Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Leaving Lisbon

+6
Thomas Crozier
sans nom
George Thompson
Mathew De Guarde
Billy Barrow
Edward Leat
10 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Leaving Lisbon - Page 11 Empty Re: Leaving Lisbon

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 am

"You are serious - this is possible?" Raoul looked from one to the other, and to Lieutenant Leat, and smiled. "It would be better than walking the entire way..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:11 am

"Much better," Leat insisted. "Doctor, I assure you it shall be no trouble. Had it been, I would not have offered. And I seriously doubt there shall be any objections from the captain - we do have the space, after all."

cat
Emily had by this time leaned so far over against Maturin's arms and chest that she oozed off the edge of the table and into his lap, settling comfortably; her purr loud enough to perhaps be considered excessive.
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; 2nd Lieutenant
Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

Stephen smiled at the men around the table, quite delighted by the prospect. "In that case I will make a request to the captain. Is he likely to be busy now?" he asked, idly ticking the cat's belly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 am

"Most likely, sir," Leat said, watching Emily making a display of herself. "But most likely in his cabin; the sort of busy where he can still be got at, if you understand me."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 am

The captain had not been on deck when the visitors arrived, but Catchpole had seen them going down to the sickby with Dr. Crozier, and so he went to inform the captain of their arrival.

Bolitho had been in his cabin, pouring over a map of the Portugese coastline in order to plan their journey to Oporto. All the preparations were going along smoothly; the necessary repairs made, food and supplies restocked. Their time in Lisbon had gone well, but it would most likely be different story when they reached Oporto.

A knock on the door made him look up, and a moment later Catchpole came into the cabin.

"Beggin' yer pardon sir, but we seem t' 'ave some visitors."

"Vistors?" Bolitho raised an eyebrow, "Who would that be?"

"Well, I 'eard one gentleman addressed as 'Dr. Maturin,' but I don't right know 'is companion's name..."

"Dr. Maturin? Surely you cannot be serious, Catchpole."

"Jus' reportin' what I 'eard, sir."

Dr. Maturin, here? Aboard the Terpsichore? Bolitho had heard of the man before, but he would not have expected him to turn up right here and now. How had he come to be there? Well, that question was irrelevant at the moment. He needed to go and greet these honoured guests at once.

"Thank you Catchpole. I shall go down to see them at once."

With that, he quickly he put on his coat and left the cabin.
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Captain
Number of posts : 1318

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/post-captain-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 am

"I do, to be sure," said Stephen lifting the indignant cat from his lap. "Do not fuss now, honey." It was lucky that he had, for at that moment Captain Bolitho walked into the wardroom, and Stephen was able to stand up and make his bow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:26 am

The arrival of another officer - one with two epaulettes - and Dr Maturin's response brought Raoul to his feet, to make his own bow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 am

Upon entering the room, Bolitho saw both of the visitors rise and bow respectfully to him. He nodded and gestured for them to sit back down.

"Greetings to you, gentlemen," he said, looking from one to the other in an attempt to determine which was the famed doctor, "I am honoured to have you aboard. Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?"
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:35 am

"My name is Maturin, Captain Bolitho; it is an honour to meet you, and to give you joy of your victory, sir," Stephen said with another, shallower bow. "I pray you will forgive me if I am not properly attired for such an introduction; in my clumsiness I fell between cutter and ship. A man on your crew was brave enough to save me and kind enough to give me these clothes while my own dried. I apologise for not presenting myself to you sooner."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:36 am

"And this, sir," Leat said, standing and indicating the two gentlemen. "Is Captain Raoul des Sablières of the Hussars; a good friend of the doctor's."

He would leave it to Bolitho to work out which Hussars he meant.
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:39 am

"Captain, I am honoured," said Raoul, only his eyes showing his amusement. To amplify Lieutenant's Leat statement immediately would be impolite.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:46 am

"There is no need to apologise at all, doctor. I am most honoured to be meeting you. I have heard many good things about you. And I am most glad you were rescued as well."

Bolitho turned from Maturin to the other man, and he tried to conceal his suprise when Leat introduced him. A Frenchman? That was most interesting indeed. Yet he did not want to appear impolite or suspicious, thus he showed no hint of his feelings as he respectfully nodded to the man.

"The pleasure is mine, captain."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 am

"As am I, sir," said Stephen with a smile. "The man's name was Billy Barrow; he is a credit to your ship."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:53 am

"Billy Barrow? Well, I shouldn't be surprised, then. He has a reputation for saving those who have tumbled overboard."

Though he thought of mentioning it, Bolitho refrained from citing the incident with De Guarde of some time earlier.
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:57 am

Stephen shifted his feet, looking embarrassed in his oversized sailor's clothes, his face flushing slightly beneath his wig. "Captain Bolitho, I realise this to be highly importunate of me, especially so soon after a first meeting, but I am afraid I come to you with a request."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:03 am

A request? What could the famous doctor be asking of him? Bolitho was more than willing to comply, provided it was in his power to do so.

"That is not at all importunate. Please do tell me. What may I do for you?"
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 am

Dr Maturin would have to mention it, Raoul thought. Not just his nationality, but the fact that he was ... It was interesting that Lieutenant Leat - who did know that he was a French prisoner - still called him Dr Maturin's friend. Raoul glanced at Dr Maturin and nodded - there was no point in beating about the bush...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 am

Stephen took a deep breath. "I am caring for a patient here in Lisbon, an officer with the British army. He of course wishes to join his fellows, and as I am currently lending my services to the army I am to accompany him as soon as he is able to travel to resume my duties there. Capitaine des Sablières, who is on parole, is to accompany us, but due to my patient's state it will be some time before he is well enough to allow us to begin our journey north, particularly as he will be on horseback. It will be two hundred miles, or thereabouts, and with only three of us traveling I fear the journey might also be a dangerous one. So I request that if you are intending to sail north that we might be permitted to accompany you. We would endeavour to be as little trouble as possible to your crew and yourself; we would be happy to stay below decks if that is more convenient. I can personally vouch for Capitaine des Sablières' integrity, behaviour and honour."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:26 am

"I will be happy to give you my personal word, as well as that I have given to ... the British Army," Raoul completed the sentence with barely a hesitation, and looked at Captain Bolitho.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am

Bolitho was silent for a moment after Maturin spoke. He had no qualms whatsoever about transporting the doctor and his patient. There was plenty of room on the ship for them, especially now that Edrington and Findlay had disembarked. Obviously there was room for Captain des Sablières as well, however Bolitho had to admit he was somewhat hesitant to grant passage to a Frenchman on parole. But if Maturin spoke so highly of him, then surely there could be no reason to object.

"Of course, doctor. We would be more than happy to give you, your patient, and Captain des Sablières passage to Oporto," he said at last.

As he spoke, he glanced at the Frenchman again. He did not seem the sort of man to have any devious intentions, and Bolitho was always inclined to think the best of others. Surely the man would not cause any trouble.
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 am

"Thank you, Sir." Raoul spoke with real gratitude. If Captain Bolitho had not accepted Dr Maturin's assurance - and his own word bore little weight on its own - the doctor would have been faced with an awkward dilemma: to abandon him, or delay everyone's departure until Captain Padstowe was fit enough to travel. "I shall try to be no trouble to you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:43 am

Stephen smiled, feeling like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders; one he had not realised was there, so inevitable was the wait and long journey. "Thank you, Captain. I cannot express what a relief this is to me, and how kind it is of you to accommodate us."

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:45 am

"I too can vouch for the Capitaine's honor, sir," Crozier said, finding his voice at last. What honor one might observe over tea and dinner. Still, he could sense that the Frenchman was an honorable man, and he trusted his own sense. And perhaps it would not hurt to add, "And Doctor Maturin is a naval surgeon - and physician - of great renown. He usually sails with Captain Aubrey, most recently aboard the Surprise, sir." Bolitho should know that he had made a good decision.
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Species : In Memoria
Number of posts : 504

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/thomas-crozie

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 am

"I appreciate the gratitude, but I assure you it is unnecessary. It shall be my pleasure to accomodate you gentlemen," Bolitho said, then with a small smile at des Sablières, he added, "All of you."

Turning to Crozier, he said, "Yes doctor, I have heard of Dr. Maturin. He has become quite well-known."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 am

Stephen felt his ears grow hot and looked down demurely at the cat, who stared back at him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next