Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
18th late afternoon/ early evening. EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

18th late afternoon/ early evening.

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

18th late afternoon/ early evening. Empty 18th late afternoon/ early evening.

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 am

They had finally stopped moving, Sildete was pleased to note, and she settled her hair and clothes firmly, smiling at herself. They'd be busy soon enough, but now was a brief lull in activity and she was pleased to take advantage of it.

Stepping out briskly she walked until she had left her usual companions, moving to where she hadn't been before. Plenty of horses and men nearby, but horses were always a good conversation starter at the very least.
She affected interest in several, standing near to them, but not so near she would get nipped, should they go in for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Sildete on Thu May 14, 2009 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

18th late afternoon/ early evening. Empty Re: 18th late afternoon/ early evening.

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 am

They've unsaddled their horses, had been busy with the cleaning, and some had already gone to feed their stomachs before they would have to return to their preparations for the events that were soon, all too soon, to take place.

Willoughby stood by Herrero, his spotted horse looking not too different than those to left and right of him, atleast what his behavour was concerned. He seemed to be in a rather calm mood, which had his rider quite happy. Most of the horses have already been fed and some have been watered, while others awaited their turn.

There were men that sat together in pairs or circles, and bit down at their rations, glad for the moment's respite.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Species : Cornet, 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
Number of posts : 3280

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/timothy-willo

Back to top Go down

18th late afternoon/ early evening. Empty Re: 18th late afternoon/ early evening.

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 am

Of course, they were already pairing off, or moving in groups, and she looked around for a man who hadn't done so yet. There was one, standing further away than she had noticed before. His horse, at first glance, looked the same as everyone elses, though as she sauntered towards him, smiling at men she passed, she realised it was...spotted.
Strange, but she would not judge a man by the coat of his horse, and she smiled brightly at him as she appeared nearby, hoping to catch his attention.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 am

"There, all done with you." Willoughby spoke stroking the horse's nose gently. Herrero raised his head with an air of superiority, swatting his tail at his side. His ears followed the sounds around him, from the chatter of men to the snorting of a few horses further down the line.

He was chewing at the hay that had been piled before him, and had one front leg resting on the edge of the hoof, looking fairly relaxed considering the commotion.

He lifted his gaze just in time that he saw a girl, not unlike the many camp followers, flash him a smile. He blinked and glanced over his shoulder, expecting full certain to spot a man behind him, whom the lovely lass was just greeting.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 am

This man was clearly competent with a horse, although as it was his job she wasn't surprised. She could see him speaking gently to the creature, although what he was saying was so quiet she couldn't make it out.
And they spoke in funny ways to their mounts anyway, she had discovered.

He was a shy one, too, glancing over his shoulder as though she was smiling at someone else. Slowly she moved towards him, setting her feet down as softly as you could in the uneven ground.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 am

There were two men further from him, but both seemed occupied in conversation, and one had his back towards the girl, while the other sat so that it would be his shoulder, she would have seen first. Neither looked in their direction.

He turned around, his hand on the horse's neck where it was stroking against the soft, brushed fur to the animal's liking.

He had dropped his gaze and felt that he might've even only imagined it, till, with his eyes raised again, he saw her approaching. Herrero turned his head slowly towards the woman and snorted, clearing his nostrils.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 am

The animal snorted but she continued. Maybe he wasn't as shy as he pretended, but she would find out either way.

He was tending to that horse as if his life and happiness depended on it. Of course, his life might well do. But for happiness...surely there was a reason he wasn't sitting with the others?
Mentally she brushed the thought aside. What if there was? She could always leave...
"Good afternoon, sir."

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 9:17 am

He smiled shyly, greeting the girl with a light nod: "Good afternoon, miss." She wasn't an English girl though he had seen a share of camp followers to know that it was rather normal. "But, do not call me sir, miss. I'm just a trooper, a private."

Herrero moved to stand firmly on the ground, all four hooves as they should be, neither light with his weight. Why could she have been there?

"Have you,.. have you lost your way Miss?" He asked politely, thinking it were a fair reason why she was there. He shifted on his feet a little, not quite sure what else he could say.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 9:24 am

"Of course, trooper. I am always forgetting."
Sometimes they liked to be greeted with a sir, a suggestion she thought they were more than they were. Clearly this man wasn't one of those types.

"I don't think i've lost my way back...But I have not seen this so many horses before. Often all I see is the men. So you are the men who ride everywhere, I think?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am

"We are the 15th Hussars, yes. Miss." He decided to avoid the long name which would do possibly nothing but confuse and add little to the understanding.

"All of the men you see here." He motioned to the ones, of whom some had had their pelisses or dolmans already by their side, for it wasn't a cold evening and afternoon at all.

He smiled awkwardly, and looked at his horse, then at the girl for he'd thought it impolite to do otherwise. "They are ..the cavalry yes. The horse riders."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 9:39 am

"the 15th hussars." she smiled a little Hussar was such a funny sound, the way they said it.

he seemed somewhat twitchy and she wondered why, but maybe he truely thought there was another man hanging about?
"How about you tell me about them? If you have finished brushing your horse?" she smiled a welcoming smile, trusting he would take her up on the idea.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 am

"About them?" Was it the men, the 15th Hussars? The silence wasn't any way to act before a lady, but saying something stupid wasn't either.

"Finished brushing the horse.. that I have." He said quickly. He looked at Herrero, who didn't seem as
if he'd had enough yet, but his coat was brushed clean and the saddle
was left propped up.

"Yes." He confirmed and smiled. "What would you like to know?" Now, that was a fine way to avoid saying something foolish while at the same time inquiring what exactly the lovely, sweet lass was asking about.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am

"How about you tell me what you do, when you aren't just trotting forwards on your so- fine horses? You are the first to charge, or you run messages up and down the line, or you scout or...?"
She had learned the at first unknown english words from various other footsoldiers, and wasn't sure which ones applied to hussars.

She moved closer to him, going to stand next to him. Maybe they could sit down at some stage, too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Wed May 13, 2009 6:59 pm

" Well, the role of a Hussar is not just one. We do scout ahead sometimes, and we charge first when we are so ordered. We've had victories fought and won just by the cavalry doing most of the work, and the 15th Hussars! As fine men as you can ever get!" He said humbly but proudly and smiled.

"I have run messages yes, but then.. I wasn't with my regiment at t' time, Miss." He saw her come closer, and tried to remember that girl who had had him so dearly drunk in the tavern. Never trust a lass, though this one seemed quite harmless.

It didn't make him feel any less a fool though, when used to act about the men - and even that often not too finely - and having had little to do with the camp follower's lasses. " Oh.. would you like to sit." There were standing there by the horse, and he doubted she'd wanted to see how Herrero was, from all around. The animal did embarrass him slightly - not the best look to impress anyone.

"Him. He's a fine horse, does excellent in danger, miss. Fast and strong and he doesn't scare quickly. Which is very impotant in a horse , having to...." He was explaining her the ways of a horse with such excitement right till he realised it was probably a terrible bore to a lass.

"...You, ..if I may ask, when have you joined us?"
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 am

She had been smiling and nodding along, both mildly intereted and mildly bemused at the information and the enthusiasm.
They certainly sounded as if they led full and busy lives. And important no doubt.

She nodded his agreement to sit, taking a few steps across closer ot the circle that was forming, and latched onto one piece of information.
"You lost your..." before realising it probably wasn't the best thing to talk about, "Sorry. I join you...let me see. I join not that long ago, when you are all at Coimbra, where I am visiting. Maybe you remember?" But maybe he didn't, either, memories blanked out by drink, after all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu May 14, 2009 7:26 am

"Coimbra? Yes, I do remember." Having gotten drunk, terribly drunk there. He remembered the place alright in not remembering much of one evening.

"You were visiting Coimbra, you say? Where are you from then?" He asked even if his knowledge of the towns, villages and cities didn't much surpass that of a common trooper. He sat beside her still looking a bit awkward.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 7:29 am

"Oh, I'm from Oporto, but it is some time since I was there. I have no need, you know, to be there all the time. So I went to see an old friend, and..." she smiled up at him, suggesting at least one reason for following the army along.

"Did you like it there?" she managed to say it with no more than a hint of a leer, with no undertones present at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu May 14, 2009 7:50 am

"In the army? Yes." He smiled and nodded. "It's a different life, I admit." He looked at the girl then quickly dropped his gaze.

"And yourself?... pardon for not asking before, but do you accompany a man with our army? " He wouldn't have wished to be the cause of her trouble if she did.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 am

he really seemed to mean all the dropped gazes, all the modesty. Idly she wondered how he normally found his women, unless, of course, he wan't after women at all...in which case she could always take his purse and go. Although he was very nice. She could happily see him again.

"No. There is no man in the army who is looking out for me, if that is what you mean. I talk to them, some of them, but that is all." she tried a sadder smile, looking down at her hands.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 am

"Oh, I am very sorry to hear that." He spoke and he looked to genuinely mean it. What could he say. If he were to ask whether she needed help it could be too forward and disrespectful, at the same time saying nothing could as well be wrong.

He chose to take a chance in a different direction and took her hand gently in his.
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 am

He really was just a nice young man, feeling for a woman all alone in the world. either that or the best actor she'd ever met.

Gently she squeezed his hand and smiled at him, a sadder, tight lipped smile. "You are most kind. I had a husband once...but now, he is dead, and we had no children." plenty of time to find another man though, she was surely young enough.

Shaking some of the mood off, she added, "Are you a good actor?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu May 14, 2009 8:10 am

" I'm sorry." He murmured. There was never a light thing to loose someone one held dear, and this girl looked as if she had not yet forgotten her own love. Sad and alone, the poor dear.

Actor? " He looked at her startled, confused. That was an odd question to ask a soldier.

"I'm a soldier, Miss. Not an actor."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 8:12 am

"I was just wondering. I heard someone mention that sometimes, when there is time, people put on plays. I would much like to see one. If you were an actor, you would maybe no whether there was any chance of that happening soon?" She didn't mention the other rumours- of battle- for they each had heard plenty of those, no doubt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Timothy Willoughby Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 am

"There might be some I guess. But for that we'd need both time and place. I doubt we shall have any till we are settled in one spot for more than a day, miss. Should I hear some of it though, I am sure to inform you." He stood again. "Would you care for some tea, Miss. That is if.. it's not too forward to ask."
Timothy Willoughby
Timothy Willoughby
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 am

She smiled, contented at that. Often, she had heard, these were amusing snippets of life, or based on a play well known. So some of it would be lost on her, but it would provide a more than amusing evening out. "Thankyou. And I would like some tea, please."

she felt she should adress his worry, about politeness, so smiled at him again, "I do not think it is rude. You are asking me how best to make me feel comfortable, yes? That is polite, I should think."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next