Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Surgeons shop - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Surgeons shop

3 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Surgeons shop - Page 3 Empty Re: Surgeons shop

Post  Guest Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 am

Rob nodded, "It's certainly healing, at least he isn't laid up with a nasty infection, ye ken, always a risk." He took another sip, and noticed the mans cup was untouched, "Is yer tea too hot, or would ye like some honey in it, lad?" He enquired, concerned...
"I'll let ye have some books, but not till ye've had a sleep, ye musn't wear out yer eyes or anything yet. Ye want ter get walking, ay?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:20 am

"A little too hot, I reckon. Nothing a few patient moments won't cure." He rested a hand at his side, his other unbuttoning a few of the top buttons on his pelisse. Settling himself comfortably in the chair, he pushed his uninjured leg against the ground and lifted himself and moved a bit to the side.

"Sir, might I expect that you wish me to do nothing but sit , perhaps wash my pelisse and dolman and the shirt." He offered a smile, so as to show that he meant not ill about those words and was solely amused: "I'd think I was proclaimed a prince.. well.. omitting the washing part, mind. And certainly.. I would like to do more than walking.. having a shot and a slice at a few French before long."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 am

"I reckon a princed soon be thinking himself lucky ter be able ter get clothes inter such a state, lad." he smiled back "BUt I have ter keep ye here unmoving fer a while, and yer clothes need a wash. Apart from that and some paperwork there is little ye can do at present. We can talk, certainly, and mayhap have a hand of cards or some other amusement, but I willna be letting ye -do- anything." He looked speculativly around the place, "Though if ye can cook or something, I can set ye te work there as well, once ye've managed ter get yerself in a clean uniform."

Rob suppressed a sigh. Always it was the waiting that was hardest, and he could hardly blame them at all. He'd had one man making coloured bits of sand by painting each one, once, he'd been so hard to pin down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 am

"If you want to keep yourself on your own two feet, I would not suggest that you permit me to cook." He smiled kindly :" I can do enough, for when the starvation is too great, but more.. would be certainly asking for trouble." Unmoving. Some men would have jumped at the opportunity and embraced it with such eagerness, that it would be hard to ever tell them it was time to work again and not to slack about as old men.

"A game of carts would be pleasing and were I to suggest chess.. might you have the interest or the pieces?" He played, it wasn't that he was an expert tactician, but he had done it before. " It would entertain me, even if we were to strike stones of a boulder..and see how many throws we may need." A bemused smile blossomed on his face. Already he felt like fidgeting and he wondered how Bella was, and who would feed her while he was undisposed.

"Could you inquire about my horse?..I'll need to have someone know that I am ..in your keep sir, so that Bella does not starve or go without water. It would be worst if they've forgotten her, not knowing I was here." Concern was clear on his face, and so his caring nature towards that lady.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:46 am

Rob grinned, "In that case I'll stick ter the cooking then. I can get someone ter inquire- I'll let ye get settled and go and do it meself if ye like, and get ye some fresh clothes, too, if ye care for them." Rob looked back at him, "Is there someone who I can get ter look after her? I know a bit... but I'm suer someone else would do a better job."

Again he twisted round, scrabbling in a drawer, "I have some chess peices, if ye wish ter play, but I'd hardly consider meself brilliant at it. ye may wish more of a challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:58 pm

"Fresh clothes.. yes, sir. I would like that very much." Having had only the pair he wore and having had to tremble in the cold and wet of them, a thought of fresh, clean clothes, an extra pair, had sounded almost as if he were invited to dine at a palace. To think, he was once used to that.

He frowned at the other question, for he was trying to find a name of someone who could take care of it. Already he knew very few people, and even less of those who would be able or willing to tend to the horse. He couldn't ask that Sergeant Grey was to be given an extra burden. It would be prudent of a private even to suggest that. Perkins or Newbury, were both riflemen and probably had even less to want to do with a horse. He remembered scarcely that Carty said he'd liked horses, but he was still a rifleman. He wouldn't want to waste his time while of duty.

"..I doubt that there is any who would be willing. I only know a few of the riflemen.." And a lass, but it was not of a gentleman to ask a lady to do that kind of job either. Especially not one that he'd not known well. The doctor had said he wasn't qualified and he probably had even less time. Bella might be taken back to the rest of the 'herd' waiting for a rider. His frown deepened.

He barely aknowledged the chess pieces and added to them that, he too was not a skilled player and that it was indeed to be done to pass time.

(I really don't know who could be taking care of Bella, if she isn't sent back to the rest.Oh and wherever she's taken, please do not loose the papers that were left on her. Can't just go asking for them to be signed all over again.)
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 am

Rob assiduisly set up the chess peices, letting the lad have some time, if that was what he needed. Inwardly he frowned, also trying for an answer of this particular four legged problem. "Ye'll be needing her in a few days, won't ye, lad?" he double checked, "Just as soon as I let ye up, ay."

Carefully he manouvered to his own pile of shirts, "Ye dress yerself in one of these, and I'll go and see what I can do. I'll bring ye back yer kit, as much as ye'll need, and try and get ole Bella sorted," he smiled, "not that she seemed ter like me, last time. Ye get yerself dry and dinna move."
He fixed the lad with an eagle eye, "Or I'll have naught else ter do with ye."

(It's a tough one alright. There must have been people who looked after all the remounts and stuff.... maybe we could farm her off there? And I'll get back carrying a shirt and pants fer ye and whatever she was carrying, don't worry.)

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:23 am

(she doesn't have any extra clothes on her for Willoughby. He's come with nothing more but what he wore, all else lost on his assigned horse Bayard. Bella's just a borrowed one. So.. hm, he doesn't really have much on her .)

"I will if the surgeon permits." He answered with a slight smile. "There's.. not much you can bring sir. I haven't yet been able to acquire anything to replace it. Regretfully so, when we were in town and I should have." He nodded and placed few of the pieces on the board. He would play now or perhaps at a later time, depending whether he or the surgeon would feel like it. He admired a piece and how it was carved.

"I'm not sure who you could ask, but, if for today you may bring her to the wagon, perhaps a bit of water and hay she is carrying, could do her well. And worry not about her temper. Hold her reins and be stern and she shall follow. Might try to bite but.." He smiled and shrugged: "Use a horse brush, (don't know which they had, but they had to have one) and hold it to her nose.. she might be more 'bark than bite'. And your hand shall sure be safe if it holds the brush. Can't n' wont like to bite into that. All prickly and such."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:33 am

Rob gave a curt nod, and disapeared with a parting call, "Ye needn't worry bout a bite, lad, I've treated enough of those in me time!"
He saught out the horse, and the brush, bringing them all, and some of the wretched hay, back to his charge. Hay always seemed to worm its way into everything.

"either she was well trained, lad, or she's in a mood" he grumbled, holding her firmly in place for inspection.

(sorry- off again.... and this wasn't particularly inspirational either. I'll be back in a while, though)

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 am

While the surgeon was away, he stripped himself of his dolman and the pelisse and under it the shirt, of which all were dirty or stained, and replaced it with a clean shirt, that felt rather nice to the skin even if of as coarse of fabric as the earlier worn.

He had just folded his coats and shirt on the chair, hopping around the place on one leg, and using the chair he'd sat on earlier as support as also any other stable wooden object that could aid him. He peered at the surgeon and smiled at the sight of his horse, which aknowledged him with nothing more but a light jerk of her head." Bella." He looked to the surgeon and there was a grin on his face and he looked rather animated as well.

"Thank you for bringing her." He moved the chair a bit and was careful not to step on his ankle, flushing that he was moving at all."..will the surgeon permit, that I have a few pulls of a brush on her. before I am again seated?" He nodded towards the horse:" Ah, she's behaved?.. well, you do then have a way with them animals.. as you have with men, sir."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 am

Rob pulled a face, feeling embarrassed. "Well, she did what I needed her ter do, lad, thats fer sure... though I canna say I've got a real way with ye all, much."

He eyed the now clean man in front of him, "Ye can come and have a brush of her, sure, but ye stay there while I help ye hobble to her, ay? I take it I can just drop the reigns and she'll stay there?" Carefully he moved towards the lad, offering him one shoulder for a crutch.

Once they were all carefully arranged, he handed over the brush, "Ye'll be pleased ter know I didna have ter use it on her once, though mebbe I'll have ter use it on ye, at some stage, if ye insist on walking about." He finished the gentle reminder with a light smile, only chiding him in a teasing manner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:15 am

"I won't bite you, I promise you that." He answered softly and chuckled as he hobbled over to his horse with the kindest help of the surgeon. "But if you are offering to help this mess.." He tapped his hair once: "Be set into place, I'll be glad to obleige to your offer." More a tease, than an honest request for he knew he had much overused the hospitality this man had to offer. He took the brush and gently began to stroke the side of the horse, from head to her rump, with one hand over the surgeon's shoulder.

"..You came with the Second' from Lisbon?" He asked glancing to the doctor.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:30 am

(oh bother hadn't thought about all that detail. I'll say yes though... seems easiest. No doubt if its wrong at all someone will point me out. And I think it may contradict my plea that I dont' know many names.... sorry bout that).

"Ye mayn't bite me, but ye need someone ter remind ye ter stay seated." Rob muttered, watching the horse still under the constant rhythm. "Ye hair looks in need of a good wash, lad, not just a brush.... and I need ter leave ye summat ter do all day- but if ye need a hand with the water I'll get ye some. tomorrow, though. Dinna want a cold ontop of everything else, d'ye?"

Carefully he tried to take more weight fromt he mans leg, eyeing their position with a surgeons thought, "Aye, travelled with them I did. Though ter see some of the world and all- not much different from a lot of the others. Though I'd have ter say I got more range of injuries back home than I ever did here." Thoughtfully he closed his mouth. There was no need ter bore the lad with an in depth case study of everyone he'd treated.... not unless he was a most remiss patient, anyways.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:41 am

(No problem, you could've just worked with them, but didn't really call for names, or you had more trouble tending to the ones that are of the redcoats, and.. well those are mostly npcs and reluctant to tell you their names. *smile* Oh, if you don't have more on the past, you can just wave the question off, no problem!)

"More range?.. what have you been working as.. before you came to see the world from the back of the surgeon's wagon?" He asked and slowly they moved around to the other side of his horse. He continued with the brushing, till he was sure that the coat was clean of mud and that Bella looked more than presentable for any inspection. Gently he patted her on the side of her neck and then turned to the surgeon:"...Alright, I'm done. Could you tie her for me."

The lovely lass neighed and looked at the surgeon, her ears turning forward , to listen, then back , for more sounds came and went from the said direction. She nudged the man lightly and waited as patiently as before, observing the two men with midlest curiosity.

It must've looked odd to the horse to have her rider lean so close against another, and to use that other all around her, while she was cleaned. Then again he might've not cared who it was, as long as she was the one pampered. The doctor, she remembered from earlier and also how she had tried to bite him. Still she decided to behave, perhaps understanding that he meant well, or perhaps just being tired and well fed and watered.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am

Rob nodded, dispatching the lad to his chair first, "Would ye like her just here, so ye can see I'm not doing anything to her?" He asked.

Carefully he approached her again, saying a few choice gaelic words in a soothing tone, proving that they responded only to tone and not to meaning, as he'd always said.

"I was, at one stage, t'only one around the area, and saw things from childbirth ter child death, sometimes from things which ye wouldna think would kill a lassie..." He trailed off, then smiled, sensing it was getting a bit moody, "But I saw t'best of people, too, when we had ter band together against something, or when a parent was saved from a nasty fate by.... luck."
He didn't even think of his own parents' decline, now mention that oftentimes luck had been at the expense of his dinner and, usually, a nights sleep. "ye learn, lad, that people only ever get sick or give birth during the evening. Just in time fer yer tea, normally." he grinned expansively, trying ter convince his patient he didn't mind, "That's something I don't get much of here, certainly"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:08 am

He wondered if the topic had been in any form or way hurtful to the surgeon and did not wish to bring him anguish, were he able to help it. At first he was to answer to his question about the horse, and so he did, with a broad fine smile: " Oh sir, I trust that you'll not turn her into our tonight's dinner so do tie her at a place you see most fit. Wouldn't wish that she'd eat up your tent, thinking it a delicious little treat, nor chew on your boxes, and leave marks in your boots." He glanced at the horse and he knew she was safe. And that was all that mattered.

"Haven't seen many lads be giving birth, I mus' say." He smiled to the surgeon. "Mares I have.. though we prefer to have them horses able to ride, and not with a child at their side." And he chose to stray from the theme of their conversation if only to make it more comfortable for the surgeon.

" A fine day it was, today. Eh? No rain, some cloud and almost warm and pleasant."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 am

Rob laughed at the discription of the horse as his dinner, "Looks a bit tough fer me ter be eating just yet... though I wouldna say no otherwise." Carefully he moved her further away from the tent, but close enough that she was still able to be seen, "That alright fer now? Or d'ye want her somewhere more hemmed in?"

He stayed over there, petting her lightly, "Aye, t'weather was nice- though if yer tryign ter change the subject yer might have picked another, less obvious, way." but he smiled and added, more gently, "If I didna want ter talk about it lad, I wouldna have mentioned it, never fear."

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 am

".. I'm sorry. I didn't wish to be the cause of your discomfort, sir. You have been too kind to me, and It would be most unkind of me to return it instead... in such a poor manner. Sticking my nose where it ought not go." He sounded apologetic, and he felt right so. He regretted that his exchange of topics had been so obvious, but only because he had not wished to offend the man either.

" 's allright with her, sir. For as long as she's able to rest and there'll be a night like it's bein' promised, she'll do best just in that spot." He shifted himself on the chair, but felt more at ease now even with the tight bandage about his ankle.

"Not to commit myself to another mistake.." He spoke in light spirits and with a warm smile on his face: " May I ask you to pick the topic that we may discuss. After all, this is.. your home."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 am

Touched, and not in the head like some would say, Rob sat down on the grass near the lads ankle prop, "I tell ye, ye needn't fear none, lad. Ye have passed no line, nor upset me at all." He too smiled, pleased that the lad seemed so happy ter speak of his mistake, though there had been none. Modesty had always been something he had reverred, and none of this spoke of false modesty, either.
"Aye, tis me home lad... and right comfy, too." carelessly he tugged at a peice of grass, though left it intact in the ground, not needing to eat it or anything, "I wouldna like ter commit a mistake either, lad. But we canna sit here till doomsday. How about Bella? How did she become yourn? I still haven't worked out if the horses belong ter each man or t'company."
He looked up, "May we talk on that, perhaps? then ye can ask me a hairy question too, if ye like"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:51 am

He felt relieved, for he truly did not wish to cause anything but good will, while in such a pleasant discussion with the man. It had been long indeed that he held it for so long and knew that it was by far not over and wished it also not to be.

"She's been in my keep but for a few days now. Belongs to the.. 62nd I believe." He looked fondly in the direction of the mare, who looked at peace where she was, and didn't seem to mind that two men had observed and talked of her.

"The horses don't quite belong to us, though we are the ones to ride them. Say, were an officer to loose one, and there would be no other horse to spare, it would be ours that would be given to them, till another can be supplied. We may train and live with them, take care and feed them, but.. they aren't ours to own as you would own a purchased thing." He explained and tugged absentmindedly at the bundle of hair that was tied at the back, many of the strands rather free at present.

"We do feel that they are ours though, treat them as such. And I do Bella. She's a young lass, with a spirit to match. Trained yes, but not extensively.." He smiled towards the doctor and wondered what kind of hairy question he could ask. He thought to amuse the man by asking him about his beard or lack thereof, but thought it not the kind of humour that was needed.

Instead he asked and hoped the question was well placed: "You've said you came, to help with birth...how many children have you aided?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Rob frowned lightly, counting. "Well, I aided t'first when a lad.... A fair few, I'd say. Everyone whose 19 years younger than me in the town I've aided." he looked up, "Which would be ...39, I beleive. Though thankfully not many of them were hard, or at least, not fer me." He grinned, "They were tough ton t'mothers, though, always will be I reckon."

He looked up, absently, "Would ye like a comb fer yer hair? I'll get the worst of the mud out fer ye, if ye like. Got naught else ter do" He hastened to reassure the lad, aware that he was probably feeling apprehensive, or at the least bemused, by these constant offers of help. By keeping him here being attacked with the comb, at the very least he'd stay seated- though by the looks of the hair it mayn't be peacefully.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:53 pm

"I've always admired how women were able to bring more children to this world, knowing full well, all that they may go through." Having had a younger sibling of his own, he was able to be having atleast a taste of what there was to happen, for a child to be brought to life. And he did not like to remember the day very much.

He attempted to run his fingers through his hair, and stopped rather almost where he'd started. With an embarrassed smile he accepted the offer:".. If it won't be too much of a bother sir. I'd certainly be most grateful to accept your offer."

He wondered if he would regret the decision, and if soon he'd wish he had been without hair.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Rob searched out a wide toothed comb, "One of the first things me brother made" he smiled, "Perfect fer this sorta job." Carefully he seated himself behind the man, holding a hunk of hair so it was loose to the scalp and working on its very ends. "Aye, tis one of the miracles ye see when ye get a good job like this."
He tried to keep his strokes as gentle as possible, but for all he could tell the lad had been rolling in it before coming to see him. He hoped it was only mud coming out, and not too much hair, "Women apparently feel the pain leesen on seeing their bairn, and that goes some way ter dulling their memory of it, so they's willing ter have another."

He kept his strokes slow and firm, "D'ye have siblings, lad?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Closing his eyes and praying to all that he'd not be yanked on his hair, he rested himself in his seat. He did feel rather surprised for there was not as much yanking and pulling, and less pain than he'd expected from the mess his hair had turned out to be. The surgeon did look to have many talents other than doctoring around the soldiers.

"..Had a sibling." His voice was somewhat more subtle. "..A brother. Younger one.." He added more softly and more quietly.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Rob smiled to himself. He'd always suspected that even grown men would become sleepy and biddalbe when their hair was being brushed- though quite why was beyond him he'd had to do it enough to think it true.

"Only one, lad?" He asked, just as softly, and as gently as he felt appropriate given this lad was hardly on his death bed, just in need of a good sleep, "By had ye don't mean...." he trailed off, then added, "Sorry, lad. Forget that."

A pause, "I had siblings a plenty meself... who knows how many more I woulda had if me Da had remarried, ay?" He hoped that his gentle joking would prevent any damage his inadvertant comment may have done. For all the two of them had spent hours together he still didn't know the lad too well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next