Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
On Sentry Duty - Page 12 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

On Sentry Duty

+6
Edward Leat
Billy Barrow
Cross Johnson
Mathew De Guarde
Jacob Chase
George Thompson
10 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

On Sentry Duty - Page 12 Empty Re: On Sentry Duty

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 am

"...Mr. Yates." It was by accident that he noticed the small figure huddled up beside the rail. He hadn't intended to look for the youth, but felt compelled to seek some sort of company. As much a brute he too was still a young boy. And young boys didn't like to play alone for long. He was roused from below by the sounds, that carried through the timber. Thought to inspect at first.

And then something else had caught his attention and he went his own direction. He looked down at the young gentleman on the floor.

"..what are you doing here?"He asked, his voice betraying that he was somewhat tired. His hands in pockets, his hat was now tucked under his arm, gently enough not to have it loose it's shape.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 am

Peter looked up, startled. He had forgotten to keep a eye out for de Guarde, and now here he was, staring down at him. But there was no obvious antagonism, and Peter stood up, coming out from his shelter. "I was reading - and watching the water. Sometimes, in the evening, when I'm off watch... " Over de Guarde's shoulder he could see the seamen. They would be dancing soon to the fife, drum and fiddle. There were a couple of men he recognized as off duty marines, and, possibly not surprisingly, the centre of attention was the foretopman who had been flogged this afternoon. De Guarde would not be pleased to see that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 am

For now his back was turned to those that were heading to about to be merry. But should he have known that Chase was celebrating more than crying, the boy's rage would be great.

"..What did you think of the ..."He paused, studying the boy. He couldn't find a reason to want to speak with him, and yet he was here, standing before the youth."..What were you reading?"He found himself asking. And then again:"..The flogging. 's what's necessary, you know."He spoke quietly, so that the other middie would hear, but no other.

"..the necessary evil."He smiled faintly, but no warmth came from that smile."What did you think of it?..They usually show more pain.. ye know." He whispered and shrugged."But, 's every flogging different."It didn't seem that he cared if Yates was not interested in his chosen topic.

Last he added:".. you've got that grog? 's been a good promise you make, I hope." This time, almost nice. Perhaps he was just tired too, not wanting to go on another chirade of threats and inflictions of pain. He certainly couldn't go ahead to look for trouble. The lieutenant's scrutinizing gaze remained in his memory as clear as if the man would stand before him. And that of the captain.. neither of them approved of it. The first had shown his feelings more clearly and the boy felt fear first grip him. Not to show it to Mr. Yates ofcourse. To him, he was still the tougher mid.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:50 am

Peter pushed the book into his pocket. It was one he had brought from home, and not something he wished to share with de Guarde. And it seemed as though the older boy was not at all interested in that. He wanted to know what Peter thought about the flogging. And tried to justify it, even though he must know what Peter thought about it and him.

"It may be necessary sometimes," Peter said softly, "but it should not be used just to put fear into the men. One day you may regret that. I hope so. As for the grog," the arrangement had been that Peter would give him grog in exchange for the other's teaching. The only thing he'd learned so far was that de Guarde was a bully. A very necessary lesson, but hardly worth a ration of grog. But Peter didn't like the stuff, so he nodded and said: "You can have mine when it's passed out. I don't mind."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:04 am

"Regret?"He looked at young Peter as if he had just grown a horn. He was about to say something when the boy agreed. It left him quiet for a moment, for he expected to be told no and was prepared to convince the boy with all means necessary.. enough.

"..I'm glad you agree."But it wasn't about the grog, though that thought was now stored and he was glad of it. It was about the floggings and their necessity."Atleast in part."He motioned to the young man to sit down. He heard the music well, and looked irritated at the sound. Yet curious all the same. Not the kind of thing that would often be seen on the Confidence.

"But in time.. it's you who may learn that there is, regretfully, no other way." There were many things that the young middie didn't know yet and he was willing to teach him. Not the drinking though, for that was as much a blessing as it was a curse.

Well, maybe, but not now."You'll learn to bear it no mind."He nodded. "But... remember Yates."He started suddenly."..You owe me one. Jus' so. Remember it." His voice with a tone of warning."..n'..I swear if you tell 'bout t' deal n' drink."Though tired, his voice still held an edge."..I'll have your life made miserable..in ways you can't imagine."

His voice softened again:"..now..do they do this often?"He motioned to the source of melody and dance.

(OOC And with this, I too depart. Adieu!)
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Findlay had been silent throughout the entire ordeal, standing at rigid attention to witness the punishment as any officer ought, but finding himself frowning severely the entire time. He still felt ill and weak from a week of near-constant retching and so would not have enjoyed the show even if he were partial to the use of the cat.

Edrington's movement towards him once it had finished was a mere flash out of the corner of his eye; he blinked and turned his head slightly towards the lieutenant-colonel with a certain sense of heightened awareness. The sky seemed brilliantly blue and the sunlight subtly mocking as it shone cheerfully onto a scene of military brutality - the red of their coats and those of the marines were almost painfully bright, even through the natural fading from light and salt air.

The young gentleman who had evidently been responsible for the affair had been the same one about whom the second lieutenant had spoken. Not knowing the particulars of the incident, the major was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt: perhaps the seaman had been insubordinate after all, though really, there were better forms of punishment available. What had Leat said? 'Over-eager'. He still wanted to believe that the boy's path could be corrected with the right guidance, if only he were dealt with firmly, consistently, and led by example.

Even as the thoughts were rolling, half-formed through his mind, he pushed them away and cleared his throat quietly. "I think I've had enough sea air for the moment, my lord; perhaps I can tempt you into joining me for a game of piquet or vingt-et-un below?"

OOC: Sorry for holding anyone up...I was quite literally kidnapped last night and dragged out to the pub >.> Horrible hangover this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cross Johnson Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Hmm? Brandeson glanced blearily at the cavalry officer, surprised by his words. Had enough of sea air? The Marine lieutenant couldn't quite understand the discomforts that a dedicated land-serving officer would have aboard ship. "Discomfited, sir?" Brandeson asked in his thick voice. "A tot of good claret will help with that!"

And he offered an uneven laugh, thinking of the bottle he had stowed away in his sea-chest. His attendant should be getting a glass ready for him in the wardroom. Perhaps he would see that bottle empty by the time the watches changed. Brandeson grinned, mostly to himself, and started toward the deck stairs, uncaringly oblivious to the other two officers now that the thought of good claret had entered his mind.
Cross Johnson
Cross Johnson
Midshipman

Species : Royal Marine Corporal
Number of posts : 406

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/corporal-cros

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:49 pm

"Aye, sir," Leat replied. "Let us hope, for the sake of the crew ,that he learns swiftly."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; 2nd Lieutenant
Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am

De Guarde's self-confident assertion that he too would come to realize how essential floggings were, annoyed Peter. Could he not even consider that he might be wrong? That there might be another way of commanding a ship, by a respect that did not require cementing with the blood of the innocent? But conscious of his own lack of experience he merely nodded thoughtfully - until de Guarde threatened him. Strangely, he had thought little of the 'bargain' over the rum: he had something, or a ration of something, that he did not want, and which de Guarde did. It had seemed little different from offering to give the boy his share of the dried peas. But de Guarde's threat meant, paradoxically, that the older boy had given Peter a hold over him. Something to remember, just in case.

Peter's face cleared of its worry as de Guarde brought the ocnversation back to the dancers. "I have seen them do it before, but not everyday. Just when - " he bit short 'something to celebrate' and continued ' there's fine weather and no immediate duties. They'll be ready enough if the officer of the watch calls them. They are there with his permission."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 am

"I'd expect that they have permission.. else they'd be right foolish to be so bold." He looked to Peter curiously:"...Would you care to explore.."He motioned in the men's direction, inviting Yates to come with him and see the merry time up close. An invitation of company, not of ability to go ofcourse.

He couldn't point a finger to why these people wished to celebrate at all. Hadn't they a man amongst them that was flogged? If that was a reason for dance, then these people were mighty odd, mad even! Perhaps Yates could shed light to it and so he turned to the boy again, asking just the question. What was it, that they broke out in music for? He didn't think it would have been to mock him with their happyness, to show he has done nothing much to their spirit. As much as he felt himself important, he doubted his influence to be as great.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:55 am

"We are not invited. Why should they welcome us?" It would not be right to force their way into the men's celebration, that was obvious even to Peter. Even if he had gone alone, relying on youth and innocence to clear a way for him, it would have been a gross intrusion. The men would probably have pretended not to be annoyed, but that was because he was an officer or almost officer. And they would be stilted and uncomfortable until he had gone. De Guarde's presence would not only be unwelcome, they would positively resent it. And de Guarde would see Chase, and ...

"We can watch them from here," he said, "but even that's a bit like spying, don't you think? Would you like it if they hung around snooping while you were enjoying yourself?" If you ever do enjoy yourself in a way that doesn't involve getting someone else hurt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 am

"..it's quite far though."He answered, watching the figures rejoice, the music carried clearly across to them, thanks to the wind. He looked to Yates and shrugged. Sitting himself down for the brief duration he considered.

".. and you believe they don't? Spy or watch us while we enjoy ourselves or merely even pass." He shrugged again and touched his hat, rolling it between his hands. "We are officers... they ought to bear that in mind.. and bear our presence too." Offhandedly said, he placed his hat on one knee, and brought both hands behind his neck, leaning back a bit.

"You never went closer?"He gazed to the sky, comparing his new ship with the old. So different, the people and the officers that he wasn't sure if he had ever just been conjuring this in his dreams, or was he really here. "You're not curious at all then, Mr. Yates. If you haven't gone, mind you."He yawned a little." Have you ever even done something that would not please the captain? Or what would be more to your wishes and liking, perhaps a game or such, with your fellow middies?" He still considered going, perhaps coming close in such manner that none would see them. He was curious actually, and there was no mal intention in wanting to go. Not yet atleast.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:24 am

"Only if I had to," said Peter, looking at de Guarde in this relaxed moment. "And I could see them hoping I wouldn't stop, or talk to them, or anything. They just want to be allowed to be themselves for a while. And yet there was no ill-will," he added hurriedly. "You could see the same thing at home, when the farm labourers were drinking and talking - yes, and dancing sometimes. They respected my father - he's the rector - but as soon as he came near they would stop enjoying themselves until he had gone."

"And the midshipmen do skylark, when they feel like it A troop of apes, the Master called them - us."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:34 am

He listened silently, still observing the sky and the few small clouds that hurried across their path, fluffy white. Men did shy away from authority. Even if those had stayed off duty. He wondered though why the marines.. for he saw enough to distinguish the coats of some, were mingling with the sailors. They were certainly the two kinds to enjoy each other. Considering one was to keep the other in line.

He glanced to Yates, at about the time he last finished the sentence. "Does he?"He couldn't help but smile at the notion. A troop of apes. It held some humour and truth in how it fit the lot of young officers sometimes. "..Why do you stand? Come sit."He murmured realising that the boy had risen earlier and since, was standing.

"...So,... what do you do aboard this ship, to have fun?"As relaxed as a rabbit with his favourite clovers at paw's reach.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 am

Peter sat down rather warily. At least de Guarde seemed to have dropped his idea of trying to join the sailors on the foc'sle. "There's always duty, and things to learn. Ropes and knots and ... " Learning new things, and practicing them, like practicing with his telescope, or doing mathematical calculations, or even tying knots, could be fun. But probably not the sort of thing de Guarde meant. "We talk a lot - well, the others talk about things they've done, because they've all been on different ships." Peter thought that a deal of boasting went on in the midshipmen's berth, and that once he had the chance he would probably join in. No one would believe him at the moment, but give him a bit more seniority over someone, and he'd been telling tall tales of storms and fights and long chases. "And a couple of them play chess quite often, when they have the chance." And there were races up to the foretop, or the maintop. And long, complicated jokes, which were generally without much point, but could still leave everyone gasping for breath with laughter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 am

"Indeed," Bolitho said, "Well, I do greatly appreciate your concern, Mr. Leat, and I would be much obliged if you would keep as close an eye on Mr. De Guarde as you are able. I will do the same myself, but I would be glad to know that someone else will be watching him as well."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Captain
Number of posts : 1318

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/post-captain-

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:17 am

He didn't mean that sort of things. When Yates first mentioned the knots he wondered if the boy even knew what fun was. Later with talk he considered the boy on more proper a path. Chess could be entertaining and he had played it before a while, and lastly the fun that he could understand though not agree to have experienced too often.

"What ships do they hail from?"He asked casually. A tap was followed by a gentle rap of knuckles on the wooden surface. Faint, almost silent. "Any you particularly dislike?"Well that was not a sound question for a midshipman whose popularity was in most negative a manner.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:23 am

"Sir."

Leat knuckled his forehead and then exited the cabin, heading below to the gundeck and through to his cabin in order to change out of his best coat.

He opened the thin door.

And saw the dead rat on his cot.
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 am

What a strange question? Was de Guarde proposing that they form an alliance against Peter's enemies? Did he even have enemies? He thought not. A couople of the older midshipmen, like Chandos, had been dismissive at first, but it was not a bullying mess, and his experience with older brothers and their friends had taught him to know his place without needing to grovel. Until this boy arrived, that is. Things would change now, he had no doubts, and - well, if he were to form an alliance with anyone, if the midshipmen took sides, it would not be with de Guarde, not on present evidence.

"Chandos - he's the senior - he was on the Sparrow, wtih Captain Bolitho, and Fletcher on the Berry. Dunnock - I'm not sure of the ship, but he claims to have been round the Horn twice. Once when he was only ten."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 am

"Oh.. on what ground is your dislike based?"He inquired quite simply. He stored the two names of ships in memory, though thought that they would offer him no use at all. He didn't intend to make friends but casual talk was not beyond him. Perhaps he delighted too in being safely away from the officers of superior rank. Not a pleasant bunch, when they kept their eyes on you, for sure. Especially if the reason was not to give a word of compliment.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 am

Peter laughed suddenly. "I don't dislike them! I don't dislike any of them. But you asked what ships the others had served on." He shook his head. "They can be a bit stand-offish, and I wouldn't say we were friends yet, but I have hopes of Fletcher. He's just a bit older than me, but has much more experience, so he treats me like a child. But that won't last." He became concerned that anything he said would be used against the others, and fell silent, listening to the music and the laughter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 am

".."Looks startled at Peter. Not dislike a single one? What was this boy? Either too naive to notice when he was being made a use for or just a too unnatural a being! No dislike?

He sensed later the youth's unease and tried to animate him into talk. "...He's the one that summoned us to the captain, right?"He paused then, wondering if the time was yet for them dine. "..n' Chandos.. how is he? .."Was this a kind of give and take? Supply one with an answer to their question and then have them to do the same? Perhaps that would make the boy speak more freely, more comfortable at knowing or atleast feeling that he was not being asked for the benefit of the future. "...If you would like to.."He began."...You can ask a question too...we are talking, are we not?.. ..but, I'd hope you think to honour me enough.. to have my questions answered too." A warm smile which could have been as much a practiced fake of an excellent actor, or true.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm

"Chandos?" How to explain? "He treats me like a child, a rather annoying child who wants to go with an older brother. " That might help de Guarde understand. And he had invited questions, after all.

"Do you have brothers and sisters? I have four of each and I'm in the middle."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 pm

"I do." He asked for it, he knew, and it would be unkind not to return the favour to such a simple question."..An older brother and sister. And I had.. "He paused considering again:"..a brother who died before I was born." It wasn't hard to understand about Chandos's treatment. "Could be that there are more now."He shrugged.

Chandler sounded like a standard kind of boy. As all siblings who had often to put up with their younger brothers or sisters and could not go without one tailing loyaly behind them. It was a great opportunity for the older to use the younger ones ofcourse. Bring this and that, carry this for me, climb up to fetch something of a tree that has lodged itself between the branches. All this, when the parents weren't about. But did he do it too?

"He treats you the same way as others?.."He rephrased his question:" How does he treat the rest?" And then a more personal question, drawn to attention by the great number of children."Do you miss them? Your brothers n' sisters, I mean."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm

It was at this moment that a thunderous roar sounded below decks - from which the words 'wretched little bitch' and 'mangy fleabag' could just about be distinguished.
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next