Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening Empty Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 am

The General had not yet visited the side of the monastry to which the monks had retreated - he had not yet had business to, preferring to leave the Order which they had distrubed enough already as much to their peace as possible - yet this development could not be ignored, if indeed it was true.

He was now walking down one of the connecting corridors, flanked by Sanders, in search of one of the senior brothers who might be able to enlighten him.

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening Empty Re: Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:47 am

The abbot looked away from the novice master at the sound of confident footsteps down the corridor. It was the English General whose headquarters now occupied part of the monastery. What did the man want here on the side where the monks retreated to?

Back to top Go down

Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening Empty Re: Coimbra, 16th - Late Afternoon & Evening

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:58 am

Ahead there were two monks standing talking, and as the elder of the two turned his face to look towards them Wellesley recognised the Abbot who he had met a couple of times before. The best person to ask in the circumstances, and Wellesley slowed his pace, nodding his head politely.

"Forgive me, Father Abbot," he said. "I am sorry to intrude upon your peace, yet I have just now heard a disturbing piece of news from a pair of my sentries. I was hoping that you might be able to tell me whether it was true."

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 am

The abbot nodded to the General politely, then with a gesture dismissed the novice master.
'Disturbing news, my son? Pray tell me of what is it you speak.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:07 am

Had the matter been a less serious one the General might have raised a disapproving eyebrow at the 'my son' - so far as he was aware he was black marked as one of the Heathen Protestant. He lowered his voice slightly.

"That a monk was found dead late this morning in this half of the monastry."

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 am

The abbot stared at the man in surprise.
'I assure you that none of the brothers...,' then the abbot smiled sadly. 'I think I know of what you speak. One of the novices met with an accident this morning, but I assure you that God was watching over his own, and the boy is conscious and well, and the infirmarian tells me will be fit to return to his duties in one or two days.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:17 am

"I am relieved to hear it," Wellesley said, and he blessed the sense he'd had to ascertain the truth of the matter. "And that the boy shall make a full recovery. I have learnt from experience never to trust the word of a private soldier unless it is backed up by a more reliable source or plain circumstance; happily this time proved to be a case of misinformation."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:23 am

'It is indeed. Is there anything else you wished to speak of, my son?' Enquired the abbot, his voice calm and patient, as if he had all the time in the world and was ready to devote all his attention to the General if the man needed it

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 am

"No, thank you," Wellesley said. "You have put my mind at ease. Might I ask, though, how he came by his accident? It must have been quite serious to cause such gossip."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 am

The abbot shook his head, with small sad smile touching his lips.
'You must not be deceived by the fact that our monastery stands in a middle of a town. We are a closed society, and, unfortunately, this gives a fertile ground for rumours, and the smallest things can get blown out of proportion. We might be men of God, but we are still men.' He paused, face becoming serious again, but not forbidding.

'The boy seems to have taken a fall down a flight of rather steep stairs, while it was still dark.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 am

"An unfortunate accident, as you say," Wellesley commented. "Thank you, Father, I shall not take up any more of your valuable time."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 am

The abbot nodded. 'Very well. I thank you for the concern you showed over our affairs, my son, but do not worry yourself so much about them. It is my duty to carry the responsibility for my flock.' Replied the abbot, when he heard a note of disbelief in the man's statement: whoever he was, the abbot certainly did not want him prying into the realm that had nothing to do with him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 am

"Indeed. Good day to you, Father."

Wellesley turned and left, calmly returning down the corridor back to the army quarter of the building.

"Well, that was a waste of time!" he murmured quietly to Sanders once they were out of earshot of the abbot. Sanders made a noise of affirmation; it certainly did not pay to put too much of a score on the word of private soldiers - especially ones that had been standing around for severasl hours with nothing to do.

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am

The rest of the afternoon passed by without incident, and at a half past seven Wellesley finished his dinner in the Mess and returned to his rooms. He had told Hunter to ask Von Dorn for a meeting this evening, yet he had received no reply in the positive. However, it might merely be that Von Dorn was not the kind to send replies to invitations - his cryptic messages so far and use of Hunter was enough indication of that - so he decided to wait.

He settled down in a chair before the fire and studied the letter again. It did not, as before, reveal much about the man. Bold handwriting, a few spelling mistakes here and there with evidence of creative grammar, but he did not even know whether the letter had been written by Von Dorn and not some other hand in his service. He folded the paper up again and put it in his breast pocket.

And waited.

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 am

Fandorin approached the Headquarters at about five minutes to eight. It took sometime for the sentries to locate Hunter, who apparently just finished his dinner. The two greeted each other amiably enough, but beyond that they did not speak.

George led Fandorin through the corridors to the room where Wellesley was secluded and asked the sentries to inform the General about Von Dorn's arrival.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:44 am

The knock came on the door and Wellesley was informned that Von Dorn was here. As he'd suspected; not a man to generally make his intentions known. The General nodded to the sentry, and stood from his chair, back to the fireplace, to face the visitor.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 am

Fandorin came in, leaving Hunter in the corridor. Once inside he stopped. and rested his cane on the floor, taking in the sight of the General.
'Good evening, sir. I thank you for agreeing to see me.' Said Fandorin in slightly accented English.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:07 am

"Good evening, mein Herr," Wellesley replied, his blue eyes scrutinising every aspect of von Dorn's appearance. He indicated Hunter with a lift of his head.

"Would you object to my officer staying?"
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 am

Fandorin looked straight at the General.
'I would for it is not for his ears, but if you cannot be persuaded to see me otherwise...' Fandorin's voice trailed off, and he waited for the General's decision, twirling the cane lightly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:27 am

Wellesley considered for a moment. He did not like the look of this man. He was too confident, too cold and too well-dressed for a mere banker or lawyer, even if he was Prussian. There was somethin that was unsettling about him. An assassin? Possibly. But Wellesley had taken precautions. He nodded.

"Very well," he said. "Hunter, be so good as to take the gentleman's cloak, hat and cane and wait outside."

He could have said 'accoutrements', but that would have left too much open to interpretation.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:36 am

Fandorin gave up his things without a protest. Hunter took the things and left the room.

'Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, sir, perhaps we can get to business.' Fandorin remained standing on the same spot, clasping his hands behind the back. He did turn to look out of the window for a moment but soon the gaze of his 'pupil-less' eyes was back on the General.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 am

"We might, sir," Wellesley said flatly. "But to do that firstly I must know what your business is, as I am - to use a common phrase - somewhat 'in the dark' as to your intentions."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 am

Fandorin drew a small pouch out of his jacket and stepping slowly to the desk placed it there.
'I have, what you might call, a gift for you, sir.' Stated Fandorin coldly, the word gift said as if it left an upleasant taste in his mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am

"For me or for my government?" Wellesley asked, keeping his eyes fixed on Fandorin, not moving from his curent position by the fire.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:57 am

'If you are inclined to be precise, it would be best to say for your army.' Fandorin words were clipped and precise. He rather disliked 'dancing' around the matter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next