Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

3rd July; Informal investigations

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd July; Informal investigations

Post  Keiju Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am

3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 SamMaydenAvv1

"He attacked me. Sir."

There was no way for the redcoat to deny it, either. He had delivered the first blow when he'd boxed Mayden's ears.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd July; Informal investigations

Post  John Vickery Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 am

He attacked me, sir. Of course. Vickery gave a silent sigh. "Now, Mayden, why would a redcoat who doesn't know you attack you, unless it was with some sort of provocation?"

The chances were more than even that neither of them would tell him exactly what had happened, of course, but that was no reason at all not to try to figure things out.

There were times - and this was one of them - when Vickery wished he was still a Lieutenant and could hand it off to his superior. The trouble was, now he was the superior and had to deal with it himself.

He turned to the redcoat, who'd served as his batman during his recuperation while Cotton had been a prisoner of the French. At least he could remember the man's name. "Do you have anything to say, McIntyre?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:17 am

3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 SamMaydenAvv1 3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 OldMcIntyreAv1

"He's from the 33rd, sir," Mayden replied, as if this was more than sufficient cause for the oldster's assault.

~

The name of Mayden had stopped his thought process cold. It had sparked any number of memories, all of them concerning another Mayden - though McIntyre belatedly recognised the similarities in this young lubber's features and build, now that he was thinking about it. He'd never have credited that Tom would have gone for a family man, but he supposed it wasn't that great a surprise, really. Not if he had become one himself.

"I came 'longside wantin' to find out if anyone here knew anythin' about Flint-dog bein' used rough, 'cause he got cut up a bit a couple days ago. This'n here got to bein' uncivil, so I boxed his ears. He refused to fetch an officer when I asked to be took to one. Then it got to a bit of scuflfin', which the first luff came up an' stopped."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:16 am

"You should not tar every soldier of the 33rd with the same brush," Vickery said mildly. "I believe Private McIntyre may well have known your father, in the West Indies."

He turned to the oldster. "You came to enquire about whether anybody knew what had happened to the dog?" He looked to Mayden. "And you took it into your head to be uncivil simply because he is from a different regiment from your own?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:05 am

Why shouldn't he, then? Because he was damned sure the 33rd were protecting that evil bastard Hakeswill... what? Mayden blinked and looked in confusion at Captain Vickery. His father had never had dealings with the 33rd - the old man had been a Marine, not a soldier.

"He was near-to accusin' us of whatever it was got done to the dog, sir. I only told him to go 'cause of him not bein' welcome here. He boxed my ears. So I got hold of his jacket to show him off, he shoved me, an' I belted him for it. Then he knocked me down - that's when Mister Delacroix come in, sir."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am

Now they were getting somewhere... That explanation had the ring of truth to it - as much as Vickery was likely to get, anyway.

Vickery turned to McIntyre. "What was it you said to him, as close as you can remember?" he asked.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

3rd July; Informal investigations - Page 2 OldMcIntyreAv1

Now was not the time to think about this lad being Tom's son, McIntyre told himself. He kept his gaze fixed on the side of the Rifles officer's tent and replied, "I told him Flint-dog had been cut up, on his shoulder, and since he hangs about here a fair amount of the time, I reckoned somebody here might know about it. This'n just said it were only me lookin' for trouble with 'us Sweeps', as he said it."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am

"Somebody here might know about it," Vickery repeated. Taken the wrong way, that could indeed sound like an accusation, he supposed. "You didn't actually outright accuse any of the Rifles of doing it, though?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 am

"No, sir."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 am

"So I am to understand that you ended up milling over a misunderstanding about the whereabouts of a dog?" Unbelievable - were it anyone else but a couple of soldiers, and Vickery thought that even they should have more sense than that.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am

"Not the whereabouts, sir," McIntyre said patiently. "I know where he's at. But I don't know who's had a go at him with a knife. That's what I come 'longside to try to find out."
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

Vickery must be more tired than he'd thought - they had indeed established that McIntyre knew where the dog was, but not who had injured it. "Indeed. It was still over a dog, though."

He sighed. "Mayden, you should know better than to pick a fight with someone who is old enough to be your father, and McIntyre, you should certainly know better than to end up in a fight over a dumb animal. I am putting you, Mayden, on extra duties, and I will recommend the same to your officer, McIntyre."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 am

Inwardly, McIntyre seethed at the insult, but showed nothing of it. So this was the measure of the Rifles, was it? Clearly his initial opinion of them, formed while he'd been briefly living amongst them, deserved some reconsidering.

"Yes sir," the oldster said tonelessly. The grasshopper beside him offered an equally bland acknowledgement. They were both feeling put out, though for very different reasons.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07 pm

"You may also let it be known that I consider such an attack on a defenceless creature to be a despicable act of cruelty," he added with a touch of steel in his tone, wondering if it would ever come out who had done that - because certainly it was not the Rifleman standing in front of him. "Very well, unless anyone has anything further to add, you may both be dismissed."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

If those words had come first, McIntyre would have believed him. Now, he was rather less inclined. He saluted, about-turned, and made his departure.

~

"What if he comes back, sir?" Mayden asked, waiting until the redcoat was out of earshot.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:09 am

Just as McIntyre left, Captain Torrington approaced Vickery's tent. He was in a rather bleak mood: Not only had the survey they had just concluded been difficult due to terrain and weather, there had also been an accident: One of the rifleman had lost his footing crossing a stony slope, tumbled several feet amidst a shower of loose rubble and suffered several cuts, bruises and a twisted ankle. Fortunately, the last was the most serious of the injuries, but it had been enough to slow them down considerably, and they had only reached the camp now because the injured had been allowed to ride Trueno.

So Edward was tired, irritable and not at all looking forward to reporting the incident to Vickery. He briefly wondered at the redcoat coming towards him, but didn't stop to inquire.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:22 am

Vickery was about to say something to Delacroix when he noticed Captain Torrington approaching. "Ah, Captain Torrington. May I introduce my Lieutenant, Delacroix? He has only recently joined the Company. Delacroix, Captain Torrington, of the Royal Engineers."

It was only after he had completed the introductions that he noticed the look on his fellow Captain's face. "Is there something wrong, Captain?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 am

Well. That was that, wasn't it? Bloody officers. Mayden saluted and moved smartly off. At least he had bloody asked. It was not his concern that the captain had not bothered to answer him.

Mayden appears next here.

Last edited by Keiju on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 am

Edward's mouth twisted into what he hoped was a polite smile as he bowed briefly, then held out his hand. "Delacroix. Pleasure to met you."

He turned to Vickery, unconsciously straightening.
"The survey party reports back. But unfortunately I must also report that rifleman Schneider has suffered an accident and injured his leg. He should be with the surgeon now, but most likely his ankle is badly sprained. He fell down a slope."

The engineer inwardly sighed. This was not precisely a concise report, was it? He must be more tired than he thought.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jean Delacroix Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Jean stepped forward and shook the man's hand. "Thank you, monsieur." He returned the smile, though he could tell something was bothering the man. Then he realised the last word of his sentence was spoken in French. He swore inwardly. Most of the men knew, by now, that he was French, yet on their side. However, he still worried that some of the newer people he met might get... ideas. Jean hoped it would just be ignored.

Stepping back, Jean listened to the man's report. Then decided to add his own opinion.

"Well a broken leg will mend itself. That's nothing too serious." He chuckled.
Jean Delacroix
Jean Delacroix
Ordinary Seaman

Species : 2nd Lieutenant, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm

It was ignored - mainly because Edward's mind had put into some convenient drawer to deal with later. At the moment it was still on Schneider's broken leg. It was not the first time that somebody under his command got injured, but it was the first time that it was not some exchangable face but a soldier he knew as a person.

The engineer bowed slightly in aknowlegment of Delacroix's words.

"I do hope so. However, at least for the next few days, he will not be fit for marching or fighting. Or surveying, for that matter."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2