Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Running an Errand - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Running an Errand

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Running an Errand - Page 2 Empty Re: Running an Errand

Post  Guest Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Williams grinned. He had seen enough floggings in his time with the Inniskillings, and the occasional hanging - more than in some other regiments, he knew. But on the other hand...

"I wouldn't say that the officers were mad for the triangle. I've been let off with stoppage of pay - or less - for offences that would get a man flogged elsewhere. But the lads are - Well, those that aren't Irish are Scots - Scots-Irish some of them, and they fight with anyone. Fight themselves if they were in solitary. Particularly when there's drink involved. So there's more than our fair share of floggings. But a well-behaved lad like you, who doesn't get into fights or steal - you should be in no danger. The 33rd are a right nasty bunch - from the officers down. Well, we've seen them." He hesitated. "That makes it less likely that they'd put you there. The general might be an officer, but he wouldn't want his Rifles flogged to death for doing their job!"

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Cotton didn't think everyone in the 33rd was as bad as Hakeswill, but he hadn't had any real contact with them one way or the other. It just didn't make sense for the Army to have a whole Regiment of bad apples.

Yes, he kept his own nose clean, but he wasn't in the army because of a run-in with the law. Besides which, he had a good position as officer's batman, and didn't intend risking it for a bit of stupid fun.

"Just because a man don't fight or steal or what-all else don't mean he won't get in trouble. And it's none so easy to work out ahead of time whether you'm in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just tryin' to help a body can get you in trouble, if you ain't careful." And Cotton was one of those people who did help others, without thinking twice about it. "Got in one or two scrapes fr'm doin' that, even since joinin' the Rifles. Just didn't get in enough trouble to face the cat."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Species : 5/60th Rifles; Captain's servant
Number of posts : 4145

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/rifleman-gabr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:58 pm

"Next time I see an officer being attacked, I will avert my eyes and pass by on the other side," Williams responded. "But you've got to have some fun, and make a few mistakes, or you're not living at all. I've come close - not just that business the other day - and been sure that this time I was for the cat. But so far, I've come through with my back whole."

He wondered what sort of scrapes the lad had been in. He'd run through a fair sized list of minor infringements, but he'd been lucky, sailing close to the wind with his cheek and grin, and getting off with extra drill, or long hours on duty when he should have been out, having a drink.

"Don't take worries on until they arrive," he said. Cotton looked as if he expected to be flogged to ribbons the moment he was attached to a proper Regiment. "Your officer won't let them touch you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

"He's a good'un, is Captain Vickery," Cotton repeated. "Only time I knew a lad in our company to get flogged was back afore Christmas, when Rifleman Chester was caught sleepin' on guard duty. Could've been shot for that, of course. He shifted to another Company after, and I ain't seen him for a bit, now."

He grinned. "Mostly we've had stoppages of rum, or pay - once, someone got both. Can't remember what he'd done to piss the Captain off, though, but there it was. Or somethin' out o' the ordinary, like the women's caps and the privies. Most I ever had was stoppage of rum and an extra guard."
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am

Williams nodded to the package Cotton had laid on the table. "And if I were you, I wouldn't risk coming back late smelling of brandy. You may need to keep on your Captain Vickery's good side, since he's got one." He lifted the bottle. "If you're free this evening, we could finish this at our leisure."

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Cotton Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 am

"I don't intend comin' back late, smellin' of brandy or not," Cotton said. He wasn't sure if Captain Vickery had any plans for that evening, or, if he did, whether they involved Cotton's presence. It he was eating in the Officers' Mess again, Cotton could probably slip away once he had everything ready for the morning.

"An' i don't know if I will be free this evenin'. But if I am, where c'n I meet you?"
Gabriel Cotton
Gabriel Cotton
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 am

"Here would be a good place," Williams said. No point in picking somewhere like the square where they had met - he was not going to stand around waiting just in case Cotton could get away. On the other hand, he enjoyed the lad's company, and it was less likely to lead to aggravation. He still felt as if he was on a warning. This place seemed to be quiet, at least at this time of day. "And don't worry if you can't make it. I'll have a drink, find a girl maybe and ... Well, just don't worry about me."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2