Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June Empty Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June

Post  John Vickery Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Vickery had been a little worried that Cotton would not have enough time to get organised before his invited guests began showing up, but his fears had been unfounded. Considering that the Rifleman had only rejoined them the previous day, it was as though he'd never been away.

The furniture was rough and ready; Cotton had got out both the Captain's folding chairs and had improvised two more. There was an empty winebottle doing duty for a candlestick, and the table was set with the cutlery from Vickery's travelling canteen. He was very grateful that a fair proportion of the baggage hadn't been taken at all; the French had seemingly been more concerned with disrupting things than with actually helping themselves to any spoils of combat.

He discreetly checked his watch to find that it was ten to seven. Good; his guests would be here soon.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June Empty Re: Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June

Post  Alberto Ferrero Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:27 am

Ferrero arrived as early as possible. He always tried being on time and though he usually failed he usually felt it wasn't his fault. Today was a lucky day, and at seven o'clock Ferrero walked in.

"Good evening, Sir. I hope i'm not late."
Alberto Ferrero
Alberto Ferrero
Ordinary Seaman

Species : 1st Lieutenant, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June Empty Re: Dinner with the Rifle Officers, 10th June

Post  John Vickery Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:13 am

Vickery smiled. "No, Lieutenant, you're not late at all." He indicated one of the places at the makeshift table. "How are you finding things so far?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto Ferrero Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:52 am

Ferrero sat down. The makeshift arrangement for the dinner was quite good, considering the situation.

"Well, Sir, i must say the first days have been....full" he said after a few moments "The riflemen seem to be good soldiers, as far as i can tell. I still have some problems with the germans. They tend to be...well, germans. I don't know if i can explain myself."
Alberto Ferrero
Alberto Ferrero
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 am

Were it not for his nervous new batman, Blackwood estimated he would have been closer to appropriately punctual than he ended up being. Arriving precisely two minutes after the appointed hour, according to his watch, smacked of ingratitude to him. But still he knew better than to proceed at anything faster than a walk. To do otherwise was unseemly.

There were two greenjackets present when he arrived. One was, of course, Captain Vickery. The other must be one of his lieutenants. Blackwood smiled in greeting, relieved that it did not seem that he had missed too much.

"Good evening, Captain, Lieutenant," he said. "My apologies for being tardy."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Species : Captain; 1/2nd (Coldstream) Guards
Number of posts : 378

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/ben-bl

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Well, of course the German men were German. He would have to dig a little deeper to find out what the exact issue was - if indeed there was an issue. It would have to wait however; Captain Blackwood was approaching.

He stood up to welcome the Guards Captain. "Captain Blackwood, may I introduce Lieutenant Ferrero? Lieutenant, this is Captain Blackwood of the Second Foot Guards."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:40 am

*he hurried towards the captains tent, cursing his batman for not having his uniform properly brushed and ready for him....so what if he had ordered the man out of his tent so he could sleep off the worse of his hangover, the man should have known better then to listen.
He paused outside the tent to catch his breath, as he did so he took the time to look himself over making sure his still unfaded tightly fitted uniform was near immaculate before stepping inside. he removed his shako and tucked it under his arm before speaking.*

"Dreadfully sorry for being late sir, I had last minute troubles with my uniform."
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Species : 2nd Lieutenant; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:48 am

He noted the manner in which the subaltern's name was pronounced and guessed it was the proper way to do so.

"Mister Ferrero," Blackwood greeted with a nod, offering his hand to Vickery first, and then to the lieutenant. This was a comparatively informal circumstance and he was perfectly willing to dispose with such courtesies as salutes.

And here came a second junior officer, this one most likely also a lieutenant. Blackwood nearly smiled upon hearing the poor fellow's opening excuse for his tardiness. It was much the same as his own, perhaps.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:02 am

And here was Lieutenant Campbell... running late. Vickery hoped that was not a sign of things to come.

"And this is Lieutenant Campbell," he added, and indicated the makeshift table. "Gentlemen, if you would make yourselves comfortable. May I offer you some wine? TI am assured that our food will be along shortly."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:06 am

*he looked to the red coated captain, blinking as he saw the colour of the jackets facings.*
"I say sir, your with the Guards are you not? I am Second Lieutenant James Campbell at your service sir."

*he looked to the table for a moment his eyes lighting up at the mention of wine, though he quickly hid it, based on his captains breeding he trusted the man must at least have a decent pallet for good wine.*
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto Ferrero Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

At the entrance of the other officers, Alberto stood up and greeted the Captain and then the Lieutenant. He tried not to be too friendly with the Guards officer, after all he was a Captain, probably not too inclined to be informal.

He was also secretly happy about the fact that luckily for him, he wasn't the last person arrived.
Alberto Ferrero
Alberto Ferrero
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:47 pm

"Mister Campbell," Blackwood greeted, offering his hand. "I am, indeed. Of the Light Company, to be precise."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:43 am

He shook each offered hand his grip firm. He then looked back to red coated captain and smiled.

"A very fine regiment indeed sir, it is an honor and a pleasure to serve alongside such a historic regiment. Nothing quite like us light infantry first on the field and last off and all that."
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Vickery smiled. "Indeed. Although I do not suppose that we have any chance of recruiting you into the Rifles, Captain?"

John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 am

There was something in the young lieutenant's tone, never mind his words, that made Blackwood passingly curious about the lad's regimental loyalties. To mention anything of the sort, even in question, would be impolitic, however.

Instead, he permitted himself a smile. "The honour and pleasure are mutual, Lieutenant. And no, sir. I rather think you would find me quite a poor recruit."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

"Dinner's served," Cotton said, though there was hardly any need for the announcement. He brought two steaming plates of stew over and laid them down,one in front of Captain Blackwood and one in front of Mister Ferrero, before going back for the others.

He wished Newbury was here to help out; he would appreciate the other man's experience of being a footman. No... on the other hand, Newbury would probably just show him up because he had next to no experience of doing this for anyone other than the captain himself.

He laid the other two plates down in front of the Captain and Mister Campbell, and stepped back.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:19 am

he moved to take a seat at the table, making sure to avoid sitting at either end of the table. standing before the table and not sitting before either captain does. When they do so he sits as well, waiting for the wine to be served and the various toasts/graces made, eyeing the stew and licking his lips slightly.
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 am

Vickery quirked an eyebrow at Campbell; the Lieutenant looked very keen to dig in to his food.

"Well, eat up," he said genially. "I am afraid it's no more than ration beef, however." Though the first mouthful proved him wrong; there was definitely rabbit in it as well. He could trust his batman to make things go further if necessary, it seemed.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am

The stew smelled delicious. Blackwood nodded his thanks at the batman serving out the plates as he took a seat. Of the two subalterns, it seemed as though Campbell was the more eager to tuck in.

"Ration beef or not," he observed after taking a sample taste, "it is well prepared."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am

He took a spoonful of the stew and nodded in agreement with Blackwood, though his eyes continued to search for wine.

"Yes, very tasty, did you make this your self Cotton? if so I would be much obliged if you gave the recipe to my batman...I swear the man could burn water."
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

Cotton had gone pink under his tan at Captain Blackwood's compliment, and was covered in confusion at Mister Campbell's question. He was fairly sure folks weren't supposed to notice the servants waiting on them... but what did he know, really?

"Yes, sir," he replied, answering both questions and the implied order all at once. He noticed the Lieutenant looking around and hastily stepped forward to top up his glass before stepping back again.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:24 pm

While his intent had not been to embarrass the Rifleman, Blackwood meant his praise honestly. One could have the finest ingredients in the world but it was all useless if the fellow preparing the meal could not cook. This was happily not the case here.

"I daresay you might not do so well giving any receipts to your man, Mister Campbell, if he can indeed burn water," Blackwood remarked placidly.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 pm

"It must take a prodigious talent to burn water," Vickery said, with a smile. "I have known a kettle boil dry before, but I have never yet come across anyone who could actually burn water."

He had another mouthful of stew. "I understand that cooking is mostly timing and knowing how long the various ingredients take to cook... although I am no great hand at cooking, myself. I think I could manage to boil an egg - should anybody wish to eat one that is as hard as brass, that is."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  James Campbell Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:40 pm

He chuckled and looked to the captain as he reached for his glass of wine and took a sip.

"You might be right sir, perhaps its best if he sticks to burning what he knows? He might not know how to cook but he more then makes up for it with his treatment of uniforms, I believe he was formally a tailor."

He looked to Vickery and grinned as he took another sip of wine.

"we will have to keep that in mind sir, should we ever run out of bullets."
James Campbell
James Campbell
Ordinary Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm

"If we get to the point where we are throwing even stones at the French, then we will be in serious trouble," Vickery replied, smiling. "If your man can get a uniform to look even half smart after six months of campaigning, he will be among the ranks of the miracle-workers."

A former tailor... he wondered that Sergeant Müller hadn't taken the man to help look after the stores and to help recut and re-sew the men's jackets when there was a new issue. Not, of course, that his men would be issued new jackets for a while yet. It was likely that the man had just kept quiet about his former trade, preferring to do some real fighting rather than getting stuck with the Stores.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next