Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

24th May, Morning - Deck

3 posters

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

24th May, Morning - Deck - Page 14 Empty Re: 24th May, Morning - Deck

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 am

"Well, you'll have to practise on someone, won't you?" Thompson said, shrugging. "An' if you did do it on anyone else... Well, i reckon you already know folks hate a thief more'n anythin' else, almost. Not bein' able to lock things away does that, y'see."

He leaned his head back against the ship's side, looking aloft into the rigging of the foremast which towered above them. "I can't start here, neither, 'cause it's easiest done when you'm both standin' up. An' if we was to stand up now an' start doin' that sort of thing, likely someone'd get the wrong idea of what was goin' on, an' one or other of us'd end up in big trouble. An' we don't want that, not with you goin' off ashore, do we?"
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Species : Royal Marine Corporal
Number of posts : 5581

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/private-georg

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:38 am

"I know that if ye steal on a ship, you'd be running t' gauntlet or summat.. meanin' that t' Tars would make a line on each side, n' ye'd have ..um.. summan at t' front and at the back so you wouldn't be able ter run ahead or stop from going anywhere's n' then you'd get struck from each one of em with a rope. " He nodded. He was well aware what a thief could get into. He would not be one of course. There was a tease, like that when he snatched Oxley's stick and went on a run with that. But he then returned it, and it was a laugh.

But to steal for real, it wasn't something he would even consider doing. In part because it was wrong and in part because if he did, he'd be in awful sort of trouble.

"Well.." He'd listened attentively." Not now then.. but when I return from t' shore n' when we's alone.. could you?" He knew that there was yet a trick he would play on the marines - he and the other drummers - so he would have to accomodate things to that first, but if there was spare time, he could avoid wasting it on no work.

"Out of sight 'fcourse. 'cos it ain't right anybody seeing it anyway." He paused thoughtfully. "but.... what could they think, if we's did it?"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 am

"I seen that, Mathew, an' it ain't pretty. Was someone on me first ship done that - not that he pinched much, but that wasn't the point. An' yes. Next time we get some time alone, I'll teach you a bit, if you really want me to. Only I don't want you practisin' on anyone else, 'cause I don't want you gettin' in trouble, you hear me?"

He smiled at the boy, suddenly aware that he probably sounded a bit harsher than he meant to. "I dunno what they'd think, but it'd jus' look strange, us both standin' up now. 'Sides, I think they'd likely see what we was up to, an' that's not somethin' you'd want, I don't think."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:53 am

"Noone but you." He nodded and held his hand to his chest as if in this making a sacred oath. "N' only when we's agreed that I should practice n' when nobody's about." He added with his hand still resting on his chest. If Thompson was harsh he had all the reason to be. Getting in trouble for something that would have accounted as practice and meaning no harm, it wasn't done. Stealing he wouldn't do either. Not real sort. Not on Terpsy. But Thompson was very right in making an emphasis of that. Young minds were sometimes foolish and only a harsh tone could pinch their attention.

"Ah. Right. We'll jus' sit then." He smiled and shuffled a bit at his spot, pulling his leg up to his chest and resting his chin on it. "You know.. I've.. learnt a lot more, being this, than I did being a middie. Lot more from practical things of life.. 'tleast."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:00 am

Thompson brought his other leg up and leaned forward, clasping his hands round his knees. "So... what sort of things have you learned, then, that you can't learn from books? An' what d'you think about it all? Well, if you want to tell me, anyway. 'Cause you ask me all sorts of questions, an' I dunno what you think about it all. 'Sides, I'm curious an' it's about time I got to ask you summat, ain't it?"
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:17 am

"That bein' a Tar is bloody hard work!" He giggled. "Ask away with wot'ever you want. I'll try me best to answer satisfactory!" He nodded seriously and then continued. "So...I learnt wot' different commands really mean, firs' hand. Mind I knew t' basic outline of it, n' wot' I wanted them people to do.. but it's somehow different when you have ter constantly do it on yer own. I also learnt that it's a terribly thing ter be a Tar wot' line of command is concerned n' that..there's some hierarchy even in our mess. But it demands different sort of skills and knowledge than having it a birth right." He shrugged a little. "I also learnt that privvies smell something awful, n' the horses ain't good animals for a ship! Though that's not exactly learning it from Tars. .. Hm, also did learn Chase's got a lot o' respect 'round t' mess. N' that Tars can sort things m'ong themselves. If they dun' like you and you're a fellow like they, they'll sure show you, not bein' shy about it at all. Yer got to earn respect.. though dunno how successful I am in that. I'm in luck Chase stands fer me. Oh n' I learnt that Messmates will cover fer each other.. like if you go missin' they'll look fer you but also make sure you dun' get in trouble for not brinning your hammock up on deck."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 am

"Seems you've learned a lot that'll be useful when you'm a mid again," Thompson said. "Do you think folks like you at all? I mean, how well d'you get on with 'em, like. 'Cause I know what I think, but I want to know what you think." He looked across at the boy and smiled. "I don't think you've got much to worry about, not really. Jus' so long as you remember to be polite an' pull your weight when it's wanted, anyhow."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 am

"Um.. Well I know them drummers don't mind me." He grinned. "Oxley and the Shepherds. They aren't minding me hanging around and all. Is fun with them really. Wos' thanks to them I joined in t' skylarking n'all." He looked thoughtful. "There's some who hate me... or dun' like me. .. or jus' wish i'd never be in t' mess. I know that much. But they aren't as outspoken 'bout it now as they were. Maybe couse Chase ain't lettin' it. ..or, dunno. I'm not so loud in t' mess so maybe that too." He sighed.

"I think some would still like me better to be swimmin' with t' fishies... but t' ship boys ain't like that. They might.. not show it or they really are better 'round me. Still a bit nervous sometimes, or stiff but.. not like they were, no!" He shrugged. "I'm tryin' ter pull me weight now. ..I really am. Try not to complain about work either."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:55 am

"There's some folks hate everyone, y'know. Not everyone's goin' to like you, but I think you'm in the right way of it all. It's good to know the other lads like you, anyhow - or at least, they'm in the way of gettin' to like you." He nodded, pleased. "D'you 'member talkin' to you about pride - bein' proud of who you are an' what you do? Do you... do you understand what I meant, a bit better now?"
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:04 am

"..I'm not sure if I understand it the way you meant to tell me.. but uh.. I'm proud of me mess? I want t' people that are in t' same lot , us.. ter be doing good.. I don't know. It's not what you meant, is it?"

He frowned, certain that he was making a mistake there. "N' I know people .. s' not going to like me. Ain't going t' try ter lead them on n' act all submissive so they'd think to. I've got me pride, you know!"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:23 am

"No, that is what I meant. An' I never meant you'd have to be all... quiet an' shy an' not bein' yourself. I meant that you'd learn to get on with 'em like... like you'm all on the same level, 'cause they ain't - we ain't worse'n you, or better'n you. It's respect, see. You respect them an' they'll respect you, even without a uniform. Though I think you understand that better now that you did even a few weeks ago." He smiled. "I know I ain't so good at 'splainin' it, but I never pretended I was. But I think you'm learnin', an' better than if I was to talk about it only, an' you was, well, still a middy. An' I'm real proud of you for bein' able to learn it."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

"I'm tryin'. That I promise you. I hope I'll do good, as you say.. but.. 'ey.. don't you distract me now." He grinned. "You was asking about things I've learnt, right? Do you want to know anything else? Here's your chance.. that is, before we're called up n' ter duty. I jus' hope it won't be mine to muck up t' hold after them horses. Ain't wanting to touch it , not even with a long stick!" He shook his head and made a face.

"...thanks for bein' proud of me. " His face positively glowed with pride. "Is..it always feels so nice ter 'ear it. .. n' know sum'one means it too. Probably you don't know what I mean, but.. it just is."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:55 am

"I actually ain't so used to askin' questions as you are, Mathew," the Marine said. "I think you've learned a lot an', well, done a bit of growin' up since you shifted for'rard. I don't think you think of us the same as you did when you fist come aboard, do you?" He smiled at the lad, slightly sadly. "Someone needs to be proud of you. I wish... i wish your folks had told you that they was, sometimes. Seems to me you never had a chance to learn the right way of things, goin' from that sort of home to that ship. No friends, nothin'. i'm awful sorry for that."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 am

"I do think different of you, aye. When I first came all I thought was that t' Tars were all evil, n' blackguards that meant nought but to cause trouble, get drunk, n' attempt mutiny. Well, I'm real glad I was wrong then. Because, if it were true, and I was disrated in such an environment I'd be dead by now. Dead n' right down at t' bottom of t' sea."

He scowled at such a grim thought, though his face cleared somewhat at what Thompson had said next. "Your wishin' is real kind George. N'... it matters t' me if you's proud now. If you say you are. Because.. n' I hope I ain't wrong in that, you do care." He looked down at his hands and the scar on his palm, mirroring the one at the back of his hand.

"They're over there, I'm here. They do send me letters sometimes, as I send mine to them. Most lies I guess. Like how I'm a midshipman learning from a captain that is inspiring me to do great deeds. ..n' how my life is but of great joy and I barely notice that there is work to be done, though I am as laborious as I have been when studying things at home, music or writing, mathematics or such. But.. were I to tell them the truth, it would not ..really do well."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:27 am

"I do mean it, Mathew. How could you think I didn't? I ain't one of them that can say stuff I don't mean." He frowned, leaning his head back. "I s'pose it'd be easier to lie in a letter. 'Cause, well, it ain't someone's voice, is it? Just black markin's on a bit of paper that... well, that tell folks what you want to tell 'em. So, you can write whatever you want your folks to know, can't you? I don't s'pose you'm the first one that's ever done it, neither. So there ain't anythin' really to feel guilty 'bout there, I don't s'pose."

He shrugged. "Though, i ain't so used to writin' home an', well, I came from a diff'rent sort of home to you, so i s'pose I ain't got the reason to... to mislead my folks, like you have. I just hope that it does end up bein' more the truth than it is at the moment. In a good way, I mean. that you end up learnin' good stuff an' makin' some good friends."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:35 am

"I did write of a friend.. in the letter. The last that I am to deliver once I shall head on shore leave." He spoke, and had thanked the marine inwardly, in his mind, several times for his words and for the truth that he so dearly spoke. It made his lips curl up in a smile, and his heart beat with a merry tempo, readying the lad for a chuckle or laugh only on the account of his light array of emotions.

"Well there's some truth as I just said. I've written to them of you.. I hope you don't mind." He looked at his hands again. " It was all good, I promise. And when you do feel like writing home again, just tell me. N' when I'll have time, we can of course sit down and write it up. 'least untill I use my knowledge to teach you something as well."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 am

That took Thompson by surprise and he turned to look at de Guarde with an expression of disbelief on his face. "You... you told them about me? I mean, well, I don't mind, only... I never had anyone talk about me in a letter. Well, not a letter home, anyhow."

He chuckled. "We make a right strange pair, us. I mean, there's me, a Marine Private, an' a bastard born in a cat-house an' raised there an' the streets. An' thne there's you, a young gentleman who's bin turned afore the mast, but brung up in a nice big house with everythin' nice, an' here we are, gettin' to be real good friends. I never had a friend like you afore."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 am

"I did. How could I not?" He nodded seriously and regretted not a single word he wrote, though perhaps regretted not writing more. He smiled seeing the surprise and shock on Thompson's face. Truth be told, at first he thought and worried that Thompson would have not wanted it at all, or so stunned he looked hearing his words. But then it was that he was just astounded that one would write of him and all was well.

"You need not be so surprised, George. Really." He added, slipping into a more polite way of talk. "Hah, a strange pair indeed." He chuckled softly, imagining such a description of a pair of other people alltogether. Sure it would look odd. They had scarcely anything in common by those words. One a marine, the other a Tar, one a private and the other a former midshipman on the way to become a full officer, one of a cat house which seemed to mean that of the ladies of quite a sort of active lives, and he of the great mansions and wealth.

"Perhaps it is.. as they say.. that what is the opposite shall come together." He shrugged and chuckled. "But I am very glad ter be your friend, George. And honoured that you will to be mine." He nodded quickly again.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:09 am

"So... what did you tell 'em, then?" he asked, curious to know what the lad had told his nice, polite gentlemanly family. "I never 'spected to find meself friendly-like with you, or, well, anyone like you. You ain't like any of me other mates, you know. They'm mostly similar to me. I mean, bein' Marines an' thinkin' about stuff in the same sort of way and all that kind of thing." He shrugged. "No wonder you keep all-on askin' me questions about things."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 am

"I told them things about you.. how you are a most precious friend to me, and how your wisdom had aided me in furthering my skills and my prospects of a fine future. How I have debates with you, that could surpass many, and how blessed I am indeed that I have come to know you." He smiled and shrugged. "Things of the sort, that's what I wrote. Some more too. All that you deserve to have, said."

He rested his chin again on his knee, though he tried tilting his head up to see what was above them. "I did enjoy writing that part.. for it was true and it was something I had not done before. Not so exact no."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 am

"You make me sound like... Well, I don't think I'd recognise meself, if i met the man you talked about," Thompson said, chuckling. "I reckon your folks'd be happy to know you've made a friend, though I don't reckon they'd be pleased to find out he's a Marine an' everythin' I said earlier. Prob'ly they'd say I was corruptin' you an' all sorts of things like that. Most p'lite folks don't like bastards, see. It ain't... nice, they'd say."

He chuckled a little more, shaking his head. "Debates, eh? Reckon they'd likely have a fit if they heard us talkin' about what we talk about."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:38 am

"I didn' tell em you's a bastard, though if your teachin' is corruptin' me.. then I wonder how angelic must t' teaching of one that is not, be." He slaped Thompson's shoulder before he realised what he had done. It was similar to that punch that Oxley had given him. A friendly sort.

"But they will learn that you are a marine. And I have explained to them what those are...how important they are too." Perhaps omitting a few details, but he believed none such that were important.

"A fit? well if they heard us talkin' in t' way we do.. Like'um t' words spoken n' chewed up like they was food." He winked. "They'd have me locked in me room with a teacher scolding and torturing me with all them proses and poetries, all them writings just ter make me speak all a' proper again. Well, they might , dunno!"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am

"I don't chew me words," Thompson said, amused. He nearly laughed at the look on de Guarde's faces after the lad slapped his shoulder. He'd looked so surprised at his action. Surprised, and a little disbelieving.

"So... if I ever come round to your home, they'll be 'spectin' some sort of officer, won't they? Not a Private, like I am. An' I couldn't talk all nice like you do, not if me life depended on it, I couldn't. Your poor mum'd be tearin' her hair out if she knew you'd fallen in with someone like me, I know she would."
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 am

"Well.. i didn't tell 'em you's an officer.. nor did I tell em you's a private." He shrugged his shoulders as if explaining something like this to his parents was really unnecessary. "Not in t' first letter I didn't. They mus' first learn who you are.. know you better that way.. and then maybe 'nuff fer what you are too. They'll like you I'm sure.. as I do!" He grinned.

"Though ..I'd have loved to see that too. It'd be t' most that'd be gotten from her anyway." He studied his hand, then Thompson. The man hadn't reacted badly to the slap and... and he was still quite stunned he did it. Well, that was something new he learnt that day. He could do these silly things as well and not be understood as trying to start a fight!
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  George Thompson Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:58 am

"So you didn't tell 'em. So they'll think I'm a proper gentleman, with a sash an' sword like Mister Cartwright." He chuckled at the very idea of wearing a sash and sword and bright scarlet officer's coat. "I hope you'm right, lad, though I don't think anyone from a nice fam'ly like yourn'll want to know a man like me. I'm too... rough an' ready in me manners an' way of talkin', see. Not the right sort of person for a young gentleman to be spendin' his time with."

He grinned, seeing de Guarde looking at his own hand. "It's a hand, Mathew. You got two of 'em, one on each arm. Least, I hope you have. it's awful hard havin' only one arm, like Admiral Nelson done, an' if you had three, I'd wonder what strange creature you was."I
George Thompson
George Thompson
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next