Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Muster in the Morning, 6th July

+3
Allhands
Keiju
John Vickery
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 Empty Re: Muster in the Morning, 6th July

Post  Keiju Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 am

"If I may," Mister Todd began, aware that he was running the risk of being impertinent, "but is your fellow about this height, with a rather worrisome tendency toward insolence?"

The Guards major regarded him for a long moment before replying. "That would be a fair description of the rascal, yes. What do you know of him, sir?"

"Only that he was recently in the surgeon's train, sir, seeking treatment for a wounded arm." Todd inclined his head in Vickery's direction. "I do apologise for interrupting, sir," he added.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Muster in the Morning, 6th July - Page 2 Empty Re: Muster in the Morning, 6th July

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:30 am

Cotton had been about to make sure everything was packed up ready for the march when Vickery called. He thrust the mule's rope halter at the nearest Rifleman and ran over to the officer, slowing to a halt at a suitable distance so that it would not look as if he meant to interrupt.

Vickery looked over towards him and he saluted, suddenly very aware that the redcoat was a Guards officer.

"Have you seen any of the Second Guards around here recently? The major says that one of his men has lost a shako and thinks it was mislaid in our camp somewhere."

Cotton blinked. "No sir. Though..." There had been a drummer round here the night Cotton had got his arm sliced open. "I'll keep an eye out for it, sir, an' bring it over meself if anyone finds it."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

"Though?" Edmondson asked, his voice flat.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Ah, crap. "There was a lad of your aroun' a couple of nights ago, sir, though I didn't see much of him an' he wasn't here very long." He didn't recall seeing a shako, though, and with the brass shako plate polished to the Guards' high standards, Cotton was sure he would have seen that.

Though, maybe not - that was the evening he'd ended up fighting that idiot Kirridge, and got his arm knifed.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 pm

The major's brows knitted sharply together. A lie had first been told, which was only corrected upon being challenged. He might have known.

"So you did, in fact, see a Guardsman here." Edmondson paused, a muscle in his cheek giving a twitch. "I dare say if he encountered ill treatment, he would not have stayed 'very long', would you agree?"

The surgeon's mention of seeing that damned drummer in the surgeons' train, having his arm treated, only supported the theory now forming in Edmondson's mind.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 pm

"Only in passin', sir, an' not to talk to or nothin'." If he had received 'ill treatment' as the officer put it, it was not at Cotton's hands. "I dunno who he saw or anythin' like that."

And now he felt defensive as all hell.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Vickery straightened sharply at the implied accusation. "I hope that you are not insinuating that my man had anything to do with any such treatment, sir?" he said, addressing the Guardsman with very slightly narrowed eyes.

If anybody had had anything to do with it, he would lay ten to one that it was the absent Kirridge.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 am

"Not in the least," replied Edmondson crisply. "Seeing my Guardsman and handling him roughly are, naturally, two separate beasts. Though I do wonder who else may have seen him during his brief visit."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 am

A frown was creasing Mister Todd's brow. "How many days ago did this incident occur, sir?" He asked of the Guards major.

"Two days, on the fourth," was the reply.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

Two days...? Vickery was immediately on the alert. "Excuse me for one moment, sir," he said, and turned to summon his senior sergeant.

"The two men who were absent at parade. I want to know who they mess with and where and when they were last seen," he said crisply. If this had anything to do with either of them, Vickery was going to throw the book at that man.

"Could your man point out who it was who abused him, sir? Or give a description of the man?" he asked, turning back to the Major once the sergeant had gone to carry out his order.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm

The grasshopper's abrupt change in demeanour suggested that Edmondson's distaste might very well be justified.

"I dare say he can. Already has, with some pressing." The major glanced dismissively at the round-faced batman. "There were two fo them, at cards. One short and disreputable, the other taller and lean."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 pm

"I presume it was the shorter one who did most of the damage?" Vickery asked. From the sparse description, it sounded very much as though his suspicions were justified. "How badly was your fellow hurt?"

He was still going to throw the book at the pair of them, though.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm

That was a detail about which that little rogue had been obstinately vague, but it hardly mattered.

"He suffered some bruising to the face and a mildly wrenched wrist," was Edmondson's answer. It was delivered in a tone that hinted at a feeling of irritation - though at what, precisely, was impossible to tell.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 am

Well, that news set Vickery's mind somewhat at ease; he had been afraid it was much worse. "When I find the perpetrators, sir, you may rest assured that they will be punished, and your man's property will be returned should it transpire someone in my Company has it unlawfully."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 am

"And how long will that take?" Edmondson wanted to know. "I hardly expect the two rogues responsible for the assault will have kept anything for a trophy."

Though it was all but a certainty that whoever had carried out the attack was long since gone. The grasshopper's own words had revealed as much.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 am

"As little time as it may," Vickery replied, wondering how in the world he was supposed to provide an exact timescale - especially if it was either Mayden or Kirridge, or both, who were to blame for what had happened. He also wondered what use the Major thought his men would have for a Guardsman's shako with its bright polished brass plate, rather than their own with nothing but the bugle horn badge to give them away.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 am

That was hardly any better, really.

"I dare say you had better make a start on it, then."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am

And that put Vickery's back up right away. What did the Guardsman think he had done, in wanting to know who had last seen the two Riflemen in question and when, after all?

"Certainly, sir," he replied, and turned to Mister Todd, who was still waiting patiently. "I apologise for the delay. What was it you wished to see me about?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

No doubt the grasshopper thought his acknowledgement signalled end to the matter, but Edmondson was not so easily put off. He narrowed his eyes yet said nothing. It would, perhaps, not advance his cause to press the matter at this moment, but he would return this evening, after the march.

~

"Sir," said Todd. "I'm here regarding one of your missing Riflemen, in point of fact."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 am

Ah. That was interesting, especially in light of recent events. "Which of them?" he asked, and privately wished the Guards officer would take himself off so that Vickery wouldn't feel he was airing the Rifles' dirty laundry in public.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 am

"The short darker fellow, of the Ninety-fifth. One of Mister Sharpe's lot."

There was a very quiet hmph from Edmondson upon hearing this.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 am

Of course it was. Of course it was. "What is it I should know about him then?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 am

"He and a redcoat were brawling, sir," replied Todd. "When I happened on them, your Rifleman was very near to inflicting a likely mortal blow to his opponent. He had already wounded the other fellow across the ribs, with a knife - a wicked little thing, from what I saw of it."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 am

Vickery couldn't help his eyes narrowing. That would mean a flogging at the very least - it was more likely to be a general court martial with a hanging at the end of it.

"Where is he now?" he asked tightly, hoping to hear that he had been taken into custody. This was far beyond simply roughing up a Guardsman.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 am

This was interesting, thought Edmondson. Interesting indeed. Certainly it strengthened his feeling that the Rifles were nothing more than a pack of ruffians in uniform.

~

"I could not say, sir," said Todd. "I sent them both on their way - though the redcoat, I suspect, will have gone to see one of my counterparts from his regiment. He is, may I add, one of those provost fellows with whom there was some difficulty recently."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next