Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

5 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 Empty Re: Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:14 pm

"She was a recent purchase, still being brought to understand. I have my eye on her myself. As horses are hard to find here, we will unable to replace any of them."

Waldegrave pointed up the paddock. "His lordship - Colonel Edrington was demonstrating an Austrian rifle - over there.

[OOC - but you cannot change threads - the Girandoni is still going on and Cotton will leave there before being here...]

[And another OOC - Goodnight!]

Last edited by Lieutenant Waldegrave on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

Back to top Go down

Training Day - Meeting Riflemen - Page 4 Empty Re: Training Day - Meeting Riflemen

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:21 pm

George decided to ease up a little, for he hoped to succeed in buying Bella, despite Waldergave wishing her for himself. He would have Fernao ask around for a decent horse: Spain was just over the border and perhaps there was an Andalusian like his own Firebird to be had.

Managing a thin smile, George nodded. 'Thank you liuetenant' Including Jaeger in his farewell, Hunter departed to find Edrington.

[OOC: allright, thanks. And good night!]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 am

Jaeger had listened to the exchange with growing disbelief. As soon as the Captain was safely out of earshot he turned to Waldegrave:
"Why would he want to buy that horse? It is the one which had the, erm, accident, isn't it? And you can't be too fond of it, either."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:06 am

Waldegrave watched the Captain go, with a frown, until Jaeger's words brought him back. "I don't know. Although she is a pretty thing. She was a damned nuisance when I took her back to our lines." He grimaced. "She needs some bad habits training out of her, but... I suppose the Colonel might decide to sell her, if he can get a good price. He will be doing a favour for the staff, after all."

He smiled at the Rifleman. "Do you ride? I mean, can you?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 am

"Well, not fancy like the cavalry, but I can ride." a shrug. "And I can march. And crawl through bushes. And swim rivers. And I can be colourfully seasick on one of those infernal boats thet brought us here," he said with a shy smile.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:37 am

"One wouldn't want to ride like the cavalry!" Waldegrave said. "And you march faster than we do. But I could crawl through a bush - although there would be little point." He smiled and then asked: "Were you seasick? How wretched. It was pretty foul down below on the way out, but I was all right. I'd not been to sea before though, and I was very worried before we started. You must have come across the Atlantic, though."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 am

"We did. Well a lot of us. We are not really an british regiment, there are germans, swiss and a lot of american colonists of very mixed heritage. I'm a loyal american, but my parents are german. And to add to that we recruited in England after last years battles. "

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Waldegrave raised an eyebrow. "A loyal American? Loyal to the King, I hope too, since you fight for him. Or do you fight for him as Elector of Hannover. Not that I've anything against the Germans who fight for us. Uh. With us" He looked embarrassed. "I've not had much to do with the Germans in your Company."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Carty wondered about, free to enjoy the rest of his afternoon as he willed, until a return to the campfire to toast their victories and defeats with Harris and Hagman and Perkins with the rest of the 95th. Right now he had a mission: Jenny Ross. He had shouted at her the night before - it was fully necessary, of course, and if it kept her safe from Hakeswill then he did not regret it - but the idea of shouting at a woman made his cheeks burn with shame. But apart from that it was Jenny, with her long gold hair, and a smile like stars...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:32 am

Edrington strolled round the field, seeing the various groups - Willoughby trying out a Rifle - did he really want to exchange his smart Hussar's uniform for a green one? Edrington doubted it. Later, he saw Waldegrave talking to the serious young second lieutenant from Vickery's company, and briefly to one of Wellesley's aides.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:37 am

Carty quickly stood to attention and saluted, beaming, as the Colonel walked past, and then returned his attention to scanning the crowd.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 am

George finally spotted Edrington some way off, and made his way to him, walking briskly.
'I am sorry to bother you, sir, but Lieutenant Waldegrave informed me that I had to speak to you on the matter of purchasing a particular horse from your regiment', said George, saluting the Colonel smartly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:42 am

Edrington acknowledged the boy's salute, and the beaming smile with a smile of his own.

He was not surprised when Hunter approached him, but his words made him frown.

"Why should you want to buy one of our horses? And why - forgive me - should we sell it to you?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 am

George decided that his earlier explanation to Waldegrave was not one he wished to use on the Colonel.
'Forgive me, sir, for being so direct about this matter. I am acting on another's behalf, and I do believe this person is very attached to this particular horse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am

"If I am to assist in a romance, at least let me know the names of the parties you are acting for? Is this in your official capacity?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:56 am

George's smile diminished somewhat at Edrington's words.
'I am acting in my capacity as a friend, sir, and the horse I wish to purchase is I believe called Bella'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:02 am

"One of the regimental horses, which I allowed Trooper Willoughby to ride." Edrington studied Hunter. "And Willoughby is this friend? Since I doubt if anyone else has developed a fondness for her."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:06 am

'Yes, sir, it is Willoughby,' George saw no point in pretending anymore and if Edrington thought less of him for befrieding a trooper, well, he could not honestly say he cared that much, though he did like the Colonel.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:12 am

Given Willoughby's family background, the friendship was not inconceivable: the rest of it was. "I am sorry, I seem to be having difficulty understanding you. Trooper Willoughby has sent you to buy one of our horses? What on earth will he do with her?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:17 am

'I believe, sir, that he is going to ride her, since he currently has no mounts. I am quite sure any of the 15th officers will mind not having to give Willoughby one of the regiment's mounts. And yes, sir, I am here to purchase her on his behalf, since he cannot come himself at the moment'.
Thankfully that last bit was not a lie.

Last edited by Captain George Hunter on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 am

Edrington shook his head in amazement. "Does the 15th Hussars actually expect troopers to buy their own mounts now? If they want to buy it, they can approach me. If he wants it as a pet, he can approach me. But I do not believe that any cavalry regiment is so short of mounts that ..." He stared at Hunter. "I hope that you have misunderstood what was said."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:32 am

'No, sir, the 15th do have a mount for him, but the lad...' George fell silent, then spoke up again. 'They have a mount for him, sir, and he cannot approach you, because he has no money and because he can't even dream of buying her, but he got attached to this horse, and I understand what it feels like, sir. So it is really me, who wants to buy her, though not for my own use'. George sighed. 'I am sorry for misleading you, sir.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:39 am

"And you would pay for stabling, and fodder for her? Because it will be a long time before she is retrained sufficiently to be of any use to him. And I doubt if the Hussars would support a useless mouth." How long did it take to train a cavalry horse? Edrington did not know - he would have to ask v Lossow. Years, he thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 am

'Yes, I would', said Hunter simply.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 am

Edrington frowned for a moment, then shook his head. "I should apologize for misleading you, if my questions did lead you to suppose that I might contemplate selling one of my battalion's horses. We have those horses for one reason only - to allow us to fight more effectively. Some of my officers do not have mounts, for one reason or another. If we go into action, more will be lost, or put temporarily out of action. If I could, I would be authorising the purchase of more horses, not giving up any of the ones we have to be someone's plaything."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next