Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction

+7
Friedrich Rottländer
Zachary Pye
Timothy Willoughby
Josef Widmayer
Paul von Dornheim
John Vickery
Edward Torrington
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:01 am

Pye looked curiously at the two officers, listening in, though he tried his best not to appear that he did. It was all becoming clearer now. There was a hostage that needed saving and they were the people who would assist. He only did not understand yet why they would wait. Did they have to ..pay a ransom or something? That was the only logical explanation as talking would most certainly not convince whoever was the captor, to release his prize.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction - Page 4 Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Preparations for extraction

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am

"I was allowed to bring my servants to take care of my things, with the understanding that they would stay behind the last hundred yards. Although not specifically mentioned, I guess I might be allowed to bring my horse under the same proviso."

He put his watch away again and counted off on his fingers.

"From what the wounded Spaniard could tell, we have to get out Senhora Lopez, who had not been harmed in the initial attack, and one other irregular, who was shot, as well as three horses. Although if necessary I would deem those acceptable losses. The man could not see clearly how many bandits there were, but he estimated around ten - but that might not be their full strength and they might bring more now."

Touching his sabretache, where the money was stored, he said quietly:

"If possible, I would like to keep this as amicable a transaction as can be, and get the lady out without any fuss."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 am

Vickery nodded. "Quite. We are here in case things do not turn out so amicably." He thought for a moment, before asking, "Did they specify whether your servants were to be unarmed, or are they allowed to have their weapons with them?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Torrington pulled out the note to make sure he had understood it correctly.

"It does not say that they have to be unarmed. In fact, it only says what I should or should not do. I would assume this to mean that they have some measures of precaution in place that would mean either Senhora Lopez' or my demise if any servants should become problematic."

He pressed his lips together.

"I hope it does not mean that they simply mean to shoot us all from the cover of the woods and take what money and valuables I might have brought. Although what little I have heard about their chief has given no indication that he would resort to such a tactic."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Vickery nodded. "I had wondered whether to have Cotton and Pye as your servants and have Rottlaender load for one of the others - I do not believe I have ever seen a man load a rifle as quickly as he does - but they are doubtless looking for trouble from that quarter. It might be best if we leave you to begin to circle and find a suitable position for ourselves. I should like to arrange a signal to let you know we are there, but I do not think that we can."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Torrington nodded.

"It might be better not to risk it. But probably Rottlaender can load for Cotton and I will take Pye with me. He can deal well enough, and he will have his rifle and my pistols should he need to shoot. After three shots, we need to have fallen back to your line anyway."

He looked uneasily at the small bag of bandages and other medical supplies.

"I hope that the hostages are in a good condition and can move. But just in case they are not, perhaps one of the stronger men could come along with Pye."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Vickery nodded. "Then you should take Roper - he's also an experienced man so can direct Pye should it become necessary. He's a good shot too, and can challenge Cotton."

That would help, if things got hairy.

"I hope you don't mind a little advice, but give them a few moments to load before you get too close to the situation - I would suggest before you leave the cover of the woods. It should give you a few seconds' advantage, at least."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Pye tilted his head. He knew his name was mentioned on several occasions, and listened for what the reason was. He straightened a little, very prepared to protect and defend Lord Torrington with his life, should it be needed. Of course he hoped that the officer would come to no harm however.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:51 am

"I will."

The engineer took off his hat, carded through his hair and resettled his bicorn, gave his sabretache a tuck to settle it properly behind him, then turned in the saddle.

"Pye, Roper, you are with me. Rottlaender, you stay with Cotton as his loader. We meet back here, I would suggest, unless things turn sour, in which case my group will try to convey the hostages straight towards our lines?"

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:06 am

"Sir!" Pye moved towards Torrington though he looked questionably at Vickery and then at his rifle. Was he supposed to take the rifle with him or were they supposed to come completely unarmed.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 am

Vickery noticed the questioning glance, and nodded. "Yes, take your rifle with you," he said. "Follow Captain Torrington's orders, and when he's not nearby, follow Roper's instructions."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:33 am

"Alright, then let us find that place. I will approache them on the hour."

Torrington found a good place and with two leapes of his horse climbed the slope, then waited for the two riflemen to follow him out of the riverbed and across the fields. The sun had sunk beneath the horizon by now, but together with the moon and the clear night, the last traces illuminated the open landscape well enough. It would be more difficult in the forest, but as long as the stars were out, it would hopefully be enough light to navigate still, and a fire would be easy to spot.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:51 am

Pye followed quickly after the captain, holding his rifle and his sword bayonet so that it would not make a sound nor be in the way. He was as silent now as he possibly could be, making sure his steps would not be heard even if it was not yet needed.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedrich Rottländer Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 am

Freddie saw his friend off with a nervous little wave; initially had felt just a touch of jealousy that Pye would go off with his master and he would have to stay behind, but he told himself sternly that Pye was a friend of Torrington, too, and would take very good care of him, and was the better shot as well. And Cotton would need a good loader to defend Torrington (and whatever hostages he was out to get - that part remained mostly inlear sofar). So he stopped feeling jealous, and felt only apprehensive instead of exposing his master and his friend to potential bullets.

To stop himself from getting even more nervous, he siddled up to Cotton and padded the soft nose of the horse.
Friedrich Rottländer
Friedrich Rottländer
Midshipman

Species : Rifleman, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 442

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1678-friedrich-rottlander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 am

Pye raised a hand to wave to his friend and then turned and followed Torrington. He looked a little apprehensive, but if anything could be understood by the look on his face when he looked last at his friend , it was a promise that he would do his best to bring his master back.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Torrington led them over the fields until they reached the edge of the woods, then stopped near a large bolder.

"Load your weapons", he commanded softly. "And watch out - most likely there will be lookouts. Don't shoot at them, but try to keep your eyes on them."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 am

Pye nodded and began to load almost immedietly after he was crouched low. He gazed around them briefly and only a few times before his attention was back on his rifle. One loaded he spared a further glance at their surroundings, trying to spot a human face, a silhuette, even just movement that could not belong to an animal.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 am

It was hard to say - was that movement over there a man or an animal, or perhaps only the wind? Was that shadow a tree trunk or had it moved?

Once big yellow eyes watched the group before the bird flew off, and a wild boar who broke through the undergrowth before them made even Torrington reach for his pistol for a moment.

"Steady - I think I see I bit of light over there", he finally announced.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:42 am

"Yes, sir." Pye spoke quietly. He glanced back from where they came then quickly in the direction that Torrington was observing. He strained his eyes to see if that was an actual flame. Was that their signal? He glanced questionably at Torrington. "Make sure that ain't accidental French, sir?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 am

"If you think you can do so without them realizing", Torrington agreed. Running into a French patrol would probably the worst that oculd happen now.

"Go only as far as you need to make sure they are not French, and come back immediately - while they might let us get away with a bit of reasonable caution, they will not appreciate sharpshooters."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:44 am

"Yes sir!" Pye uttered in a hushed tone. He studied the land to his left then the best way to advance towards the fire to see whom it belonged while trying his best not to be spotted.

Once he seemed set on the path he stole away from their small group. He had reverted back to the old days where sneaking around, kept the youth out of getting found. Close to the ground and resembling a feline out to pounce on an unsuspecting mouse, he moved closer, a bit to the side, then inched again a little more forward. He listened for the French spoken word while he also tried to catch a better view without going too far.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 am

Torrington waited in the saddle, taming his impatience firmly. He could only hope that Vickery had found enough time to get in place.

As soon as he could see through the undergrowth, Pye could discern Estefania, sitting by the fire, and a tall man standing outside of the immediate light. While the scene did not look volatile, it did not look casual either; although it was hard to establish more details about the man, it was clear that he was not wearing French uniform.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Pye glanced left and right, trying to locate any more figures and then began to inch back. They were not the French, there was a lady there waiting and she was under guard. It meant that they have just reached the meeting point.

Equally careful he returned to the captain, and only stood once he was almost certain that noone could see him.

"Sir.. they are not French." He said and then went on to explain exactly what he saw there. "She seems relatively unharmed, sir." Her hair did seem a little messy, and she did appear a bit in disorder, but she was not missing anything yet. "I couldn't see the other irregular. Though they must have him there somewhere."
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Torrington nodded. Most likely Estefania was the bait and the other irregular the guarantee for her good behaviour.

"The horses?", he inquired briefly, dismounting.

They were easily saleable, and therefor probably the most interesting piece of the bargain for the robbers.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm

"I havn't seen'em, sir. I think they might be where the other irregular is." He hesitated. "I can go look 'gain, ..if I missed them." He offered hopefully. He was glad to have found the girl, but less pleased on not having been able to provide the other man with further information, both on horses and the other prisoner!
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next