Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
July 23, 1809: The message arrives  EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

July 23, 1809: The message arrives

5 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

July 23, 1809: The message arrives  Empty July 23, 1809: The message arrives

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:21 am

After all that had happened that day, the post was what he had least expected. What he expected even less were the formal papers that came with it. He had been called to his superior officer. The conversation was not all about the news, though the news was delivered quickly afterwards, and needed a little more time to sink in. The officer had been surprised, especially as he must have read and reread it several times, willing to complain that there was no such man amongst his ranks. Only a while later had he figured it out and Willoughby was called.

The reason for the longer conversation might have been the very fact that Timothy Willoughby was not just a simple common lad of considerably to do family, but rather a Lord.

Even now it still felt quite hazy and he hoped the recollection of all that had happened would be clearer once his new station had become more normal and right in his mind. He had no idea how to relay it to his friends who would, from now on, no longer remain as equals but as subordinates. He would deal with this later though. First he needed to see Torrington, for it was that man who had been the push behind this all.

He hurried his step, passing the few camp fires that separated his current location from Torrington's tent. There, closer now, he straightened a bit. He looked for the young, overenergetic, overexcited lad that was Torrington's batman hoping to spot him and ask him to announce him to his master.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

July 23, 1809: The message arrives  Empty Re: July 23, 1809: The message arrives

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Freddie was not quite his energetic self - helping to blow a bridge up combined with fighting French infantry and topped by a long march back had managed to subdue even him. Mylord Torrington had said that he had to take care of some paperwork and, after recieving a pot of coffee and some cheese and bisquits, told him that he wouldn't be needed anymore for tonight and to go get some rest. So now Freddie was sitting in front of the cooking fire and was trying to get the startling amount of dust they had aquired during their expedition out of his rifle and Trueno's saddle.
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Species : Rifleman, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 442

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1678-friedrich-rottlander

Back to top Go down

July 23, 1809: The message arrives  Empty Re: July 23, 1809: The message arrives

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Willoughby spotted the lad. He looked somewhat subdued, which surprised the young hussar. He was used to seeing him bounce about going after this or that thing, doing plenty of jobs all at the same time. It was later in the day so perhaps he could consider that, on top of all the events that had happened, the reason for his energy levels to have been spent at least a little bit.

"Good evening. " He greeted him, even though he could now have demanded a different approach. "Do you know if your captain is still awake?" Even a flickering light inside of the tent could not confirm at full certainty that Torrington had not just forgotten to blow it out.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 am

Freddie scrambled to his feet and grinned, though a bit more wearily than usual.

"Yes, he is? Do you bring a letter? I will tell him you are here."

Gesticulating towards the pot over the fire, he invited Willoughby:

"Do you want some tea? It is ... Brombeere. The dark ones? Just take yourself - I will tell Mylord."
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 am

Well the letter he had with him was not exactly for Torrington though it was the proof of his efforts. Willoughby decided to nod. "Thank you." He realised how thirsty he was. "May I borrow a mug?" He inquired, clearly not having brought his own and quite certain he would not drink from the big kettle.

"Don't need to hurry, we're not in haste." He smiled at the batman.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:28 am

"Yes ... sicher ... uh, here!"

Freddie took his own mug, swallowed the last dregs in it, dunked it into the washing water he had put next to the fire for all the stuff he had to clean from their expedition, then looked around, discarded the oily rifle rag and finally swept the mug dry with his shirtsleeves and presented it - all within less than five seconds.
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:36 am

Wiloughby laughed softly. "Still as impressive." He spoke as he took the dry mug from Freddie and moved to pour himself some of the freshly made tea. Friedrich did really give some of the batmen the run for their money, atleast what speed was concerned, but he was young. He would probably slow down when he got some years on his person. If he did not, well, hopefully Torrington could handle him and not get too spoiled by speed. He could get dreadfully disappointed when at home his servants would not be as quick.

Impatiently though he gazed towards the tent, taking a few sips from his mug. He still needed so many things to do, so many expanses to cover and he had also not heard from his grandfather yet, but the first step had been made. He hoped he could afford it until his proper finances returned.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am

Freddie grinned, perked up by the friendly company, and ducked ino the tent. The brief conversation was too soft to be heard outside, but after a minute, Freddie reappeared and held open the tent flap with a cheerful:

"As long as you don't bring any more orders to go somewhere and blow up perfectly servicable structures, you can come in and .. be ... welcome?"

Realizing that he probably was not meant to repeat the engineer's exact words, Freddie trailed off with a sheepish look on his face and waved Willoughby inside.
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:54 am

Willoughby smiled back, taking a few more sips from the drink. "I'll be most obliged if you tell me how you've made this brew. It is really delicious and quite different from what I am used to." He could sense the fruity tastes, the mixture of things that the young rifleman must have put in it. It was something for the senses, a much nicer experience than the usually bitter brew.

He got up and sipped the mug empty, unwilling to have Freddie unable to drink more just because he was in possession of his mug.

He held it to him sheepishly this time. "I'd have washed it, can do, if you give me a moment.." He said, though eager to enter that tent as well and not have Torrington waiting.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:57 am

Properly horrified by the thought of keeping Torrington waiting longer than necessary, Freddie immediately snatched the mug back.

"Oh, no, no, no! I wash, you go in! I will tell you the Rezept later - though it is ... much of everything on the way?"
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 am

"Alright, thank you." Willoughby passed Freddie, glad that the lad had solved his problem for him and he would also get a recipe for that nice brew of tea. He straightened a little, adjusted his pelisse and then entered with a few long strides. The paper carrying news was already in hand. It was a paper meant for him, but he could most certainly share it with the other officer.

"Good evening, sir?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:22 am

The engineer was seated at his desk, busily writing what appeared to be a report, but when he realized that his visitor was not some random hussar with a message, but Willoughby, he put the pen down, flipped the ink-well shut and got to his feet. Eyeing what he could see of the seals and letterheads warily, he still forced his features into a pleased expression.

"Gwydyr! Good evening. What a pleasant surprise - even if you too seem to be bend on foisting another official looking bunch of papers on me."

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:27 am

"Oh do not worry, " Willoughby smiled, holding his hands open in a manner that was neither threatening - as if papers could bite the poor engineer - nor intrusive. "I bring only one paper and this, I will take back with me... After I have shown it to you."

He held the paper out towards Torrington, and then made a slight bow. "May I present to you..." And then he was quiet , as if waiting for Torrington to read first and then he could just make that grand announcement too. Sure he still spoke to a superior, but he was no longer a private to an officer, if was a cornet to a captain!
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:09 am

Edward accepted the papers, one eyebrow raised in silent question, but when Willoughby seemed unwilling to complete the sentence, he bend his head over them and started to read. After the first page, the eyebrow climbed to the hairline and he flicked through the other documents before looking up with a pleasantly surprised expression.

"My congratulations! Matters proceeded faster than I had anticipated. This waited for you when you came back? How did your captain take it?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:34 am

"As you may imagine, he was terribly displeased to realise that I was not a mere Timothy Willoughby, a trooper and a lad from some enough to do family. He was equally displeased to not have learned earlier of my real status." He waved a hand grinning.

"He welcomed me after a bit of a lecture, a few words spoken firmly and even decided to consider an apology for having me dumped with that spotted horse." He shrugged and straightened again. He was fortunate that Atkins needed to be returned to England and might not return at all to Spain.

"After that fiasco, he had told me that I need to get my uniform sorted as quickly as possible and well.. to not bore you with details, I am officially a cornet now and my expanses will rise to the sky."

He rolled his eyes. "The horse, the saddle, the whole uniform and probably some necessary society 'symbols' I am to have, just to appease the rest."

He thought of the tea cups and similar additions to his personal belongings."But at least I might finally have some more sugar. I've quite missed that." He kept grinning though looked somewhat apologetic at having spoken so much.

"Thank you, sir.. lord Torrington. I owe it all to you." It was not being humble or anything, but simple truth. "How may I make it up to you ...at least other than the monetary return when my funds improve again. That is.. may I invite you for a bit of ..celebration?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:35 am

Torrington waved the thanks aside impatiently.

"Well, since I seem to have begun all this, it undoubtedly behooves me to see that you are not a disgrace to your new rank."

He held out his hand.

"Sooo... hand over the list. I will write to my agent in Lisbon to honour your bills and see what he can do to rig you out properly. I can lend you a horse for the time being, or do you wish to try to buy that spotted stallion you are riding? He seems to be rather too good horse to be handed over to some common trooper."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:45 am

Willoughby looked sheepish again. "Are you certain.."Though of course he needed the money and to be kitted properly. It would not do that his first proper service as a cornet would begin with him looking no different than the troopers he lead.

He held the list out slowly. "Herrero.." He began, to give name to his horse. While he had been an embarrassment to him before, as his colour was rather ungainly, he had grown fond of the animal who had dared believe he was better even than Wellington's own horse.

"I think I would keep him if I can. He is a fine animal, better, I would think, than the average horse a trooper has. Home from around here..." He shrugged slowly. "And what reputation I had lost because of his strange appearance, had been lost already, no more can be gone." It would probably also inconvenience Torrington less than if he also had to lend a horse to a trooper.. nay a cornet.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:00 am

"Well, you probably know the proceedings to buy him off better than I do ... so just tell me where the money is needed!"

He took the list, briefly glanced at it, then folded it up and put it into his pocket.

"I'll certainly be glad to celebrate your return to your rightful station ... will a glass of wine do for tonight, though? I need to finish this before somebody thinks there is still a bridge there and falls into the water."

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:16 am

"I will do the paperwork to sign the horse to me, alright." Willoughby hesitated. "There is another thing, Lord Torrington." He shifted a bit, hesitant in that. It was hard to request yet more money when Torrington has been rather generous already and he did not know for certain whether his grandfather would take him back into his good graces. It was a gamble, but he wished to leave the other matter be no longer. There have been some officers sent back to London and this was the best time, if ever could be one.

"I would like to ask you for your permission...that is.." He shifted again. "I have another matter that needs to be addressed and your permission be granted at this time, and I promise to reimburse you, once I am in a better position. I would like to have Bella." He smiled sheepishly. "She is really beautiful, lovely dark locks, a fine step you can have no better, a most comfortable ride too. I would like to have her again and for this I need your assistance."

He would leave the short suggestion of celebration be for now but certainly a glass of wine would do and a better, larger, grander one, when he could supply more quality drink.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:23 am

The rather fine bottle of Spanish wine slipped through the engineer's fingers and shattered the glasses on the table.

With a perfectly emotionless voice, Torrington asked:

"I beg your pardon?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:36 am

"Bella. She is a really fine thing. Lean, muscle in all the right places." Willoughby looked startled at Torrington's reaction to his question. He leaned down to pick at the pieces then stopped. The liquid was luckily tarnishing mostly the floor and that was dirt and the like anyway.

"I admit i have not been careful enough with her. I should have kept greater care." He sighed. He really should not have let Wellington's mount come close to her! He had not told of the slight mishap to anyone, let alone her present owners. He wondered if they had figured it yet. " Though nobody knows yet of this, I think. I had only learned later too.. and well, she is pregnant now. "

He looked seriously at Torrington. "So, since it is my fault, and I really do like her, I'd like to keep her, properly now."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:11 am

Stepping well clear of the table and placing a hand not too subtly on his sword, Torrington asked with a much too calm voice:

"Mylord, what exactly are you asking of me?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:15 am

"May I purchase Bella and borrow the money from you. I will ask for nothing more.." Willoughby did take a step back, he was trying to figure out why Torrington's hand was suddenly hovering so close to his sabre and why he seemed to have changed from tired but happy into a man who had felt he was slighted.

Was there something the matter with asking him for more money? He did not seem to mind earlier. About the mare? He blinked. What could possibly be wrong with asking him for Bella.

Oh.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 am

"Purchase Bella ..."

As tired and rattled as he was, even Torrington realized now that some things were not quite fitting together.

"Willoughby, what the ... are you talking about?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 am

"There is a mare with the 62nd. Bella." Willoughby hurried to explain. "She is a beautiful horse, black legs, tail and mane, buckskin sort. Honey coloured coat. I did not name her Bella, just got her when I lost....Bayard." His gaze dropped at the name.

"..I had to return her to the 62nd once I was with the 15th again, got Herrero then. I had wanted to purchase her somehow, but they refused.. probably because I was a trooper and really....what would a trooper do with two. I did not mean Lady Isabella at all!" He shook his head sharply. "I have most respect for your sister, Lord Torrington! It would be the last thing on my mind to cause her distress! I am wounded you would think so!"

".and truly. A misfortune in names, but I wish to buy my mare back. I'll return the money the moment I can, I promise." He finished, regaining much of his confidence with his new rank. He may have only been promoted to cornet, but that was enough.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next