Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Over the Hills? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Over the Hills?

+12
Sharpiefan
Edward Torrington
sans nom
outis
Jenny Ross
George Thompson
Gareth Woodmarsh
François Sevière
John Vickery
Henry Fraser
Jean Delacroix
Keiju
16 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Over the Hills? - Page 4 Empty Re: Over the Hills?

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 am

The French always had more artillery than the British, and utilized what Spanish pieces they could lay their hands on. I think it more than likely that, if the bridge was of any importance, they would have brought some pieces to guard it, since it is the simplest and most effective way to make crossing a bridge extremely uncomfortable. Without them, the French have no chance of holding the bridge anyway, and should run at first sight of enemy with cannon and rifles. See my post above.

That aside:

Nobody has said it takes a day to take the bridge - only that it happens on day 1.

And I would like to protest that the French were not complete idiots either and had light companies that could skirmish just as well. They had not quite the range, granted, but in a village or a similar location that is only of minor importance.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am

It was widely acknowledged in the Peninsula that the Rifles were as superior to the French light infantry as the French light infantry were superior to the British. in other words: The French were very far from being thought of as idiots, and the British knew they had an advantage only because they had Riflemen. Even so, one company could easily be overwhelmed by sheer numbers because rifles took so long to load compared to the muskets the French (and regular British infantry) used.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

I well realize the French had skirmish troops also, though not armed with rifles just muskets, Nappy was not a rifle fan. I was just going by the much earlier comments that the 86th would be composing the opposition and they are not lights.

Hey, I'm actually a big French fan, that's why I play a French char but again I am saying we want the Brits to succeed in this mission and if the French start with a sizeable force at the bridge and cannon too, the fight becomes very hard. Then they still have to do the charges and also hold off the oncoming French main body.

I'm just trying to argue for the Brits to have early success because later it will get very hard for them. Like a movie cliffhanger.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

No, the fight won't become hard. They just would have to actually do what they do best, i. e. sneak around and attack from there.

Yes, with cannon, simply charging the bridge is suicidal, but Fraser brought a Howizer and two other pieces, and now has the chance to actually use them to good effect.

The riflemen get to do a nice, adventurous river-crossing and a perfect skirmish.

The grenadiers can do a very heroic charge and win the day.

Somebody might even be able to capture two French pieces, which will give them Wellington's gratitude.

I find that much more interesting than a simple attack against no real opposition, and it has the advantage that it can be played out in several smaller threads, which makes the actual RP easier.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 am

If that was the only fight then yes, I think that sounds like a good one, an assault against heavy resistance but I thought the storyline called for the main body of French to come up later. Given that we don't want too many losses in a hard fight to take the thing then also have to hold off even more French later.

I know the Brits are good but like people have been also pointing out the French are pretty good themselves.

I have read that artillery batteries carry a fairly limited amount of ammo so if Fraser is using up much of it to take the bridge, he wouldn't have much left to for the main body of French when they make the counterattack.

Plus the Brits do need to carry along plenty of gunpowder too for the blowing of the bridge.

Of course we are the writers here, we can have this turn out however we want assuming we ever agree on anything. I just think that the way Sharpie wrote it before makes more sense, the early going goes to the Brits but then as time goes on it's gets a whole lot harder as the French come in force and with artillery too. Either storyline is viable but we need to pick one, my preference is the Sharpie version of the other day.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 am

If the spy/informer were to go to the bridge picquet, how likely is it that the officer in charge will believe/trust his information and send to the main body for backup?
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Species : Master Jester
Number of posts : 884

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am

In this case, I would say very likely. Because wrong information can be explained, but having such a force simply appear and take such an important bridge although the officer was warned would end on a gray morning in front of a wall. If he survived the attack.
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Species : Lieutenant, 17ème Infanterie Légère
Number of posts : 434

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1704-bastien-prayon#99052

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

Considering he is not an amateur in the business who has just entered the scene, but has been present in and out for much longer and probably has connections, has had previous experiences with the sides, has also been in contact with dead French informants, be it also searching their person for documents, and has been able to infiltrate certain groups,.. quite likely. He does not need to be the one going from the picquet to the HQ (not that if there was a question of trust or belief, would HQ be any more believing than the picquet). He is quite happy if somebody else does the informing of HQ for him, if the officer wants it so. He would also do it himself, if the request of the officer goes in that direction.

Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Species : Civilian
Number of posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 am

In which case, I say we compromise a little.

Scenario plays out pretty much as I've already laid out, with the exception that the informer tells the officer or whoever is in charge of the bridge party, who then passes on the message (whoever actually goes is up to the players concerned) to the main party.

(And I am also getting more than a little tired of going in circles with this whole thing.)
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Species : Master Jester
Number of posts : 884

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am

I can perfectly understand the last bit.

I have stated my opinion. I will go now with whatever the majority decides.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 am

Or there is no spy, since it seems that his presence does not alter a single thing in the actions of the officer at the bridge that he would not have done at first sight of the British anyway. The rest be done however whoever wishes.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 am

I greatly respect the opinions of all the players involved in this discussion, I really do. And really I think in the end we all want the same thing, the story to be fun and a success - I don't even mean as in bridge blowing success as much as an interesting storyline with roles for everybody who wants in.

I still can see a role for Josef, he's an interesting char. Like Sharpie says, he does his part, the bridge commander is now warned and sends on help which will bring the main body even faster than if Josef hadn't done his bit.

Sharpie is right though, we've debated this enough and I am as guilty as anyone else. If I ruffled any feathers in doing so, my sincere apologies, that was not my intent.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

I'm probably as guilty as anyone in ruffling feathers, and I apologise. I have been trying to find a way to make this plot as interesting as possible for everyone and I am sorry that has turned out not to be the case.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

It seems the officer of the picquet/guard of the bridge's actions won't realistically change if going according to the present scenario. Calling for backup a bit earlier, or a bit later, but not changing his preparations against the ones coming - really makes no difference. This makes any information that has been brought rather useless and the risk of getting caught rather not worth the effort.
So, lets just drop the spy thing. Torrington won't be informed on the numbers of French, the French don't get informed on the arriving armies and thus get the shock of their life or whatever the scenario you want .
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm

To be honest, whatever happens with the plot is fine with me, as I don't believe I'll be taking part - but naturally I hope everyone who does enjoys themselves fully.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Right. We've had two players drop out, and I think the rest of us are pretty well agreed on what needs to happen: English force of 200 men + however many artillery soldiers take the bridge, French guard commander sends word to the main body who send reinforcements, English have to defend the bridge till the last charge is laid, retire in good order across it, blow it up, head home.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 am

So, some small amount of French are holding it right now? Maybe they can see and say aaaaghh, they have a ton of men, we gotta get outta here? (Sorry, I haven't read this thread in its entirety, just hoping for a summary and then I'm ready to jump in and play a French guy yelling aaaaagh.)
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Species : sans pareil
Number of posts : 3766

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 am

Hey sans nom!

Glad to have you play another Frenchie at the bridge. I got Sharpie's kind permission to write the NPC sergeant in charge of the detachment and I also am putting my char, Francois Seviere, there too.

As Sharpie wrote, the bridge commander will send for help so you would be more than welcome to operate that runner. Or....once the attack begins I'm sure at least a few of the French will just simply see how badly it is going and make a run for it. A lot depends too on how the Brits hit them. Torrington has it that the initial march by the demo column will take one day so I'm guessing the Brits might then launch a sudden attack at dawn taking advantage of the dark to sneak up light troops rather than simply just march up the road toward the bridge in column in broad daylight. But I leave that fun stuff up to those playing Brit officers Very Happy

Anyhow, feel free to add a Frenchie or two if you're in the mood. I will be getting up an initial post for the bridge guard later today.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 am

I think I'll just wait and follow other people's lead then, if I feel capable. I'm almost a bit wary of the thread now, worried about doing the wrong thing.
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

Or I might just stay out of it. It sounds too confusing.
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

Can we speed up a little? It's been over two weeks and the British haven't even seen the bridge yet.
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm

That would be good yeah. I think some of the writers for the approaching Brits like our artilleryman and the Guardsmen are really busy with school right now though. Hopefully soon they will get back into it.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  sans nom Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 am

Can we salvage this? What if we just throw ALL the plans out and let people do whatever the heck they want, and surprise us all. (Apart from the plan that the bridge gets blown up and the French lose this battle. )
sans nom
sans nom
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 am

I'm pretty much open for anything right now, just would like to have a battle.

François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 am

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but basically all the things I did not like about the projected plot have already been established in the threads sofar. The spyhattery is impossible now, too.

I never had any fixed plans; I did not like the setup and tried to point out that a different setup would allow for several opportunities for threads.

Therefore, deciding to kick all plans doesn't really help me to like this any more than before. However: As I said, I will play along with what characters I have in the threads, and even a few NPCs, if somebody else moves the story.
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Species : Give me the coffee!
Number of posts : 456

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum