Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
From the book of Drill EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
From the book of Drill EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
From the book of Drill EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
From the book of Drill EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
From the book of Drill EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
From the book of Drill EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
From the book of Drill EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
From the book of Drill EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
From the book of Drill EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
From the book of Drill EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

From the book of Drill

3 posters

Go down

From the book of Drill Empty From the book of Drill

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 am

When recruits are more advanced, they should not be touched.
So, untill this is so, Burke has a lot of touching to do, so says the Drill book.

Summing up the read (this quote has now been claimed!): An officer must be confident in giving orders, or else the soldier won't be confident in executing them.

On the word Attention, the hands are to fall smartly down the outside of the thighs..
And here I was of course imagining what would happen if they fell on the inside.....it would look remarkably like the soldier needing to pee.

Eyes to the Front - the look and head are to be directly to the front, the habitual position of a soldier.
It could be nothing but a habit of a soldier to look to the front. Preferably blaming the stock. Smile

The greatest precision must be observed in these facings, for if they are not exactly executed, a body of men, after being properly dressed, will lose their dressing.
And like a salad, that would taste bad.

The ham must be stretched, but without the stiffening the knee.
Ham?.. I have a distinct feeling this is not food we are talking about...but it makes for a picture Very Happy

As all marching (the side step excepted) invariably begins with the left foot..
I knew it. The lefties wrote this! :p

That is it for now.. Because I need to iron fabric now!
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

From the book of Drill Empty Re: From the book of Drill

Post  Keiju Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:32 am

Zachary Pye wrote:
On the word Attention, the hands are to fall smartly down the outside of the thighs..
And here I was of course imagining what would happen if they fell on the inside.....it would look remarkably like the soldier needing to pee.

This is specified in order to prevent soldiers from dropping their hands to the more front or more back of the leg. The seam of the trousers is the most reliable way to remember it.

Zachary Pye wrote:
Eyes to the Front - the look and head are to be directly to the front, the habitual position of a soldier.
It could be nothing but a habit of a soldier to look to the front. Preferably blaming the stock. Smile

I've seen folks tuck their chins in a bit, or even cant their heads back a little, when standing at attention. Head up, chin out, shoulders back.

Zachary Pye wrote:
The greatest precision must be observed in these facings, for if they are not exactly executed, a body of men, after being properly dressed, will lose their dressing.
And like a salad, that would taste bad.

Dress right, dress! Admittedly my own unit has a deplorable sense of right-dress.

Zachary Pye wrote:
The ham must be stretched, but without the stiffening the knee.
Ham?.. I have a distinct feeling this is not food we are talking about...but it makes for a picture Very Happy

The hamstring, I think. Most important thing to remember when on parade (or when at Attention for any length of time) is stand upright but to avoid locking your knees.

Zachary Pye wrote:
As all marching (the side step excepted) invariably begins with the left foot..
I knew it. The lefties wrote this! :p

I was told the reason for this, but it was a long time ago and I've since forgotten. Anyway, in my world (ha) it's not wholly true. Right-side movements - column right, right flank, &c - are called off the right foot. But in general the step is called off the left.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 am

All changes of direction on the march are called on the left foot. There may be a check step involved to get the movement on the right foot, but it's called on the left.

I'll take you both through some drill in August. Before Detling, if we have time, but certainly in the first bit of free time on the first day at Detling. And in a squad, follow the person in front or to your right.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:48 am

Flying example: changing direction from straight forward to ninety degrees to the right. "Column right, march!" is called off the right, to keep everybody in step. The movement is made one half-step after the command of execution, so the command would be given on the right and the pivot made on the left, with the step-off being the right foot.

Hurray. Period D&C. Very Happy If nothing else, 'right-dress' is more ingrained in my reflex than marching.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:55 am

The abovementioned comments Very Happy are mostly written in jest (similar to the joke that ran around about the order.. stick the knife in the scabbard, which... in a different language meant a very private part of a female... and that attested to many snickers, laughs and winces Wink. Then there were of course orders of cover and uncover yourself, which in jest painted a picture of soldiers lying in bed... and there alas...

Yes. We've had too much time on our hands reading military commands (which the book I know happily own.. because the library needed to get rid of some of them!).

Whooo about going through basic training! Very Happy... I wish this booklet had pictures too!

Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down