Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Leaving Lisbon

+6
Thomas Crozier
sans nom
George Thompson
Mathew De Guarde
Billy Barrow
Edward Leat
10 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Leaving Lisbon - Page 12 Empty Re: Leaving Lisbon

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:58 am

cat
"Meeowp?"

[OOC: Very Happy]
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am

Dr Maturin's total absorbtion in the cat brought a smile to Raoul's lips, but he thought he ought to clarify one point. It had been amusing to think of marching around the deck of a British Frigate in the uniform of a French Capitaine d'Hussards, but if it was going to embarrass the Captain of the frigate, who was doing him a particular favour... "Captain - I am in something of a quandary. It clearly must be known on the ship that I am a prisoner - on parole it is true, but... an enemy, none the less. Would my presence cause less disquiet, do you think, if I wore my uniform? I do not wish to make difficulties, as I have said."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:10 am

Bolitho thought on this briefly. The men would be wary of des Sablières no matter what. It was irrelevant if he wore his uniform or not. But perhaps, in the long run, it would be better if the crew could clearly identify him.

"Personally, I would not ask you to do such a thing, captain," he said, "However, it might be better for the men if you did wear your uniform. It will draw attention, yes, but I think it would be the best course."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Captain
Number of posts : 1318

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/post-captain-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:14 am

Raoul bowed his head. "That was my first thought. In Lisbon, it causes fewer problems if I am not identified as French, but here I should feel as if I were under false colours, I believe the phrase is. I should prefer to be properly dressed."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:22 am

"That is the phrase, but I would not see it that way. I do not think it wrong or underhanded to allow a man to dress in normal attire, even though he is a prisoner. Alas, I think the men would not see it that way, which is why I think it best for you to dress in your uniform." Bolitho paused. "Though I apologise that I have to ask it of you."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 am

Raoul nodded. "No need to apologize, Captain - it will stop your men wondering which one is the Frog."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:35 am

"True, for they will certainly wonder once the word gets out. News travels rather fast aboard ship, and it would be wise not to allow too many rumors to spread," Bolitho said.

[OOC: I'm off for now. I'll be back later, but as usual, I'll probably miss everyone else...]
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 am

Crozier's mind was already wandering to the cabins, wondering who would go where. If the patient was very indisposed, Captain something, perhaps he would need to stay in the sickbay. Then des Sablières and Maturin could have the two cabins formerly occupied by the colonel and the major. But if Captain Patient required his own private cabin, which was more likely, perhaps Lieutenant George would let Crozier share his cabin. But perhaps not. The cabin was very small, after all. Perhaps there would be room to swing a hammock, an ordinary seaman's hammock in the dispensary, so one of the men could have Crozier's cabin. Or would Lieutenant Bush's cabin still be vacant? If need be, Crozier would be willing to sleep in the orlop. He brought his mind back to the present and smiled at his guests. "We'll do everything we can to make you comfortable, all three of you."
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Species : In Memoria
Number of posts : 504

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/thomas-crozie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Stephen looked up from the cat and smiled warmly in response. "That is very kind of you, Mister Crozier, thank you. Please go to no fuss at all on our account."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Raoul smiled at Crozier. "It is enough that we are spared a very long and very tiring walk, in which I would probably suffer appalling blisters and wear out my boots. And that, Dr Crozier, is thanks to your note. Without that, we would not have come to your ship."

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Crozier laughed, surprised and delighted. "In that case I suppose we also have to thank the man who - well, the wretched man without whom you and I wouldn't have met."
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 pm

"Ah, the man with the knife. I suppose - but I will not go to thank him in person. As I do you, Dr Crozier." Raoul looked across the table to Dr Maturin, still engaged with the cat. "There are things that must be done, doctor. And we have still to get back to the shore."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Stephen looked up from his staring contest; Emily arched her back in victory and walked away primly. "We do indeed. Captain, I thank you again for your kindness," he said with a bow, and then beamed at Leat and Crozier. "We shall be ready as early as ever we can - do you have a time? Should we come to the docks?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:58 pm

"I must go to Belem - but I can do that in the morning..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

"Of course, and there is essential business to be conducted at Headquarters, but we will certainly be ready for the evening tide."

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 pm

"Then perhaps you'll be needing a boat. I have to go across one more time myself."
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:32 pm

"I am subject to curfew," Raoul said, "and I ought not to breach it - even by being on one of His Majesty's frigates." He turned to the two Naval officers. "Thank you Captain, and Lieutenant, for your kindness."

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:50 pm

"I'll go ask Billy to take us across." Crozier flashed a sudden smile of uninhibited joy and laughed as he ran up the nearest ladder.
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:02 pm

"You are both most welcome," Bolitho said, bowing to Maturin and des Sablières, "We shall look forward to your return, and hopefully we will have everything sorted out with your accomodations by then."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks had been said, and arrangements for transferring to the ship had been made. It was clear, when they reached the deck again, that part of those arrangements would include a method for ensuring the safety of a man known throughout the Service. The boat arranged by Dr Crozier was already alongside, and concerned sailors waited to lend a hand to Dr Maturin. Raoul grinned at Billy Barrow, who at least would not be surprised to learn of the identity of the second visitor, when the news got out.

[OOC: we can discuss just what those arrangements are when we come to them - why tie ourselves down?]

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:06 am

Rumours, guesses, thoughts on who the new guests were, were alight amongst the men, for there wasn't a soul aboard that did not know that there had been two guests visiting their ship, nor probably the less pleasant a fact, that one of them had already gone dipping on the side of Terpsy. Like wild fire the news first spread, from one mouth to another, from those who witnessed the new arrivals, to those that heared it from them to those that heard from those that heard from those that saw.

It was interesting how the small city which Terpsy was, never allowed much to be concealed, hidden for long. Not that the guests had attempted to sneak aboard the ship, or that not the majority of men was already on deck, seeing the lieutenant and the guests to board, still even those few unlucky ones were not robbed of the knowledge.

Now some had known the doctor and speculated on what the reason of his arrival was. Two surgeons on one ship, not quite the usual. Was he here to visit the other surgeon? Was he here because the captain had become more ill, and perhaps their Dr. Crozier was unable to do more? Was he coming aboard for some other reason and would that mean that they were expecting an adventure, a voyage to the lands that none had ever dreamt off. Or were they just permitting good ol John Jeffreys to fill their heads with his ever too great an imagination.

No less, they did observe the guests in leaving with mild curiosity. The second guest they hadn't recognised and even on his account many ideas came up. An Apprentice to Dr. Maturin, perhaps just his patient - though why he were then brought aboard? Perhaps a good friend that accompanied him? Couldn't be an officer in civilian clothes, no. Out of respect to their captain surely he would have arrived in his best clothes.

A Portuguese? A British man? Some didn't have as much interest in who came and who left, so those turned to commence business as usual.

Even De Guarde spared only a brief glance to the men on deck. He turned to the boat that was already awaiting to take their guests back to port. His heart skipped a beat and he gazed in the direction of the said destination with nothing short of yerning to see it up close.

And then he yelped and jumped at first in shock and then realisation, reaching his hand to rub at the spot that had been struck.

" 'stop daydreamin' n' on with t' work, De Guarde!"

With a scowl the boy scampered from he was found standing to return to his duty. Whoever these guests were, they were leaving now. And any information about them will certainly be heared of later belowdecks.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 am

A boat crew had been called again, to ferry the two doctors and Doctor Maturin's friend back ashore. Chase had slipped quickly away from the working party he'd been assigned to and hurried to clamber down into the boat. The chance to learn more about Terpsichore's visitors was too good to pass up.
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 1351

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jacob-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 am

Someone had been kind enough to tie up Stephen's damp clothes in a sailcloth bundle for ease of carrying - this and his bag were passed down into the boat before him. It seemed that John Lakes had quickly tutored his messmates on What Dr. Maturin was Capable Of (and had clearly exaggerated this), for he was passed down from strong hands to strong hands like a parcel of mail, at least two men holding him at any point, so that there was no chance of his falling in - for all his kicking or the portholes and curse-laden assurances that he was quite fine - until he was settled in the boat and wedged between two rowers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 am

Crozier nimbly climbed down and landed lightly opposite the doctor. "Did you arrange a time with the captain to come back tomorrow? Probably the boat can be sent for you again. Will your patient be able to sit comfortably in a boat?"
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 am

Raoul climbed down after the doctor, taking care not to be the second visitor to fall into the sea from the side of the ship. He took his seat as Dr Crozier quizzed Dr Maturin. The captain would send the boat, of course, for them and Captain Padstowe - arrangements would need to be made to bring Padstowe down to the dock. The Captain could sit in a boat, yes, with support - depending on how calm the water was in the estuary, and at the moment it seemed fine, fine.

Raoul sat back and caught the eye of another of the sailors who had tackled the man with the knife, listening to the conversation between the two doctors.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next