Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball

+4
Allhands
Edward Torrington
Timothy Willoughby
John Vickery
8 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 Empty Re: 3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball

Post  Marashar Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 am

"The comtesse will certainly prefer to inform you of all the pertinent details herself. You must excuse me, Sir."

James was well aware that this would convey a rather unfortunate impression of his own conduct, especially after Willoughby's pointed inquiries before, but pride and certain principles taught in the cradle prevented him from divulging more about what had passed between him and the lovely comtesse.
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Species : Give me the coffee!
Number of posts : 456

Back to top Go down

3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball - Page 16 Empty Re: 3rd October 1814, All the Gaiety of a Ball

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:16 am

If James had wished to gain any by his present behavour, he was sorely mistaken. Willoughby did not like to think that Anne's virtue was in danger with any man, and while she was but his cousin she was as close to him as his sister. He would protect her if need be.

"Very well." He said simply. "Then for the sake of the ladies that await us, straighten up, put a smile on that face and..." He grew quiet having no further advise for the other man. He glanced in the direction of Lady Neddlestone one last time before lying some more plates on the tray and carrying one himself. "Lets go."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:29 am

It nettled somewhat to be admonished by the younger man, but James knew he was right, so he took a breath and composed himself again. He would dance the walz with his lovely cousin, and perhaps he could at some point tonight discuss the whole affair with his cousin or his uncle. If Torrington thought his friend should be warned ...

Quickly snatching up some of the last pieces of cut fruit and some small meringues, he followed Willoughby with the tray.

"Forgive us, ladies - I hope the spoils we bring excuse our tardiness."
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 am

Willoughby helped James give away the last of the plates, taking one with the soup for himself. He sat himself down quickly beside Bella and smiled sheepishly at her. "As your cousin said there earlier...excuse our tardiness.." He bit his lip and then motioned helplessly at the many plates. "And....take what you will, we hope this is enough.."

He was quiet again, and looked at his own plate beginning with the soup. "...oh...for Spain...I think they might use the castanettes today..." He looked up at her. "Would you want to see a set up close before they do?" And then he felt quite a fool to having said so much. Maybe he should have been quiet and maybe he should have taken the hint so openly given during their dance.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 am

"Certainly!", Bella replied dutifully, but she had lost some of her sparkle. A minute frown had settled on her forehead. Who had been the lady the men had talked with, and why was Willoughby now so clumsily tryingvto pick up the reins of conversation again, and James trying his best not to appear sullen?
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:59 am

"Well.. if you do not want to.. it is certainly not an issue in which you need to agree solely to agree." Willoughby said seeing that her reply was far from the eager one of a person who wished to further their knowledge and who would have been delighted to see such an instrument. He felt that the evening had been wrought with things he had not done right or said right. This appeared to be another of those, though he felt quite ignorant as to what he had done to deserve it.

If she had been displeased with him taking so long, it was not his fault that more people needed to be fed than he had first intended to. He sighed.  Whatever it was, he doubted that she would openly say it and if he tried to investigate he would probably only have made it worse. Damned no matter what one did.

"Is there...anything else you would be interested in or.. want?" He tried one more time. If that did not work, he was ready to give up. The other lady was a pleasant change to the rule. She seemed genuinely interested and delighted of his company without a need of effort but he did not wish to think of her now, nor of the fact he had found a dancer for the waltz, without intending to. But at least the dancer appeared a desirable one and an engaging one.

James of course was not helping the mood, even if he ought to have done a better job at it.

Anne looked inquiringly at James and smiled warmly at the man. She had seen her cousin and him speak with a lady, but knew not of who she was and why the sudden change happened. "Sir,.." She spoke to the commander softly. "Could you be so kind and pass me the salt." she asked though she could well have reached it herself. "...Will you grant us the pleasure of retelling some of your adventures to us later?" She asked hopefully.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 am

Bella was torn. She just felt that something was not right! Despite how much James tried to put on an affable mask again, Bella knew him too well to really believe it, her own brother, after one quick glance at the woman, had pressed his lips together very unhappily before likewise retreating behind his society mask again, and her current companion seemed out of sorts as well! What was going on? But of course, she knew she was not supposed to ask directly. In fact, even her momentary distraction (which had led to her rather graceless reply) was well on the way to bad manners. With an effort, she told her brain to be quiet. Perhaps she could wring the truth out of her brother later (he was much more likely to answer of she caught him alone) or discuss the incident with her sister. Now resolved on a course of action, she led the troubling thoughts drop and smiled at Willoughby, all her radiance restored.

"No, forgive me, Sir. I very much would like that. Perhaps you could also tell me a bit more about what I should expect when the Spanish ladies will dance later? And perhaps what I should do to be polite? I think perhaps they have differrent ways to show appreciation in polite company than we do?"

------

James fetched her the requested item; her warm smile made it easier to forget and put the encounter behind him, although he was still firmly resolved to have a word with Torrington at the first opportunity.

"Certainly, Lady Anne, if you will tell me what kind of adventure might please you most to hear."
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Species : Lady
Number of posts : 116

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t2228-lady-isabella-walham#

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 am

Willoughby had to put some effort into it to answer without that feeling that the moment had been lost. She was all radiant now, but it felt as if she were a good actress, rather than genuine. He knew he was unfair towards her and tried to force his mind into a pleasant mood he had sometime before.

Knowing it would be unfair and quite impolite if he would continue in poor manner, he smiled and answered. "I will get a pair for you. .." He would not do it right that moment though. It would mean more time away. "... Understand that as a peoples, they are warmer, closer and more intimate at times. They have a different idea of personal space although they certainly can and will enforce it, should they not like you. But, if you are kind, radiant and polite towards them I think that is enough and they must have learned some of our manners during the time here."

He tilted his head, watching her inbetween the spoons of soup. "Just don't be surprised of their temperament and being a bit larger than life ..IF it happens. " He waited to see if she was satisfied with the answer. "..Oh and their dances are ....what word could I use to do them justice..well, they have an attitude. That."

++

"One that you hold in your heart fondest." She answered softly and smiled. "Or one where it was comical and entertaining, what happened. Anything, that you particularly wish to share. Please." She added, shyly touching his hand then quickly withdrawing hers, salt clutched firmly in her fingers.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 am

James smiled back:

"Have you ever heard of the ghost ship that the sailors call the 'Flying Dutchman'?"

------------

Bella considered that, then asked carefully:

"So they were very friendly with you in Spain? Or is it just between themselves?"
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 am

"We did not at first know their language at all. And.. we were not at all times friendly even if we were on the same side. See,.. the men are similar everywhere. They do not want other men to endanger their ladies or their own prospects with them.. it may....'ve been sometimes also that our men did not behave their best. Especially was this eh known for the mud trodd....for the regiments of Foot." He spoke that somewhat quieter, though it was not meant to offend anyone it was, according to his observations, quite true.

"Anyway. Our lack of skill in communication, where it was present, did offer a few comical situations though. I saw a few men, thirsty for water or perhaps wine, trying to explain that to the locals. I had seen one, who wanted a chicken and another a pig, make abominable sounds and immitations of either animal." He smiled fondly at that. "Men learned quickly though, albeit only the things that needed most. Perhaps they could not pronounce it well, but it did not stop them from saying it anyway." He gazed at her. "The ladies could be friendly... but I admittedly had forgone such advances." He lowered his gaze. "Not that they were note lovely, it was merely that my time did not allow me,.." He did not explain it further. Bella had no need to know about his endevours of the past, as dissatisfying as they were.

++

Anne shook her head then nodded carefully. "I have... heard of the name, but I do not know any more of it." Her eyes gazed curiously at him. "Did you see it? Did you meet the crew and fight it?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 am

James shook his head.

"They don't fight. It is believed that originally, it was a Dutch man-of-war, lost in a tremendous tempest while rounding the Cape of Good Hope. But others say it is a pirate ship, and some dreadful crime was commited on board, and some even claim that it is much older. Sightings have been reported from many places, but when we met her, it was quite near the cape."

He settled a bit more comfortably in his chair.

"We were on our way back from India, and had urgent news, so we pressed forward as quickly as winds and weather would allow. One evening, the barometer fell and black clouds appeard on the horizon, but the message was very important, so I decided to take the risk. We secured the ship as best as we could, and not an hour later, one of the heaviest storms I ever had to weather caught up with us. We fought it for hours - the winds were so bad that the bulk of the ship alone was enough to propel us, and the rain came in horizontally. And then suddenly, all fell quiet, and we saw a red glow bearing in from starboard. The wind had died completely, and even though we made sail as quickly as possible, we were at the mercy of the currents and feared we had come off our course far enough that it was a reef marker. But it wasn't."

He shook his head and handed his audience the plate with the chocolate truffles he had procured.

----

Bella once again looked slightly troubled. While she was not supposed to know such things, she had heard of the daliances some soldiers had had in Spain; but it was different to hear a young man of her own class talk about it directly.

"Did you have friends among the Spanish?", she asked, not quite sure whether she should proceed.
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 am

"I knew some,and I have bought some of my kit from them, a table here, a horse there. Writting materials, hay for Herrero or Be....my other horse that I first purchased." He answered more softly. "In some towns the Spanish welcomed us as friends and there was time worth celebrating and they celebrated." He kept the smile on his face, though it was a little sadder. "Elsewhere there were harships and sometimes.. oh, we did have women travel with us, with the regiments. And some would go ahead of us to enter into town, buy many of the goods.. so much so that our superiors complained and gave orders that they should not." He smiled. "But they wished the best for their husbands or their business, and would continue." He studied her for a few moments and then added. "You may stop me, should you find any of my stories dull, or wish not to speak of the topic...alright?"

+++

Anne watched James and listened with her mouth not agape solely as it was unlady like, but his story telling had caught her fullest attention, so much so that she had even forgot to eat. Her plate remained half full, with the soup cooling down and the other, smaller one where she should have eaten some treats from, equally untouched. She did not dare utter a sound, if that would distract the man from continuing.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am

James, quite pleased with the results of his tale sofar, continued:

"The middle watch had just begun, when finally this strange apparition crossed our bows. It was a frigatte under full sail, all aglow in a strange red light, and carried on a breeze no-one else could feel. It was an eery sight, her masts and spars in stark black relief against the red glow – she passed us by on the port bow, not more than a furlong away, and we could see her so clearly that we could count the portholes. The quarterdeck midshipman went to the forecastle and hailed and signaled her, and he swears that he heard a murmur answering him, but we could neither see not hear any living soul. From what we could make out, the deck was empty."

The commander sighed.

"When the wind picked up again, she was out of sight, despite our best efforts, we did not find her again. Three hours later, the sailor who spotted her first, an experienced maintopman, fell from to the crosstrees onto the quarterdeck and was smashed to pieces."

---------------------

Bella, slightly unsure how to respond to this best, nodded. Of course she would never tell somebody honestly traing to entertain her that his conversation was dull!

"Yes, certainly. Though I think it will hardly be necessary."

Trying to steer the conversation back to a topic she felt more comfortable with, she inquired:

"Was it one of those tables with inlays of ivory and mother-of-pearl? I saw one of these ones, and found it very beautiful."

Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:09 am

"..Oh no. It was a simple wooden desk that one can fold for easier transport. " He was not fond of discussing details about furniture, but decided to humour her never the less. "While a heavily ornamented piece with ivory and mother of pearl or even some precious or semi precious stones would have been lovely to have, it would be far too heavy for transport and too cumbersome...not to mention, damaging it would be.. rather a shame." He took a bite to consider what else she might be interested in that he could provide her with.

"..there were some houses, which the French did not manage to completely destroy, that still showed the splendor of society.. guilded or ornamented, the furniture carved in with the old detail..." He shrugged. "...well, it was lovely with the Spanish air mixed in with the Orient." He took another bite.

It felt awkward and forced and much as he hated it, he really did not know what she would have liked to hear more. Music? Furniture? Art? He knew horses and he knew the war and to ask about what she particularly wished to see in the opera, or which were her most desirable things would sound rather desperate for a conversation.

"How was life here in London while your brother was in the Peninsula?"

+++

There was a hushed gasp, as Anne held her hends to her lips, shocked at the end of the stury that held her in suspense. The poor man died! The story had all the aspects of an excellent ghost story which if told too late at night would cause fear in those of a more impressionable a dispossition. " Poor dear. " She exclaimed and lowered her hand. "It must have been frightening.. and the man. I hope you never see such a ship again! " She said firmly for she would certainly have feared for the commander's life, if something similar repeated itself.

"Did the midshipman fare fine?.. he heard the ship's murmur.. but, he was safe still, from then on, right?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:47 am

This was a subject Bella was well equipped to answer, and she launched into a résumé of all the scandals, fashions and happenings that had dominated the Seasons Willoughby had missed.

"And of course you yourself caused quite a bit of gossip, Mylord. As much as your grandfather tried, it started to become obvious that you never made an appearance in town. Some said you had to flee the country after a duel."

----

"After that journey, he transferred to Portugal to man one of the signal towers for the Duke of Wellington's army."

He laughed softly.

"Don't let it frighten you too much. The ship is only very seldom seen."

Standing up, he indicated the doors to the balcony.

"Would you like to get some fresh air before the dancing starts again?"

His gesture indicated the whole group, carefully not singling Lady Anne out for the invitation.
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

"Oh? What were they saying? .."Willoughby inquired, surprised that much had been said about his disappearance, and more so that the gossipers have found out, perhaps even quickly, that he was not at home, nor at any other estate. Their suggestion of a duel might have been not too unbelievable, as he had gotten into one as well albeit not at the time nor it being the reason.

"I'd never have fled a duel,..." He said with conviction in his voice. "..please do continue. I have been quite out of it and...it is not as if I would have been told any of it, once I returned." It was silly, but he was a bit curious about gossip relating to himself.

When James stood he glanced at Bella to see if she wished to as well.

++

Anne smiled and stood and not a few moments later so did her sister. "It is a bit stuffy here in deed.. some air will do us good." Anne said softly while Catherine looked at Torrington and inquired if he too would like go outside. If he refused, then Willoughby better find a reason to go as she would not allow her young sister completely alone with a man.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 am

Bella, experienced in these matters, immediately stood up.

"Shall we join them?"

She reached for one last sweet.

"Well, some said that you fled before the duel, but most assumed that you had shot your opponent. Francis Forthingale died at that time rather suddenly, and the circumstances never became public."

----

Torrington slightly bowed.

"Whatever you would like to do, Lady Cathrine. Might I fetch your shawls, ladies?"
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am

Willoughby may not have said it, but he was grateful that she stood too. "Certainly. If you would wish so, m'lady." He answered softly. He contemplated his next answer for a little longer, especially as it concerned a possible duel, a sudden death and his disappearance. "I can assure you that a duel was not the reason of my departure." Which was no lie. He had wished to join the cavalry and did so against his father's wishes, managed also to leave for the Peninsula before his father could ever be the wiser. "Did you have an opinion of it? Hopefully you have not rooted for the version in which I should have fled before it?" He said playfully, though he knew how grave the thought of a duel could be, or how much even their Commander-In-Chief had loathed it.

++

Catherine smiled, a little torn between staying now that she saw her cousin stand up but decided that a little bit of fresh air would be nice, and she thought that perhaps Torrington would have also preffered not to leave his sister alone - even if in company of James and Anne - with the hussar.

"I do not think I should need one." She said, hoping that outside it was indeed not so cold.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:26 pm

"So many people - I had no notion that there were so many in Town for the Little Season," Emma said. She had not danced the last - nobody had asked her - but found it was quite as enjoyable to be able to stroll around the room on her brother's arm and catch her breath.

He was much the same as he had always been, she thought. Perhaps more tanned and somewhat thinner, but unchanged in himself.

"It is probably because all those in Lord Wellington's army could not be here for the Season itself," Vickery pointed out with a smile that found an answering one on Emma's face.

She tapped him with her fan. "Oh, really, John. You do tease so!"
Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Isabella Walham Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 am

"Well, before the duel, you would hardly need to flee", Isabella answere practically, if a bit naively. "And you obviously did not get shot either. But I think my favourite tale was that you run away with an Austrian princess to America. Or followed a beautiful thief who tried to rob you to Australia. These tales are so much more hopeful than having to flee the country after killing somebody for some probably quite stupid reason."

--------------

"Then, if I may ...?" Torrington pulled back her chair and gallantly offered her his arm. James did likewise for Anne and remarked, while leading her to the open door:

"It is a wonderfully clear night for London ... there, nearly a full moon. We shall have enough light outside to read the papers!"
Isabella Walham
Isabella Walham
Ship's Cook

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 am

Countess von Lieven, amiably conversing with a woman who after a moment could be identified as the wife of the Spanish ambassador, passed the siblings, and took a moment to incline her head.

"Miss Vickery. Major."

Though her tone was not exactly friendly, it held none of the haughtiness she was often critisezed for.
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 am

"I can assure you that I have not fled nor run away..and I am yet not married." Perhaps he might have liked that version in which he at least had a happy end. "... I had left to pursue the career that I cared for... I became a cavalryman and a hussar."

"But.. what about you? Have you in the time when your brother was absent, met a man for whom a romantic end such as you mention, would have been pleasing to you? There must have still been some left at home, or returning from the war a little worse for wear."

He offered her his arm, though he needed to wait for the others to pass until they could follow.

++

Catherine took Torrington's arm gracefully and smiled as she followed his lead outside gazing at Anne and James, who were the first. She was glad to see her younger sister enjoy herself, though she wondered briefly what her parents would think of her partner.

"It is a most lovely evening today. Much colder though, I would assume, than it ever was in Spain?" She gazed at Torrington questionably.

Anne, who walked with James, ahead of the others smiled. "Indeed, it is quite bright! Oh.. you must know so much about the stars. I read about how sailors could know where to go solely with their help. How they could cast one glance at the sky and know whether it would rain tomorrow or not..." She smiled at James. "...it is impressive how you may know where you are going... and yet you see no land, nothing at all to give you a bearing!"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 am

"There certainly were, and some were very charming, but if one's brother is in daily danger of suffering the same fate, I'm afraid it makes it hard to see them objectively", Bella replied, smiling at her brother as he held back the heavy brocate curtain for the group to pass. He answered with a quick, private smile of his own.

Then he turned back to Cathrine, nodding.

"Yes, in the summer it was very warm there even at night, although the winter there can be quite harsh. Fortunately we were mostly billeted quite adequately. The poor fellows under Moore had it much harder, I fear, when they had to fall back to Corunna."

James laughed softly.

"Ah, give him a swift boat, good wind and bright stars to sail by, and a sailor will be happy. There, that bright star there is the North Star ... you see it? Follow the back end of the Big Dipper upwards. It is always visible north of the equator, and always true north. And if you are further south, then the Southern Cross appears. When you get used to it, the sky is as easily read as a map."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Vickery Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am

Brother and sister made their courtesies to Countess Lieven. She was unwilling to interrupt the Countess' conversation any further; she would not snub one of the Lady Patronesses for anything - and then thankfully recalled that Vickery had been to Almack's before leaving for Spain so that they had already been introduced.

Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am

Willoughby nodded and gazed ahead. "Many suitors will delight in knowing that your brother has returned then, and that they may without hindrance attempt to draw your attention to them." He murmured loud enough for her to hear.

"In fact, they might send flowers and gifts to him in their gratitude." He added observing the twinkling stars and the way leaves trembled in the light breeze.

++

"Is there a lot of rain in winter? perhaps snow?" She inquired. "Is it true that friendships forged in dire situations such as battle or war, are one of the strongest out there?" She asked suddenly, though thought she would like to know more of Spain should the gentleman be obliging.

++

"You mean that it would not matter where you get lost... if you could see the stars you could find your way home?" It was mesmerising and almost magical to believe that the stars would guide one safely home.

"But...you can just as easily sail by day ..and then you do have only sun... it can't be enough to know just where it sets and where it rises, or is it?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next