Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Preparing to Leave Lisbon

3 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Preparing to Leave Lisbon - Page 5 Empty Re: Preparing to Leave Lisbon

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:17 pm

There was a difference to a reverie in a warm tavern, the belly warmed by good drink, without the mind dulled by opium, with a fire to the side and a low murmur of voices around them, with a comrade most of all, compared to a reverie alone in the darkness. Company chased the darker thoughts away, and while he knew that he would have to confront them soon enough, there was a moment's respite in this. It was similar to the feeling he often had the Jack's great cabin; the lifting of a burden for even the briefest time. And now that the fear of the hard soldier had melted away, he understood that Richard Sharpe was something special and unusual - Wellesley's words had put the idea in his head, and the man's kindness tonight had confirmed it for him.

He did not know how to start the conversation, or even whether he should - even he found it difficult to alienate people without talking to them - so he settled for a hesitant but warm smile when their eyes met.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 pm

He wanted a lot of things, but he wasn't sure he could say them. He might scare her away, and he didn't want that.

"I want to look out for you, if ye'll let me. I'd like you to walk out wi' me, like I said already, but not if'n you don't want to. I want you to be happy." He wanted her to like him, but didn't think he could say that. "Home... I want me folks to know I'm all right. I don't even know if they know I 'listed." And that thought brought a lump into his throat, and he had to look away and swallow.
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Maggie had never stopped to consider that Cotton had a family or a home. It distracted her for a moment. "They don't know?" she asked with surprise, her eyes growing wide. "Why not? Even my old dad knows I'm here, though little he cares."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Species : Camp follower/sutler, 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2337

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/maggie

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Sharpe was a little startled when Stephen smiled at him, and wondered he was thinking about. The conversation had stalled and he didn't know how to restart it without seeming brusque, or dull-witted, or any of a hundred other things he'd been accused of being.

"Sorry. I ain't much of a hand fer small talk, like," he said finally, wrapping his hands around his mug and wondering what else he could say.
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Species : 95th Rifles; Lieutenant
Number of posts : 2686

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/lieutenant-ri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Stephen nodded. "I am not the diplomat of the world myself. Small talk is one of the more difficult things to master. Sometimes I find a dinner more exhausting than a score of operations, if conversation and social graces are expected, as they inevitably are. My godfather despaired of me."

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 pm

It was not a story Cotton liked telling; he'd told Mister Sharpe and Captain Padstowe when they were all slightly the worse for drink. But he felt he ought to tell Maggie.

"I was goaded into a fight wi' Squire's son when I were about twelve, thirteen. He was older'n me by mebbe three or four years, and he had me on the ground when Squire comes past and gives him an earful about fightin'. And he never forgot it, like. So when Squire died and he inherited the estate, he had us turned out. So I went off to the hirin' fair to try to find work. Ended up half leathered in the local tavern with a shillin' in me hand. Never got a chance to tell Dad, or Ma, where I was at. An' I can't write to tell 'em, neither. Not that they c'n read, if I could."

Bother. Now he was feeling miserable. He smiled, a shaky sort of thing, at Maggie. "Can't change what's been done, though."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Sharpe managed a grin at that. "Never learnt any... any social graces." One intimation deserved a reply in kind. "Not the sort of thing you learn in a foundlin' home, that."
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Stephen leant forward, his face one of innocent and polite curiosity. "An orphanage? In England, yes?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:02 pm

"Aye." It was a bit of a blank, bland answer. "It were in Wapping, and I got 'prenticed to a sweep, only I didn't care too much f'r that, and legged it to St Giles."

And if that didn't explain why everyone looked down on him, nothing would. Though maybe it wasn't quite true that everyone looked down on him. He didn't think Padstowe did, or Hogan. And he was starting to have his doubts about how Wellesley saw him... there had been something strange going on when he passed him the telescope...
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:03 pm

What a sad story. Maggie wondered why she had never heard it before. But then, she had primarily known Cotton through Jem, and this wasn't the sort of conversation they would have had back then. She squeezed his arm sympathetically. "But you've done all right for yourself, haven't you?"
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Stephen looked at Sharpe, ignorant and unjudging. He had no idea where Wapping or St. Giles were, or why they should be so significant for the change in Sharpe's tone of voice. "There are in London, I think. Please forgive my ignorance, I have visited London often, but I know next to nothing of England, really."

He took a breath, and began - it was only fair. "I was born in Catalonia, but I was taken straight away to Ireland - to Cahirciveen, or Cathair Saidhbhín in the Irish, in Kerry - and then I returned to Catalonia when I was seven years old." He looked at Sharpe, wondering if he understood what he was saying.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

It was a proper grin this time. "I have that, Maggie, lass. Batman to Captain Vickery. They'd never believe that, back home."

But when had this turned into a conversation about him? "Life's what you make it, lass. Can't change the past. Can only make summat of where you are now. If you want to."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 pm

"I know," she answered quietly. "But what about this family of yours, then. Do you know where they are now? I could help you write a letter - or someone could - and when its sent to them they could find someone to read it to them. Don't you think? How long has it been?"
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Sharpe didn't understand the significance of the repeated mention of Catalonia, though he certainly understood the reference to Ireland. "I'm glad I never went to Ireland," he said. His companion had sounded proud of his heritage, though there was something else there as well, and Sharpe couldn't quite put a name to it.
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 pm

He looked at her, confused, hopeful, pleased, all at once. "You... you would do that f'r me?" There was a lump in his throat again.

How long had it been? He swallowed, and thought for a moment, before counting on his fingers. "Must've been... not quite five years. It were after the harvest afore Trafalgar. The year before, I mean."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

He hadn't. In truth, Stephen was relieved. He knew that Sharpe would never be the sort to look down on a man for illegitimacy - not if he was a foundling, for God's love - but he generally he felt more comfortable with fewer people knowing. Wellesley knew - had found out in the most humiliating way, and he prayed that he would not share the information. Wellesley had every reason to dislike him - Stephen knew that Sir Arthur despised his country of birth, and prefered the officers closest to him to be of good birth, but the man's compassion earlier in the day had melted Stephen towards him.

"I am as well. It would be well for you to visit outside of your professional capacity though - such a green you will not see, Richard, and if you can stand the rain and the mud, there is a lot of natural beauty. Maybe your Sergeant can show you one day. Such a wealth of birds, as well - Ireland is nonpareil for its marine avifauna, you know." He could feeling himself slipping back again, slipping away, but he did not know how to stop, and so he fell silent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm

She laughed a little at Cotton's eager face. "Well of course I would. I'd do it right now if I had some paper and a pen. But when you walk me back, I have some in my stores and you can get it written off and sent home before we leave Lisbon."
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:35 pm

He obviously loved the place, that much was obvious from the tone of his voice as he said the words, whatever the words meant. And he felt clumsy again, untaught, ignorant.

"Mebbe I will, at that. Dunno if I'll go back to London. Ain't nowt there for me, anyways." He shrugged. "Bein' born a bastard does that to you." And now he sounded coarse.

He looked at his hands as they held the mug on the table in front of him. "Sorry. Didn't meant to say that."
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm

That was... that was hasty. Maybe too hasty.

"Lemme think about it first, like." He needed time, to treasure the thought that he could let his family know where he was, and time to think how to say it. There was a suspicious dampness in his eyes, and he wiped them on his sleeve. "'M sorry. I never... never thought I'd be able t'tell them, y'see."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Stephen flinched at the word, an old reflex, his head jerking back slightly as though trying to avoid an invisible blow. And then he looked at Sharpe. At Richard.

"I know." He hid his own hands under the table. "It is a cruel word."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Sharpe shrugged slightly. "It's a cruel world. You can't help where you come from. You just have to make your mind up that it ain't where you're goin' to stay." He moved one hand a little, as if about to indicate himself. "Like I said earlier, I ain't stayed down. Might be a bastard, but I c'n be a right bastard of a soldier an' all."

(OOC - and I'm for bed!)
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm

"It's all right." Maggie knew better than to ask Cotton more questions, but she leaned on his shoulder to convey a sympathizing comfort. It was nice, she realized, having someone to talk to. And she was rather touched that he wanted to talk to her too. Most men she'd met wanted only one thing, and they would use whatever tricks necessary to get it. But while they might play at being sympathetic listeners, none had ever revealed a confidence of his own.

Last edited by Maggie Evans on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maggie Cotton
Maggie Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:07 pm

"I cannot." Stephen looked at Sharpe - he said the word with a kind of pride; it was a barbed insult, but one he twisted to make himself stronger and harder. It had always been the word Stephen felt defenseless against, because any man, however stupid or cowardly or cruel, if legitimate, was in the eyes of society and even the law a better man than that Maturin bastard, than el fill bastard de puta Domanova. But this man had turned the word into his defense.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:40 pm

She leaned her head on his shoulder. That was nice, that was. He was half tempted to put his arm round her, but wasn't sure if that would maybe be going too far. If she wasn't willing to consider herself as more than a friend, then maybe all she wanted was his friendship. He wouldn't withdraw his offer of that, even if he would like her to be his woman.

"I'm fair choked by you sayin' you'd write for me," he said. "Ain't nobody else would do that."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sharpe Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Sharpe looked at him, sitting slightly hunched in his chair, pain written across his face. More than one kind of pain, he thought. "No, mebbe you can't," he said. "But something can only hurt you if you let it."

He thought of the times he'd walked into the Mess to be greeted with sneers and comments along the lines of: "Here comes that whore's bastard who calls himself an officer." He'd shrug, and once he'd managed to reply without threatening to hit the speaker. Something along the lines of "Least I'm honest about it."

It wasn't like his upbringing was a secret; he just didn't discuss it. What was the point? He couldn't change it, and he'd escaped it, as far as possible, in more ways than one.
Richard Sharpe
Richard Sharpe
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next