Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there

2 posters

Go down

Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there Empty Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there

Post  François Sevière Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

Now, first off, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section or if I am supposed to limit my questions to strictly our rpg time period but I have run into a vexing issue about British army shako covers.
Im doing research on the Sikh Wars and, as I am a historical miniatures wargamer, I want to paint up a unit of the British 60th Rifles who had some companies in the campaigns. Now in one historical miniatures magazine Ive seen some painted figs with black shako covers for the 60th but all the rest of the Brit headgear seems to consistently have white coverings, cavalry, infantry, and arty - if they are wearing covers, they're white.

That makes a lot of sense to me too as white reflects the sun and wouldn't be as hot while black absorbs heat. I mean why cover a black shako with a black cover? OK, dust I guess but ......

Anyhow I have followed the cbox and know a few of you are really into uniforms and such and thought just maybe you've seen something in a museum or on a website I might not know about on this issue. I did google and really found nothng useful. I'd be grateful for anything - even some better informed opinions than mine!
Thank you.

And finally if I shouldn't have posted this, I am willing to be flogged on the deck of the Terpischore or something of that nature Wink
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there Empty Re: Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there

Post  John Vickery Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am

Hmm. Haven't a clue (but then, I'm not particularly up on stuff outside the Napoleonic era).

You could do worse than check uniform books - your local library may be able to help. Or email the Royal Greenjackets Museum (heck. It's probably The Rifles museum since the last lot of amalgamations).

Sorry I can't be any more help than that; maybe someone else around here can help out.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there Empty Re: Asking for help from a few of you re-enactment uniform experts out there

Post  Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Sorry for late post.
Only info I have is the pictures in Barthorpes book on British Infantry Uniforms. He shows a 60th Rifles private (rifleman) with a black quilted cover and an Officer of the 29th with a white quilted cover for a forage cap. The Rifleman illustration is mentioned as coming from an eyewitness sketch.

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:23 am

Thanks! I've already painted my 60th Rifles guys with a black quilted cover but glad to hear that your book seems to confirm that.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum