Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 Empty Re: A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon

Post  Beatrice Hunter Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 am

"Were you hurt in the same skirmish with the French?" Bea asked, referring to Captain Vickery's injury. Clasping the mug of tea with both hands, she idly watched the steam rise.

"And the marching is hardly a good environment for healing wounds, however minor." She took a sip of tea, "When did you last change the bandage Mr Cotton?"

Last edited by Beatrice Hunter on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Species : Civilian camp follower
Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon - Page 3 Empty Re: A Painful Conclusion, 5th July, late afternoon

Post  Gabriel Cotton Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 am

"What? Oh. No - ended up tryin' to break up a fight an' then got into one meself, didn't I? Bast... Other feller had some less'n nice things to say about the Captain, is why. Was doin' all right fer meself, then he goes an' pulls a knife." He looked abashed suddenly, realising that Maggie was right there listening in. "Um. Wasn't nothin' much to worry 'bout, Maggie. No harm done - surgeon says I'll have a bit of a scar but nothin' else to worry about."

He glanced across at Miss Hunter. "It was only done yesterday evenin', an' it's bin fine as ninepence since."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 am

Beatrice dropped her gaze, choosing to focus what was left of her tea rather than voicing any of the comments or queries which almost instantaneously came to mind.

"When are you going back to see the surgeon?" She inquired, not looking up from her tea, "I could change the bandage for you, I have a spare, the Captain didn't need it, save the surgeon the trouble." By the end of the sentence, Bea could feel her cheeks flush, she hadn't meant to babble quite that much.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 pm

"He said to get it looked at this evenin', though he didn't say I'd need to have the bandage changed right away." He shrugged. "If you want to look, I wouldn't say no."

And maybe it would relieve Maggie's mind if it was done here and now, rather than him having to go off to find the surgeon and distract the man from something else.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 pm

"I'll take a look," Beatrice asserted, "If you have the time to spare now, it shouldn't take long."

She smiled warmly, it was good to actually feel useful. Most of the women were following partners or selling useful items such as writing materials; but medicines were hard to come by, and the sparse supplies she acquired often went quickly.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am

Cotton put his tin mug down in the grass and pulled his jacket off before unbuttoning his cuff so he could shove his shirt-sleeve up. He wasn't exactly comfortable with the idea of taking his shirt off in front of a woman not his wife if he didn't absolutely have to do so.

"There," he said, showing the neatly-tied bandage wrapped around his forearm. "Like I said, ain't much more'n a scratch, though a bit of a long one." And deeper than scratches usually were, though he wasn't going to say that and worry Maggie.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 am

Beatrice placed her own tin mug on the ground, pressing it into the grass so it wouldn't tip over. Retrieving the spare bandage from her canvas bag, she looked from the bandage to his arm.

"May I?" She asked, pointing to the bandage wrapped carefully around Mr Cotton's arm.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 am

Cotton nodded. "O' course." He wasn't sure what state it was in; last he'd seen it was in the dark, lit by the surgeon's lantern... though he'd tried not to look too closely. The one thing he was worried about was that the bandage might have scabbed to his arm, and that it would start hurting all over again once that was pulled off.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 am

Bea gently unravelled the knot, taking great care to not aggravate the wound. She had her mother's nimble hands, made for delicate crafts: adapted into stitching wounds and tying bandages.

She began to loosen the bandage, the first layers unwound easily."Ah." Bea sighed as it stuck slightly, tacking to the healing scratch.
"One moment," she took her canteen from the bag, and splashed the water onto the bandage before prising the remainder of the bandage off.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:33 am

Cotton hissed a little as the final layer was unwound - even with the water, it pulled a bit.

"Ain't so bad as all that - said it was only a scratch," he said, looking between the two women, and taking Maggie's hand with his own free, left hand.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 am

"Sorry, Mr Cotton." Bea spoke, glancing at Maggie. "That's the worst of it."

She moved quickly; dropping the used bandage into the bowl containing the Captain's discarded cloths; unscrewing the lid of the canteen; tipping salt into the remaining water before resealing the canteen and shaking the contents.

Without saying a word, she splashed some of the water onto his arm, "I'm out of clean cloths," she sighed as a means of explanation. The water washed the worse off, revealing the scratch.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:35 pm

"Don't think I can help there," Cotton said. The rag he kept for wiping his rifle down with was a long way from being 'clean' - covered in powder residue and gun oil as it was.

"Must've bin a sharpish knife - I didn't feel a thing at first," he continued, looking down at his arm.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:58 am

“No matter, your arm should dry quickly enough.” Beatrice dismissed, it was the height of summer after all. She retrieved her mug, the tea was only lukewarm now, but she swallowed the remainder nonetheless.

“It’s a clean cut,” She commented, “Thank goodness it was a sharp knife, or you would have wound up with an awful scar.”
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 pm

"He's got enough awful scars," Maggie said wryly, standing and giving him a gentle kick. "Won't notice one more. But here, I got a clean cloth somewheres. Or no, I left me things over there. I'll go and fetch it."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 pm

"Reckon it'll scar up, but don't s'pose it'll be so bit bad as all that," Cotton said. It could have been a lot worse of course - the other Rifleman hadn't meant to slice his arm but to slide the knife between his ribs. There was no need to say that and scare Maggie any worse, though.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 pm

"Thank you," Beatrice smiled, cleaning the 'scratch' would take half the time with a cloth, "I'll wash it up when we're done and return it as soon as I can." 

Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 am

Maggie nodded and went to find her pack, leaving the pair of them alone for a few moments.
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm

It was going to leave a scar anyway, Cotton knew it would - he had a minor collection of scars from his childhood and working life before he'd enlisted, not to mention the newly acquired scars on his back. This was just going to be one more to add to the collection, though with a slightly more interesting story than most of the others.

"I hope..." He fell silent, not sure exactly what it was he'd been going to say.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:45 am

“You hope...?” Beatrice encouraged as Mr Cotton trailed off, gesturing with her hands for him to continue as they waited for Maggie to return with the cloth.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 am

"I hope you don't mind dealin' with all this sort of thing," he said, though it wasn't what he'd originally planned to say - he couldn't be sure what he had originally been going to say. "War's a messy old business, after all, Miss."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 am

“I don’t mind, at all.” Beatrice assured him somewhat forcefully. In truth she often felt conflicted; pleased to be of some use, but contrastingly incredibly angered by the fact men forged their careers on body counts, then some of the boys had no other choice, and, and, and. As always there were simply too many factors to lead to a simple conclusion.

“Horribly messy business.” She agreed with a wry smile and a shake of her head.
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:42 am

"Beg pardon," Cotton said, startled by the vim in her tone. "Didn't mean to... to suggest anythin' I didn't ought to." It was probably a good idea to change the topic, but Cotton couldn't think of anything to say.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:54 am

“Oh, no. It’s nothing. Nothing to-“ she sighed, drumming her fingers against her lap as she searched for another thread of conversation.

“Well,” Beatrice said, the smile returning to her face, “What’s it like to be a married man on the march Mr Cotton?,
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am

Cotton gave a one-shouldered shrug. "Not so much diff'rent from bein' an unmarried man on the march, Miss," he replied. "Though it's a bit warmer at night, not sleepin' one in a blanket."

They managed, too, though there wasn't much they could do about the lack of privacy... but he wasn't about to share that detail - after all, some things were private, just between a man and his wife.

"Couldn't ask for a better wife, though," he added. "What about you, then, Miss? Not found a man you'd like to wed yet?"
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Beatrice Hunter Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:22 am

Beatrice shot him an amused expression, "You'll be looking forward to the end of it all, I suppose?" If life wasn't that much different on the march, it certainly would be in England, whereas the majority of the soldiers would be returning to an old life, the Cottons would be building a new one; and that sounded much more interesting.

"Alas, no." She stated with a half-hearted shrug, it had been a topic of many heated debates with her mother; mostly regarding mislaid senses of 'the best option'. But regardless, she had managed to escape marriage up until now, and intended to for at least awhile longer. "Marriage has never been a priority of mine."
Beatrice Hunter
Beatrice Hunter
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next