Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Leaving Lisbon

+6
Thomas Crozier
sans nom
George Thompson
Mathew De Guarde
Billy Barrow
Edward Leat
10 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Leaving Lisbon - Page 3 Empty Re: Leaving Lisbon

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:53 am

Raoul responded to the look from Dr Maturin. "If that would be acceptable. I should not like him to leave without saying goodbye - if it is possible, and if you are not too busy..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 am

"Oh no, sir; I'm sure the doctor will be able to spare you a few minutes," Leat said, smiling at des Sablières. Well, any Frenchman who was with the Dr. Maturin must be a half-decent fellow... "Would you like to come now?"

[We're sailing tomorrow's evening tide. There was a little confusion as to when the note was left.]
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; 2nd Lieutenant
Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:00 am

Raoul glanced at Dr Maturin and smiled. "I would - you were being refitted I understand." After defeating a French frigate - but that would be better not spoken of, at present. "Are you still in the dock?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:09 am

"Out in the harbour, sir," Leat said, beginninng to walk again and lead the way. "We'll catch a lift in one of the boats - they'll be to-ing and fro-ing like nobody's business at the moment. You'll be happy to see the doctor's plants, sir," he said to Stephen. "Keen on his botanicals is Dr. Crozier. He managed to persuade Captain Bolitho to give up one of his quarter galleries for a box of lettuces! Said they weren't getting enough light below decks..."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:13 am

"Splendid!" said Stephen, genuinely pleased. "A very sound idea, and lettuces are the most virtuous of esculents; I am delighted that I shall be able to pass on my compliments in person."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:16 am

"Did he not tell you he planned to do so, sir? I would have thought he'd mention it to you, seeing as you are both scientific gentlemen."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:19 am

"I am afraid to say that I have never met him - he is Captain des Sablières' acquaintance."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am

"Oh."

Again Leat looked at des Sablières with open curiosity. This certainly must be a decent Frenchman, seeming as both doctors thought him to be company worth keeping. Though the lieuteanant did find it hard to believe that two scientific gentlemen of the nautical persuasion staying in the same city would not know each other.

"But I am sure he will be glad to see you both, sir," Leat persevered, hoping to reassure the doctor. "I heard him speak of your book only a week or so ago - very generous with his praise. And he's a good doctor; sewed my head back up again very neatly. Not anything like as spectacular as your rousing out Joe Plaice's brains, sir; but he's good with the men, and learned."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 am

"I had an accident and he treated an injury I incurred," Raoul said in explanation, as the lieutenant gave him a guarded look. "I found him a very pleasant gentleman, and we met for dinner." He smiled. "He did mention his botanical ideas, but I was at a stand - not being a scientific gentleman."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 am

"That was very kind of him," said Stephen, a little pink about the ears. "I have heard nothing but praise for him, to be sure. You were injured, Lieutenant? I regret to hear it."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:40 am

"Just a scratch, sir," Leat shrugged. "We had a run-in on the way here, as you'll know, and I got knocked about a little. Nothing at all really, considering. We lost one of our young gentlemen."

He shook his head sadly.

"Was a great shame. A promising young lad named Dunnock; you would have liked him, sir. He would have made a good officer. Were you injured badly, sir?"

This last question was directed at Raoul.

[OOC: And I'm for bed; though I'll be around most of tomorrow and Tuesday, if anyone else is. Goodnight to you all!"
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:43 am

[OOC: Goodnight. I'll be around, anyway]

"A cut, but the better for the stitches Dr Crozier put in it." Raoul smiled "He mentioned your taking the prize, though. I - " He raised a hand, unable to offer the usual congratulations.

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:14 am

Leat took a second to realise what was wrong, then blushed slightly again as he took des Sablières' hand.

"Very kind of you, sir; but I shall mention it no more. It is not polite to talk shop so."

They walked a few more paces.

"Have you gentlemen been long in Lisbon?"
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:17 am

"I am sorry for the loss of your young gentleman, Lieutenant," Stephen said in a suitably solemn tone before his face took on a more friendly aspect again. "I myself have been in the city some three weeks now, and am no closer to finding my bearings. When did the Terpsichore come in?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am

"About that time, sir. We've been sitting about waiting for repairs and news of our prize since."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:56 am

"I must give you joy of your prize, Lieutenant," Stephen said with an apologetic glance at des Sablières as they arrived at the docks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 am

Raoul smiled back at Stephen. It was, after all, only the Navy, and one ship at that. "What have you done with the French ship?" he asked curiously. "Will it be put to use in the British Navy? I believe some ships change hands several times - of course, some seaman and soldiers do too."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 am

"Oh, the Service has snapped her up, sir; they'd be mad not to, a nice little thing like that, and French-built! She's abetter shape than ours," Leat explained at des Sablières's blank look. "Your countrymen build better ships than us, but you'll pardon me when I say that we sail 'em better. Half the best ships in the Royal Navy came from French dockyards."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am

"To spend so much money building ships, that will then be used against us!" Raoul shook his head, but thought of Delaporte and his lieutenants. Were they not as good as their English counterparts. He did not know the British Navy as well as its Army, having lived in land... "It would make sense to spend less on the ships, and more on training men - what is it that makes the English seaman better? Perhaps I can recommend it when I get back." He threw a quick smile at Dr Maturin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:24 am

Leat knew the answer quite well, as any naval officer worth his salt did. Apart from a faster rate of fire, better standard of training, sheer guts and an iron determination, the French had condemned their own navy in the Revolution. With the Terror and the farce that was the Republic they had lost near all the experienced and competant officers at the top, replacing them with bureaucrats and political appointments. It was also well known Bonaparte, with the simplicity of a soldier, denied the navy the necessary funds and attention that was needed for it to be any near effective.

"I meant no slur on your countrymen, sir," Leat said instead. "I believe my mouth ran ahead of me; a man always thinks far more highly of his own Service than any other - whether or not it is of his own nation. I hope you'll forgive me."
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 am

"We do have some very competent sea officers," Raoul said, then added with honesty, "Or so we are told. And that since you lost Admiral Nelson, there is no one to take his place. But I am in the cavalry - what do I know about ships and naval matters? Except that you say you keep taking our ships, and I must believe you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:55 am

"We have lost a few in return," Leat said, hoping to seem generous.
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 am

Stephen flashed a smile at his two companions. He pointed to a ship in the harbour. "Is that the Terpsichore? She has been quite knocked about, upon my word. Will you really be able to sail tomorrow evening?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Leat Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 am

"No, sir, that's the Venus! We aren't anything near so grand. Terpsy's away to her left. No, next one along... The one with her stern facing us."

[*snigger*]
Edward Leat
Edward Leat
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:46 am

"Ah, of course, I see her now," said Stephen, somewhat peevishly as he sought in vain for a ship with its stern facing them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next