Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Rates and pranks and things EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Rates and pranks and things EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Rates and pranks and things EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Rates and pranks and things EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Rates and pranks and things EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Rates and pranks and things EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Rates and pranks and things EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Rates and pranks and things EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Rates and pranks and things EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Rates and pranks and things EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Rates and pranks and things

+7
sans nom
William Bush
Billy Barrow
Maggie Cotton
Tom Oxley
Mathew De Guarde
Jacob Chase
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rates and pranks and things Empty Rates and pranks and things

Post  Jacob Chase Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am

The idea struck me, not too long ago, to try out a couple plots for Terpsichore. First one is to give Chase a promotion - most likely to mast-captain - and let him have fun with that. Should be easy and whatnot.

Second one is a prank on Chase (and perhaps some other sailor), relating to his promotion. He would flip his lid if he was told he was getting rated a mate to whomever, which makes it a prime idea for some ships' boys to have a go at.

And third is the drummer plot involving De Guarde, Oxley, and the Shepherds. This one is just begging to be carried off, but it could stand other players getting in on the action.

Thoughts?
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 1351

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jacob-

Back to top Go down

Rates and pranks and things Empty Re: Rates and pranks and things

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:06 am

*votes for promotion to mast-captain! *grin* Do you mean first and second coming/happening as one after the other?

And of course for the third, we are just needing to point to the right date/time and Very Happy alas De Guarde shall be there! (and he will be dragging the other boys if he has to!).
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 am

The second one could happen before the first, as a way to get Chase spun up nicely, before the truth is broken to him. ^_^
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 am

Hehe, and he would not believe it when he is told of his real promotion, which would also be entertaining! Very Happy Right?
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am

Just so. *nods* Poor old Chase. I wonder if Mister Bush would be willing to bend that far for the sake of a joke...
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 am

I think that would work.

As for the timing of the drummer prank: We're on the afternoon of the 24th, with the provasts coming aboard later (early evening, I think it is), by which time de Guarde' ashore, legitimately, as part of today's liberty party.

25th: Thompson, Chase, Dyer and the others get hauled in front of the Captain and set to work as punishment for getting caught.

So, I think the earliest they could do it, really, without inciting any further wrath in the officers is the 26th.

(I also think the officers should start to mellow, even a little, where de Guarde is concerned - he's not always and forever in trouble, after all. Though if anyone can think up a reason for him to get back in their good books, it'd help. Very Happy )
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Species : Royal Marine drummer
Number of posts : 2083

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/privat

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am

Would chase be deemed to deserve a promotion so soon after punishment?

And officers should never mellow towards De Guarde. He needs to be toughened up anyway. Very Happy
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am

Sure he would , we all know he was punished for something he did not deserve , and the lieutenants know that even more than the Tars ;D. Plus he did much honest work since. (suffering DG in his mess amongst other things). *grin*

25th or 26th works fine for me, for the OSDeG prank!

Haha, Oh ye cruel woman! *chuckle*
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am

Oh, you're mean, Miss Maggie.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Species : Royal Marine drummer
Number of posts : 2083

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/privat

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

I mean the punishment of being put in irons (and whatever punishment is going to follow it).

Not that I would ever naysay his promotion myself!

I still want to make a new lieutenant, and we still need to get our new surgeon too.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 am

Yes... though the mess with provosts might not necessarily be cause to overturn any decision to promote him?

As to the new surgeon - it may be better to skip over his actual coming aboard and leap right into his being around and about?
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Barrow Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 am

He (surgeon) COULD just burst in on the scene with Tide and Billy!
Billy Barrow
Billy Barrow
Lieutenant

Species : Royal Navy; Captain's cox'n
Number of posts : 695

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/billy-barrow-

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Very true. *nods* Wouldn't that be awkward...
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  William Bush Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

I think Chase getting a promotion is believable; Bolitho has been loathe to punish any of them in the first place, so I don't think he'd have a problem promoting Chase. Not sure if Bush would be willing to be involved with the prank, though.

As to De Guarde, I think the reaction depends on the officer. I'm willing to have Bolitho be a bit more lenient towards him, but Bush is just naturally more stern to everyone, not only De Guarde. (Plus I'd say he's still a bit steamed at De Guarde after the dinner incident. Wink)

And since we're throwing out plot ideas, it's been suggested that Bush should go ashore with today's liberty party (after the provosts have come and gone, obviously). Shall I go ahead with that? (Personally I'd love to have him end up getting a bit tipsy, but maybe that's a little too OOC...)
William Bush
William Bush
Ship's Cook

Species : Royal Navy, 1st Lieutenant
Number of posts : 234

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/lieute

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Aww, Bush got MORE than tipsy that time with Hornblower, when he was leaning his head over sideways onto the table so Hornblower could get a better view of his huge smile, and when he was astonished that the ship could sway so much at anchor... Maybe he just needs a good drinking partner. Very Happy
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

The incident in which a midshipman had been 'promoted' to becoming an admiral of the narrow seas? halo *snicker* Wonder how long it took to get that out of his breeches, and who'd done the dirty deed! Egad.. don't even want to imagine how it felt with the fabric all clammy and.....
paperbag

Hehe, I'm ok with however the officers feel to act! (No, De Guarde, you do not have a say in the matter, so hush and go back to cleaning!)

Hmm, there's another reason for why Bush could go on land, though I don't think that would be a fun one. Mostly, since he couldn't even get drunk. If he was sent there to make sure that the rest were not up to no good because of the recent events, he'd have to be prancing about but without drink, so nah. Better he has his free time, aye? Can get drunk because of all the madness that he has to endure on the ship! It is just TOO much Very Happy!

And which should we do sooner, the prank on Chase or the other prank? Given, we could do both close to one another, just that the perpetrators of one, would not be able to be up for the other one. Mostly as they wouldn't have the favour of being believed - pulling of a prank already! - . Would the other ship boys be up for the Chase prank or could we even get some of the Tars in on the joke? Could even start as a rumour. Like, maybe Billy Barrow saying - hey I heard that.. they intend to do this and this the other day, while the officers were in the Sick bay. Or we could have the ship boys running up to Chase all :we need to celebrate and you need to 'buy us all a round' so to say, leading him on on the spot?

Could even have everybody all a' pat him on the back not saying anything at first, then congratulating for the promotion or such - boy I somehow feel sorry for the poor man! It's a cruel prank!

Ok these are a few ideas tossed about!

P.S.: De Guarde would love to volunteer to be the drinking partner, but I told him he can't because he is not allowed to drink this time around!
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  William Bush Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Maggie Evans wrote:Aww, Bush got MORE than tipsy that time with Hornblower, when he was leaning his head over sideways onto the table so Hornblower could get a better view of his huge smile, and when he was astonished that the ship could sway so much at anchor... Maybe he just needs a good drinking partner. Very Happy

And I fail at knowing my character's canon. Embarassed Sorry, I've only read a couple of Hornblower books so far--obviously my lack of reading shows. I basically RP movie!Bush, who we haven't seen getting tipsy. But now that I know there's a canon instance of Bush getting drunk, I feel much better about having him drinking in-game. Very Happy

So who's going to be his drinking partner, then? (Not De Guarde, hilarious though that would be... Laughing)
William Bush
William Bush
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:09 pm

I can not imagine Bush and De Guarde going on a spree!!!!!! Razz I think drunk DG is the last person Bush would want to have nearby.

Aww, you'll have to read it! It was at the end of Lieutenant Hornblower, the one with Capt. Sawyer and all. Hornblower was very sweet to Bush as he was recovering from his wounds (as seen in Retribution) and at the end they got their prize money and went on a spree or something, and Bush was still a bit of a lightweight because he was recovering from his injury. Hornblower got the news of his promotion and Buckland was really irritated, but Bush was absolutely totally delighted (and drunk), and it was very cute. And I think Hornblower was rather amused by it but didn't make fun of him at all, just acted like everything was perfectly normal. I don't think Bush made a habit of it though.

Hee, it would have been fun to see drunk movie Bush. I can picture him smiling like Marwood, so cute.
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Species : sans pareil
Number of posts : 3766

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Admittedly I cannot either, not unless that was Bolitho's order. Which would be just.. funny on it's own. Bolitho: I order you two to get drunk together, it's bonding time! (naah, he'd never have said that, but hey! *snicker*)

Sans, that's great for you to write! Personally I also know Bush more from the movies so hearing what happened in the books is a gem! *grin*

Wait, do we have anything else to discuss? We've now got poor Chase's prank and promotion, the DeGOS prank , getting Bush drunk.. errr on shore leave, ah, am I missing anything? Aaand, i've got an idea for the later days that might get everyone - characters - thinking!

Hmm, another one, Are we visiting - making Billy see quadruple first as a test subject, before we head for the 'standing on duty'? *grin*

And, ok another one, Very Happy are allhands on deck going to be called to witness punishment - even if it's not corporal?
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Species : Kitty-in-disguise
Number of posts : 983

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:44 am

Right. So Mister Bush needs a drinking buddy. Would a certain Lieutenant Deverel fit the bill? Very Happy (Or, Cartwright might do, though I don't know how well that would go at first.) Or! He could take a midshipman. I'm sure Chandos would love a run ashore...

As to Chase and his promotion(s). Maybe the rest of the crew (or a couple of messes or something) start telling him that he's going to get rated a mate to somebody (which would pretty much end his career as a sailhandler and therefore freak him out), and get him all spun up about it. Then the word is passed for him to stand before the captain because he is legitimately getting promoted, and awkwardness &c ensues.

The new surgeon is also going to (shortly) appear. I'm not sure what he's really like yet, but it should be interesting. Given that he's older than most everybody aboard and all...

And a question. What does Bolitho intend to do with that little band of happy brawlers?
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 am

Argh, I can't decide what lieutenant I want to bring aboard as a regular character. But I suppose if Deverel were definitely decided NOT to stay on the Terpsy, Bush might feel celebratory and willing to drink with him... Very Happy I don't think Bush would want to drink with Deverel if he was going to stay though.

I think someone should sneak a woman aboard. A particular woman...
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  William Bush Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 am

Ah, so it was in Lieutenant Hornblower then. Now I feel even more foolish because I decided to skip the first few books since I figured I already knew the plots from the movies and I didn't think I'd miss anything. *facepalm* But I do actually have that book, so obviously I'll have to read it now.

You never know, drunk movie Bush might still happen someday. At CT09, Paul himself said he'd be up for playing Bush again if they ever made another Hornblower movie. (That comment got a lot of wild cheers, which was quite interesting coming from a crowd of Doctor Who fans...)

Somehow I don't think Bush would be willing to drink with Chandos, or any other midshipman, because he's already had a bad experience with a drunken middie. Wink Having Deverel would be pretty amusing...but whether he stays on the ship or goes is entirely up to you, sans. Bush might not want to drink with him if he knew Deverel was staying, but something could happen to make him change his mind. Or maybe Bush could start out drinking with someone else and then Deverel could come in later when Bush would be too tipsy to get mad about it.

Allhands wrote:Bolitho: I order you two to get drunk together, it's bonding time!

*sporfle* XD

Keiju wrote:And a question. What does Bolitho intend to do with that little band of happy brawlers?

Uh oh, do I have to make a decision now? Well, if no one's opposed, we can stick with the work detail ashore idea. So I guess Bolitho can go and pronounce sentence to the prisoners. Probably in the "Up Before the Captain" thread, I'm guessing? Or do we want a new one for that?
William Bush
William Bush
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 am

I thought we needed a thread for the sentencing and stuff, hence 'Up before the Captain'. 'Before' meaning 'in front of' in this case. Very Happy

I put it at eight bells because both watches are on deck then and punishments were usually meted out at eight bells (though I could never figure out which watch, so I decided it didn't matter).

I think sentence would be passed in front of the entire crew - even though it's not going to be a flogging. Dunno if they'd have a grating rigged if the sentence wasn't going to be a flogging, or not, so I'll leave it up to others to decide that aspect.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Newbury Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 am

Work detail sounds good to me. *nods*

Hey - maybe while he's ashore carousing, Mister Bush could 'run into' some sailors or Marines. Very Happy
Joe Newbury
Joe Newbury
Commander

Species : 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 1181

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/joe-ne

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 am

AND A WOMAN
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton