Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Sundries EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Sundries EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Sundries EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Sundries EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Sundries EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Sundries EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Sundries EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Sundries EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Sundries EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Sundries EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Sundries

2 posters

Go down

Sundries Empty Sundries

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:14 am

So, I was going about my business yesterday when suddenly I had a couple of thoughts. (this place grows on you, what can I say?)

Firstly- whats the deal with washing and stuff? I mean, sure i've got basins and water a plenty, and can hang something out to dry, but what about Ironing, for ceremonial occassions etc etc? Was I supposed to bring an iron?

Secondly- Am I officially a member of the army, getting paid and lodged by them, or am I a hanger on, getting paid by my patients? (and foraging happily every morning for dinner?)

Back to top Go down

Sundries Empty Re: Sundries

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 am

1. Don't know, and you'd better hang them off the back of your wagon - you're not going to be stationary during the day. It will probably get very dusty, but it wouldn't dry at night, except when very hot. A flat-iron might be possible since you have a wagon to carry your equipment...

2. [Let us hope that Richard Holmes knows his stuff. From Redcoat]

In1796 surgeons were given captain's status when quarters were allocated, their assistants became commissioned officers, ranking as lieutenants, and both were to be regularly paid and provided with medicines (though not their medical equipment) by the government. In 1798 it was ordered that physicians must hold a medical qualification, while assistant surgeons were required to pass a medical examination before being appointed. However, regulations accorded them 'no claims whatever to military command'

I hope that's helpful....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:30 am

It is, thanks. Especially 2, which admittedly was about what I was expecting, given that's abvout what still happens, I beleive.

I guess there's no one who I'd be muscling in ot then if I brought out an iron? (this is to anyone out there- how are you getting your uniforms moderately ironed? or shall we just not talk about that, and assume I hold the only iron?)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:37 am

My man Abernethy does all that - I assume he has an iron packed away somewhere, for my cravats, shirts, etc ... The uniform coat is almost too thick to need ironing, I would have thought, or to wash very often, but I may be wrong about that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:42 am

The wool doesn't wrinkle too much, so it's probably the reason why you'd not need to iron the uniforms (they are made out of pressed wool, or whatnot, ne?) The shirts and the rest probably would get a moderate attention if needing to do parades, or being all presentable.

As for the supplies. I'm not sure if it goes for army, but I've read that the patients had to pay for their medicine (think in the navy. Admittedly , should've payed more attention to that then!).
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:47 am

If medicines are supplied, then I shouldn't think you'd need to pay- but you'd have ter pay fer every single bandage and pin ye use, if they're not paying fer equipment. (which of course raises the question of which is which...lets revise that to instruments etc beind equipment and bandages beign medicine. I have no wish to be haggling over cloth like some goodwife).

If we're wearing coats most of the time- which we are- then I don't think I'll bother having an iron, I'll just go visiting when I need one, I think. Spice things up a bit. (yeah, coats are wool, pressed or not. Though I'd imagine they were pressed, given their general warp and weight).

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:48 am

I suspect you are right about soldiers paying for their medicines - or having the cost stopped out of their wages. They were after all stopped for the cost of the victuals that were issued to them in barracks or on campaign... It may be different for battle injuries, because someone seriously injured might not serve for long enough to pay for the cost of their treatment: on the other hand, that might be why so many died - if you're not going to be able to reclaim the cost of treatment, why provide it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 am

Well, shall we leave the stopping out of wages intact, and let me just pick up my pay from wherever, having had the money docked from the patients pay? It would be easier...and explain all the dratted paperwork I'm getting done for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 pm

You'll need to keep an account of medicines supplied, bought, administered and who to for what ailment. That goes up to making up part of the regimental books - or medical corps books, seeming as you do not seem to be a regimental surgeon. It's also a check to theoretically make sure you are not fiddling the supply lines for medicines or victuals (patients in your care have to be fed and watered, after all) and selling them off to anyone else or hoarding more than you need.

And unless you have yourself a clerk or an assistant that can read and write in a fair hand, that is paperwork you are going to have to dofor yourself.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 am

This was a while ago but this might be a useful link for similar questions.

British Army Pay by Branch & Rank

Surgeons were paid less than Captains. In the cavalry they made

11 shillings & 4 pence per day, in the army they made 9 shillings & 5 pence per day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum