Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

5 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 Empty Re: Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 am

'Yes, sir, the skirmishing. I was at the rifle's competition too, but, eh, did not get to see much of it, unfortunately.' George smiled. Then an idea struck him: Brandon was the main ADC, Brandon might be privy to such business of Wellesley's that none of the other ADCs were. He smiled shyly at the man again and waited for an opportune moment: he was going to see if Brandon knew anything about this 'shadow' he seemed to have acquired.

Back to top Go down

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 Empty Re: Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am

"Would have liked to see the rifle's competition myself, but couldn't make it. They are supposed to be excellent shots, manny of them. Do you happen to know who won it?"
The General's words were still on his mind, though he still couldn't see where these suspicions came from really. Hunter seemed to be a decent enough fellow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 am

'Rifleman Cotton, I believe, sir. At least that is what Captain Needham of the Engineers told me: I was somewhat distracted at the time.'

There was a loud laugh from somewhere in the crowd: just what George was waiting for. He acted as if he was startled, turning to the direction of the sound for a moment. Then shrugging apologetically at Brandon, he said quietly: 'I am sorry, sir, but I just cannot shrug off a sense that I am being watched today. Silly, isn't it? I just hope it's not a first sign that I am going mad.' He smiled tiredly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

"Ah, Cotton... I heard about him. One of Vickery's lads if I'm not mistaken."

He was surprised to see Hunter jump at the admittedly quite loud laugh. That kind of noise surely had to be expected with such a merry crowd of men, all chatting and enjoying themselves. But it were the Captain's words that truely astonished Brandon. He raised an eyebrow in question "Do you, really? And just what makes you think that?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 am

"No, we didn't have much trouble. Advance in skirmish order, charge with swords, clear streets... oh, was that you with the Captain? So, you did well then."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:06 am

George ran a hand trough his hair worriedly: 'I do not know, sir. It is just a feeling... Like an itch between my shoulderbaldes...' George sighed. 'Perhaps, I am tired and that is making me imagine things.' Brandon controlled himself better than George thought, or the man did not know anything. 'I am sorry, sir. I should not have bothered you with this.' George averted his gaze from the Colonel, as if embarrassed of his non-soldier like behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:20 am

"Thank you," Waldegrave flushed. He had not done badly, he thought. He had lost Acorn... that, he thought, had probably numbed him to the rest of the danger, when he realized how close that shot had come to killing him too. And after that ... But riflemen knew he had been there, with them, when they went into Pombal - and he was still the redcoat Lieutenant who had Cotton flogged and who got covered in horseshit. He probably always would be.

"But it will be different in a battle. You have to command the men too. It was easier, being on my own. Even if I was with riflemen." That barely made sense. But that was what officers were for - not to fight, but to make sure that the men fought, obeyed orders and kept steady.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 am

"Just try to keep your head and keep track of where you are in relation to the main forces. Well, that's pretty much it with skirmishing. And remind them to shoot the officers first... "

It probably was different in a line company. "But once you have started volley fire, you just keep it up. The Sergeants close the files... "

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am

Brandon was a bit puzzled about Hunter's behaviour. He started to see what might have let to the General's suspicions, though he couldn't make much of it yet. And in some way he didn't want to prove the General right, though he didn't quite know why. So he decided not to let any of this show in his attitude towards the Capatain.
"Well, then I suggest you get a good night's rest, Captain" he said lightly. But as he wanted Hunter to trust him he added in a more serious tone "but if this suspicion of yours manifests in any way, don't hesitate to let me know. You never know where the enemy has its eyes."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am

"And we stand there, and wait for their skirmishers to target us - or the ensigns with the Colours." Well, he had had his first taste of enemy activity, even if it had been - as the old hands said - a piece of cake. We coldn't manage without the Sergeants, I know."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:58 am

Something did not ring true about the Colonel's voice and words: any other man would have reprimanded him for being fanciful. George looked the man straight in the eyes, his expression puzzled.
'Enemy, sir? But why would... why would anyone watch me?'

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:00 am

"And we try to keep the skirmishers away. Riflemen and redcoats will work well together, I think."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am

Brandon was struck by the open look Hunter gave him.
"How can I possibly know, Captain..." and it was true: what did he know about Hunter that might require observation?
So he decided to get on neutral ground again and get to know Hunter better. "Though you're probably right, it certainly is nothing more than vivid imagination and lack of sleep. So better get you distracted from it then." he added with a genuine smile.

Last edited by Colonel Brandon on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 am

The Colonel sounded genuinely honest when he admitted his ignorance, but George was not about to let his guard down. Well, it seemed that proving the identity of his spy, or at least the man who set the spy on him would require further investigation, though George was almost sure it was Wellesley: no one else had a reason to watch him and the General obviously did not trust him.

'Yes, a distraction and something to tire me out should do the trick, sir' said George musingly, as if thinking how he could possibly distract himself. He grinned at Brandon, again giving the man an open look: 'And if the feeling doesn't go away I shall see a doctor and Major Hogan, after all, as I understand it is his speciality.' George kept grinning as he said it, inviting Brandon to share the joke. A very daring joke on his part.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Brandon had to try really hard not to show any reaction to the mention of Hogan. Did Hunter suspect anything? He seemed to be quite clever, so it could well be. But then, didn't the General say he sent Hogan to enquire about von Dorn?

He chuckled "You do that, Captain. But try the distraction idea first before you stirr so much commotion" he paused to look around "What else needs to be done down here?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 pm

'I certainly will, sir, I certainly will. Perhaps a long hard ride will do me good, besides my horse is certain to be in need of an exercise, she does tend to get restless when cooped up in a stable' answered George smiling. There was definitely something in the Colonel's face at his words, a smallest, barely there flicker of almost worry. He'll find himself and his 'shadow' a distraction for sure. The crack in Brandon's armour practically convinced him that the spy was Hogan's and therefore Sir Artur's. Oh, he'll give them something to talk about.

'Nothing, sir. The event has almost ended, I was about to leave myself to attend to some matters requiring my attention.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Lt. Jaeger wrote:"And we try to keep the skirmishers away. Riflemen and redcoats will work well together, I think."

Waldegrave's mouth twitched up in a smile. "I'm sure your men will do splendidly. And we will try to be there if you need us, though we are much slower."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Brandon just nodded at Hunter's suggestion of a wearying ride. That could well do the trick.
"Very well, I have to see to some things myself, so I better go back to the city." And after some thought added what was meant to be just a friendly advise:
"It really has been a successful day, so do go and report to Sir Arthur when you're done here ore elsewhere." now he smiled at him "and you can join me for dinner there, if you like."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:10 pm

George blinked in surprise: dinner?

'Thank you, sir, it would be most pleasant. If you will excuse me now, sir.' George saluted and turned to leave. A frown creased his face: maybe he was a little rash in accepting the dinner invitation. Did the man want to question him in seemingly innocent circumstances? Oh, well, if he did, so be it, George did not mind that, for it would mean he could question the Colonel too, albeit less obviously.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Brandon walked back to the city, deep in thought. This brief conversation with Hunter had not helped to form a clear picture about the man at all, it had left him even more confused. He just hoped that his reactions to Hunter's mentioning of feeling being observed had not kidled or worse, confirmed the man's obvious suspicions too much. He himself couldn't say for sure if Wellesley had him watched, though he did not put it past the General to do just that.
Had his invitation for dinner been too straightforward and what might Hunter take it to be? And what exactly did he hope to gain out of it? Well, for starters he truely did want to get to know the Captain better, as he had to work with him. And Brandon never liked to be in the dark about the people he had to rely on, as it only added to his own sporadic insecurity.
Besides, having dinner with a fellow officer wasn't something out of the ordinary. And if it helped to get a better picture of the man and maybe even distroy the suspicions Wellesley seemed to have about him, the better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:56 am

Edrington walked back through the diminishing crowd. He saw Brandon and Hunter, and wondered again about the strange young man and his determination to buy Bella. He was still turning the thought over when he saw Waldegrave, talking, apparently quite amicably, with the young Rifles Lieutenant Jaeger. He had given Sharpe the message, but not passed it on either to the 60th or his own battalion.

He turned towards them. Waldegrave saw him coming and saluted, almost shame-faced.

"Gentlemen," he said. "I have a job for you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:01 am

Suddenly the other officer snapped to attention. Lt. Jaeger turned around and and did the same. Colonel Edrington was approaching them, and he desperately wanted to keep up the positve impression the rifles had made that afternoon.

"Sir!"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:11 am

"Excellent. I am sorry to interrupt your conversation, but - there will be a Grand Review tomorrow morning. Orders have not yet been issued as the the detail, but such preparations as can be made should be. Could you go to Major Vereker," Edrington nodded to Waldegrave, "and you, Mr Jaeger, to Captain Vickery. They both know the drill, and will get things under way. Offer them every assistance, and so on." He smiled at the Rifleman. "It will be an extra chore, after your men had worked so hard today, but we half expected it. We will probably get marching orders at the same time, tell them - although that should not be until Thursday morning at the earliest."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:21 am

A Grand Review. Dear Lord. Horrified Jaeger thought of the state of his and his men's uniforms.

"Yes, sir. I will pass word immediatly. Thank you, sir."

He would have to find Captain Vickery and the sergeants and get the training field cleared and... Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 7 Smiley_emoticons_vollpanik

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 am

"A moment. Tell Captain Vickery that I will not be down on him for every frayed button hole - nor will the General. But I do not need to tell him to do the best with what he has. I know that the weapons will be as clean as if new." He grinned. "I do hope it won't put too much of a damper on your enjoyment of today. Off you go, both of you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next