Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer

5 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 Empty Re: June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer

Post  Edward Torrington Wed May 30, 2012 8:36 am

"It certainly would have!"

Edward pulled a chair up for Vickery and settled on his chest himself.

"Isn't everything better with a member of the light division present? At least in their own estimation?"

He winked at Vickery, while offering another round of tea.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer - Page 8 Empty Re: June 24th, evening: Having dinner with the Engineer

Post  John Vickery Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 am

"I fail to see how half-drowning three captains could possibly be any improvement on half-drowning two captains," Vickery said, taking a seat and crossing one leg over the other. "In fact, my not being half-drowned has to be of some benefit as my man has not had to look out two dry sets of clothing instead of one."

He accepted the offered cup of tea and blew the steam off, though he did not taste it right away; it was likely to be hot enough to burn his mouth.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am

"I could say that it would have been even funnier, but I get the feeling you won't agree with me." Hunter shifted on his feet settling into a more comfortable position.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Species : British Infantry; ADC to General Wellesley
Number of posts : 437

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed May 30, 2012 8:58 am

"The blame would be more easily shared."

Torrington deadpanned.

"And it was an accident suffered in the name of duty! We were striving to improve our fencing skills - and surely three officers doing so would be better than only two?"

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed May 30, 2012 9:01 am

"It only requires two participants to fence," Vickery replied. "Although I must say that it does seem as though a third pair of eyes may have spotted the river before you fell in. It is quite a large body of water for this part of the world, after all."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 4:58 am

Edward inwardly grinned. He could hardly admit that at some point immersion in the river (preferably the opponent's) had featured quite heavily in their plans of attack.

Outwardly, he replied gravely:

"We will make sure that we choose a more illuminated and less watery spot for our next bout - or invite you toplay umpire."

Last edited by Edward Torrington on Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 5:31 am

George twitched, shot a sly look at Torrington from under his lashes. "You have to remember though, Vickery, an umpire could find himself in a vulnerable position if his judgement is not to the liking of others."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 5:58 am

Edward tossed a napkin at Hunter, laughing.

"Speak for yourself, Hunter. I have to live here, so I will very much abide by everything Vickery says. - Besides, it is unlikely that he will find something to remark which we both see the same way, so one will always be around to defend him."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu May 31, 2012 6:07 am

Vickery chuckled and inclined his head. "It is the sad duty of an umpire to be disliked by either side so, as I value both your friendships, I find I must respectfully decline the offer. You should ask someone else, and allow me to remain a mere bystander."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 am

"So you suggest we find someone we both dislike for the role? Torrington do you have someone in mind?"
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 am

Edward's brow quirked upwards.

"Apart from the poor sergeant I harrass occassionally for the right tools, paper that isn't wet, mouldy or just plain crumpled, and a few other things the army doesn't seem to have in store, my few aquintances here include nobody whom this description fits, as far as I know, but perhaps you could introduce me to somebody, Vickery?"

Edward's eyebrow became an elegant arch.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu May 31, 2012 6:40 am

Vickery considered for a moment. "Actually, I am not sure I can think of somebody of that description. Well, not right now, unless you count people currently still in England." He looked interrogatively at Torrington, and then smiled. "And somehow I do not think that would quite fit your purpose."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 7:03 am

"Well, unless his lordship sees fit to grant us all furlough, I don't think it would be particularly practical. Hmm. In this case we will probably have to wait until such a personage makes his appearance here."

He grinned.

"Or we could have the whole company decide by vote of majority. It probably wouldn't work, but it might be an interesting experiment."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 am

Hunter smiled. "Experiments now, is it Torrington? I can just see you after you've retired from the army. A gentleman naturalist. Experiments, journals and stuffed animals all around you."
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 7:47 am

Edward pulled a grimace.

"No stuffed animals. I prefer mechanical instruments. But otherwise? To me it sounds perfectly appealing. Although I have not the slightest inclination to retire before I have thorougly beaten you at fencing!"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 am

"If you are hoping to beat me, Torrington, your retirement is a very long way away." Hunter smirked at the Captain and bent to pick up the napkin, Torrington threw at him earlier.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 am

Vickery finally tasted his tea, which was just about cool enough to drink now. "I think you might find either that the Company will abstain for fear of angering the wrong man, or that they will come down heavily in My Lord Torrington's favour. After all, everybody favours a lord, as we all know."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Thu May 31, 2012 8:02 am

Outside of the tent there was the snort and whinny of a horse, accompanied by a sudden commotion sounding suspiciously like that of riflemen stumbling unevenly to attention, and the panicked voice of Lt. Brady apologizing profusely to someone about an 'improper reception'.

Last edited by Sir Arthur Wellesley on Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 8:07 am

Edward frowned, the good humour vanishing from his face.

"You'd really think so?"

He did not like that notion very much. - As much as he enjoyed his social status, if he asked people to pass judgement, he did not want it to enter the equation. Further thoughts on that subject were interrupted by a commotion outside, however, and he turned his head, frowning.

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 am

Hunter reached out and touched Torrington on the shoulder nodding in the direction of the tent's entrance, trying to draw the other men's attention to the commotion outside.

"This can't be good," he muttered so as only Torrington could hear.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 am

"What the...?" Vickery hastily put his teacup down on the nearest available flat surface and got to his feet. "Beg pardon, gentlemen," he said before finding his headgear and ducking out of the tent in a hurry. What on earth was Brady doing, and who was he apologising to in such a panicked way.

The General. Oh dear.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Arthur Wellesley Thu May 31, 2012 8:15 am

Seeing his captain Brady dashed over, looking mortified. He saluted hastily.

"Sir, General Wellesley has just ridden into the camp!"

In the dark the picquets had not recognised the Commander-in-Chief, and so the usual early warning that would have been delivered to the duty officer had failed to be given. The general had been amongst the Rifles before Sergeant Fischer had seen his face and let forth a particularly filthy oath in surprise.
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Sir Arthur Wellesley
Captain

Species : General Officer Commanding
Number of posts : 4534

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 am

Oh dear God. "Who let him out unsupervised?" Vickery muttered. and, more to the point, how had he got past the picquets before being noticed? Someone was going to regret their lapse of attention, Vickery would make sure of that.

"Thank you, Mr Brady. I don't suppose you have any idea where he might be now?"

The sound of hoofbeats behind Brady answered that one without the Lieutenant needing to open his mouth. Vickery drew himself to attention and saluted smartly as the horse draw to a halt mere paces away.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 am

Torrington had nodded in answer to Hunter's comment and gotten to his feet, with one hand gently dislodging Hunter's. Now he snatched his own hat and held the flap open for Hunter, assuming that the ADC would want to greet his general.

"I wonder what has happend?", he murmured softly to himself.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Thu May 31, 2012 8:29 am

Hunter pulled on his boots in a great hurry, they made a disgusting squelching sound. He glared at Torrington as he walked outside past him, the man could have had the decency of letting him 'hide' behind him. He stepped out of the tent, glancing down briefly making sure that Vickery's greatcoat hid as much as it could.

He saluted the General.
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next