Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Leaving Lisbon

+6
Thomas Crozier
sans nom
George Thompson
Mathew De Guarde
Billy Barrow
Edward Leat
10 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Leaving Lisbon - Page 13 Empty Re: Leaving Lisbon

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:22 am

As Stephen discussed the arrangements with Crozier, who was quite a charming, earnest fellow, he caught sight of a flash of silver in the water, independent of the oars, but after the earlier incident he did not dare lean over for a closer look. He sat up very properly, darting longing glances at the fish - it was probably nothing more than the most common harbour-dweller, but it was not a human at least...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:53 am

Raoul listened to the two doctors discussed Captain Padstowe's needs. Crozier was clearly keen to do everything in his power to ensure that the new guests - the new patient - would be well received, and that to ensure his senior, esteemed colleague that all the best facilities would be available. There were things he needed to discuss with Dr Maturin, but they could wait until they were ashore. He did not expect any difficulty over his parole - Captain Padstowe could arrange that with the stroke of a pen - but he had to go to Belem, and ... Could he do anything to ensure that Thierry was not left to rot in some British prison? He owed him everything. Dr Maturin would help if there was anything to be done, he knew that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:09 am

The boat got underway once the passengers were settled. Chase pulled evenly at his oar, intrigued by what he was hearing. Was there to a third guest with them when they weighed anchor the next day? A wounded one to boot?

Hm. He'd have to ask Barrow what he'd heard earlier, if anything.
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 1351

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jacob-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:23 am

As the conversation faded, Stephen was able to give more of his attention to the fish: dissection, collecting, music - he longed for them, the old distractions, or the time to write a diary entry even, or just to sit in quiet conversation or reverie. His face brightened - he would have time to do at least the least of those things on the Terpsichore.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 am

Raoul watched as Dr Maturin's expression ... relaxed. He was staring into the water, between two of the rowers, but Raoul could see nothing beyond the surface glitter. The sea journey would be particularly good for the doctor, he realized. Food would be thrust upon him, and he would not have to run all over Lisbon, doing without sleep. Even his injuries could be allowed to heal as they rested. The boat touched the steps as the little midshipman called out to bring up their oars... the language seemed wrong coming from so small a boy, in a childish treble, but no one seemed perturbed or annoyed, and the reaction turned it into simple nautical terms rather than abuse. One of the seamen jumped onto the steps with a rope. Even in the hour or so that they had been away, the tide had risen so the distance to the top of the steps was shorter. It would reach its height in three more steps, Raoul theorized, and tomorrow's evening tide would be almost an hour later than that. He accepted the man's help to climb up the three remaining slippery steps and the dry ones, to the dock.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:32 am

Chase boated his oar and hopped quickly out onto the dock steps. Being up in the bow of the boat usually had its advantages. With a grin, he helped Doctor Maturin's friend out of the boat and made sure the man got safely up the steps to the dock. Next was Doctor Maturin himself, and he would need more careful assistance. Honestly, the man had gone overboard just trying to get from the boat up the entry ladder!
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 1351

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jacob-

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Crozier Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:24 am

"Well, gentlemen, this is where I leave you to run my final errands," Crozier said, shaking their hands by turns. "I'm sleeping ashore tonight, so I'll be at Mrs. Grose's if you need me. But otherwise I'll see you tomorrow, God willing." He grinned eagerly at them both, by now looking comfortably happy in Doctor Maturin's presence. "I can't tell you how pleased I am at the prospect of our voyage together, even if it's a short one. Goodbye, until tomorrow."
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Species : In Memoria
Number of posts : 504

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/thomas-crozie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:14 am

"Goodbye, and thank you," Raoul said, offering his hand to Crozier. "We will have much time to talk then, I hope."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:23 pm

The Terpsys learned fast - Stephen was passed out of the boat, his arms pinned to his side with kind apologies that that he could not attempt to assist himself in any way, and was only released by the two sailors holding him once he was firmly settled on a dry step.

He shook Mister Crozier's hand, smiling warmly - he was beginning to feel the warm eagreness that he had learnt to identify as excitement before a new voyage. "Thank you for everything you have done for us, Mister Crozier - it has been the greatest pleasure to make your acquaintance. I look forward to our traveling together."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:32 pm

After they had parted from the doctor, Raoul looked at the doctor, whose appearance in oversized clothes attracted little attention here, where everyone was used to sailors and their outfits - even their ill-fitting outfits. Higher in the town it would be more unusual.

"I think that our visit of courtesy to Dr Crozier has repaid the effort," he said, smiling. "I am so glad that I shall not be made to march all the way."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Stephen smiled up at des Sablières and nodded. "As am I - it would have been impolite to say it on the ship, but I had been rather dreading it. Quite apart from my worry for Captain Padstowe, it would have been a hard and dangerous journey."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Raoul's expression changed as he thought over what Dr Maturin had said. "It would have been no more dangerous than most journeys for much of the way - though I must have concealed my identity, simply to avoid arousing curiosity it would be difficult to satisfy. But ... If we had been attacked ..." He lifted one hand and dropped it. "I could have fallen to the ground curled into a ball, and waited to see who won - but ... No, I do not know what I would have done."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:59 pm

"If we had been attacked by the Portuguese, I expect we would be able to talk ourselves out of danger." Stephen looked sombre. "But if a French patrol had found us, we would be done for. With Captain Padstowe injured, and you - I could never expect you to fight your own countrymen - then there would only have been myself. Surrender would have been the only option."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:09 pm

"Yes," Raoul's mouth twisted in acknowledgement. "I am more than glad to be spared that problem. I could have tried to talk them out of taking you and Captain Padstowe as prisoners - especially if they were far to the south. I would have tried. But if I had failed..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:14 pm

"If you had failed... The communication may not be good from Oporto, especially with the British army between us and them. I am sure all would have been well, and it is possible that it would never have happened in any case," said Stephen with a false smile, trying to reassure the young captain. Such a conflict of loyalty - if there would be any conflict, he chastisied himself; a matter of honour - was a chilling idea to him, and he would not have envied des Sablières at all, the poor man. And he knew that he would indeed have tried, even with the threat of a charge of fraternisation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Raoul shook his head, but smiled. "It is well to be spared that. I do not know if I believe that British sailors are so much better than the French, as Lieutenant Leat says, but it seems that your Navy has the upper hand in these waters. And once we have rejoined your army... you will be safe with them."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:25 pm

"We will see," Stephen said, his smile twisting. "But you will be, Capitaine. I will do what I can to see that you are exchanged as soon as possible," he continued, but did not include the mental addition of if you wish to return to that army.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:35 pm

Raoul nodded: "Thank you. I ... will be glad." He returned the smile, his eyes bright. "The invitation to visit us, when the war is over, that will remain. I would not like to think..." He shook his head in slight confusion. "That is for the future. For now, is there anything we must do before we return to Senhora Santana and Captain Padstowe?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:04 pm

"Nothing that must be done tonight - the Senhora was going to prepare a cozido for us, so we need not buy food - we must visit Belem tomorrow, and I must do some paperwork, but we can only do that once the captain knows of the new arrangements. I cannot think of anything else."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Raoul hoisted his saddlebags more comfortably onto his shoulder and smiled down at the doctor. "A cozido? Then we must not be late, and Captain Padstowe must not be made to worry." A good friend of the doctor's, the Lieutenant had said: a friend he would be sorry to lose, but of course he wanted his exchange, even if Brissac had already been speaking against him. In fact, that made it more important that he return to defend his name against such talk. Even if it meant leaving his British friends behind, for the duration of the war.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:50 am

"A stew - it is very good, very filling," said Stephen, looking forward to it. He was looking forward to traveling on the Terpsichore even more , where he could sleep to his heart's content, and food came without fail at a particular time, and he would be able to sit on the taffrail and watch the wake of the ship and try to sort through the myriad dark spectres in his mind, Paix looming largest, or to confront them on paper.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am

"Come then." Raoul had been casually watching the boat as it pulled back towards Terpsichore, but now he turned to look up into the town. "We will go back, and ... Tomorrow we can go to Belem in the morning, and say goodbye. Even if nothing is arranged for them, it will please them that there is a chance of my exchange."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:41 am

"I would like to check them on more time before we sail," said Stephen. "And to give them my good wishes in person - they are deserving of every happiness, except Moreau, the villain."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 am

"Then you will come too," Raoul smiled his relief. "It will be pleasant to return with you... It was a long time ago, that first walk out there." A difficult walk that had been, for both of them - tomorrow would be better, although Stephen still suffered from injuries, and Raoul's conscience would never lose the guilt. "It might, you thought, be possible to arrange an exchange for Thierry - or simply to send him back to France? Is that certain enough to tell him, or should it wait?" Raoul paused before walking through the gate to the dockyard, then said: "Would you like me to carry your bundle?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:00 am

"It is fine, so; not heavy at all," said Stephen. He sighed. "I promise to do whatever I can for Thierry - it is perfectly possible that I will not need to do anything at all - but there is not only the matter of exchange but bringing him safely to France. I will have more influence when we reach the army; I am not known to anyone here." He smiled up at Raoul. "It is certain enough that I will try, and you can tell him that."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next