Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment

3 posters

Go down

The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment Empty The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment

Post  Guest Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Kyle was walking around the camp, trying to think how to introduce himself to the soldiers of his new company. His commanding officers didn't bother with gathering up the troops to introduce Kyle to them, they just sent him away leaving him to introduce himself. True Kyle was used to that kind of rushed out kind of attitude, but it was a good thing. It meant that the Generals were actually making real battle plans, and not just throwing ideas out their butts when they were engaged in combat, or rather their troops.

As Kyle walked along the tents, he noticed that each man was outside doing their job, or just by a fire. That was good, it meant less work for him to gather his company. Within minutes Kyle was standing, formally dressed in his officer uniform, a shoulder cape covering his right side. Kyle stood at a open field. Kyle was followed by one of his colour sergeant, and when Kyle came to a stop, he stopped. "Conrad, could you gather together the 1st company, or really send word please, and thank you." Kyle ordered in a kind tone. The colour gave a quick salute before marching off to go get the word out.

Once Kyle was alone he took off his cap, and tussled his blond hair. Then he looked down at the ground and then to the sky. He couldn't believe he was still alive to see this moment. He was truly lucky, just like his father.

Back to top Go down

The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment Empty Re: The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment

Post  Ben Blackwood Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm

The 95th were bivouacked near the head of the long column, as befitting their status. It was a positioning that Blackwood was glad for. It made finding that regiment much easier. Not that the Riflemen didn't stand out in their green jackets anyway.

He walked his horse along the edge of the road, winding his way gradually along. There was nearly an hour yet before he was expected back to the mess, and he wished to take another opportunity to observe these greenjackets before moving forward of the British lines with them the following night.

As he got closer, he spotted a Rifles officer standing just off the road, while knots of Riflemen drifted toward him. There was a parade forming. Blackwood drew rein, keeping a respectful distance, and watched the proceeding with interest.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Species : Captain; 1/2nd (Coldstream) Guards
Number of posts : 378

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/ben-bl

Back to top Go down

The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment Empty Re: The new Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiment

Post  Guest Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Kyle looked back down from the sky to see some of his troops falling in. They moved quite fast, it had only taken them a good few minutes to get the word, and head towards him. Kyle was quite surprised by this, but didn't show it. He merely put his cap back on, and then waited for more of his troops to arrive. It was quite something actually to see how many men were starting to line up. There must have been at least fifty men now loosely lined up, some using their rifles as rests. Kyle merely chuckled a bit at this. The men all had looks of boredom, and looking at Kyle with uncaring eyes. Kyle gave them all warm smiles, he didn't want to make himself look like a jerk now.

After a few minutes of waiting more than seventy of his men had lined up, all talking to each other, and sitting on the grass without so much of a care. Kyle allowed this, since he wasn't going to say or do anything until he knew everyone was here, and his officers were assembled, along with his colour sergeants. He knew his Colour's were off gathering the rest of the men. All of which were slowly coming to join with the others. Kyle couldn't believe the look of some of them. Some of them had seen battle not to long ago, and their uniforms showed it. Unlike Kyle's which was cleaned and well kept.

Kyle rested his left hand on the hilt of his blade as he waited. As he waited he noticed a scarlet red. Kyle knew by the uniform it was an officer. He was on his horse by the looks of it as well. Just watching as Kyle's company gathered together. Kyle waved the man over. He didn't want another officer waiting, and watching as he men filled in. As soon as he finished waving the officer over he noticed one of his officers come up. Kyle gave the man a nod, and it was returned with another. The officer came around and then stood to Kyle's right, at the perfect distance to. As soon as he came to a stop he clicked his boots together than gave Kyle, a proper salute. Kyle did the same, then let the man go back at ease.

Kyle then pulled out his pipe, and began to stuff it. After he had did all that he lit it and began to puff out large balls of smoke. Kyle allowed the other who had pipes to do the same. Kyle then waited for the other officer in the scarlet red to come over.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 am

He was given a wave by the greenjacket officer, which seemed to indicate that he was desired to approach. Blackwood wasn't certain of the wisdom of that but he touched his heels back lightly and his horse ambled forward.

Not too far forward, anyway. Intruding upon another officer's parade was improper. A handful of yards closer was enough in Blackwood's estimation. He was only interested in observing the parade, not in taking part in it. Bad enough he was a redcoat so close to the Rifles' bivouac.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 am

Kyle smiled as the man in the red coat came closer towards his company. Kyle could as tell this man was trying not to get into his parade, as was common law in the military. Kyle shook his head, the men weren't even in lines, or in a column just spread out everywhere talking to one another before the other troops, officers, and colours showed up. It would take at least a good few minutes before they all and everyone was ready.

Kyle shook his head then walked over towards the red coat. As Kyle moved towards the man he pushed his blade back, before stopping in front of the man, who was clearly a Captain. Kyle gave the man a salute, clicking his boots together as he did so. "It's good to see a friendly face here. Even more so a red coat." Kyle greeted. It was funny Kyle was once a red coat before he came to the 95th. He had served in India before coming here, he was also wounded there too. Kyle took two more puffs from his pipe, before resting his left hand on his blade.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 am

Blackwood returned the salute, privately surprised that the greenjacket had troubled himself to leave his men in order to greet him. Interesting.

"Friendly redcoats are hard to come by, are they?" He asked lightly, keeping his voice and expression bland. "Blackwood, Second Guards."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Kyle smiled at what Blackwood had said. "Well when I was a wearing a red coat the only friendly men where the NCO's, and enlisted men." Kyle explained as he kept checking back at his men who were keeping in order. Kyle then looked up at Blackwood and said, "Its good to let the men gather together to talk while they wait, and give them their time... When it comes to running the company in both battle, and out of battle you have to treat each man as an equal, because one day one of those lads will save you're life. You also need their trust and respect and I'll try my best to prove myself to each and everyman." Kyle said as he then looked back to his men, who were all gathered. The colours, and final officer had also shown up. Kyle made a slight bow before running up back infront of his troops. As he bowed he said, "If you'll excuss me Blackwood." As Kyle approched his troops who were all still standing around talking to each other, Kyle gave a nod to each one of his colours, and then the colours began to get everyone in order. Kyle made sure to help.

Once all the troops were standing in lines, and the command staff had returned to their repected areas Kyle gave them all a salute. The men all clicked their boots together and gave him a salute back. After a lengthy speach of who Kyle was, how he got here, and a few jokes here and there that made the men laugh, he began to ask the men their names. He then went on about how each man should act towards each other, and how he will try and earn their respect. The men seemed happy with this, and how linient he was with things. Kyle also pointed out the things he would not want to see such as gear and weapons unkept, as well as duties being slacked off. He also told them during sentry duty he would also take watch even though he wasn't supposed to. He gave many good reasons why, and how every man in his company is equal. He did lay out the rules on that though, which were fair.

After an hour had passed and he was done introducing himself, and laying out the rules, and getting to know the men, he dismissed them all back to their duties. Every man in the company looked quite happy to see that their new Captain wasn't one of those stuckup officers, but they still wanted Kyle to prove himself, and see how he commanded on the front lines, and if he would run away like many officers often did.

After all the men had left, and he had given some orders that were needed, he moved back to Blackwood. "Thank you for waiting Blackwood. OH! I forgot to introduce myself to you, I'm sorry." Kyle went on as he took his cap off and then bowed before returning back up, "I am Kyle Judd newly appointed Captain of the 95th Rifle Regiments 1st company."

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu May 13, 2010 12:43 am

Interesting, Blackwood thought. Very interesting. The Rifles officer seemed to put great store in making himself known to his men, which was admirable enough. Sharing jokes and anecdotes, however, could prove dangerous to an officer's authority. Soldiers needed to led by their officers, not to become friends with them.

It was interesting as well to note how the greenjacket had described his beliefs regarding how a proper company ought to be managed. He wondered if those beliefs had anything to do with his initial statement about finding only the private soldiers to be friendly. The Guards captain listened intently to the greenjacket's speech, learning indirectly that the man's name was Judd. Another point of curiosity there; he had failed to introduce himself before hurrying to address his company.

Speech-giving was a tactic Blackwood himself had never cared for. His preference was to avoid grandstanding in that manner and let his men learn for themselves what sort of officer he was. For the most part, it had worked well for him. But, he knew, every officer had his own particular style. As long as it worked effectively, he saw no reason to think poorly of any of it.

"A pleasure, Captain Judd," Blackwood said, when at last the greenjacket returned. The genuflection struck him as mildly humourous, but no trace of amusement could be seen on his face. A salute might have done better. "You are newly-arrived to Portugal, I might presume?"
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13, 2010 5:58 am

Kyle was smiling, due to having being able to talk to someone. He hadn't once talked to anyone like a friend, he'd more so been talking to them as if they were soldier and officer, but that was going to change. He wanted it to change. Yet he still wanted to be respected as an officer. Kyle would just have a good mix of both, and help take a lot of the stress off being around an officer from the troops.

Kyle chuckled to himself as the man smiled a bit at the way he had introduced himself. Kyle continued to smile after Blackwood asked if he was new to Portugal. Nice nodded his head saying "yes", since it was his going to be his first time fighting the French. He'd fought in India before coming here, which gave him his wounds and a ticket home. "Yes, I am new to Portugal, and fighting the French. I've fought in India, before so I have combat experience." Kyle replied as he walked over to where his horse was.

Kyle then climbed on with perfectly, and with the perfect about of grace to show he wasn't new to riding a horse. Kyle then rode up beside Blackwood. "What about yourself, have you served anywhere else?" Kyle asked in a friendly tone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 am

India. There was something they had in common. Blackwood nodded slightly. "I was in India first, with the North Hampshires, and later Egypt and Denmark with the Coldstream. And here, naturally."

If there was a place Blackwood honestly missed, it was India. Despite the heat and arid climate, there had been much he enjoyed about that country. Perhaps someday he might return there. After this war was brought to an end.

"I assume you are not long from India. How do you find the change in surroundings?"
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 am

Kyle was happy to see another vet from India. As well as hear about his other tours. Kyle nodded his head, and noticed what he too had, a longing to back to India. India had beautiful lands, and things that would blow you're mind away, due to the history. Kyle loved India, but yet he also hated it due to the wars still raging over there.

Kyle then heard Blackwood as how he got here, and why. Kyle simply nodded his head, and then looked a bit hurt in a way. "No I was actually re-mustered from the 51st of foot... I was wounded... my back was ripped up by shrapnel when a canon ball landed a few feet behind me... I should've been dead, my men were quite surprised to see me push myself up scream ordering them to keep moving, until he won the day." Kyle told Blackwood. "I lost a lot of good lads over there..." Kyle said in a pained tone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 am

"Ah." A lucky fellow, to be able to continue serving after what sounded like a severe wound. He'd been lucky in that respect, himself. No serious injury had yet befallen him. Yet.

"Many regiments did," Blackwood remarked carefully. "No different from this campaign now. I am told the retreat last winter was particularly costly."

The army had gotten off lightly thus far, to all accounts. But it couldn't last. When the French finally turned and fought, things would become quite messy.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 am

Kyle's smiled soon returned to him as he looked at the man. "Yes, I am quite the lucky man. The surgens believed my fighting days were over, I guess I proved them wrong." Kyle pointed out while laughing, trying to brighten the mood. He knew how many men had lost their lives in the battles long past, or more so just a few days ago, or weeks. Men died in battle all the time, it was something that all officers had to live with.

Kyle was quite happy though to meet someone like Blackwood, who's most likely seen more battles than Kyle, in his years of service. Yet Kyle's whole unit was wiped out a year after he had been sent home. It was due to a surprise counter attack no one knew was coming. Kyle was gateful to be alive, yet also gulty that he didn't say. He lost all his friends.

Kyle shook his head lightly, then looked down at the road, they were on. "Is there anything happening soon Blackwood?" Kyle asked wondering if there was something he could do or help with until orders were given to him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mayden Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am

There was a redcoat near their camp. Mayden suppressed a shiver as he looked toward the man. It was pathetically easy to spot him, perched on a horse as he was and with his bright red coat. The same redcoat who'd been around the night before, no less. Now what was he doing hanging about?

Despite his instincts telling him otherwise, Mayden started toward the two officers. He didn't know the other greenjacket, but the presence of a redcoat in the 95th's camp couldn't mean anything good.

"Evening, sirs," Mayden said, offering a salute as he shambled past. It didn't sound as though they had been discussing anything of interest. Damn.
Sam Mayden
Sam Mayden
Ship's Cook

Species : Rifleman; 95th Rifles
Number of posts : 188

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/samuel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu May 13, 2010 7:49 am

"It is hard to say," Blackwood replied. "I haven't heard anything of note in the mess, but that may not mean anything. I'd imagine we'll chase the French clear across to the border, the rate we're going. Assuming old Nosey doesn't try pressing them harder for a fight."

He glanced at the Rifleman who wandered past, not recognising him. Just another soldier. Blackwood returned the man's salute and nodded in response to his greeting.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 13, 2010 8:31 am

Kyle frowned as he heard Blackwood say he had heard nothing as of yet. Kyle slowly nodded, then smiled once again. "Well knowing the French thats all they do... run away after they lose a man." Kyle stated, as he scratched the top of his head under his cap. "I think if we chase the French out of the boreder we shouldn't have any problems... that is if they stay quiet." Kyle finished his smile now gone into a serious one.

Kyle then looked down to see another one of the green coats. This man was clearly an enlisted man, most likely a private. When Kyle saw him salute he returned it with another. "Good evening to you... uh... I'm sorry I don't know your name." Kyle greeted with a kind tone. "Oh right I should introduce myself since I'm a new face here. I'm am Captain Kyle Judd of 1st company." Kyle finished waiting for a reply.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am

Sharpe had been wandering around, checking on picquets and various other things. He saw the Guardsman.... Blacket, Black... Black something. And there was Mayden... And another Rifles officer. Great. That's all he needed! it was too late to pretend he hadn't seen them, though, and he sighed, adjusting his rifle where it was slung over his shoulder, though he didn't bother with adjusting anything else.
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Species : 95th Rifles; Lieutenant
Number of posts : 2686

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/lieutenant-ri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mayden Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 am

Dammit. Mayden had hoped to not be accosted. All he wanted was to hear if anything useful was being discussed. Which there wasn't.

"Mayden, sir," was the reply. "Beggin' pardon, sir. Didn't mean to be intrudin'."
Sam Mayden
Sam Mayden
Ship's Cook

Species : Rifleman; 95th Rifles
Number of posts : 188

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/samuel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 am

"Perhaps," Blackwood allowed. "They fought rather well in Egypt, however. They also dealt rather handily with Sir John Moore last winter. If they are of a mind, they can fight and fight well."

He glanced down at the Rifleman that Captain Judd had addressed. Mayden was the man's name, it seemed. "No intrusion, Rifleman," Blackwood told him, sparing the poor lad any further potential embarrassment. "Carry on."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 14, 2010 9:52 am

Kyle chuckled a bit, as he heard Blackwood finish talking about how well the french fought. "True they do fight like devils when they have the right officer leading them, and they often setup some pretty nice ambushes from what I've heard." Kyle pointed out. As he did, he then looked back down at the soldier, and Blackwoods reply. "Indeed, there was no intrusion. I'm always happy to see another greencoat, Mayden." Kyle told the man with a smile. Kyle then looked up to see another greencoat officer

Kyle watched as the other officer shouldered his rifle. Kyle looked down at Mayden. "Do you know that man Mayden? If so what company is he with?" Kyle asked, wondering why an officer was holding a rifle. Kyle would too, just he'd get yelled at if he did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 am

"Aye, I know him," Sharpe said, looking at the other officer, who seemed to be a newcomer. He certainly didn't recognise the man, but after a winter spent in Lisbon with the rest of the 95th in England, that wasn't surprising. "He's one o' my men, from the Second Battalion. Sir." The honorific seemed appropriate; Sharpe was fairly sure he was out-ranked, and he didn't like the feeling.

He adjusted the hang of his sword and wished he felt less shabby in comparison to the other two officers.
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Species : 95th Rifles; Lieutenant
Number of posts : 2686

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/lieutenant-ri

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 am

Any force, if well-led, could perform brilliantly. Blackwood simply nodded at Judd's words, then shifted slightly in his saddle to look toward the other Rifles officer. None other than the redoubtable Lieutenant Sharpe.

"Good evening, sir," Blackwood greeted, offering a nod. There was an awkwardness in the air that he didn't much care for. "May I present Captain Judd, newly given to command of First Company? Captain Judd, Lieutenant Sharpe. It is my understanding that he has seen more of Portugal than most of us combined."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Kyle was still smiling. He then followed Blackwood to the rifle officer. "Thank you Lieutenant Sharpe. It's good to see another rifles officer, and thank you for the introduction Blackwood." Kyle replied bowing his head to both men. He was quite happy to meet two officers. He was also happy to hear there was a veteran who knew the area quite well.

"I'm glad to see someone has quite the experience fighting or living within Portugal." Kyle told the two officers. "Yet I also feel kind of bad... you've must have see quite a bit of action then." Kyle pointed out, as his tone lowered."I know this is rather a pain, but which company are you with Lieutenant Sharpe?" Kyle asked in a friendly tone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down