Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Saturday evening, the Rifles are back

4 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 Empty Re: Saturday evening, the Rifles are back

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 am

Pye shook his head chuckling softly at the idea. Ah, he'd heard how great a shot Cotton was, and even if one was average, he'd have doubted he'd have been good enough so soon or even ever. Well atleast if speed did not matter he could try to be better.

It was encouraging though, and he knew he'd try his best. Couldn't do much else in the army, train in the way one was fighting, that sort of thing took most of the time and all.

"We'll show them Frogs. Will have them runnin' fer their money sooner than they'll know wot' hit them. Get enough time fer doing this, once they're run off."

He grinned and thought more on it.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Saturday evening, the Rifles are back - Page 3 Empty Re: Saturday evening, the Rifles are back

Post  John Vickery Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 pm

"That's the spirit," Vickery said, smiling as Roper brought over two mugs of tea and offered one to Vickery. He winked at Pye as he gave him the second mug.

"We'll have to try to arrange some proper training for you as soon as we can," Vickery said, accepting the mug held out to him.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 pm

"Thanks, Roper." He smiled at the man accepting the mug. He held it carefully in his arms, not to have himself burnt on the hot water and not to spill it. He'd proper his rifle over his lap, leaving it to dry where it had been scrubbed and doused with water.

He looked genuinely eager for that sort of training to begin, or be set. "That would be great, sir." He spoke with a grin, and a look of anticipation. Hard work didn't seem to bother him, even if there was some of it. "We'll just try a little harder to get the Frogs running sooner at that! Tell 'em they'd be smarter if they did that, else t' 60th will come, n' they'll regret ever not listenin' ter us!" He hadn't known what trouble Vickery had had because of his transfer.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:52 pm

"We'll chase them all the way back to Paris just for you, Rifleman Pye," Vickery said with a boyish grin, before blowing the steam off his mug. Pye would indeed be a valuable man to have and if he had any more trouble from Sir Henry Simmerson, he would fight tooth and nail to keep him in the green jacket he was wearing.

"Though we will have to see how far they run after we chase them out of Oporto first. What have you been shown so far?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Pye chuckled. Captain's words made him imagine it, and it was all the funnier when he did. Of course nothing of the sort would ever happen, but it was amusing thinking of it. The Frogs cursing him because the whole army sent them packing so some lad could train a little. He laughed a little, and then quietened down apologetically, smiling at Vickery.

"Shown? Oh, I've been shown firin' firs' by rifleman Cotton and then we were on picquet duty. There 'twas learnin' to know from something that's just a branch falling down to knowing when ter sound the alarm. A bit more than that atleast." They did do some duty when he'd been in the 33rd, of course, but still.

"Then, sir. We were learnin' me skirmishin' n' how t' order goes.. and who and when you move. N' of course, never to keep yer head up n' stand like a redcoat! Not if you'er a Rifleman no! Not if you're goin' like we did." He shook his head. In pairs or more they sought shelter and went low, he'd nearly lost his head, when he'd gone and stood as if he were in a line.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 pm

"It seems you're well on the way to learning what you need to know, then," Vickery said. " I think we might rearrange the skirmish line a little, though, just for a while. If we put you and Roper nearer the middle, you'll be able to hear me when I tell Joe Cavender what I want doing, which might help you learn the bugle calls a little quicker. And if there is anything you aren't sure of, stay with Roper and do what he's doing. Although I think you'll pick it up quickly enough. You seem like a bright lad, after all."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:00 am

"Yes, sir." He just hoped that Roper wouldn't feel cheated out of first dibs when he was not up front with the rest. The second that Vickery told him wasn't as hard to consider and do. Just follow Roper, and he'd know best. He smiled. That was very true, and the man was able, very able.

Himself, a bright lad? Wasn't what he was told really. Not before atleast. Been called daft, stupid and many a name. He looked quite startled and surprised again to be told so. He smiled: "m' jus' a simple lad, sir." And he wasn't being humble, just truthful.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:56 am

Vickery smiled nd poked another stick back into the fire before blowing the steam of his mug and taking a sip of tea. He smiled at the younger man. "You've got a brain in your head, though. Like Cotton has, and Roper. You just need to learn to think - you won't get in trouble for thinking, not with me. Learn to read the ground, as Cotton does. Knowing when things are safe and when it's not as it should be will help you a lot. And don't be afraid to give your opinion when I ask. There are times when you should be quiet, and times when you should speak up. As I have said before, we're not a redcoat regiment, and we do things differently."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 am

"As long as there's nothing written on it I'll learn it sure." He nodded with confidence. "Sir.. times for quiet.. bein' when we're not asked, aye?" He sipped at his tea which had gotten somewhat cooler by then. After a few gulps of it he looked up again. "Or like now, though if.. sir, there's time when I ought ter be quiet, n' I don't know it, then .. jus' say , I really mean no offense if I'er speak when I don't know i shouldn't."
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:36 am

"It's not quite as bad as that, Pye," Vickery said. "Most times, you'll know. I mean, if we're close to the enemy and need to be quiet, or on parade. In those sorts of situations, that's when we need silence. But if you need to say anything at other times, that's fine. And I know you don't know things yet and I will make allowances for that."

He sipped at his tea again. "At times like this, though, it's fine to talk, to say what you think or ask questions."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:48 am

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." He said quickly and took another sip from his mug. He looked at the flame and reached out to it slowly. Watching how the flame licked at his fingers before he jerked the hand away from the heat.

" Sir,..What's your mind on.. second chances?" He'd heard about how Cotton had gotten one, though he hadn't gone to the source to ask. He did see that the green coated man was permitted to return to his duties and seemed the better for it. As for whether he was guilty or not, he didn't know and decided that if he was and Vickery had done that to accept him again, it was only better.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:34 am

"I think everyone deserves a second chance. It is what they do with it that matters, though, and what they did that made them need a second chance. Not everyone takes a second chance, and some people know it when they do, and just want to be able to put things right." He glanced at Pye. "What made you ask?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:26 am

"It matters what they did to need it? How does that matter, sir?" he asked and then shrugged lightly. He didn't know whether it mattered. He was also curious and he thought about Cotton and knew the man got a second chance. A great one even, which was something that made him smile. That man deserved it, whether he really did what he was accused of, or not.

If he'd known that it mattered, he'd have said something, instead he looked questioningly at Vickery.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:14 am

"Well, if a man's generally good, trustworthy and reliable, he'll be more likely to take a second chance and do his best to prove me right for giving it to him. I'll give every man another chance, though, if I can. Unfortunately, there are some things so great that it isn't possible to give a man a chance to redeem himself."

He thought of Cotton and wondered if Pye knew about that story.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:33 am

"What are those things like, sir?" He inquired, and sipped from his mug, the tea slowly becoming cooler and easier to drink without getting burnt on it. The answers added to the picture that he had of this man, they formed his personality in his mind, and the impression that he had of Vickery. He smiled.

"Ah...n' what do you judge a man by, sir. "
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:19 am

"Things like murder. And rape. For which there is no justification." He sipped at his tea. "I judge a man by the things I see him do and the way I see him act. If a man does something worthy of punishment, I want to know whether it's in his character to do that, or if there was some error of judgement that led to his doing it - or if he did it out of sheer necessity."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:28 am

The youth nodded, a somber expression on his face. What Vickery had brought as crimes was something terrible though possible and probable to happen at times. He'd heard it being said, he'd seen what war could do. Murder or killing, well the two were a different thing and yet the fine line between them was sometimes hard to find. The other, well, he'd heard it but thought ill of it.

"Sir, are there men you've had.. thought were.." He didn't know how to phrase it. "..I'm glad you'd consider t' character of the man , sir. It's.. not t' sort of thing many officers would." He looked down rather quickly , fearing that he'd spoken out of turn. "..." But just as he opened his mouth he closed it again, looking nervously at his rifle. "Is good tea." He said at last and smiled.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:53 am

He wasn't sure what the lad was going to ask, and didn't want to assume anything. He also wasn't going to say anything about any other officers. "It is nice tea, isn't it," he said instead. "I prefer Cotton's, myself, but I think I may be a little biased. And Roper certainly does know how to make a good cup." He looked across the new Rifleman. "You might like to talk to Cotton about some of this as well," he said, knowing that there were certain subjects a man would never discuss with his officer, however friendly that officer was.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 am

He grinned and thought that if Cotton had heard that he'd have been beaming with pride. That was a nice compliment even if it were only about tea. Any good word from an officer was gold and compliment on skill too!

"Yes sir, I would like!.." Well this was a good time as any to ask , when Cotton had been brought up and it wasn't he who named him first. " But.." The captain would know best where his batman was. Perhaps even more than the fellow riflemen would know of that man's whereabouts.

"Sir, where.. when.. where is he , n' when free so's .. to be able to talk to him?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 am

He indicated where his tent had been pitched. "He's with Maggie at the moment, over by my tent. Only, they've had a hard few days, so leave them alone for now. I daresay Cotton will come over here if he wants. He messes with Roper, Jacklin and Newbury, and it looks to me as though they've accepted you into their mess as well. You'll get a chance to talk to him soon enough. I don't keep him employed every moment he's not on duty, after all."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 am

Jenny had to step around Pye to reach young Joe Cavender who was spooning out the stew. "Could I take a bowl of that, Joe? For Maggie." She gave him her bowl and he took it with a grin, asking her where she had been the last few days. She answered him absently, still staring around for Newbury. She looked at Pye and simply blinked at him before turning back to thank Cavender for the food.
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Species : Camp follower, 60th Rifles
Number of posts : 1026

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jenny-

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 am

In one go he had learned all, without asking a single question in turn. Cotton's troubled days had to do with Maggie. Since she weren't around when he looked so miserable it was either that they've had an argument or that there was some weight in what he'd heard being said in passing. Gossip wasn't a lady's past time only, nor a lass's.

Either way, all was well now, for they were together, and they wanted some time alone, which pointed to the fact that whatever had troubled Cotton and Maggie had now been taken out of the picture. He smiled brightly at that news. It was a great bit of it, and the sort that would have been well worth to have a cheer for.

"That'um great then, sir." No more questions to be asked on it. Didn't matter what the trouble was, unless Cotton wanted to say. He'd not ever have asked the captain, wouldn't either the other men. It was Cotton's business and his decision who it was to be shared with.

"Bes' he's with his lass." Well he wasn't that daft not to guess whose Maggie was and what they had. "N' Roper n' Palmer good teachers, very good ! So no need t' take that time!" He nodded with the bright smile still there. His smile broadened into a grin. "Is a great mess, we'er having Jacklin' ter cook n'all!" He looked dreamy for a moment, all for the thought of food.

Then he had the girl come about and he looked very startled at her appearance even if he had noticed her before. "Hi.. miss." But she was already looking away and he looked a bit awkwardly at his rifle instead.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ross Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 am

Jenny did not hear or else did not notice him in her distraction, and she slowly walked away towards where Cotton was pitching the captain's tent.
Jenny Ross
Jenny Ross
Commander

Species : Camp follower, 60th Rifles
Number of posts : 1026

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jenny-

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:37 am

She looked like she'd been sleep walking, did too pay as much attention to things, people, and talk. She'd been going in the direction of Cotton and Maggie's too. Maybe she didn't know them two had to be left alone, though she was carrying food for them. One of them. So maybe she knew or was sent by the woman. It was like that, the girls sticking together. Could send a man packing!

Silently he looked at the captain. If the lass needed to be told, the officer would know best.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 am

He noticed Pye's inquiring look. "She'll be all right, taking Maggie's supper for her." He smiled at the younger man. "What happened concerns Maggie and Cotton, though a few other people know of it. People like Jenny Ross. It isn't that we are trying to keep you out of something, only that it's a private issue."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next