Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

July 23, 1809: The message arrives

5 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 Empty Re: July 23, 1809: The message arrives

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:34 pm

"Barrel slipped through his fingers and caught the toe with the rim first - the boot couldn't prevent the bone from the impact of the edge."

Torrington confirmed.

"No, half an hour should be quite alright. If Vickery should come, he could perhaps sign two thigs here - otherwise please tell him that I will do myself the honour of bothering him tomorrow morning for his signature."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

July 23, 1809: The message arrives  - Page 4 Empty Re: July 23, 1809: The message arrives

Post  Timothy Willoughby Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 pm

"I think he will be quite hard pressed to come now, and sleep somewhat longer in the morning for it." Willoughby laughed softly. "Alright." With a curt salute, without the sword this time he retreated towards he exit of the tent. "An easy and fast completion of the last task." He wished then ducked out the tent. He looked like a mishmash of officer and trooper attire, the old contrasting with the new even if the first had still been taken as good care of as Willoughby could master.

Herrero would love the news too. No longer just a trooper's horse, he would now have the pride of being an officer's horse! With that came some benefits which Herrero has felt justified and only befitting to his excellence and which he should have had much sooner!

But first, Willoughby needed to find Captain Vickery's tent and hope that the man was there. He felt nice, warm and fuzzy. When outside, he saw the young rifleman hunched over, asleep. He chuckled quietly. It was a strange, unusual sight. The bundle of energy has finally met his match. No doubt however, come morning, he will be up and buzzing about like a good little bee, doing ten things all at the same time and never spilling a drop of coffee. He passed him silently, only making sure that the youth could not tip over into the fire, should the gravity pull him any further down in any direction and then walked on. No good in having a roasted batman for breakfast!

The world, with all its worst moments, was great today! He may have gotten a few funny faces after having hummed a merry tune to himself, a few confused, at the sight of his new sash that was made of much better materials, but he did not care. With his papers on promotion, his letter from his grandfather and no duel on his conscience because he had offended Torrington with his horse, things could not have gone better.

Last edited by Timothy Willoughby on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Freddie's possition and state written with owner's permission and guidance. :))
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 am

Torrington sighed, shook his head, straightend out his cuffs, and settled down to work again. When he had finished the powder accounts, he took a sip from his coffee, but it had gone cold.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am

Willoughby passed several campfires before he reached the one from the 95th rifles. He approached the tent and looked around to see if Cotton, Vickery's batman, was anywhere to be found and equally if Vickery happened to be outside.

He adjusted his sword a little and straightened giving an air of one who had not just drunk several glasses of wine. Ready to see Vickery!
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 am

Cotton was sitting cross-legged (as much as he could, he not being the most supple of men) near a fire, one eye on the kettle hung over it, whistling tunelessly as he rubbed Captain Vickery's sword down.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

"Hey." Willoughby spotted Cotton and turned to walk to him. "Cotton!" He grinned at the man. "Do you know where Captain Vickery is?" He inquired. " Is he in his tent?" He was hopeful that it would be just this easy.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am

"Hulloa," Cotton called across cheerily, looking up from his task. He frowned as he realised the cavalryman was wearing an officer's sash over his jacket, in some strange confusion of uniform. What on earth...?

"The Captain? Oh - he's inside. D'you want me to see if he'll see you?" he asked, setting the sword to one side and getting to his feet.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:04 am

"That would be great." Willoughby nodded wondering if Cotton was actually having trouble in recognising him. He would have been surprised if it was so but never the less he added. "Can you tell him that Willoughby wishes to speak with him?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 am

"O' course," Cotton said, wondering why Willoughby would think he might not have recognised him. He had no problem recognising people, after all.

"Back d'rectly minute," he said instead, lifting the tent-flap and ducking inside. A murmur of voices - Cotton's slightly deeper one and Vickery's marginally higher tenor - could be heard, though no words could be made out.

Cotton came back out. "He'll see you, if you'd like to go in," he said, still trying to solve the puzzle of sash and other ranks' uniform.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 am

"Thank you." Willoughby smiled. "...I'll explain when I'm back." He suddenly added as he passed Cotton. He must have noticed the look his sash was getting or guessed.

Ducking under the flap he entered Vickery's tent. He glanced about quickly and then went a few steps further in before stopping.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 am

Vickery had re-capped his inkwell and was just wiping his pen off. "What can I do for you?" he said, turning in his chair to look up at the cavalryman. "Cotton said you wanted to see me, though he didn't say why."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am

"Yes, sir." Willoughby took another step forward and then held the paper that announced his promotion for Vickery to read. "Just wanted to come here to tell you the good news in person."

He debated whether to tell him out right or have Vickery read it instead. " Of course I've not been able to get everything changed properly, but...these are a nice start." He indicated his sabre and sash.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:38 am

Vickery took the offered sheet with a slight frown of bemusement. He read it through once, then a second time, before giving it back and standing up. "Well, it seems you are to be congratulated, Cornet. May I offer you my hand?" He held his hand out, a smile on his face.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am

Willoughby offered his for the handshake and grinned. "Thank you. Though I must say that it is not on the grounds of extraordinary success but rather it is due to a purchase." He held himself much straighter and prouder. The change was evident even if he was just a small step higher and still subordinate to almost all.

"I wished to invite you to a small bit of celebration that is being held at Torrington's tent. Just a bit of wine I managed to bring. Nothing serious."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am

"Most promotions are due to purchase," Vickery said. "There's nothing at all wrong with that. Though I suggest you find yourself a suitable jacket as quickly as you may - you will confuse everybody if you continue dressed like that. I'd offer to lend you mine, but the colour is quite wrong, even if the pattern is not. Lead on, by all means." He indicated the tent-flap. "If Torrington won't mind us descending on him, anyway."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:02 am

"Oh, I do know it is not." He smiled. "Most promotions are done in that way, though it earns you less bragging rights than if your exemplary achievements had earned you a new rank." He was cheerful either way.

"Do not worry about my uniform, it should be sorted out very soon while I will return this one, pelisse, dolman and all." He slipped out from the tent and held the flap open for Vickery to follow him. "Oh, there is another matter he wishes to discuss with you..or rather, that you need to sign for him. He told me to notify you of that as well."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 am

"Sign... I am not signing anything more for the rest of the day. I think my hand may be about to fall off if I do," Vickery said lightly. "Really, the amount of paperwork one does as a company commander on detached service is simply incredible - company returns, receipts for this and that, company accounts to be double-checked..." He grinned. "Still, you won't have as much paperwork as that, being only a Cornet and not on detached service." He clapped Willoughby on the shoulder. "Let us toast your good fortune, then."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 am

"I worry about that part of my service and hope, trully hope, that my pile of paperwork does not rise to be as high as either yours or Captain Torrington's." His grin widened and he laughed softly and merrily.

".. you would not happen to know how much of it a cornet must do, perhaps have a few small pointers on where to be careful when 'starting the career' of an officer?" He inquired and added with a grin. "Oh .. and he also told me to tell you that, in the case you do not sign it today,.. two things he has, he will have to bother you tomorrow morning with it!"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am

"I cannot speak from experiences of being a cavalry officer for I have never been such," Vickery said. "But learn your trade. And remember an officer's eyes are more important than his sword, for your men will look to you to decide what should be done - though give them the result you wish for and let them figure out how best to do it, for they know their skills and what may be done, and you should learn how best to employ them." He thought a little more. "If you need advice in a situation, never be afraid to listen to your sergeant - a good sergeant is worth his weight in gold. But the final decision will be yours alone - and whether it is right or wrong, it is your responsibility."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

"I can say at least, I have not been completely ignorant of the ways the cavalry is run, being that I've not come from outside but have... served in the ranks, for the better or worse." Willoughby smiled, agreeing on all points that Vickery had made. "Though we might not act in similar fashion to the Riflemen." He added softly.

"...I knew that there were reasons why the rank of an officer did not sound like such a brilliant idea!" He spoke in mock horror then smiled. "I will lend an ear to the non commissioned and hopefully preserve as much life as I can, while gaining the results needed. ... I will need to inform my friends of this change too."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 pm

"It's not so bad. If one does take the responsibility for failure, one also gets the recognition for success," Vickery pointed out. "Here we are," he added as they approached Torrington's tent.

"Is my lord Torrington at home to friends?" he enquired in a slightly louder voice so that Torrington could hear.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 am

"Depends ... do said friends bring any more paperwork or are going to insist on formal addresses?", Torrington called back, tidying his desk.

He had mostly finished what he had to do, though he would probably read through it once again tomorrow morning, just to make sure he had not made any mistakes due to his tiredness.

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am

"Not at all," Vickery replied, his voice light. "One of them has had quite enough paperwork of his own, after all. Although he has been informed that has yet more things to sign. May we come in?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am

Torrington pulled the canvas back to allow his guests easy entry.

"Yes, of course. And if you could just sign off on the powder and the incident report, then I can hunt down Captain Fraser in the morning for his signature and be done with this."

He smiled at Vickery and gestured to the two documents he had left on his desk, then looked at Willoughby with a raised eyebrow, silently asking whether all was still well.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 am

Willoughby nodded in return, knowhing that at a later time, tomorrow maybe, he might return and have cotton less in the dark about his comical attire. Now though he strolled to the table and gazing at Torrington and then towards where another glass , neatly wrapped up, could be foound, as if asking for permission to take one and pour wine in it for Vickery.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next