Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Training Day - the Girandoni

+2
Gabriel Cotton
Ben Perkins
6 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Training Day - the Girandoni - Page 8 Empty Re: Training Day - the Girandoni

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 am

Brandon was listening to Wellesley tell him about that banker, von Dorn. He did not miss the slight tone of suspicion in the General's voice.

"Von Dorn..." he said more to himself then to Wellesley. He had heard that name before, but not quite sure where.

"I'm sure Hogan has something to tell you about the man on his return."

[ooc: is it possible that Brandon heard the name mentioned this morning, when he came to see Sir Arthur? If not, I edit it.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:57 am

[OOC: It's possible that he heard Hunter mention it.]

"I should hope so," the General grunted. "It's what I keep him for."

He nodded in acknowledgement as a group of passing soldiers came to attention and saluted.

"Strangely enough it was Hunter that he approached. It may have been coincidence, but I am not so sure."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 am

Brandon chuckled at Sir Arthur's remark why he kept Hogan.
When Wellesley mentioned Hunter he thought briefly about the man. He certainly was... a bit unusual, so much was certain, but otherwise he was just an ADC as he was. Though he barely knew the man.

"Hm, maybe he just happened to be around, Sir? It was still quite early... What makes you think it could be otherwise?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 am

"I'm not entirely sure."

Maybe he was being too hard on Hunter? They had not got off to an auspicious start - neither had he with Edrington - which in some way might account for his odd behaviour.

"Someone I got the feeling that he was not telling me everything he knew about von Dorn. There was the sense; something in his voice and demeanour, as if he was not being entirely truthful."

Wellesley cleared his throat, suddenly self-conscious.

"Strange as that may sound. I cannot be certain. WHat do you make of him?"
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 am

Brandon nodded at Wellesley's words. Sometimes you couldn't put your finger to it why you had a suspicion about someone.

"Well, I don't know much about him yet. Though he seems to be a decent enough man to me. He is a bit too unsteady maybe, quite restless even. But then, this seems to fit into the picture too, as he told me he had seen quite some parts of the continent already."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am

"Oh?" Wellesley raised his eyebrows, interested. "Do you know which parts? I understand he has Polish blood..."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:39 am

"He lived in Poland for a while as a child, I take it, but I'm not certain of him having Polish blood" he contemplated for a moment then continued "As for the rest I only know he travelled the Crimea and the Ukraine, and spent some time in Spain."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:58 am

No wonder Hunter was guarded in his mention of the Eastern side of Europe. There were not many British young men that had strayed that far over.

"I suppose that's where he got his odd sabre from," the General murmured as they turned into the main street which led up to the monastry. "It might also explain something of his restlessness..."

--------
On leaving the paddock, had Brandon not caught his eye immediately Wellesley might have noticed Vickery hovering around the group of officers; yet in a sea of green and red he had passed unnoticed.

Captain Sanders, seeing his chief depart and having satisfied his own curiosity, inclined his head to Edrington and the Rifles officers.

"And I must be going as well. Thank you, gentlemen, for a most instructive afternoon."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 am

Wellesley had had other matters in mind, which was completely understandable, being the Commander-in-Chief. The man with him, who Vickery thought vaguely was called Sanderson or something like that, had had a go with the Colonel's rifle as well, and as he turned to follow Wellesley, he saw Vickery approach.

"Thank you, gentlemen, for a most instructive afternoon," he said, inclining his head politely.

Vickery nodded back. "Our pleasure, Captain," he replied. "Thank you for coming to watch."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:16 am

Sanders smiled.

"As I said, most instructive. I congratulate you and Lieutenant Sharpe. Good day, gentlemen."

And his smile broadening, Sanders turned and followed his colleagues and master back towards the city.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:17 am

Edrington acknowledged Sanders' farewell as he left to follow his chief, and smiled at Vickery, to encourage him to approach, if he so wished.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 am

The sabre was indeed odd. But still not something to raise his suspicions truely.
He raised an eyebrow at the General's last words "Oh, does it?"

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 am

Vickery crossed the few short yards between himself and Colonel Edrington. He was smiling as he held out his hand.

"I think, sir, that it was a complete success, at least as far as educating the Line troops goes. Thank you for the opportunity to show off a bit - my men have thoroughly enjoyed themselves."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 am

"I have too," said Edrington, taking Vickery's hand. "I don't know if we'll have redcoat and greenjacket pledging undying loyalties - but at least we know a good deal more about what you are doing, and why we are better off for having you in front of us. Which will help when we come to battle." He threw a glance after Wellesley. "I don't think we will have long to wait, either. The General has promised to issue orders soon - and I suspect they will be marching orders."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 am

"The redcoats certainly seemed interested enough, sir. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them put in requests to be transferred to the Rifles. Though I don't think they were all as convinced of our usefulness as either of us might like. Those watching the shooting competition were certainly impressed with our accuracy, though."

He followed Edrington's glance and grinned, shaking his head a little. "We'll get our chance to show our skills to the French soon, then," he said. It had been a good respite and an interesting diversion, but it seemed the senior Army officers wanted to get on with the war - and wearing out their men's shoe-leather.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 am

Wellesley directed a cool gaze and a wry smile at Brandon.

"And you think it doesn't? Well, you're probably right; but I'm still not happy. Before I suspected he was a plant by the Marquess' enemies in government; now I do not know what to think. It is a nuisance, and one that I could do without."

But hopefully by this evening he would discover just how big a nuisance h was dealing with.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 am

Edrington smiled at Vickery's comment. "I am sure you will be as competent, and the men - we will see. Have you had any trouble? I am not asking for names or official reports, but if there is anything I can do to scotch trouble before it becomes a major problem..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 am

Brandon did not flinch under Wellesley's cool gaze as he was quite used to it by now. But he knew that others, who were not so familiar with it, could get quite uncomfortable when being the victim - or worse, the cause! - of it.

"I don't know enough of the man yet as to come to any conclusions about him, Sir. Better wait and see what Hogan finds out then."

Thus he walked silently beside the General, not knowing if the subject might be best laid to rest for now.

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am

Vickery shook his head. "No, sir. It was just an impression, nothing more. Mostly comments about tactics, I believe, which is perfectly understandable, what with all the running, kneeling and making use of cover. They all seemed to be very impressed with our efficiency, however. And I heard several amazed-sounding gasps from various men when watching the shooting competition, from which I gathered none of them had seen anything that accurate before."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am

"Hm." The General folded his hands behind his back as they continued along. Though young he valued Brandon's advice, as reason and little else tended to come out of his mouth. "We'll see."
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 am

"If they think about it, they may connect the tactics - the shooting positions in particular - with the accuracy. The crosslegged position I noted, and the prone position, that Cotton used with the Girandoni..." Edrington was pleased at least to hear that the accuracy had been remarked on. It was not much stressed with musket drill - except that they were encouraged to discharge their weapons in the direction of the enemy, carefully aiming would disrupt the rhythm of fire, which was of greater importance.

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 am

"Several of them seem to be eager to try firing a rifle for themselves, sir, so we may find out. And Riflemen are taught different positions as a matter of course, which takes a little time to get used to at first, especially for those used to men standing in nice tight ranks, all doing the same thing at the same time."

He smiled. "I don't suppose you would be interested in learning to fire one of our rifles, sir? I noticed Cotton showing quite an interest in your Girandoni. How did he find it?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Edrington grinned. "I would be like to try one: butl not in public. I am sure that you will understand. Even musket drill I am rather rusty at, though I did do it when I was an Ensign. As for the Girandoni, Cotton said he preferred the Baker for accuracy - the loss of power with each shot is apparently noticeable enough to cause him concern. Especially if it is not reliable enough for the rifleman to make the necessary adjustments to compensate for the loss of power. But until they solve the problem of reliability - Cotton will stick with powder, and a rifle he can put more trust in."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm

"I am sure that we can find somewhere for you to try a Baker in private." He grinned at Edrington's report of Cotton's assessment. "That sounds like Cotton - willing to give something a try but preferring to stick with what's been tried and tested and proven to work. Though he will have given it fair consideration before making his mind up."

(OOC - I'm for bed. See you tomorrow.)
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 pm

"I think he was glad to have the chance to fire the air rifle. I was definitely interested in what he had to say about it. And your young Mr Jaeger, as well. It might not yet be the future of warfare, but I think our men would adapt to it once it was tested and reliable."

[OOC: Goodnight. Until tomorrow.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next