Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
33rd Foot EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
33rd Foot EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
33rd Foot EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
33rd Foot EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
33rd Foot EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
33rd Foot EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
33rd Foot EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
33rd Foot EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
33rd Foot EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
33rd Foot EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

33rd Foot

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

33rd Foot Empty 33rd Foot

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Great to see the 33rd Foot in this site. One thing that might need attention is that the 33rd (First West Riding of Yorkshire) Regt of Foot had only a single battalion throughout the war so would not have had a 1st Battalion title.
Also, if later muster lists are anything to go on, although it had several officers from Anglo-Irish and Scottish gentry it apparantly only had a handful of lrish recruits (un-usually for a foot regiment in the British army.) It had the vast majority of its recruits from England , many from West Yorkshire textile areas, and other areas such as Notts and Lancs which were connected with textile trades... a lot of these formerly skilled workers pushed out of their livelihoods by the new Industrialisation.
Unit did however recieve an influx of a hundred 'German' recruits in 1814 which probably included various nationalities from the Baltic Coast. They were apparantly 'pressed' men and suffered from a high desertion rate, though around half a dozen were still around for the Waterloo campaign.
One distintive recruit was Pvt John Lewis Friday who was a black soldier who fought as a soldier in a company rather than being a bandsman, drummer or pioneer as was the common lot of many black soldiers.

Back to top Go down

33rd Foot Empty Re: 33rd Foot

Post  Sharpiefan Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 am

A single battalion regiment? Unusual, that. *files that tidbit of information away*

And yes, I know that historically the 33rd weren't involved in the Peninsula. Not their fault, of course. A little Alternative Universe is a wonderful thing...

If you're going to make a character in the Havercakes, beware: We do have a Sergeant Hakeswill around, and he does show up to cause maximum chaos. When he can, or when the game calls for it.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Species : Master Jester
Number of posts : 884

Back to top Go down

Post  François Sevière Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am

One battalion regiments were surprisingly common, I recently saw a list of regiments around the time of the Napoleonic Wars and there were at least 20 with only 1 battalion. It was less likely on the continent though certainly.
François Sevière
François Sevière
Midshipman

Species : Soldat; 86e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Number of posts : 312

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1509-francois-joseph-marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 am

I'm obviously thinking of something else, or much later on in the war. *shrugs*

Never let it be said I couldn't learn stuff. Very Happy
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Sharpiefan wrote:
And yes, I know that historically the 33rd weren't involved in the Peninsula. Not their fault, of course. A little Alternative Universe is a wonderful thing...

Not quite right, arguably the 33rd did more to win the Peninsula War than any other unit !
Their Colonel took part in most of the Peninsula Campaigns up to 1813 (Wellesley/Wellington before he took the RHG Colonel post offered to him by Royalty.. also I believe at least one 33rd officer was on his staff for a while ).

For B.C. fans.. the 33rd also contributed heavily to Wellington's Peninsula victories by making Richard Sharpe a soldier and later an NCO , putting him on the ladder to success !

Last edited by Havercake Lad on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 am

And as a bit of related trivia, the 33rd's light infantry were among the best during the American Revolution.

^__^
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Species : A most Jellicle Cat
Number of posts : 3567

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 am

Keiju wrote:And as a bit of related trivia, the 33rd's light infantry were among the best during the American Revolution.

^__^
Indeed the whole unit could operate effectively in open order during the AWI at a time when this training and concept was only just starting to dawn in the minds of Regular officers again. It was acknowledged as a good, effective Regt by diary writers from other units .. indeed it acquired the nickname 'The Pattern' in this period as it was supposedly what a regt should be in training, organisation and performance.

Last edited by Havercake Lad on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 am

Given the Regiment's location in Spain in StC, this means that the army's CinC, the unit's Colonel, has the power to appoint or ratify (or overule ) positions within the 33rd Foot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:18 am

Few bits of extra 'chrome', re the unit.

I recall reading that some of the 33rd got into fights with soldiers from other units who taunted them (with a falsehood) that they had no actual facing colour as their original facing colour was removed as a punishment after the Regiment disgraced itself through cowardice during a battle !

One ranker (who fought at Seringapatan) and survived Waterloo, Pvt John Riches, might well be an acquaintaince of Richard Sharpe.

Good guide to later uniform in 33rd Foot re-enactment forum
http://www.33rdfoot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 am

The 33rd was to show some aspects of the old 'family' system that characterised some ranker to officer type promotions in 19th C units , but which became rarer outside Highland units as a new century, and institutional snobbery started.
Sergeant Haigh of the 33rd was promoted to officer within the unit, holding the usual supernumery rank typical of many ex-rankers who were not transferred into a Garrison, Veteran or foriegn Unit. However, partly through Wellesley's patronage, Haigh's two sons were able to both become officers in the 33rd and both were able to progress in rank. Sadly Capt John Haigh died at Quatre Bras and his brother, Lieut Thomas Haigh, died a few days later after being wounded at Waterloo.
Similarly two Gore brothers served in the same time with the unit in Graham's North European force and Wellingtons army in Belgium (the younger died at Quatre Bras). Other relationships in the 33rd included two brothers-in-law ( Orrok and Reid) who were actually related to Lt Col Gore ( probably a relative to the two Gore brothers mentioned ) .

I'm digressing.. but pointing out that the social strata in a military unit could be more flexible than sometimes given credit for in reference works or fiction. It also shows a human side to The Duke.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 am

The present location of the whole of the army in StC is in Portugal. Smile

Pardon me for the unrelatedness, and any possible misunderstanding!

Speaking of Sharpe however, could one not say that he could have joined any of the number of regiments, given a chance to see them 'first'? Ie. that the 33rd are the fortunate ones/or perhaps unfortunate, as they gain much fame in the world of Sharpe as the 'home' of Hakeswill the beloved sergeant. Wink.

Again forgive the unrelated note factor.

Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 am

33rd is probably not the luckiest home for troublemakers who are unfortunate enough to stand out.. unit was certainly into flogging looking at the later war documents.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 am

I suppose I was alluding to the fact that two player characters officers could easily be in the same Regiment.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 am

That reminds me of that saying (naval, but it fits) Floggins will continue till the morale improves. Smile

Which officers are you speaking of? Ah, and we do have some former 33rds. Few present, but considering the interest in the pres. regiment. Is it the one you are considering to create a character in?
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:46 am

Not sure I would re-create myself..(Pvt -348 White ) immaculate turn out, though nearing discharge unless he procures a servant post. Constantly with a mug full of tea or something stronger in the evenings..... Though a 33rd character would be appealing, given my love for the unit; I will probably be considering creating a subaltern character for another infantry unit next month.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:06 am

Privates are not expected to carry watches in this unit,.. it is probably a sign of looting or gambling. Plus what officer wants a private to be able to contradict him regarding the time he private is considered late etc !

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 am

I will be sticking with the Dirty Half Hundred, me. (So called from the black cuffs, which left dye on the men's faces when they wiped their foreheads on their sleeves. For some reason the officers preferred the nickname The Old Black Cuffs. Can't think why...)

Also. I play Richard Sharpe on the board. I really should get him out more often. Probably.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 am

White facings are my preferred lot, if we're on that topic. But I'm flexible and have more or less been pressed into the 50th anyway!
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 am

halo whistle
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:23 am

Sharpiefan wrote:I will be sticking with the Dirty Half Hundred, me. (So called from the black cuffs, which left dye on the men's faces when they wiped their foreheads on their sleeves. For some reason the officers preferred the nickname The Old Black Cuffs. Can't think why...)

Also. I play Richard Sharpe on the board. I really should get him out more often. Probably.
Hmm.. one of BC's most noticeable errors in the very first line of a novel ...referred to 50th Foot as Dirty half Hundred in 'Sharpes Prey' before they earned the nicknme in a a campaign after the Danish incident.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 am

As far as I'm aware, they got the nickname in 1801 in Egypt - along with 'The Blind Half-Hundred' because of the numbers that went down with ophthalmia during the Egyptian campaign.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:44 am

I had not come across that particular nickname before, thanks .

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

You're welcome! Very Happy
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Keiju Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am

Ophthalmia was the culprit behind that particular nickname, by the by. I'd imagine that other regiments serving in Egypt were afflicted by it as well, unless the 50th alone were simply that sort of unlucky.
Keiju
Keiju
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharpiefan Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

Keiju! You need some sleep - I'd already mentioned the ophthalmia! :p

The 50th just got the nickname - or were the only regiment that kept it afterwards. Though The Dirty Half-Hundred is the most well-known nickname of theirs.
Sharpiefan
Sharpiefan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next