Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain

Go down

To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain Empty To Capt. the Hon. John Vickery, 3 Coy, 5/60th Rifles, British Army, Spain

Post  Emma Vickery Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 am

Letter dated 27th July 1809, Pulteny Street, Bath

My dear John,

You will see from the address that we are in Bath. Before you begin to worry about my Mother and Father's healths, allow me to reassure you that we are all quite well. We arrived three days ago and have taken excellent lodgings in Pulteney Street, in a much better house than the one we had in Milsom Street the time you came with us. Mamma was much put out not to be able to secure a house in the Royal Crescent, but as the Cres. is taken by Dukes, Earls, Marquesses and the like, that honour has been denied to us, altho' we walk there very often. The house we have secured is in a very good part of the town, and we can walk to the Pump Room &c altho' my Mother will have the carriage when we are to attend the Assemblies, of course.

The house is quite large and convenient, altho' I cannot approve of the colour of the decoration in the drawing room – it is far too dark altho' it is a pretty room and has so much light in the afternoons. The morning room is very pretty, in a sort of pale Chocolate colour and cream, and the dining room is papered in green with white plasterwork.

We have taken the waters this morning and I suppose that they must be very beneficial for the health as they taste so bad. The waters at Tunbridge Wells are infinitely to be preferred! I find the the Bath buns far more to my liking – they taste very well with a little butter, altho' my mother finds them too sweet as they have such a lot of sugar in, as you know.

I must thank you for the lace you sent. It arrived too late for me to use it on the gown I was making up – a white muslin – but as Mama and I have been shopping for new gowns for this season (she will insist on it, altho' I am sure my dresses have plenty of wear left in them and I have not worn my sage silk above four times since I got it in Town) I am sure that I will be able to make use of it. My mother was very pleased at your choice and believes that no other lady will have such fine trimmings on her gown as Spanish lace. I have a new sprigged muslin and a very pretty yellow sarsenet, which your lace will finish to perfection – I am thinking of adding it around the collar, perhaps. Mama is most pleased with a new claret-coloured velvet which she thinks will make up into a lovely evening gown.

My Father is resigned to spending the season here, altho' he would much prefer to remain at home. He has brought the dogs, however, much to Mama's dismay, altho' they are perfectly well-behaved, as you remember. Robt has been given the use of the house in Town while we are here, so we do not see him. I am sure he will come down for a few weeks, though. He has a new curricle, and its perchase took us all by surprize, as it is far more the sort of equipage that we would expect you to drive. He looks very smart, but I do not think him such a good whip as you are. You were always very clever with horses, after all – you have much lighter hands than does Robt.

We have been to the theatre and will be going to the Upper Rooms tonight. I have not finished making up my new gown, and have not yet decided whether I should wear my sage silk or the yellow sarcenet. If the yellow, I may have just enough time to add your lace to it. The crush in the Lower Rooms was dreadful and I do not expect the Upper Rooms to be any less crowded.

I have subscribed to the Library, altho' I am sure it cannot be as well supplied as Father's library at home, tho' it has a large collection of the Gothick novels. I find them an entertaining diversion, but not as interesting as sitting in the drawing room watching Society pass by. I think that we would see more of society passing if we had our old lodgings, but then Pulteney Street is quiet and genteel and very well-suited for my father's temperament, besides being easier for the carriage when it is needed. Papa goes riding almost every day and it is very convenient for that. His being out so often suits my Mother and her friends, who visit every morning.

If I am to trim my yellow gown, I must close in order to make best use of the light. I remain ever your devoted sister,

Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Emma Vickery
Ship's Cook

Species : Civilian; Lady
Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down