Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Moving Time On EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Moving Time On EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Moving Time On EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Moving Time On EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Moving Time On EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Moving Time On EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Moving Time On EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Moving Time On EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Moving Time On EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Moving Time On EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Moving Time On

+3
John Vickery
Marashar
Sharpiefan
7 posters

Go down

Moving Time On Empty Moving Time On

Post  Sharpiefan Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 am

I have started a land-based thread on the 25th June, skipping forwards a week.

I think part of the reason StC runs so slowly, in-game, is that people have felt it easier to RP out the 1st, followed by the 2nd, followed by the 3rd. And usually there are several threads per day, and maybe even per character per day.

I am not sure what to do as regards this, because I think it's partly this that is making the game 'drag on'. I don't want people to feel rushed, or that they can't make a thread starting the day after one with the same character.

I would like IC time to run a bit faster in comparison to OOC time, though, so that we don't feel that the only threads a character can have is a conversation - those can get boring if there's nothing else to RP.

So far, we've got a dinner between Vickery and Torrington on the 25th, and a runaway ox destroying the camp on the 26th... which could work out to be a really good fun thread!

If anyone has any ideas on how to make in-game time run a little faster than one IC month per OOC year, I'm open for suggestions!

The second, and more important, question is: What do YOU want to see? How can we improve StC and revitalise it?

Please reply in a comment to this post if you've got any ideas.

Sharpie
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Species : Master Jester
Number of posts : 884

Back to top Go down

Moving Time On Empty Re: Moving Time On

Post  Marashar Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

I'm actually having quite a lot of fun right now. *evil grin*
I would love to see some real action on the British side, and I think moving the game forward is good in that respect.
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Species : Give me the coffee!
Number of posts : 456

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 am

I am hoping to get to Talavera relatively soon - the battle was in July, and I certainly don't want to have to wait another six months OOC before we get there. But I don't want to rush people and make them feel they have to drop threads and plots in order to keep up with the site plot.

Proper action is always fun! Very Happy
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 am

All RPGs have realtime/gametime problems, it is a part of the system I guess. I was once in a yahoogroup western that took 9 1/2 months REAL time to do one game day.

Im only running one char but even with that I'm in a couple of threads and enjoying myself.

I too am looking forward to Talavera also.

No great suggestions for how to move things along except maybe declare a sudden time jump ahead but dont let it affect current threads going on. I mean anything still going on, just let those threads play out at their pace but don't start any new threads then plop Talavera (or the day before or whatever) into the game.

Hope some of that made sense? Razz
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 am

I'm thinking about asking folks if they really NEED to RP out every day... if we skip days here and there in an IC month, hopefully things will move a little quicker without leaving characters and plots behind. After all, in a novel, you don't see a character 24/7, as it were - you see the main events that the author wants to show.

It did all make sense, and I'm glad you're all having fun. After all, that's the whole point of RPing at all, isn't it? Very Happy
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 am

My solution to the 'having time drag' feeling that I think we have all experienced on StC to some degree:

Every IRL month, we move time on to a new IC week. Threads do not have to follow on, one thread to the next... Characters can have their own minor timeskips within the IC week (so they're 'onscreen' in a thread on, say, the 1st July, but they don't have another thread open till the 4th).

Threads can remain open until they're finished, if finishing them will take longer than a month (we're not all on every day, after all), but there would be no need to feel as though everyone has to RP out every single moment of every day, because we'll just run out of plot ideas like that.

I'm asking for your views and opinions on this, and if you have anything else to suggest to help keep things moving, please post them. Just remember that we want people to be able to jump back in if they've been away for a bit - RL is nasty but it can't be avoided, after all.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 am

Sounds absolutely reasonable to me, especially, if I understand it right, we are free to tie up threads that are running on, but people don't have to wait around for us to do it and are free to move on. Smile
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Species : British Infantry; ADC to General Wellesley
Number of posts : 437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 am

Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.

On the first of the new IRL month, we start a new IC week... but unfinished, hanging threads from the previous week can still be posted to. But people don't have to hang around until those threads are done.

It's a little like having a mini-timeskip every month, instead of a huge one every six months or a year.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  George Hunter Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:08 am

Yay for Sharpie's great ideas! Very Happy
George Hunter
George Hunter
Midshipman

Species : British Infantry; ADC to General Wellesley
Number of posts : 437

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Does the constraint apply specifically to motion forward? Ie. if the current IC week = July 1-7, I cannot start a new thread set on July 10, but I could start one set on May 16? Or are all new threads to be bounded within the current IC week?
outis
Commander

Species : Sofa Monster
Number of posts : 1700

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Sounds good to me! I'm all for seeing things move forward.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Button Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 am

I don't visualise it as a constraint, more as a device to get people and/or characters moving forwards where otherwise they would be stuck on the IC same day for a month or two IRL, if that makes sense.

Though I think that to have characters moving forward together would be better - if one or two characters post a new thread set on July 16th and partway through their thread they start talking about a thunderstorm, other characters who may be on the 10th July may start talking about bright blue skies when they reach the 16th July in three weeks' time IRL.

I hope that makes sense, anyway. I don't want to stop people running ahead, but then I don't want people either getting left behind or feeling they've got to drop a thread just to catch up with everyone else. If we move in one-week chunks of time every IRL month, hopefully we'll all be happy. Or at least, equally upset. Or something.

So... I think I'm saying all new threads should fall within the same IC week - though if we're at the end of the month and there's a vital plot point that means a new thread needs to happen in the IC week we're about to leave behind, there's no reason to not play that plot out. It's about being flexible, and having fun, after all.
Terry Button
Terry Button
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Boy, 3rd Class
Number of posts : 1447

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/terry-

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:06 am

So other than open threads that have carried over, time before the IC week would essentially be locked?
outis
Commander

Species : Sofa Monster
Number of posts : 1700

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Button Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 am

I'm in two minds about that.

One one hand, 'yes': people wouldn't get left behind/too far ahead and threads wouldn't drag on forever.

On the other hand, 'no': It wouldn't then matter if people are away because their threads would still be playable (though that would count as 'open threads that carry over', I think.) And not everyone can have a really high rate of activity all the time.

I'm leaning towards 'no' at the moment, experimentally. If we end up with half the characters at the end of July and half the characters still in June, we may have to rethink things.

At the end of the day, there's no system that is a perfect fit for everyone; we just have to go on a 'best-fit' system and hope that people realise it may not be perfect for them, but that it's not likely to really be perfect for everyone else, either.
Terry Button
Terry Button
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Boy, 3rd Class
Number of posts : 1447

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/terry-

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down