Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

2 June; Not so good morning

5 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 Empty Re: 2 June; Not so good morning

Post  John Vickery Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 am

"There you go. Good dog," Vickery said, as the dog sniffed at the pork he was holding out, before taking it from his hand. "I wonder where you came from, then?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 am

2 June; Not so good morning - Page 3 FlintPostAv

The meat was a little more cooked than he liked, but it was Food and that was what mattered. In only a couple bites, the meat was gone and the dog was licking his teeth happily. He had no concept of what the Human with the Food was saying, though it seemed cheerful enough. The dog nosed his way forward again, sniffing curiously about this strange new human, feeling comfortable enough now to wag his tail a bit.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 am

"I daresay you'd prefer it raw," Vickery said, holding his hand out towards the dog to allow the animal to sniff his fingers. "I have a Rifleman who won't be too happy if you take up with me, although I must confess I would like the company."

It had been a while since Vickery had had a dog. His brother had inherited his terrier when Vickery had bought his Colours seven years ago. He had no idea if the animal was still alive, even.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 am

There was no Food in the hand being offered to him, but he knew enough to recognise it as a friendly gesture. The fingers smelled most strongly of meat and something else he'd come to recognise as flavoured water. It wasn't the most unpleasant of smells, at least.

Satisfied the outstretched fingers presented no danger, the dog lapped at them with his broad pink tongue, both hoping to dislodge some little scrap of Food and giving a sign of his willingness to be made of a bit more.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

"Thank you," Maggie said quietly, accepting the dish of food from McIntyre. She was more grateful than she could express, and strangely embarrassed that he had read her mind and that she needed to depend on a stranger's charity. But it smelled incredible. She opened her mouth to say so when she heard Vickery's voice inside the tent. Who was he talking to?

"That dog!"
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan McIntyre Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 am

In response, McIntyre simply smiled and went about the work of preparing his shaving kit. The grasshopper would need the stubble scraped off his face before he could be deemed presentable, after all.

The woman's outburst made him glance up, however, pausing in the midst of rummaging through his pack for the desired items. "S'he gone botherin' the cap'n?"
Brendan McIntyre
Brendan McIntyre
Ship's Cook

Species : Private; 33rd Foot
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 am

It was no bother, though. Vickery let the animal lick his fingers. It seemed a friendly enough sort of dog, and he wondered if it was a stray or if one of the soldiers had adopted it. Him.

He held another chunk of meat out for the animal to take. Unless one of the soldiers claimed the creature, he was of a mind to adopt it himself - if it was indeed a stray.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 am

More Food! The dog's tail wagged happily as he took the second bit of meat from the man's with the same care as before. In a second, the morsel was gone.

Then, exercising his right to explore, the dog nosed his way around the thing the Human with the Food was sitting on. There were some things here that smelled different and were, therefore, fascinating.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 am

Vickery grinned as the dog moved to nose around the cot he was sitting on. "Well, you're a curious one and no mistake," he said, wiping his hand on his overalls and reaching for his cutlery again.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:40 am

There was a lot in here to examine. The walls smelled like woodsmoke and something else he couldn't identify, while the thing the Human with the Food sat on smelled like the strange dark-skinned humans he'd seen around. Most fascinating was the lump of cloth behind the Human with the Food. The dog thrust his nose at it, deeply intrigued by the clash of smells. Where had this bundle of cloth been?

With the Human with the Food being distracted by the strange metal things that humans used to eat, the dog reckoned he had a prime opportunity. He took a grip on the wondrous bundle of cloth and pulled it carefully off the sitting-thing. Then, knowing the importance of a quick getaway, made a loping exit with the cloth dragging on the ground from his jaws.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 am

The dog had closed its teeth on his bundled-up jacket and was dragging it away. "Hey! Drop it!" He hastily laid his plate aside to grab for the jacket - or the dog - and collapsed back onto the cot with a groan as the stitches in his side pulled painfully.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan McIntyre Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:06 am

The dog's reappearance with the grasshopper's jacket dragging from its jaws was followed immediately by a cry from the grasshopper himself. That devilish beast!

"Give that here," McIntyre said firmly, moving quickly to grab hold of a trailing sleeve before the dog could get out of reach. "I'll boot you a good'n, if you don't!"

The dog resisted for a moment, until McIntyre levered himself into a standing position so he could give the animal a quick whap against its muzzle. The jacket was obligingly dropped and the dog retreated, baring its teeth just a little as it went.

"Sorry 'bout that, sir," the Irishman called, surveying the jacket with dismay. He'd have to wash it now. Damn.
Brendan McIntyre
Brendan McIntyre
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:12 am

Vickery laid the plate aside and got to his feet. The stitches didn't pull as much as he expected them to - maybe because he was getting up from a cot rather than the ground, he thought inconsequentially.

He made his way to the entrance of the tent, holding the flap aside with one arm while resting his hand on the pole; the blurriness of vision wasn't helping too much with his sense of balance, although it wasn't as bad as it had been yesterday. And that was definitely good.

"It's nothing to worry about; he probably just wanted to play. Or it smelt strange or something," Vickery replied. "No harm done." Well, he hoped so, anyway. "And thank you for my breakfast. I hope you've had some as well?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan McIntyre Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

If the dog smelled something strange on this jacket, it presented even more reason for McIntyre to wash it at the first opportunity.

"A pleasure, sir," he replied. "I've had me own, a bit of burgoo 'fore dawn. It'll hold me 'til Up Spirits later."
Brendan McIntyre
Brendan McIntyre
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 am

"Burgoo - You did tell me that earlier," Vickery said, finally trusting his own sense of balance enough to emerge fully from the tent. "I am not quite myself at present, I find. I am sorry."

Although precisely what he was apologising for, he couldn't say.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan McIntyre Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 am

That was understandable, wasn't it? Any fellow would who'd had a sharp knock over the head.

"No worries, sir." McIntyre was on his feet, setting the jacket aside to be ready to help the grasshopper either keep his balance or sit down, whichever might be needed. "They'll be movin' off soon, I think. Feelin' up to a shave?"
Brendan McIntyre
Brendan McIntyre
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:20 am

"You haven't even shaved the poor fellow yet?" Lieutenant Cobb asked, approaching from further down the road. "I hope he's not neglecting any other part of his duties, sir. It's hard to get him back in line once he starts straying. Marines, you know."

There was no more than a hint of a smile about the lieutenant's mouth as he spoke, and it did not last long. If one was not looking closely, it would be impossible to tell if he spoke in jest or not.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 am

"I haven't given him a chance yet," Vickery pointed out. "And on the contrary; he has been very attentive to his duties." He wondered if he could sit down; he still wasn't feeling quite himself. "I rather suspect he's taking on more than he needs to, as well."

He rather wanted his jacket on; it didn't sit right with him, being in shirtsleeves in front of another officer. Especially when it was obvious that the shirt was not one of his own.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 am

Cobb very nearly grinned but succeeded in squashing the gesture. "He's good at that, I've found."

The oldster ignored this and held out his arm to the grasshopper. "Needin' a chair, sir?"
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 am

"I don't need a chair so long as I can just sit down," Vickery replied, grateful for the offered arm. "If I may offer a word of advice, try not to get yourself sliced up by anyone wielding a sword. It rather curtails what physical movements one can make."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 am

"Sittin' down it is, sir." McIntyre set his feet and helped the grasshopper ease himself down onto the ground. Poor beggar. "Wish I'd've known that a few years back meself, sir," he added with a grin.

Cobb shook his head. "Don't let him tell you any of his sea-stories, sir. There'll be no stopping him once he's got going."

The dog, having since recovered from being smacked on the muzzle, came cautiously up, sniffing thoughtfully at the grasshopper's legs before unceremoniously flopping down by the officer's feet.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am

Vickery chuckled at that. "Well, they'll help pass the time then. I have been informed that I am unfit for duty for a week at the very least and must consider myself unable to even march." Which still rankled, but nowhere near as much as it had last night when he was hurt, dizzy, confused, tired and with a headache that had threatened to split his head in two.

He glanced down at a sudden weight pressing against his foot, to see the dog lying there. He grinned and leaned forward to scratch its head.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 am

Despite his officer's warning, McIntyre had no intention of keeping any stories to himself if the situation warranted sharing them. He simply smiled at the dog and went about the business of preparing shaving water.

"I'm told a cart has been found for your use," Cobb said, eyeing the pot of tea with half-disguised interest. "So I don't expect you'll have to march at all."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:01 am

"I am not sure whether to be grateful or not," Vickery said frankly. "If there is tea left, please help yourself - I presume you have a mug, anyway."

He chuckled, remembering a kit list that had been sent to him before he had come out to Portugal: A canteen with a little tea or coffee and sugar, a spoon, a few segars and a tin mug, which may do duty as both tea-cup and soup-dish...
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 am

A cart! That meant there might be somewhere for Maggie to spread out this damp shirt, as well as her apron, and they might dry in the sun as they marched. Marched further away from Gabe. But she tried to push that thought from her head. There was still washing to be done.

"I can take that, if you like," she said quietly to McIntyre, pointing at the captain's jacket. There would not be time for a proper wash before breaking camp, but she could pat it down with a damp cloth at least.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next