Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
The Great Cabin - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

The Great Cabin

3 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Great Cabin - Page 9 Empty Re: The Great Cabin

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:25 am

Stephen shrugged with a smile. "This operation has always been a spectator event before."

Last edited by Stephen Maturin on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 am

Raoul was relaxing gradually, and found another smile. "I would be there for you, and would enjoy to walk about on land, again. But I think I will wait until we reach our destination. I shall be very well, and will do as the Captain commands - either Captain."

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 am

Operations at sea must in that case be very different to operations in the field, Padstowe thought. Perhaps it was more a novelty factor? In the army serious wounds were not uncommon, to put it mildly, and most soldiers would rather see the unfortunate screaming bugger on the table put to an end with a pistol than have him go under the surgeon's knife, only to die in agony or a blessed delerium of fever later.

"You may do as you please, capitaine, but I believe I shall prefer to stay aboard ship."
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Species : Wellesley's Staff
Number of posts : 3594

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 am

Stephen looked up at them with a nod. "It will probably be easier - we will probably be full in the boat in any case. It should not take very long."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:55 am

"Then you will not want me and my guard," Raoul said. "but now - shall we go below and see you fed, doctor? That, I know, is not a spectator event, but one that I would watch with greater pleasure than seeing you cut into Mr Crozier's skull..." He glanced up at the sheets, still as taut as earlier. "I cannot say, but the weather still seems fair - you will have your steady land surface tomorrow, rather than performing on the deck."

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 am

Padstowe descended the next ladder by way of a reply, his blue eyes regarding the doctor impatiently.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 am

"Thank the Dear - that will certainly help. Lighting is essential, but firm ground beneath is..." Stephen caught Padstowe's impatient look and faltered, going down the ladder.

Last edited by Stephen Maturin on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:23 am

Raoul followed, cutting off his retreat. If any of his patients had behaved in such a manner, Stephen would have been scathing in his condemnation of their foolishness. He really did need a nurse-maid, sometimes.

Most of those eating supper had left the messdeck while they talked above, and now only a few - those who had been on deck earlier - sat eating and talking in the dim light. The wardroom was more generously lit, but the low ceiling and the lack of windows did not make it cosy but cramped. Perhaps to those used to it, or to worse conditions, it would be welcoming. A marine, standing outside his cabin door, watched him suspiciously.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 am

Padstowe smiled at the watching Marine as he shepherded the doctor into a seat, acknowledging those few officers that were still there. His smile still remained on his face, and perhaps even broadened a little, when at the mention of 'fish' the steward shuffled out and returned with a plate of what was undoubtedly cooked herring.

The captain also noticed the grey tabby he had seen about the ship sitting next to the table, a very put-out expression on its face as it saw the plate of herring go to the doctor. It mewed pathetically, and somehow Padstowe felt that he no longer wished to enquire for whom the fish had originally been caught.

Last edited by Jonathan Padstowe on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:20 am

Stephen smiled, embarrassed, when Padstowe asked if there was a possibility of fish, and he shared another with Raoul, more amused, when the cat was indignantly forced to give her treat. He bent briefly to scratch her ears by way of an apology. "Capitaine, will you have some?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:32 am

"Thank you - but I would not rob you of your meal," Raoul said meaningfully. There was a rather nice looking pie, and he wondered briefly at the habit that could make eating that today seem a worse sin than others he was too ashamed of even to take to confession. There was a rather rueful expression on his face as he took one of the herring and saw the cat follow the movement of his hand with a baleful glare.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am

Padstowe on the other hand helped himself to a small slice of pie. Naval pastry was, by nature, an interesting construction and so he decided to avoid eating much of that and take out the filling instead. It appeared to be steak and kidney, and by the lack of a very strong taste of salt assumed it must be fairly fresh steak at that.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:53 am

Stephen ate a piece of the herring, and to his surprise found that his stomach responded with a sudden declaration of hunger. He reached for a bread roll, blithely ignoring the protests of the cat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:01 am

Padstowe was relieved to see that doctor eat with something approaching enthusiasm. Perhaps by way of compensation he dropped a piece of steak onto the floor. Never one to miss a chance, the cat advanced and sniffed cautiously at the meat. She licked at the gravy covering it, then devoured the cube with haste. Once finished she sat up and looked expectantly at the captain, who found that he had another incident of clumsiness and dropped a second piece of meat to the floor.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 am

"Jonathan, are we at this again?" asked Stephen, in Portuguese and in a whisper.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

"At what?" Padstowe whispered in return. He looked down at the tabby. "It is only a cat."
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

"I meant you, not eating," said Stephen, not looking up from his plate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 am

"I am eating!" Padstowe protested, though still in Portuguese. "Yet I did not think two pieces of meat would go amiss - by way of compensation, as I do not believe the fish may have originally been intended for you or the Capitaine."
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

"Ah, yes, we Papists should feel privileged to have the cat's food," said Stephen, with a small smile. "Eat the rest."

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am

"I did not mean it like that..." Padstowe said with a sigh, but in resignation picked up his fork, giving the cat a cursory scratch behind the ears and started to eat his supper properly.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 am

"I know," Stephen said simply, breaking his bread.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am

"But I am glad they had it anyway," Padstowe murmured, before shoving in another mouthful of pie. The pastry really was quite tasty if you let the gravy soak in a bit to not make it quite so hard on the teeth.
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Raoul tried not to catch the eye of the other two. It would be embarrassing to laugh at them, when he was not absolutely certain if Dr Maturin was joking. If it was a joke, it was barbed as sharply as the hook that had caught this fish. But the doctor was eating, and relaxing - and although aware of the Marine watching him, he was relaxing too. He might even be able to sleep, he thought, growing accustomed to the movements and noises of the ship, and the strangeness of the cot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:04 am

Well, whether from the cat or not, Maturin seemed to be eating the fish with enthusiasm - as did Raoul.

"How is it anyway, capitaine?"
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:42 am

Raoul swallowed the fish, and its accompanying bread. "It is very good. And fresh bread... It was good of them to think of us." There was a glint in his eyes. "Your pie looks excellent too. The officers at least eat well, and feed their guests well."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next