Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

The Passengers' Cabins

4 posters

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Passengers' Cabins - Page 11 Empty Re: The Passengers' Cabins

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am

The smile faded from Stephen's face - the idea of entering a war to emerge as a hero in the public eye displeased him - but he was forced to nod, remembering the Cacafuego. "It does." Jack had that talent for public heroism, that all-important baraka, for all his flaws, though it was tempered with many instances of private heroism, and he did not thoughtlessly sacrifice his men's lives to win it. He had once said to him that he would rather have a dozen ships burnt to the waterline than the life of one ship's boy lost, but that was not war, and that was not the Royal Navy - in all of Jack's public acts of heroism he thought about the reputation of the navy first, and of himself second.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:29 am

Raoul saw the change of expression, and wondered quite which sensitive area he had prodded this time. "They say that Hussars are mad for glory - that we are reckless to the point of suicide. In a battle, one must accept that some die, and sometimes it is necessary to throw a troop into the breach to make a way for others, or to silence the guns. When one is on one's own, though, such heroics are..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:43 am

Stephen was interested in how des Sablières was going to finish that sentence. "Are what, Capitaine?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:47 am

Raoul thought of his own surrender, when he could have fought on until all were dead, including himself. "As you say, Doctor, it is murder, or suicide, to fight on when death for yourself and your men is the only possible outcome, and there is nothing to be gained except everlasting glory. And even that doubtful, if no one knows about it."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:54 am

Stephen nodded, thoughtfully sipping his coffee. His own war was so very different... The table shook a little at the vibrations caused by the recoiling guns. It was difficult to talk in a public place - he was darkly amused by the fact that des Sablières, an officer of the enemy, knew more about his secret activities than his allies on the ship did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 am

Raoul held onto the cup as the whole ship seemed to shudder. "Do they do this every day?" he asked. "I thought a sea voyage would be restful."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 am

"Usually," said Stephen, "if there is not a chase or repairs or a storm or a real battle." He looked at des Sablières quizzically. "Is it not?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:21 am

"Compared to life with the Hussars, or even being in Lisbon... I suppose it is. But rather noisier." He returned the look with a small smile. "I suppose I will get used to this too. I do not know - I imagined sitting on deck, reading a book and watching the sea. I am sure you promised me that."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:26 am

Stephen smiled again. "If it is not inconvenient for us to do so, would you like to? As for books, I have a couple in Latin - or will you take your Rosseau?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:37 am

Raoul grinned. "I will take Rousseau for now, though ... No, I will not pretend to be a Latin scholar. You read it for pleasure?" Another shudder through the ship. "When they have finished, I think. I would like some fresh air. I suppose the ship leaves the cloud of gunpowder behind..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:41 am

Stephen made a dismissive noise at the mention of Rosseau. "I was planning to smoke, if we go above, but if you are in desperate need of fresh air I can postpone my cheroot. As for Latin, yes, I read in it for pleasure. Apart from anything else, it is always preferable to read what is written in its original language, and I was fluent in Latin long before I was in English. It helps to think in a different language - common ideas become inarticulable, while other, new, concepts emerge. Do you not find that your pattern of thinking in English differs to the pattern in French?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 am

"Your cheroot will not trouble me... " He thought for a moment. "I had not considered it, but it might explain something..." His face lighened briefly. "It is very difficult to sound enthusiastic about cricket in French, so perhaps we should talk in that language - but it is much easier for me to ..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:56 am

"I like to speak in French," Stephen said gently. " Catalan is the most familiar to me - for a long time I did my calculations in Catalan, and it is the closest... but of all the languages I know, despite everything that has happened, I am happiest when I am speaking French."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:24 am

Raoul looked at him. They had almost always spoken in English, although he knew the doctor's French was perfect - better even than his English, as far as accent went. What he could not explain, and what had only just occurred to him, was that the arguments he had accepted in English - about tyranny and torture and Bonaparte's involvement - seemed to fade as he thought about them in French. He did not reject the facts the doctor had told him, but his loyalty to France and the emperor was strengthened. Treasonable thoughts were more unthinkable...

"When I talk English, I think in English - and somehow, perhaps, like an Englishman. My thoughts in French are quite different, I can see."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:31 am

"I think that I think like a Frenchman even when I speak in English," replied Stephen in French, lest what he said be misconstrued by any listening sailors as treason. "Of all the countries of the world, I love France the most - I love its people, its way of living. Which is why I abhor this war, and hate Bonaparte above all people, the damned Corsican tyrant."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Raoul stared down at the cup. "Yes," he replied, also in French. "It is perhaps so for you. It is my country, and yet I only know it under Bonaparte. Without him... I do not know."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 pm

"Without him... France will not be perfect. The Revolution proved that. But I don't not think it could be worse. The secret police operating in Paris: Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Raoul, you would not believe it. When I was last there I saw a silk merchant in the street protesting his innocence - he was not a traitor, never! - but one of his customers had heard him refer to a gold coin as a 'louis."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:41 pm

"This is what the Terror has led to," Raoul suggested. "People are afraid. And it makes for stupidity like that. Getting rid of Bonaparte will not cure that - we need time, and a chance..." He looked at the doctor with something like an appeal. "Or we go round and round, forever changing one tyrant for another, worse one."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46 pm

"No - secret forces of police rewarding informers has led to it, instituted and supported by a tyrant. There is always a risk that his replacement will worse - there is always that risk - but that fear is no excuse for not doing away with a tyrant when he presents himself. The country I love has become a country of informers, conscripts and torturers, and I cannot bear it."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:57 pm

"That is not all..." Raoul began to protest, then fell silent. He drew a deep breath. "I do believe you, Dr Maturin. But I cannot turn traitor that easily - and that is what you want, I think."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:01 pm

"No, Capitaine," Stephen said simply, setting his empty cup down. "But I certainly do not want you to travel along the path you were on when we first met."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Raoul met the doctor's pale gaze. "I know," he said. "I would like to think that..." His mouth twitched and he looked down again at his hand on the cup, and then at Stephen's hand. "I do not know if I could have turned back in time."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm

"I know," Stephen said softly. "Which is why I want to... which is why I am expending this effort. I want what has happened in the past to not be the precedent set for the future."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:54 pm

"If I go back," Raoul began, and again stopped. "I want to go back to being the captain of Hussars - when I was first promoted. But I think I cannot."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:42 am

"It is strange how the points on which ours elves turn can sometimes be so momentous, and sometimes so small," Stephen began hesitantly, "but we cannot return to the self we were before that moment." Such moments presented themselves in his mond with alarming alacrity: his grandfather's death, his godfather, Father Curtis, his first duel, his first patient, the Terror, Scullabogue, meeting Jack, his recruitment, that fateful hunt, the first time he... "I think that you cannot, my Capitaine."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum