Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family.

Go down

"Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family. Empty "Brieven uit den Oorlog in Espanje" - Letters from Duuring to his family.

Post  Casper Duuring Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 am

Off course, this ought to be in Dutch, but let's say, in the spirit of history, someone has found this letter and translated it into English, trying to make it sound like the original was in English. Anyway, it was fun to write and I hope I managed to get Duuring's feelings and emotions into this letter Very Happy

25th of June
To my dearest father,
I hope this letter is receives you undamaged and within a short amount of time, but as the enemy continues to harass our lines in the most vile and un-military manner, I can only pray to the almighty Lord, and rely on our allies to guard the roads.

I remain in good health, and hope you and mother are not too worried. I am sorry I could not write to you sooner – Our regiment has been in the city of Mérida (If you can’t find it on one of your maps, it’s close to the big city of Badajoz) for over a month, guarding the city against any English advance. The besiegers left somewhere between the 10th and the 12th of June. Great were the celebrations, great was my relief when we were finally leaving the boring fortress to join the great army in the field. We marched hard and quickly, and joined the army a few days later. Oh, if I could only explain to you the feeling of this army, this united army. All the free nations of Europa are represented here, and not a man is unwilling to do his duty – be it for an emperor, a king, a prince or a republic.

The nights are still soft and short, and never I am cold, nor ever alone – the regiments spirit remains most inspiring, even though the French do not think of us as equal allies. I am sure that, when the time is there, we shall prove ourselves in the face of the enemy a most trustworthy unit, to be feared by the English and Spaniards. The battalion has been engaged in a small battle with Portuguese soldiers, where I had the honour of speaking with a French colonel. I am pleased to tell you that my French is ever improving, and that the conversation went most well.

We have not yet engaged the Enemy in a grand battle, but great rumors are out that the Enemy army is marching to meet us. I have spoken to some French voltigeurs who told me that the skirmishes which occur every day are ending to our advantage. Let this be a reassurance to you that I am as safe in this army as I am at home. We are now alongside a small river, which is to our standards no more than a big creek, whose name remains a mystery. Battle is near, I am sure of it, and so I took the time to write this letter. I have to end now, as the last mail is going out shortly, and it may be weeks before I manage to post a new one.

For my beloved sisters I have added to this letter two Portuguese cockades, which I retrieved from the small battle. For my dearest younger brother: An unshattered bullet I stumbled upon that same day.

Give my dearest love to mother, and tell her, I am grateful of her daily prayers, which are another assurance of my safety and well-being.

Your devoted son,
Casper

Casper Duuring
Casper Duuring
Ordinary Seaman

Species : 2eme de Ligne
Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down