Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties

+8
Tom Branning
Jacob Chase
Richard Bolitho
Harry Quinn (Retired)
Mathew De Guarde
Tom Oxley
sans nom
Sir Arthur Wellesley
12 posters

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 Empty Re: OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:29 am

"Dunno. It's just one of them things." He shrugged. "Ain't you see some of them boys havin' a fight sometimes? When it's a real fight, folks know it is. I ain't so good at 'splainin', sorry. You don't go for to hurt folks when it ain't real... not like that time with us." He gave de Guarde a rueful look. "We was all out to hurt each other, us was, then. An' that's the sort o' fightin' that'll lead to bruises an' gettin' in trouble."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Species : Royal Marine drummer
Number of posts : 2083

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/privat

Back to top Go down

OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties - Page 31 Empty Re: OPORTO, 22nd May - Naval Landing Parties

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:40 am

"Aye, we was fightin' all mean there... wanted to, well, I admit to it now, I wanted you to hurt real much then. Especially your wrist. I dunno if i meant to break it, but I knew how it would hurt a deal. Still, don't think it hurt as much as what you did. ..Good call in a way." He said with a smile. "...that is, if I was in your place and got t' opportunity I'd do that. But of course, I hated you for makin' me walk.. all in pain like that later."

No hard feelings now though. Not any more. "We'll .. get to play fighting sometime though?..I'm a Tar, so you'll be safe."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:56 am

"I'm awful sorry 'bout that, but I couldn't let you do me wrist for me, not when I need to be able to use it like. It's in the wrists, see, the drummin' is. Never meant to hurt you quite so bad as that, honest." He nodded. "Aye we can do that one o' these days." He paused, before saying, slightly hesitantly, "Y'know, I like you as a Tar. I'm real glad you... became one, so's we could be friends. Which don't mean I want you to stay like it forever an' ever, o' course. Jus' that... we'd never've bin friends if you'd stayed... what you was. Would we?"

Last edited by Private Oxley on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:46 am

"I don't.. know." The last time Oxley had said it was good for the sake of the crew that he was a Tar he'd flung himself at the marine drummer and then all fighting started and blue eyes, near sprained wrists and knees between thighs. Now he didn't feel inclined to do the same.

Not exactly, though he made a move as if to lunge himself at Oxley, and halted moments before he'd done any harm or even make contact against him. " I'd have had your head before... if ye said that. ..but. Aye, I guess you say t' truth there. Well wouldn't have a fight for sure.. or if we did, I wouldn't be talking to you right now. Which would be a terrible shame." He sighed. "..I don't know what to think 'bout what happened. Bit of me wants.. to say i hate it how I am now.. bit...thinks I'd have missed on lots.. if I wasn't what I am.."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 am

"I never really spoke to any middy, see. We don't... don't have much to do with the young gennelmen, not really. So... if you'd stayed one, you wouldn't've come skylarkin' with us. So when you get back to bein' one... you'll 'member the good times you had with us. You... you won't go back to bein' a bully sort of middy, though, will you?"

He tried to imagine what it must be like, and shrugged because he couldn't.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:21 am

"A bully? No. Well, maybe. Why not? I'd have t' power for it, n' all of you tremblin' couse they'd listen to me and not you!" He crossed his hands. "I could have you all got in trouble. T'..."

And then he stopped and looked at Oxley and thought to punch his shoulder lightly. "..jus' kiddin'." He grinned. " I'll try to be just.. though it's not as easy as you think. 'specially if you're not there when things happen n' have to listen to stories told to you. If they are.." He looked seriously at Oxley. "..You know, what I'd miss is the skylarking. I know I couldn't do it, being a midshipman but...I'll or rather.. I'd miss it if I became one."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 am

"Well, me, I'd listen to both sides o' the story an' try to see who's makin' stuff up, or what. An' it don't mean you'd stop havin' fun... it jus wouldn't be along of us, or in the same sort of way. We'd still be friends. Well, friendly, anyhow." He wondered how the young gentlemen found it. They were only boys themselves... they must like doing the same sort of things.

He wondered if they could ask the young gentlemen if they wanted to have a skylarking... and decided the other ship's boys would probably be too intimidated by the midshipmen.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:55 am

"I will. Though both sides can lie, so it's pretty much tryin' to find a grain of truth and even if you do find it, it's never a certain thing that you know you did. But.... I shouldn't be saying that here now, like I was in doubt. You'd think I don't know how to find t' real culprit once i'm a midshipman and that... would not have you have any trust in me now, would it?"

He looked up , watching the clouds that moved lazily albeit eerily above them. "I was wonderin'. " He murmured. Earlier Oxley said that they were still going to be friends, or friendly. "Could you consider a midshipman a friend?" Could he even allow himself to think to have a friend amongst the lower ranks? Would it not be against the rules? But then, could he just follow them as blindly as he used to?
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:04 am

"I... dunno, 'zackly. But I don't mind sayin' 'Good mornin', sir,' to an officer an' if he wanted to stop for a talk, I wouldn't mind that, neither, not so much. Though it'd be diff'rent if it was the captain, o' course. But a middy ain't so bad... or even a 'Tenant, if they ever wanted to talk with the likes of me." He shrugged. "Y'know, Mister Cartwright knew I'd bin fightin', an' I never said a word. Well, he akchally asked me where I'd fallen, without me even openin' me mouth. But he never made it worser for me by tellin' me he knew what I'd bin doin'... and he didn't make it worse for you, neither, I don't s'pose."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:26 am

"Good mornin' sir.. is t' same as sayin' it to just about anyone though. It's sayin' a greeting, don't need to be someone you care to know better." He could make out an outline of a bird shape in the clouds and wondered if he could find some of the white puffs that resembled a ship. It was too complicated an image though, so probably if with anything he would have to content himself with some animals.

"Hmmm.. Cartwright didn't know. Your mister Cartwright .. i don't think he talked to my officers at all." He lowered his voice. "That surgeon did.. what with the letter he sent! Made us carry it to... but anyway, my lieutenant did bad enough. Wish I had yours fer mine. He's been a real good soldier t'day."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:34 am

"Oh, there've bin officers I've had that I jus'saluted, without sayin' a word to 'em," Oxley said easily. "Don't mind talkin' to the officer on Terpsy... much. An' it'd surprise me if Mister Cartwright hadn't said anythin' to your officer. Tell you what though, that Mister Leat's goin' to take a deal of work to impress, ain't he?" He was glad he had Cartwright, rather than Leat, for his own officer.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 am

"You think they talked?" He tapped his chin. "...Well, if they did, it wasn't for the worse.. jus' unless he suggested you was all innocent or something. Though, if he'd done that.. he wouldn't be so friendly with me today."

He shrugged. Tearing his eyes away from the clouds he looked at the drummer again. "...Mr. Leat doesn' like me..I think.. but tell me... what can I do to impress him. Honestly ...I did 'bout everything I know... short o' savin' the captain's life. Or a lieutenant's. Well.. ok not as much, but I do try hard, even you have ter agree to that, um.. no?"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 am

"O' course they talked. They both live in the wardroom, don't they?" Oxley said. "I think... Well, if it was me, I'd try to be the best sailor in his division. The smartest an' quickest one, who's the best at stuff. Y'know, showin' pride in bein' the best - an' helpin' others when they need it." He shrugged. "Elsewise, I really, honestly don't know."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:32 am

"Best is hard... I ain't that good even if I have a favourable predisposition, by birth n' bein' a middy." He stuck his tongue out at the lad looking half serious about it.

"..I can try showing pride though... if'un that helps? Hm..now if anybody's be willin ter take me help, that'one can be done too." He grinned. "Dun ferget i helped you today. With findin' yer clean slops of course!"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:45 am

Oxley shook his head. "That ain't quite what I meant. An' best is hard, but tryin' to be a cheerful, helpful sort of person will help, won't it? Y'know, just be nice an' friendly an' do your duty in a sort of cheerful way. Which is easier for you than for us Marines."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:03 am

"..means i'll have to learn some songs if I mean ter be all merry." He looked thoughtful. "Well.. it's an idea worth trying. And.. it ain't like I shouldn't be enjoying my time.. to the best. ..After all, there's nothin' more fun then bein' dead tired after a lon' watch of work." He tugged on his coat with a chuckle. "Why is it harder for marines to be merry anyway? Ain't you proud to be one? Lookin' all spiffy while us.. Tars near don't have a uniform at all. Well.. don't."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 am

"No, I meant, to do your duty like it. Um..." He sat up straight and assumed the typical blank expression of a Marine on sentry or something, with an officer standing nearby, before he relaxed again. "See?"
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:54 am

De Guarde followed the example and tried make his best impression of the blank marine look, tried to hold it long after Oxley lost his own to a more relaxed state. He felt the corner of his mouth twitch and not too long after he was giggling. "...can't you atleast smile? You look like a piece o' furniture looking like that. ..Speakin' o' which, you gave me a marvelous idea.... jus' one thing first... when you're standing guard and such... yer not allowed ter move ,or change expression much, are you?"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 am

"Not when there's officers around, you can't, no. When they ain't around, it's easier, an' you can mebbe talk, quietly, but you ain't allowed to forgit where you are," Oxley said and shrugged. "Not that I've ever done sentry, yet. Ain't old 'nough, and besides, I'm a drummer, ain't I? But it's still the same thing, sort of."

He looked at de Guarde warily. "What're you plannin' to do now, then, Buckles?" he asked.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:20 am

"Me, do? Wherever did you hear I'd do anything?" He looked as innocent as an angel just descended from heaven. "So what you are saying though they can't leave their post, right?.. n' they can't look all too.. not blank either?"

He pried further. As long as they were meant to stand there, watch the prisoners be shuffled into smaller or larger groups, any found goods be piled to their left and right, they were good well to talk too.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:29 am

"Yes. Though it ain't good to try an' distract 'em, 'specially when the Sar'nt's comin' round to inspect 'em, or if an officer pops up." He looked at de Guarde's face. "You are plannin' summat, I know you are," he said. "I know that look you's wearin', Buckles."

He stretched and wondered when they would be told they were heading back aboard Terpsy. He was surprised to find he was hungry, and his tummy gurgled a bit.
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:34 am

"Why ain't it?" He asked curiously and shook his head." No no, you are sorely mistaken. Misreading my look you are! Misreadin' it, I tell you!" He grinned and slipped his hands behind his head, then winced because it hurt to touch the skin there and it hurt it felt sticky and uncomfortable too.

"..Your belly's singin'.. whatever could be wrong with it, eh?" He grinned.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:39 am

"'Cause it's distracting 'em from doin' their duty, is why." His expression changed to one of concern as de Guarde slipped his hands behind his head, and winced. "Here, what've you done to yourself, Buckles?" he asked, and looked around for a basin or a mug or something he could use to collect some water to wash de Guarde's head with. "Didn't realise you hurt yourself earlier. You should've said. An' there ain't nothin' wrong with me 'cept for bein' a mite peckish. It's got to be dinner time, or thereabouts."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:01 am

"Must've hit summat when I fell what with that explosion and all, s nothing really, Tom." The boy answered and brought his hands back from his head, frowning as he saw the tips of his fingers covered in brown red, mixed a little with the muck.

"So... it's bad for them if they get distracted when t' officer's on the way?" He added as an after thought.

He saw the marine look about as if searching for something and followed his gaze for a little."Oy, if you're lookin' for food, it ain't 'ere. Unless you fancy a roasted Frog."
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Oxley Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 am

"You want to get it washed out afore you get anythin' nasty in there. Apart from your brains, I mean." He'd spotted a basin of some sort and got up to pick it up. "Aye, it is. An' I wasn't lookin' for food, neither," he said, brandishing the bowl. "I'm goin' to the pump for a bit of water. I'll be right back."
Tom Oxley
Tom Oxley
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next