Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Riflemen to the front of the column

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 Empty Re: Riflemen to the front of the column

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:44 am

"Because his wife had not forgiven him for the death of her daughter. And ..." Harris smiled at the bright face that was equally engrossed in the old tale, and alert to any movement on the hillside. "She had taken a lover - another man. After ten years, that's not surprising." And Agamemnon had hardly lived like a monk.

Back to top Go down

Riflemen to the front of the column - Page 8 Empty Re: Riflemen to the front of the column

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 am

Carty felt the story beginning to get away from him. "Agamemnon daughter is sacrifice?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 pm

"That's right. The High King - Agamemnon - sacrificed his own daughter, so that he could sail to Troy." To retrieve his brother's wife from the man she had run away with. It could make sense - probably as much sense as the Irish myths.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:47 pm

"Where is Troy? It take many days going Troy?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 pm

It took ten years coming back, for Ulysses anyway. But did anyone say how long it had taken to go? How long would it take? And where did they sail from? Aulis, of course, he remembered, but where Aulis was...

"Not as far as from England to Portugal, but it would be a very long way to row, with so many ships and soldiers."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Carty nodded with an air of comprehension. "Homer has strong words about fighting?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 pm

[OOC: I wish I had War Music. by whom I have now forgotten... It was strong words about fighting, but modern words. I need to find something that he could quote - stripping Patrokles (for Achilles' armour of course), and dragging Hector till he disintegrates. Carty will like that, but Harris will fumble in his pack, because his literate memory isn't as good as Carty's or Homer's

Later possibly when I get up. It might be a Rieu translation, but it's OLD. Though I could have detoured through Clytemnestra without needing to pick up a book, except to spell Aegystheos]

[Hugs and have a happy holiday.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:20 pm

[Just a side note: Lt. Jaeger watches Harris' and Carty's progress here]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 pm

Harris made a move as if to take off his pack, but Carty went still. "I think I hear..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:24 am

Harris froze, slipping the strap back and taking a grip on the rifle which he had leaned against his knee. His eyes, which for a moment had been inwardly seeing the plains of Troy, and the chariots wheeling, returned to the hillside in Portugal, with trees that barely deserved the name of oak.

He listened, trying to hear something over the sound of crickets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:35 am

Not quite a ramrod sliding against metal, not quite the shifting of a foot against long grass... it was gone, if it had ever been there at all, Carty thought as he strained to hear it again. "I only think, Harris," he said worriedly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 am

"Which way?" Harris breathed. It was probably a goat, or a branch creaking from age... It would be good practice, anyway. No one would thank them if they raised the alarm over a rabbit, and they had to investigate. He checked his rifle, to make sure it would fire if needed - warning and defence.

Harris smiled at Carty and nodded, spreading his hand in the gesture to mean they should approach the 'target' separately.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 am

Carty closed his eyes, trying to remember exactly... He lifted a hand, and pointed to his left, slightly downhill. He opened his eyes again, and nodded at Harris' gesture.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:56 am

The hillside did not provide much cover between them and the sparse trees. But Harris kept low, leaning back into the hill to take advantage of the clumps of dried grass, and thin bushes that would at least break up his shape, if there was anything down there. The trees' shadows were not so long now, and the sun was behind them, though reflecting from the light sand, and the rocks ... Harris blinked, trying to penetrate the darkness under the trees, and then glanced across at his partner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 am

Carty, the youngest of five siblings, was quite used to hiding in the grass or behind rocks and moving swiftly at the same time - he practically slithered. But seeing Harris' glance in his peripheral vision he made the same mistake he always did, and stuck his head up over his sheltering rock to see his partner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:12 am

Harris mouthed a forceful reminder at him - he would fill in the words Carty did not know later. But the fact that no one had taken a shot at him was reassuring. At either of them. If anyone was in that thicket, they were being quiet.

He waited, but there was no movement, though the sounds of crickets, from the grass and from the trees, was louder. Eventually he started forward again, knowing that Carty would be at his flank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 am

Carty saw Harri's expression and winced as he remembered, ducking low again. He followed his partner, guarding with his rifle at the ready, and was now quite certain that he had imagined the noise.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 am

A quick glance back to make sure that Carty was there and Harris made a run for the thicket, crouched low. If there was anyone there...

He dropped at the side of an overgrown bush, and let his eyes adjust. Nothing, except a plop! as one of last year's olives - uncollected from this untended grove - dropped into the leaf litter. He got to his feet and moved between the trees, startling a bird that rattled out of one of the ancient trees with a mournful cry. No thing else. He emerged from the other side of the bush to beckon Carty to join him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:58 am

Carty, tense and focused, started as the bird flew away with a low caw, and then remembered to breath as Harris emerged again. He went to his partner, keeping low still, a shy expression on his face.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:05 am

Harris aimed a friendly blow at him, before he came within reach. "Keep your head down or you'll lose it. Otherwise, you are very good at this." He jerked his head towards the thicket. "I don't think anyone has been here for some time. But it is better to be safe."

He listened for a moment. Below and behind them the Second Division would be marching in its own dust. This was better. But better yet not to be distracted. Homer could wait until they took a break.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:09 am

Carty ducked and nodded, shamefaced. "Sorry. I say only think hear but more good to..." He looked up at Harris, hoping for reassurance, then shook himself. He was a Rifleman, not a little boy. "More good being sure. Is better to be safe."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 am

"I agree. We should always go and look. It was my fault too: I wasn't paying attention." Another olive dropped, this one striking the frame of an old barrow, and rolling down it. Harris twisted, then grinned at Carty. "I'd have investigated that, if I'd heard it."

It was going to be a hot day. They would miss the shade once they'd left it. "Come on, lad. Back to our patrol."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 am

Carty nodded soberly, but felt slightly buoyed - better to make sure, and Harris said he would have done the same. Better, he thought as he stood. More good is better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 am

They started to climb back up to their vantage point, following the line of an old irrigation channel, slanting across the hillside. Even now there was moisture, and the sound of water trickling between stones invisible beneath grass that was visibly greener, and plants that smelled sweet as they trod on them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8