Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

13 June; Morning Muster

+4
Brendan Burke
Edward Torrington
Allhands
John Vickery
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

13 June; Morning Muster - Page 3 Empty Re: 13 June; Morning Muster

Post  John Vickery Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:49 am

"It seems as though it's more than just the dog that Cotton's following," Vickery pointed out, noticing the man's deliberate pause to scan the ground. "Let's just hope it's the right trail after all this, though."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 pm

This certainly was very different from Scottland. If men went missing there, one usually only had to tell a sergeant to find the next hedge tavern, drag the men out of there and dunk them in the river until they were sober enough for punishment.

But as much as he was worried for his batman, Edward didn't deceive himself. The thrill of mystery and danger, the action he could take now himself, were a strong drug. Small wonder some men chose this as their profession. Now that he had a taste of it, he wanted it to last. He just hoped that this feeling was strong enough to carry him through when the realities of war hit him.

When some orders in an unknown voice were suddenly barked behind his back, Edward twisted in the saddle. With raised eyebrows, he turned back to Captain Vickery.

"Either the Guards are missing some people as well, or they have decided on a bit of sight-seeing. I'll inquire."

Suddenly realizing that he had completely forgotten that Captain Vickery was his superior here, he quickly amended: "If that is alright with you, Sir?"
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:16 am

"Hmm." It was possible, of course. He turned in the saddle to see a redcoat behind them. He turned back to Torrington. "Certainly you may." He gave a rueful shrug. "We are both Captains, you know - I do not out-rank you."

The idea that he could outrank a fellow Captain was almost amusing.

Ahead, he could hear the dog barking. "We may have cornered our quarry," he added, dryly.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:48 am

Edward considered this for a moment, then shook his head.

"This is your company, my orders are to hold myself at your disposal, and I fear you take military precedence as well. Not to mention that you probably are more senior."

With a touch to his head, he then turned his horse around and trotted off towards the officer in front of the red-coated contingent following the riflemen. There he wheeled his horse again, saluted and asked:

"Captain Torrington, Sir. Might I inquire whether you are missing someone from your company?"

This was certainly not the most polite phrasing, but Edward hoped that it would produce quick results. He had debated to try a more covered approach, but had decided against it: Even if he managed to get enough information without revealing the cause of their own search, the Guards simply needed to follow and sooner or later they would find out. It was more sensible to find out quickly whether there were additional facts that could shed some light on their current problem before they all together stumbled into an ambush.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:10 am

This was... unexpected. An officer in blue approached, momentarily halting the detachment's progress. He had noted this fellow's presence with Vickery's lot, but did not know him. Accordingly, Blackwood's initial feeling was of suspicion, however mild.

"Blackwood," was the Guards captain's slightly cautious response as he returned the salute. "I am not, sir, but any alarm amongst the Rifles is of interest to me. They being attached to my regiment."

He paused and, despite being tempted to, did not glance back at his men. "May we press on, do you think?"
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Species : Captain; 1/2nd (Coldstream) Guards
Number of posts : 378

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/ben-bl

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:49 am

"Certainly, forgive me."

Edward set Trueno into motion again. He pondered whether it would be appropriate to volunteer the cause for their alarm or rather keep it within the company. He didn't know enough about the man besides him to make a guess how he would react to such an information either, or how his rapport with Captain Vickery was. Opting for caution, he kept to polite conversation.

"I am sorry that I did not present myself to you earlier then. Until further orders, I am attached to the rifle company to survey this region and lend such engineering expertise as might be needed."

Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:06 am

If that was so, it was nice to know about it now, of all times, Blackwood thought dryly. He wondered if Colonel Trevor was aware of this. It was possible. So was the colonel's failing to make such an arrangement known to Blackwood. The dismissive treatment his company had received since that last action was beginning to annoy him.

"An honour then, sir." Now he glanced back at Sergeant Northcut and in a moment the little patrol was in motion again, the collective pace once more very brisk. "You may find ample opportunity to survey with the Rifles, perhaps."
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:12 am

"Likewise, Sir."

Edward offered his hand to the Guards officer. The man did seem a reasonable sort. Polite, and probably not inclined to mock the rifles because they had lost the two boys. His men might be different, but they didn't necessarily need to know. It was perhaps better to take a small risk in telling him what they were about instead of a larger one by letting him go forward into an unknown situation.

In a low voice, Edward said:

"Two young riflemen were found missing at the parade. We do not know what has happened, but it is unlikely that they have deserted."

Better make that clear.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Blackwood Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 am

It was difficult to shake hands when only one of them was mounted and both were moving, but Blackwood made an admirable effort. Courtesies had to be returned, after all.

The engineer's quietly-offered explanation was to the point, but then, he hardly needed to go into much detail. Blackwood understood the problem immediately and for an instant regretted having interfered.

Then he set his jaw. "We would do well to locate them as quickly as possible, then." Before the provosts did.

They had nearly caught up with Vickery and his fellows anyway, and by the look of it, the Rifles officer had caught up with something else.
Ben Blackwood
Ben Blackwood
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 am

"I hope we just did."

Edward reached for his glass, then remembered that he had given it to Vickery. Politeness dictated that he didn't take off at a gallop, but it was a struggle to bow to it.

Trueno, sensing his mood and not liking to be kept at a walking pace, snorted and tried to plunge on, but was held back and settled for shaking his head.

(They arrive here.)
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down