Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ...

4 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ...

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 am

"I can walk on my own, DeChagney.." Saint-Hilaire answered once the lieutenant was out of view. He had stopped and pulled his arm from the other and then straightened a little. "You may tell him that you've followed his order to a T, and I will back you up, but allow me some dignity in walking as a sound man, and not a cripple." He glanced at the youth.

"......and you can stay close, should I prove myself wrong." He wanted to reach that tent soon and fast and without another slip.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Species : Sous-Lieutenant, 17ème Infanterie Légère
Number of posts : 680

Back to top Go down

6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ... - Page 2 Empty Re: 6th August 1809, afternoon: Meanwhile ...

Post  Josef Widmayer Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 am

Josef studied the new arrival briefly and though he gave no indication, he certainly recognised the face and the man behind it. He nodded a curt greeting. "Shall we wait for the sous-liuetenant, then?" He inquired, glancing at the colonel.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Species : Civilian
Number of posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am

"Alright, monsieur ... I'll just walk here beside you then? And I'll bring you my chair - no problem at all. Capitaine Sourette has the Colonel's other chair, and his guest has one of course. It's that intelligence gathering Capitaine who was here before - Lemarc?"

DeChagney was more then willing to release the somewhat uncomfortable hold and instead return to walking at the other man's side, ready to catch him - although he was uncomfortably aware that he had needed Prayon's help last time to prevent an accident.

---------

The Colonel looked up.

"Ah, Lieutenant Prayon. Yes, Monsieur, I believe we will wait - then we have to go through this only one time. Prayon, in the meanwhile, make yourself useful and organize two more chairs, will you?"
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Species : Lieutenant, 17ème Infanterie Légère
Number of posts : 434

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1704-bastien-prayon#99052

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am

"Lemarc? He has decided to show himself again? He really did take his time..." Though of course Etienne could not be certain how often Lemarc appeared, as the man came and went as he pleased and did not always have something for the regiment to which Saint-Hilaire belonged.

He nodded slowly, and sped his pace up a bit. He was limping but determined. His hands were balled into fists and he seemed to try hard to make the limp less obvious. He was more careful with the terrain, though still a little reckless in the speed he chose. He was nearly there.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 am

Josef raised his glass and drank it dry then poured himself some water in it instead. He glanced at the entrance to the tent curious to see if the other officer had arrived already. Turning away from the tent flap he peered at the map again. It was not a bad map at all. He'd have liked to have one similar as his other one showed tear, wear and also was not as accurate and as detailed.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Marashar Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 pm

The Colonel, noting Josef's interest, smiled.

"Nice work, isn't it? It seems the British are good for something after all. If that young Cornet you want us to catch has a similar one, I'll make you a present of it."

He turned the neatly lithographed sheet so that Josef could admire it better. Sourette remarked dryly:

"Yes, why go to the bother of bringing a printing press of our own when we can just wait for the British to do the work? Great thing while we are on the advance - if we just manage to capture enough officers."

While the French military carthographers were arguably as good as the British, it was much harder to come by their maps - unfortunately the Emperor had not seen fit to equip his Peninsular Army with the means to copy them quickly - in contrast to the British Commander-in-Chief.
Marashar
Marashar
Midshipman

Species : Give me the coffee!
Number of posts : 456

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Thu May 01, 2014 12:21 am

"Oh, that would be wonderful." Josef answered, having no need to pretend that he did not want one. They were lovely things and useful. The more information they had on them, the better for the one using them and he certainly wished to know as much of every nook and cranny as possible.

"Should I next attempt to see that you capture the men printing these maps, with all their equipment, so that they shall be at your service at your whim?" He asked perhaps more jokingly than serious.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am

Saint-Hilaire straightened a little as they reached the tent. He took a few moments. Breathed slowly and deeply in, exhaled just as slowly then nodded glancing at the younger man. "I hope we shan't be considered as late." He smiled humourlessly and then turned to enter.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 am

"Oh, they might as well do that on the British payroll. Just deliver us the guys distributing them", the Colonel joked, waving Etienne to come in.

"Sous-Lieutenant Saint-Hilaire, I believe you have met Capitaine Lemarc?"

Only a step behind them, Bastien bustled in again, carrying a plank and DeChagney's chair and improvising a bench for the officers to sit on with these and Sourette's chair - somewhat to the later's indignation, since he was just about to sit down when the plank appeard under his behind. The colonel just rolled his eyes and stared pointedly at Bastien. It took quite a moment until the younger man realized what this was about, but then he immediately apologized very contritely to Sourette, only to be waved off with weary acceptance.
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 am

"Perhaps once or twice." Saint-Hilaire turned to Lemarc, studying him for a few brief moments. He inclined his head in greeting and then turned to see if the bench was secure enough and they would not tip and fall backwards.

"What good news do you bring us?" He inquired as he slowly sat down. He relaxed, shifting the leg that had suffered a stab injury in the past forward a little. "Or anyhow...we're here now." He indicated Bastien and then himself. "Sir?" This meant for the Colonel.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Thu May 01, 2014 7:25 am

Josef observed Saint-Hilaire as he sat down. He had heard some rumours about a French officer who got away. He mentally drew little connections between what he knew and what he saw. He knew that sous Lieutenant Saint-Hilaire went missing. His disappearance did not completely match with the time in which the Portuguese had their prisoner, but it did overlap in the second part.

When he recounted the descriptions of injuries the escaped and supposed dead officer, he could see similarities too. Loss of eye, stiff posture possibly suggesting injuries to the back, the same leg that seemed to need relief, some other visible injuries that were minor but no less telling.

He averted his gaze from the officer before it would seem as if he was staring at him but never the less also said: "It is a pleasure to meet you again, Sous Lieutenant."
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am

"Messieurs, let's get back to the task at hand - we don't have much time", the Colonel called the meeting to order. Bastien dropped onto the plank as well, while DeChagney waited to see whether it was really carrying all the weight before climbing onto it as well.

"Lieutenant Prayon, you will lead a small force of twenty men tonight, to disrupt a British cavalry training exercise. Capitaine, if you could outline what you have found out and what my men have to expect?" Beuret nodded at Josef to take over the briefing.
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Thu May 01, 2014 8:17 am

Josef nodded and stood. He walked to the map and turned so that everybody could see what he was doing. He pointed to the are where the Hussars would be, explained in great enough detail their purpose there and their approximated number. He described their officer in a short few sentences, especially emphasizing that he was inexperienced in the art of leadership and that he is fresh as a cornet. He did add however that - as far as he had learned - the man must have served in some form as a trooper before. He also added that while his inexperience may hinder him, it should not be expected as an easy in and out mission. The man might yet provide some surprise.

He described the terrain there and then finally concluded with the time at which the cavalry should be present there and to also be careful while approaching them as he supposed , there might be other activity in the area.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Thu May 01, 2014 8:46 am

When he was finished, Sourette took over, detailing which men and gear to take, where in the larger area, according to their last intelligence, to be aware of enemies and where to expect friends, and reiterating the goals of the mission, mainly the disruption of the exercise, the capture of horses, and of the officer.

When he was finished, he sat down again, and the Colonel spoke up again.

"Saint-Hillaire, you will accompany the men, too. Get reaquinted with things. You will also be responsible for the last objective, that is the Cornet, leaving Prayon and the majority of the men free to do what he does best, namely causing havoc. Questions?"

Last edited by Bastien Prayon on Thu May 01, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am

Saint-Hilaire looked quite relieved. "Yes sir." For a moment he had believed that his journey to this tent was for nothing and that he would be sent back on some paperwork errand.

"...Sir, I assume all effort should be made towards bringing him alive, if possible? " He inquired carefully.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 am

"If possible, yes", the Colonel confirmed. "If not ... I'm sorry to say that it would be preferable if he were at least severely wounded."

Sourette frowned and asked:

"In case he is barbaric enough not to understand French: Do you know enough English to tell him to surrender?"
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Thu May 01, 2014 9:50 am

"...I do not." Saint-Hilaire lowered his gaze. "But I would assume that a pistol or sabre pointed at his throat and a good indicative nod in which direction he should go, should be understandable enough in any language." He added somewhat hopefully. "Otherwise, I might need someone to assist me in translating the orders to the heathen."
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 am

Sourette snorted.

"Yes, it probably should be."

After taking a deep breath, he pronounced not to badly:

"Sur-ren-der, that would be the one. And you are surrounded if you want to tell him that he can't go away. Also quite practical: Put down your weapon or I will kill you. Just make sure you actually have a plan how to subdue him if he does not let go of his weapon before using that one. Everything else ... well, tell him to shut up and get him here."
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Fri May 02, 2014 2:10 am

When Saint-Hilaire repeated the first, his r's sounded almost like a purr, this did not improve with the second by much, while the accent sounded even more French, and with the last the weapon had lost it's n, and sounded much more nasal but atleast saying it slowly he could be understood.

He wrote it down carefully by the sounds each word made so that he could practice it a little later and the vague translation of each.

"No matter the fashion in which he is brought, he will come with us." He promised and gave Bastien a harder gaze, should he dare to mock his attempts at English.
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Fri May 02, 2014 7:04 am

Bastien, whose English was colourful, to say the least, only raised his eyebrows in a declaration of complete innocence. Then he inquired of the "exploring officer":

"Any idea why they are training there?"

Sourette hid a grin and repeated the phrases, then nodded in approval when he thought that Etienne could be understood.

"That will do. The way with waving a pistol and pointing in the right direction while screaming works pretty good in most cases anyway."
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Étienne Saint-Hilaire Fri May 02, 2014 7:15 am

Saint-Hilaire nodded. "Rest assured, I will have him brought here." He glanced at Josef and Bastien also curious why a group of cavalry would decide to expose themselves so for training. They seemed to not be on a scouting mission, which at least would have made sense. He arched a brow. "...I would not be surprised if the cause is arrogance so typical of the cavalry. Thinking they are immune to musket fire and sabre cuts.."
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Étienne Saint-Hilaire
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Fri May 02, 2014 7:34 am

"Prepare for this to be a trap, just in case?", Bastien suggested drolly, tilting his head like a puppy expecting a treat.

The Colonel shrugged. "It would be a bit too much effort, just to capture a patrol, in my opinion, but if the thought makes you a bit more cautious, I will certainly not put it off the table. Your thoughts, Capitaine?"
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 am

"The information that I have is that they will be waiting on someone. " Josef answered. "They are not as smart to set an ambush for someone they do not believe would come, nor to bait them when they probably have enough of their own exploring officers telling them exactly where you are at any given time and therefor will know that you are not near enough."

He tilted his head studying Bastien. A small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "As I said, you might expect an undisclosed, but most certainly much smaller force in about this area." He indicated the map where he guessed that the officers were heading. "They are not supposed as friends of the English. You will probably not encounter them at all anyway."
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastien Prayon Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 am

"Hopefully!", Sourette remarked drily. Bastien held his hands up in an apologetic gesture, already claiming innocence for all that might happen, and the colonel hid a laugh behind a cough and levelled a steely look at the lieutenant.

"Alright, if there are no more questions, Lieutnant Prayon, assemble your men, Lieutenant Saint-Hilaire, you too, and report back no later then tomorrow morning. Capitaine Lemarc, do you have to leave instantly or may I invite you to dinner?"
Bastien Prayon
Bastien Prayon
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post  Josef Widmayer Fri May 02, 2014 8:19 am

"I would love to, but I am afraid my work is never done..and just as one chapter is closed...Well, let us save the invitation for another time, if we may, sir?" Josef answered politely and began to stand. "I wish you good luck and success lieutenant Prayon, Saint-Hilaire." He nodded to both.

He then turned. "And if you really could, I would like to have that map, should the cornet have one." This said, he seemed rather keen to depart again.
Josef Widmayer
Josef Widmayer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next