Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
4th October: Visiting the Lord EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

4th October: Visiting the Lord

4 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

4th October: Visiting the Lord Empty 4th October: Visiting the Lord

Post  Timothy Willoughby Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:54 am

Willoughby had changed and freshened up. He donned for once a rather nicely tailored civilian coat of a deep dark blue hue with still some inspiration resting in the style of a hussar. A cravat was tied neatly in one of the many styles made modern in the recent times. His waistcoat was of a slightly lighter colour and had elegant embroidery in the colour of gold, just the amount that seemed flattering, while silk at the back wrinkled slightly under the knot that held it a little tauter. He opted to ride and so the boots extended quite to the knee, but made the whole appearance only more handsome. He had had the articles of dress prepared to be brought to Torrington's house, should he have little time to return home to change again.

While Herrero was left at home, he debated on taking Bella or Fairplay or one of the others that completed his London collection. One of the big black ones looked regal enough. He realised that he might really have spent a fair amount of his finances on horses. He enjoyed the beauty of these animals, of which his room that was laden with such paintings, clearly spoke. He also liked the different temperaments of individual animals as well as traits of their breeds. The horses he had he had either purchased, traded or received. A few stable stalls however contained the animals that were not his own. Since his accommodations for these animals were somewhat bigger than some of the fellows he knew, their own animals were staying there, for the duration of their time in London.

He finally decided on Bella. She was well rested and she was quite swift on her feet. With the last instructions given to the servants, he rode from the Parham estate, his sabretache containing some papers and a notebook of his own.

He arrived at Torrington's home not long after, having avoided several points, where the curious and the gossipy sought to learn of all the whereabouts of the participants. He knew he could not escape all, so the remaining ride continued simply with the general grace of his mount, while he tried at best to ignore most other things.

He slid from the saddle of his horse. He took her with him a few more steps, then leaving her to stand, knocked on the door.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

4th October: Visiting the Lord Empty Re: 4th October: Visiting the Lord

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 am

After a short moment, Torrington's elderly butler opened. He seemed to reckognize Willoughby even before the hussar could hand him his card and stepped aside.

"Good morning, your Lordship. You are already expected. Might I take your coat and hat?"

A quick peek outside assured him that a stableboy had come running and was taking care of the valuable horse.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 am

Willoughby appeared quite hesitant at parting from Bella, but after a rather thorough staredown of the stableboy he seemed convinced that he was safe for her and that he was of the house of Torrington and not just a lad that had secretly weaseled his way in.

He nodded lightly, and shrugged off his coat and handed it over. "Thank you." He said politely, a smile playing at his lips. He appeared more relaxed and in better spirits too. "I hope Lord Torrington has not been waiting long?" He made it sound as much a question as a statement while he waited to be lead to the aforementioned gentleman. His sabresatche has been applied to his belt and thus hung loosely and lowly as he walked. It was a little..interesting to say the least, but it still fit with the whole attire nicely.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 am

"His lordship is in the breakfast parlour - if you would follow me, Mylord - reading the news sheets. I believe they contain an announcement of your upcoming performance."

Wilson led Willoughby to the pleasant room they had taken their breakfast last time, and announced him.

Torrington, hidden behind the Gazette and a cup of coffee at his elbow, looked up, then tossed the paper on the table and jumped to his feet to greet Willoughby. Wilson melted into the background to bring another cup.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am

Willoughby greeted Lord Torrington with a wide smile, marred only by the expectations of what ill news his friend might have found in those newspapers. "As promised, lo and behold, I am here!" He said with a flurry of motion and a bow that was much too deep, but was made rather for the purposes of the theatrical.

He straightened and gazed at the papers that the other has read moments ago. " I hope only good things can be found in there today."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 am

Torrington sighed, pulled a face and handed Willoughby the news sheets.

"Well, that depends on your expectations ... but be of ggod cheer, the Taddler finds your coat yesterday dashing, your countenance handsome and your manner imbued with a very becoming pride."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 am

Willoughby laughed softly. "You kid me." He said incrediously but took the news sheets from Torrington and read them never the less. "Well, I must say.. it could be worse. Atleast the uniform finds appeal." He grinned rather boyishly. "It does flatter you also, though all in the things that are fact anyway." He held the paper a little longer, searching the articles for any news, which would cast less of a friendly light on their previous experience.

"And the other things... well, it was certainly bound to be expected. That it has become the talk of town might not bode too well for us... though on the other hand you might need to either learn to run quite fast, or be ready to defend yourself against the swarms of women that might stumble your way." He teased.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 am

"I will barricade my door and wear a mask in public", Torrington replied drily. "I would be careful - that fate is far more likely to befall you anyway. They managed to mention no less than three times that you are your grandfather's heir and expected to marry this season. Although they also mention that your grandfather is widowed ..."

Wilson re-entered and laid out another plate for Willoughby.

"Tea or coffee, Mylord? Or can I bring you some ale?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 am

"..Tea for me please." Willoughby answered and laughed uneasily at Torrington's words. "If what you say is true, would you be at all bothered, should I join you in the fashion of mask wearing? But should we wear a matching pair, so that we might confuse them and convince them that we are able to appear and reappear at will? Like ghosts!" He considered the mention of his grandfather's own prospects.

"They can try if they wish, but I believe.. that Susannah, my grandmother, has been trully a lady made for his heart." He shrugged and chuckled. "And I've yet to see a woman that can handle him as well as she did." And then he grinned again. "Oh but don't say they did not mention similar about you or that you have not experienced your popularity already! If this continues I would say we both will need to find ourselves a house to hide in and be safe!"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:30 am

While the tea was served, Torrington indicated a comfortable chair for Willoughby and sat down in his own again.

"Be my guest - one of those full-faced Venetian ones should do. I probably should fit out my staff with similar ones and send them out for distraction. I'm sure Rottlaender would manage to charm some lady into marriage."

He leaned over and retrieved a stack of letters, sorted through them and then handed a few to Willoughby.

"Here, even better - do you by any chance need a new horse? I have several offers here - if I just ride it at the performance. Very cheap and the best dressage horses London has ever seen, according to the descriptions. On a more sensible note, I also got a letter from a blacksmith, offering his services - very well written, actually -, a veterinary, and somebody selling miracle cures."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:47 am

"I'm surprised, Rottlaender isn't already married. But the idea you give is wonderful! I can have my household do the same and then we are as good as free from this bother!" Willoughby sat himself down and glanced through a couple of the letters he was handed. He paused especially at those that offered horses and gave description of the animals.

"Do you suppose they would mind if we bought the horse but just did not use it in the competition? Some of these convince me to at least have a look. This one particularly is quite a wonder of nature!" He held up one of the letters that was particularly generous in describing all the wonderful traits of the horse that was for sale. If the letter was to be believed, the horse itself could win the competition without any of the military riders ever stepping in the 'ring'.

"I would suggest you keep them. If any of them are actually any good, they might be useful at a later time. Horses are needy animals." He grinned and chuckled as he read another of the letters.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:18 am

"Well, I think you will have to discuss this with their current owners ... take them all with my utmost goodwill, just leave me that blacksmith's letter."

Torrington took a sip of coffee.

"I will be glad when this is done with - I would not have expected that it garners such interest. I expect your grandfather was not too pleased either?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am

"My grandfather was livid." Willoughby lifted his hands to his temples as if to ward of some headache that has just come upon him. "When he was rather silent during our way home, I mistakenly thought that he might not have heard of it." He shook his head, a heavy sigh escaping him.

"Hope you fared a little better?" He gazed at the other man inquiringly while hanging him the smith's letter. "Oh, and if you try this one out, I'd like your opinion on his services." He added as an afterthought.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 am

"Of course ..."

Torrington scribbled a reminder on the letter and folded it into his pocket book.

"Well, I have the advantage that my father has volunteered for this whole endeavour - though probably mostly to keep the peace. He had some rather sharp things to say about Alconbury and you - it seems you should at least have taken your quarrel out onto the street or a private room, not held up the dancing - but I remain blameless sofar. Mother just snorted in that delicate way she has to indicate that all males are rather inept at social graces."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:08 am

"Is there a way to appease him? I ...admit that the situation could have been solved in a less public manner, but since there is nothing more to be done to change that, I would at least like.. not to be on his blacklist." He sighed and brought his hands back to his sides.

Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 am

"Probably best don't mention the affair in his hearing and send an apology to Lady Caroline", Torrington advised.

"And of course don't cause a scandal, elope with Bella or shoot Alconbury."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:19 am

"I'll have to write those down least I forget." Willoughby said half seriously but then turned more serious. "The letter shall be sent immediately." He took a few sips from his tea cup.

"If it is in my power, no scandal shall come to be and I promise to behave with out most respect towards your sister, as she deserves only the best." He seemed to find his cup particularly interesting at those words, but then, after having another sip, added.

" As for Alconbury, I can promise you that I shall avoid him as one would the plague, and that..I shall try my out most that.this shall go no further than our competition." He straightened a little.

"I hope Lady Isabella is left in peace with this whole ordeal?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 am

"She's out with mother, as far as I know. I suppose we will hear what comes of it tonight."

He straightened a little, too.

"You realize, of course, that if you don't treat her right, my father will not be your biggest problem!"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:04 am

"Had neither of you cared for it, I still would not have wanted to mistreat her, dear friend." Willoughby answered earnestly. "I would have loathed myself to even consider." He took another sip from the cup.

"You need not fear that I might act poorly towards her." He was a little at loss for words at how best to say what he intended and in what high regard he held her. "I will only hope that if she is of want for entertainment and learning....that is, of the musical kind, I may be of some service. And even that, with your permission."

He held then a letter up for Torrington to inspect. "Here is another vet offering a miracle medicament that ought to make your horse ..perfectly obedient, fittest that he ever was and able to perform all the hardest figures at dressage"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 am

Torrington fixed his friend with a very level gaze for a moment longer to drive his point home, then dropped the subject and returned to light banter.

"I'm very happy to say that my horse already has reached that happy state ... well perhaps apart from the perfectly obedient part. But that is only when I don't pay enough attention to him, so probably a trained monkey who pets him would be cheaper, more effective and nicer to look at. Here ... a treatment to make your horse a perfect grey."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:19 pm

"It might, but then I fear that the horse would perfectly obey your trained monkey, and snub you for it!" Willoughby arched a brow and glanced at the letter. "Oh, so the spots and patches of black fall right off?...why do I have a fear that that would not be the only thing falling to the ground?" He shook his head. "Herrero would throw me off, if I suggested something of the sort to him! He seems very proud of his appearance, even if.. it is slightly..." He smiled lightly. "..out of the ordinary for this time. Oh, did I tell you? I have found a painting that actually quite resembles him." He laid the cup on the plate and leaned back in his seat a little, relaxing. His sabretache rested on the floor, proped slightly against his seat. "I've been told that wagers against and for us, are starting to pour in at White's already."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 am

"O Lord. And one of those wagers being which horses we ride? That would perhaps explain some of these letters ..."

Torrington shook his head, sighed and tossed them all aside.

"No, you didn't tell me. Where? Have you found time to view the exhibition of the Royal Academy already?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am

"Oh no, I this one is quite mine." He smiled broadly. "I've purchased it quite recently, and have a friend to thank for he had found a fine art dealer who showed me that piece. He thought I would be interested in it, since I own a horse with a similar look." He grinned then as if thinking back briefly on Freddie, he inquired. "I remember him always staying in company of another rifleman. The dark haired one? Pye? What happened with him?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:12 am

"Probably hoping that you don't eat any of the things Wilson has so kindly provided for your consumption."

Torrington smiled, an unguarded expression that was reserved for his two youthful servants and assistants.

"He has decided to stay on as ... well, I'm afraid the perfect description for his service has not yet been coined, but he is rather helpful in a general way."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

"Now you cause me to feel guilty should I take some from the plate!" Willoughby laughed softly, glad to hear that the rifleman found a home of sorts. "So..the two had not changed much? Freddie... Rottlaender is still as energetic as he was? And Pye still as hungry and obsessed with food?" He grinned, imagining poor Torrington going gray before his time thanks to the two. Though, he actually quite liked them.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next