Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Ask a question; pass it on (3)

+32
Sebastian Sewell
Henry Fraser
Jean Delacroix
Friedrich Rottländer
Edward Torrington
Bastien Prayon
Olivia Graham
James Gunn
Josef Widmayer
Nicolas Daubigny
Tobias Danver
Jenny Ross
Maggie Cotton
Terry Button
Brendan Burke
Polly Smith
Lucy Weaver
Gabriel Cotton
David Burr
Timothy Willoughby
John Vickery
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Simon Fletcher
Allhands
José Ramon Calderón
Jonathan Padstowe
George Thompson
Edward Leat
Tom Oxley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Zachary Pye
Mathew De Guarde
36 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 Empty Re: Ask a question; pass it on (3)

Post  Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:53 am

(Waidmann)

Winnie, short for Winfried.

Have you ever given a thought to what your last name means or where it comes from or what it says about your country of origin?

Back to top Go down

Ask a question; pass it on (3) - Page 5 Empty Re: Ask a question; pass it on (3)

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 am

I do not wonder, my man, I know.

Do you have a favourite song, book or play?
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:15 am

Twelfth Night

Have you taken part in amateur theatricals - or professional performances of any kind?

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Father sometimes offered my services to sing at funerals, and charged for it, so I suppose that counts as professional performances.

What is your preferred musical instrument?
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; 2nd Lieutenant
Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:30 am

I do not play my self, though there is the most wonderful young lady at home who is a wonder with the piano.

Do you enjoy the theater?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 am

Theatre? Never bin, sir.

D'you ever sing to amuse yourself or your friends?
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Species : Royal Marine drummer
Number of posts : 2083

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/privat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 am

Yes! But strangely the horses always choose that point to bolt and be uncooperative...

What do you find amusing or hilarious?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Foppery.

If you had all the money in the world, what one thing would you buy?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 pm

All the money in the world? That's a awful lot o' money...

I'd buy a nice house by th'sea, prob'ly.

If you could have a chat with anyone in the world, ever, who would it be, an' why?
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Napoleon. I'd talk to him 'couse... well, I'd want to ask him things, as to why he can't jus' stop t' war n' go back ter where he came from , I think. It's someone I'd least likely be able to talk to anyho'!

Is picking favourites alright and fair?
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:45 am

Of course, especially with the British. I am given to understand that you can not advance beyond the rank of Lt.-Colonel for all the money in the world if you do not have patronage.

Do you think soldiers who disobey orders should be flogged?

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 am

I do not believe in the flogging of men.

Are those who buy their place and promotion not thus promoted not because they were capable, but because they were rich?
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Species : Sous-Lieutenant, 17ème Infanterie Légère
Number of posts : 680

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 am

Of course. That is rather the point.

Are people who fight because they are paid no better than privateers and mercenaries?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 am

No. All Marines, soldiers and sailors should get paid, after all, else you won't be able to recruit anyone into the Marines, Navy or Army, will you? Love of King an' Country ain't goin' to help anyone buy a new uniform, after all.

D'you think it's right to make a man buy his kit out of his bounty money?
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

No. If a man is to risk his life fighting for his country, the least his country could do in return is provide the tools for that fight.

Do you think the people back home appreciate the sacrifice you and your brothers in arms are doing for them?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Yes. Yes, they know we are here to help in the sruggle to remove the French occupation force out of their home, off their land, away from their mothers, sisters, daughters.

Your opinion on the continental system?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:04 am

A folly of Napoleon's that will fail. Great Britain has much more to offer other nations than it needs, and in the end, those countries who sign on to the Continental System will suffer more than they gain. Plus, France isn't exactly playing fair in that particular game.

Do you feel the Blue Stockings Society is a worth endeavor or a group of uppity women?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:29 am

I am not sure of the meaning of 'uppity', but women are as entitled to education as men, and generally put it to much better use.

Do you value freedom more than equality?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:08 am

Neither -- or rather, I would choose a balance. If we are free to do anything we want (like the animals), then the strong will control the weak. On the other hand, if we wish total equality, there would have to be overly stringent controls on everyone in order to maintain that equality. By giving up a little freedom and a little equality, you can achieve an amiable balance.

Do you believe some people are born naturally bad, or is it the product of their environment and upbringing?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:20 am

I believe everyone is born bad. The veneer of civilisation is very thin.

What do you mean when you say "sign on to the Continental System"?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:29 am

*blinks* I suppose by 'sign on' I mean agree to uphold and enforce the British economic embargo. Which not all countries did.

Which would you prefer -- a high-spirited (and therefore somewhat unreliable) horse, or a duller (but more predictable) one?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Well, to put the matter in a nutshell: a beast who from excess of mettle needs much coaxing and manouvring, will give his rider work enough to occupy both his hands and a sinking of the heart when dangers thicken.

So, given that the horse is sound-footed, gentle, moderately fast, willing and able to undergo toil, and above all things obedient--such an animal will
give the least trouble and the greatest security to his rider in the
circumstances of war. I am not sure 'dull' is the word I would use for such an animal, though.

Do you think a country occupied by Napoleon's forces can choose how to conduct its international trading?

[OOC I do love that story of the cavalry officer at Vimiero, who failed to control his horse and it deposited him right onto the French bajonets...]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:11 pm

[OOC laughs at mental image... reins flying, horse giggling over its shoulder...]

Yes.... emphasis on the word "choose". I think a country, like a human, can wear many faces. There is the public face it must show to its French occupiers... cowed and obedient. Then there is its true face.... something only visible behind closed doors, in shadowy alleys, along darkened shorelines. Much commerce is conducted out of the official eye.

Is it best that a woman keep her thoughts to domestic affairs of hearth and home?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 pm

I think that depends on what the woman in question thinks is best for her. I have known many women whose loadstone was the hearth and home - although such women I have also always known to have a knowledge of the local economic situation and agricultural needs that would put any City trader or landowner to shame - while others learn languages or natural philosophy or write books or undertake dangerous operations, or fight for their country. But I think it is just as harmful to force the mother content at the hearth to become a polymath as it is to chain the natural polymath to the hearth. What is best for each woman is best for that woman; it is grossly illiberal to consider 'women' as a single entity, with a single need.

Is it best that a man keep his thoughts to military affairs of muskets and bugles?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 am

When in the field, yes. Though when off the field it may return to such things as women and hunting.

Who do you think is the better general, our Nosy or Napoleon?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next