Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
June 1 - Walking Back EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
June 1 - Walking Back EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
June 1 - Walking Back EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

June 1 - Walking Back

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

June 1 - Walking Back Empty June 1 - Walking Back

Post  outis Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am

(continued from this thread)

“Do not worry about him.” Reaching into his coat, Le Bras pulled out a chunk of bread and bit off a sizeable mouthful, “Mhngrh?”
outis
Commander

Species : Sofa Monster
Number of posts : 1700

Back to top Go down

June 1 - Walking Back Empty Re: June 1 - Walking Back

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:33 am

Pye watched as a few of the breadcrumbs stole their way past the man's mouth, onto his shirt and his coat and then fell to the floor, unhindered. A very quiet chirp from under his coat reminded him that there was a small being who would have wanted that crumb and who would soon demand much of it or else starve. "..I don'.. think that Bright 's ter be..trusted." He murmured his eyes on the floor. "...not couse he'd help us. But he'd certainly help hisself." He shrugged with a faint frown, seeing another little crumb land on the ground.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Species : British Riflemen; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2694

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/zachar

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:48 am

“I said,” Le Bras repeated, ignoring the comment about Bright, “Are you hungry?”
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

"..Me?..yes. Yes please." Pye perked up almost as if Le Bras had told him that they were all free to go. Even his eyes seem to appear livelier and his gaze brighter. Would he have been a dog, his tail would have caused a proper wind whirl. Bread did not only mean food for himself, but for the small ball of fluff too.

He looked embarrassed and dropped his gaze then, in shame. He shuffled uneasily and continued to try and keep pace with the other man. He did appear more timid and perhaps more like his old self, when he still feared the short balding man who talked to his hat as if his mother was in it.

"..'d like to." He murmured more subdued.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 am

Le Bras grinned. Tearing off a chunk of the bread, he held it up. "Le. Pain." he said, slowly and clearly, "Say it."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 pm

There was no better motivation to teach the boy anything, than food. The lad watched the bit of bread, hesitated then repeated it the first time. Only the first time it sounded more like the sort of laplan. Zachary however did not wait to be told he had butchered the word. He repeated it again. Awkwardly at first and then the third time he hoped that l'pan was a good way to say it. "Bread?" He asked. That's what Le Bras meant, right? To repeat the French word for bread!
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:05 pm

"Oui!" Le Bras' grin broadened and he dropped the bread into the boy's hands, "Yes. Bread."
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 pm

"Oui. L'pan." The boy replied eagerly. He brought the piece he was given quickly to his mouth to bite a chunk of it. He would not eat it all. No. The bread would be stored away for later. But a few bites would not hurt. "Merv..." What did he hear the French say, when they had said thank you. Mervi..Mers...Marsea? Mercy? He tried each and studied Le Bras to see if any of those might clear the man's face for that distinct feeling of recognition.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 pm

"Mer - ci," he repeated, then inclined his head at the boy, "De rien."

Last edited by outis on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:13 pm

"Mer si." The lad repeated. "Mer se..si." He said again with more confidence. He tore of a bit of his bread and stuck it into his pocket. There was another unhappy chirp, though there was atleast one crumb that had happened to fall onto his shirt and then further under his coat. Only, it excited the little bird, but hardly made her fed. Pye cleared his throat and then focused on the next word. "De rien?" " What was De Rien for? "...wot's... wot's de rien?"

He did not know. Merci and....wait, if it was in any relation to the first, it could even be a response to it. "You're welcome?" He hesitated. Or was it: "...Don' mention it?" No, that was too long. "Is' nothing?" Hm, but was it really any of those.He hesitated, grinned and added. "...wot's..wot's any curses in French?" Because curse words were the easiest to remember!
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

“Yes! Like ‘it is nothing’.”

At the second question Le Bras laughed out loud. Good lad. That was, after all, one of the most important things to learn -- after the words needed to find food and women. “Merde,” he said, after thinking a moment, “Shit.”
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm

"Merd'.. Merde." The lad continued and liked how the r seemed to roll when he said it. He grinned and bashfully and unashamedly repeated the word again. "Merde!" He was quite entertained by that. It meant shit. So he was told.

"Don't sound nothing like English." Which was something obvious and expected in Pye's opinion. If French sounded like English, he would not have trouble understanding it! "Merde!" He repeated again with a broad grin. He liked that word for the sound of it.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 am

Le Bras grinned and cocked his head to one side, thinking. "Ah, yes, bâtard. It is like your English word. Bastard?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 am

It was not hard to remember that word, nor to repeat it. It appeared to entertain Pye immensly as well, his demanour more relaxed though he ought to have had it stiff and controlled. " This'un is easy. S' not too differen' than our own. We say bastard , aye. You must've 'eard it from many o' our own.. if they was British." He hesitated. "...dunno how many people that'd be...but.. some do cross over."

He gave it a shrug: "...Do ye fear your officers?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 am

"Eh..." he shrugged, "It depends on the officer, I think. I have had some officers who were not good men, but not fearful - no, fear...some? - I did not fear them. Maybe if I did something very bad, then I might." He shrugged again. "We have a new lieutenant, he seems alright. I think our sergeant is more...." Damnit, there was that word again. "How do you call a person who makes others to fear?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

"intimidatin'..." The lad answered thoughtful. "..s' one way ter call 'em. Can't call 'em fearless.. mebbe fearful..but it can quickly turn ter be used wrong. That'un. "He shrugged. "...yer think yer sergeant s' got more reason t' have you fear 'im than yer leiutenant?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 pm

“You would not ask that if you knew our sergeant,” Le Bras chuckled. “He is not a man who one wants to make angry.”
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 am

"I've had a sergeant like that." He paused. "...He was a downright blackguard." When soldiers talked to soldiers all was swell, it was the officers one would not talk with in such fashion. "He'd fancy your girl or something you had n'.. he'd make sure you was flogged all till yer lass gave in, or .." He shrugged lightly. "well.. he knew how t' get 'round officers right perfect, and knew how ter get t' soldiers do 'is biddin'." Now, he had to take a deep breath, so much that he'd said. He blushed as red as the tattered remains of his collar.

"m' sorry. You said.. yours was bad? but if you do right around him, he's leavin' you alone, is he? Is 'e French? Do any o' t'...them like Bright get ter more n' soldiers?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm

"I did not say that he is bad. Only that it is not good to make him angry. He is..... big, strong," he aimed a mock punch at the boy's head, "He makes one... how do you say it? He studies one a lesson."

"He is French, oui," he nodded, but frowned in confusion over the final question, "What do you say? More than soldiers?"
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Pye ducked before he realised that the Frenchman was only playing. He laughed merrily both at his error and at this unexpected act of Le Bras. "I see. He teaches one a lesson." He looked proud to have been able to teach the other man something of the Language himself.

"N' then yer learn from it." He added, before becoming yet again thoughtful. "I meant t' say...is there.. can even British soldiers become officers , do you think? In your army I mean. In ours us common can be.. mehap sergeants or summat like that. Not much higher n' it though." He shrugged. "Ain't noble born n' rich enough fer it." He grinned at that and added with a pause: "But..mus' be better 'mong fellow rifle.. soldiers n' being all alone up there, no?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:42 pm

"In the French army, any soldier can to become an officer," explained Le Bras proudly, "Though... I do not know about the deserters. I think it is possible. Why? Do you desire your own company?"

The boy's last comment answered his question and Le Bras heartily agreed. "Much better." A man of limited ambition, he could think of little less appealing than the prospect of isolation and increased responsibility which came with a commission.
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 am

"Much better." He nodded and smiled, feeling quite relaxed even if his broken fingers still throbbed with pain, and he was tired. He was not hungry however and his chick would not be hungry once he was left more with himself and out of the direct sight of the French. "Couldn't have a company, not rich." He said with a shrug. "or o' t' right blood." He reasoned though he fell back on what Le Bras said and what he had heard from the French before. "...s' not true just about every common man can be an officer though, is it?... like. ..even if yer smart or have wot' an officer needs t' have....that surely can't be enough!"

He looked on and thought briefly and then more quietly he added. "...Will I need t' talk with an officer....'bout...that?"
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 am

“Our lieutenant was a soldat first,” Le Bras retorted, “It is better, no? That men become the officers because they have the good qualities?”

The boy’s last question struck him as a bit premature. It wasn’t even guaranteed that he would be permitted to enlist, let alone earn promotions. But perhaps he had misunderstood. “What do you say? Talk to an officer about what?”
outis
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary Pye Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:53 am

"..I was tole that men can't be officers couse.. they's not got t' proper breeding. Though we have one who's an officer but came from t' ranks. Well not we.. t' other riflemen do. ...though...." He bit his lip and silenced himself.

He only spoke again to reply to Le Bras's question and even then he had to hesitate first to make his words simple and easy to understand. "...Do I need to talk to an officer if ..i'd like to uh.. join. So they get to know that. Or do you talk with them?" He tried to appear eager and yet not too eager. Should he have appeared as the latter he might end up suspicious and that was the last thing he had wanted or needed.
Zachary Pye
Zachary Pye
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  outis Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 am

"I do not know. I told you that I will ask my sergeant. And I will."
outis
Commander