Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
On Sentry Duty - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

On Sentry Duty

+6
Edward Leat
Billy Barrow
Cross Johnson
Mathew De Guarde
Jacob Chase
George Thompson
10 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

On Sentry Duty - Page 13 Empty Re: On Sentry Duty

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:02 am

"He had ..." Peter had been going to mention that quick fight that had broken out between Chandos and Kinsella on the first day out. It had worried him, but Fletcher had just pulled him out to the way of the two fighters, and yelled encouragement, probably indiscrimately. Since then the two, both nearly as big as men, had been warily getting to know each other. Like Jack and his next brother Martin - some things just had to be settled by brute force, without rancour. De Guarde probably would not understand the bit about not holding any ill-will after a fight, whether you won or lost.

"I think about them a lot," he admitted, "and write to them - well, I write to Jack, and Dorothea - and my parents. My oldest brother's up at Oxford, so I haven't written to him. The letters haven't gone off yet, of course."

He looked round as the sound of Mr Leat losing his temper, and grinned. "I think Emily gave the lieutenant the rat."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 am

Mathew chuckled at the yell, deciding that little Emily will certainly get a treat after that. Not one, but several , should he be able to get them for her. Good girl, that one! What a splendid feline. He certainly would love to treat her to something of her heart's desire, if only he knew what she favoured."...Emily, was it?"He smiled and the next question was quite about the cat.". Might you know what she has particular likeness to? What food would have that kitten's heart jump?"He paused and found himself embarrassed about the way he spoke. He stiffened his lips and then continued in a considerately normal manner.

"You've .. quite a family."He turned from the boy."... Any fond memories from before you decided the life here, was where you wished to be?"A small smile on his lips.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29 am

"Pieces of meat are generally acceptable," Peter said, "but Emily is very fussy. As likely to ignore you as to accept a - a gift."

He settled back against the rail, and drew a knee up to his chest. He glanced at de Guarde whose face seemed younger. He tried to imagine taking the boy home - as a friend, like Jack had brought home a couple of school friends who lived nearby. He could not imagine him there. But he did not speak as if his family were as dear to him as Peter's were. "We were never lonely," he said. "My brothers - the older ones - all went off to school, but I should have gone next, but when they were home - whenever I could I went with them. There were woods and rivers and the moors - even in winter we'd go out, and I'd pity the girls, who had to stay in. And Papa never scolded us for getting wet, or anything like that. He'd just ask about what we'd seen, birds, or animals or tracks in the snow. And write it down. And we'd bring things home, like birds' eggs or butterflies." He blushed and clutched his knee tighter. "I'll try to find things like that for him when we land," he said softly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:54 am

"You think they will last a long voyage home?" It was quite endearing to listen to the boy, speaking of his family and things he did when home. Exploring the country side with his older siblings no matter what the time of season was. He looked thoughtful.

" Was that book you read, on plants and animals you look so curious about?" From inquiring about others he found himself now asking more about this boy. The questions weren't meant to gain information in which he could use him. Unless there was some strange ploy that even he was not aware of.

Still thoughts returned to Emily. Would she be accepting of his gift, once given, or would she brush it of in a queenly fashion thinking nothing of it? He was not a boy that liked failure but a cat did not need to please nor humour a human, while they often did it for her. He shook his head lightly, glancing at Yates.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:16 am

"I'll make sure that I get things that will last, and not too many of them. The others wouldn't be too pleased if I took up the whole of the midshipman's berth with stuffed animals." He felt the book in his pocket. "That's just a novel - a silly thing about a haunted castle. It's nothing about the sea, though, that's ... " He blushed slightly. "But I do have a book on observing plants and birds and... It's in my chest. I can show you if you like." Which was not what he had expected to end up saying to de Guarde. But suddenly he realized how lucky he had been all his life, and how terrible it must be not to be so blessed with a loving family.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 am

"They'd be more worried were you to take them alive. We've got enough rats as it is."He murmured, thinking about the one that Emily carried about like a trophy.

He blinked, rather startled when Yates offered him to show the book. Of all the things he'd expect of Yates, even in his gentle nature, it wasn't something to do with him."..er...."His eyes searched those of the boy, expecting him to burst out laughing and saying it was a fine joke. But.. so far he hadn't done it. "um.."

He tugged on his cuff, as seemed his habit, by now. "Sure, I'd like that."And then:"If you would not mind." And then he wondered if it was also already time for them to eat.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 am

Once Catchpole had departed the wardroom, he made his way to the midshipmen's berth. He presented the invitation to all the young gentlemen who were in the room, but he noticed that Mr. Yates and that new boy, Mr. De Guarde, were conspicuous by their absence. Chandos told him that he thought Yates was still on deck, but he did not know De Guarde's whereabouts. So Catchpole proceeded up to the deck, where he was greeted by the sounds of men singing and dancing. He saw the group of sailors, one of whom was Chase, and Catchpole was glad to see that he was able to enjoy himself after the flogging he had received.

Not too far away from the skylarking crewmen, Catchpole finally spotted Yates and De Guarde.

"Hello young sirs," he said, "I've come with an invitation from th' cap'n. He wants to have ye dine with 'im this evenin'. Will ye do 'im the honour of attendin'?"
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Captain
Number of posts : 1318

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/post-captain-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:12 am

Peter scrambled to his feet, throwing a quick glance at de Guarde. They would have to go, of course. You didn't claim to have something better to do when the Captain invited you to dine. He had had breakfast once, when on duty when the Captain's breakfast was served. But not dinner. He nodded enthusiastically, and said that of course he would be there - wild horses wouldn't keep him away.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:21 am

"We will be honoured to accept the captain's invitation."Mathew's answer was polite and somewhat formal. Not at all as enthusiastic as Mr. Yates, but it served its purpose. An added smile and a "Thank you. " to Catchpole was just a confirmation, that he was not at all against coming. Rather, he relished in the thought, but taking a hold of the other middie's shoulder he had to add:"... well let's hurry then. We'd best appear proper before the captain!"

He dusted his breeches and waved to the boy:"Come, we've had him wait enough the last time."He grinned and... wait was there actually some humour in his saying? No less he turned and with a fair speeded walk made his way first to the Mid's berth, so as to change and keep a good appearance once standing before the captain. From there it would be straight for the captain's supper.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 am

Peter laughed at de Guarde's remark, and again felt surprise. He did not yet fully trust the boy, but there might be something deep inside, that ...

In the midshipmen's berth he found his clean shirt, and brushed off his jacket. His hair needed a few good pulls with a comb to reduce the tangles to more presentable curls, and he put on the jacket, rubbed at each shoe with a handkerchief and grinned. Everyone else was also sprucing themselves up at the unexpected invitation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:35 am

De Guarde worked with his own, till he looked every inch a proper gentleman, his coat turned out smart, the shoes with a soft glint, and in all not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere on his person. At first there was a bit of chaos down below, as young boys may not be as easy to prepare as trained soldiers. And there was a moment when disarray right ruled in the Berth, and a few heads had knocked together by accident of boys bowing over to shine their shoes or pick a cloth that fell from their grasp, right at the same time.

Still, quite soon all of the midshipmen looked ready to enter a ball of the King's invitation, and ofcourse the captain's as well. De Guarde looked more serious again, and kept for the most to himself, with the others around. So he waited just till they would depart. Silent and back to his old perks.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13