Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

14th June: Morning beauty

+2
John Vickery
Edward Torrington
6 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

14th June: Morning beauty - Page 5 Empty Re: 14th June: Morning beauty

Post  Allhands Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:14 am

"Sir, I will gladly.." But there was a fair exchange to be had. " If you will also tell me a little about your work." She indicated the papers protected then by leather.

She still had her suspicions and his uniform still bothered her, since it was not the normal colour at all. She accepted that he was English, but it would take time even then. Not all of the English fought on the right side.

"My men will remain dry, sir. You need not worry about them." She said no more than that. But the Portuguese locals knew the land around them enough to make true to her claim. She smiled kindly and politely.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Species : Kitty-in-disguise
Number of posts : 983

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:14 am

Edward accepted her statement with a brief bow, although it did only little to lessen his worry. But he could hardly tell her that he did not only worry for, but also about the men.

That she had agreed to talk to him was very agreeable, and not only because he needed more information about the landscape around them, but her request in return - understandable and reasonable as it was - posed ... well, not exactly a problem, but rather a point that needed to be handled carefully. But he would certainly do his best to keep her amused and interested in the conversation without revealing anything that could be of use to the enemy. Most things he did were innocent enough; only when it came to marking off streets suitable for troop movements, infrastructure and similar things it became sensitive information. He just would have to be careful not to show her this side of his work.

Collecting the last of his things, he replied therefore easily enough: "With pleasure, senhora, if you won't find it a dull topic of conversation."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Species : Royal Engineer Captain
Number of posts : 1854

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1673-edward-lord-torringto

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:24 am

A storm? That was going to make things uncomfortable for his men. Of course, being Riflemen, they would cope with it - they would have to. he raised an eyebrow fractionally as she expressed an interest in learning about Captain Torrington's work. He would have thought that it would be too complicated for her to understand; he wasn't sure that he himself could grasp all the theory behind the practicality of map-making.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:58 am

"I will certainly not. To see your own homeland with the eyes of another, is interesting, to see it placed in a different dimension.. I will say, I cannot see how it might be dull. Complicated perhaps, but a challenge worth engaging." Her English was perhaps somewhat flawed, but she hoped that the meaning was understood well enough.

"If you do not wish to be wet, I would suggest we proceed somewhere, where rain cannot reach us. " She glanced at Vickery and then at Torrington. "Your papers would appreciate it.." She smiled pleasantly and then spoke to the rifleman again.

"Your uniforms are similar to some of the French. Green and red. Though the cut appears different. "....How many times have you been mistaken for our enemy... insofar?"
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:05 pm

"Certainly, Senhora."

Edward moved his arm a bit, a gesture to indicate that she should lead the way, but also offering his arm, should she wish to take it, but equally easy to simply ignore should she prefer to do so.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:53 am

The offered arm startled her. Did he wish to be a gentleman or merely point in the direction that she was to go. Had it been one, or the other, choosing the wrong would have been embarrassing, or perhaps considered an insult should it not be taken.

"Pardon, senhor. Is it not the highest ranking officer that goes first?.. or the Lord?" This could solve the problem of not knowing what she was to do. She hoped atleast, because it was the last thing on her mind, to insult the other man, who has been pleasant so far.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:03 am

"I can't speak for Captain Vickery, of course, but I will gladly waive any right I might possibly have for a lady, Senhora. But perhaps we can solve this small question of protocol by going all together?"

Rottländer appeared again, laden with things again, and Edward indicated the clouds and motioned for him to return to the camp. He hoped that the young German would understand correctly and set out the breakfast in the tent now.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Estefania glanced at Vickery then nodded at final last taking Torrington's arm. He had offered it. It was a one time occasion, as when she would again be merely a member of the militia bringing news, she would act as any of her fellow compatriots. Being a lady was perhaps one thing, but fighting the French and doing her duty ranked higher on the list of priorities.

She studied Rottlánder. The poor thing had been made to run back and forth several times now, and yet he appeared as ready to run again. He was, to say the least, a very eager puppy, and a friendly looking lad, eager to please his Lord. "He is your batman?" She asked indicating the boy. "What do you feed him? He runs faster than I've seen even the French go, when they see us."
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:20 am

Edward nodded and led her towards the camp.

"Yes, he is. Rifleman Friedrick Rottlander. He actually feeds me, and that very well. You will enjoy whatever he will serve for breakfast now."

His voice was amused now.

"I don't have the faintest idea where he gets his energy from. Even if he eat the rest of my dinner every day, that doesn't acccount for it. I wouldn't wonder if he is running around even in his dreams."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:09 am

Vickery couldn't help chuckling at the picture that produced; something like a dog chasing rabbits in its sleep.

"I can't answer that question either; I have absolutely no idea where his energy arises."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am

Edward paused at the outskirts of the camp, and directed some idling soldiers to take care of the desk and chairs still out in the open.

Turning to Vickery, he asked:

"Do we need to have the horses picketed differently? They won't like a storm and it would be troublesome should one get loose and choose to stampede through the camp."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:59 pm

"Friedrich Rottlander?" It did not sound English. Though she heard that the 60th had many of the Germans with them. Though these people were not fighting just for the English. She chuckled. Of course she had seen the boy before, and not only him but a friend of his - probably - in the past few days. The pair had gone after honey, and should have felt lucky that they returned alive. They had been observed, and so had the short skirmish. Since the redcoats had been considered deserters, the militia had not helped save them. That, and they were but two men at the time.

Those reported back, after they had brought down some of the French, who in their flight, strayed too far from the others. The two were later seen by the river and splashed enough to scare most of the fish up and down the river. At that time, she had actually been present. Though she and the few men were in passing, their objective being the French that some rumours suggested, had been out foraging.

"You send your men to forage for honey as well?" She inquired, knowing her horse would be less affected by the storm, though she was willing to tie it where she could not wound herself, or others.

If they were permitted, or even if not, but did it as was clear for Friedrich, to forage for such things as honey, his energy levels did not surprise her as much any more.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:55 am

"I will get one of the men to see to the horses." He turned to Estefania. "Yes, Friedrich Rottländer. He is German, as many of men are." It was maybe not surprising that she was unaware that the British Army had German soldiers in its ranks; or that there were soldiers of other nationalities fighting alongside them.

"Honey?" he asked. What a strange thing to ask about. "No, I do not recall sending any of my men to forage for such a thing."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 am

At Estefania's question Edward raised an eyebrow. Honey would certainly be a good foundation for Rottländer's liveliness, but he wasn't aware that there was any honey to be had in camp. Vickery's comment seemed to indicate that he wasn't aware of any either.

What did the lady mean?
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 am

So neither of the two men knew that their subordinates had gone and foraged for honey. This was perhaps unsurprising. She smiled: "They were wild roaming bees." And while not pointing it out, she did hope that the soldiers would not be allowed to equally 'forage' for things that were more privately owned and for which they would not pay. It happened. Both the French and the British stole.

"And rabbit, I've seen plenty of that hunted by your men. Is it for the officers?" Of course it was not. She glanced at Torrington and then back at Vickery.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Edward raised an eyebrow. The rabbit of yesterday had gone to the officers' table, but it had not been foraged by order. Estefania's statement would imply that there was quite a lot poaching going on, though. But what was much more unsettling was the fact that this lady obviously had spied on them. As poaching soldiers out of necessity tried to conduct their business unseen, she couldn't have observed this as an innocent bystander.

"Only if we can get hold of it quickly enough. It appears that you are far better informed in this regard, ma'am."

He studied her covertly. It was a rather blunt sally. How would she react?
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:02 pm

"The trees have eyes, Sir. And they speak to us." She smiled politely, pleasantly. "It is not for us to ignore them or would you believe us to miss a spy that might betray your lines and ours? Perhaps a Frenchman that managed to come with a plan that will but catch your tail, as .. I recall, has happened not too far in the past."

She tilted her head a little bit, still her tone polite and pleasant, as if they talked of weather and of the festivities rather than of war. " Your women are at final last, safe and sound." She commented. "And so are some of the men you have had returned." What was the exchange worth? She would not imply she had thought them to have paid a price that would be harmful to their allies. No. Though she hardly understood that a deal could be made with the French creatures.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:15 am

"If they are taking anything, I am very sure it is just from the countryside and not from the local inhabitants. You may not know that General Wellesley takes a very dim view of those who rob the local people - as do I, ma'am," Vickery said, still mystified as to what she had meant by asking about honey.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

That woman was remarkably well informed! Edward studied her covertly. Was it just innocent babbling, real information or a means to get their trust? She certainly had fired a few darts now.

Aloud he said neutraly:

"I believe, madam, the French are now very careful with their spies on account of your actions."
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:26 am

"Indeed. So I am told, Sir." She spoke to Vickery. " But words are to frequently given and go, where actions do not follow. It is a curse of all nations, I believe.. and of men whose fear may be dulled in time."

She was though polite, neither suggesting that those men were all thieves but showing clearly, that she knew that although there was effort, the exact action to counter the crime, did not always follow. Be it for the success of the soldier in not being found or be it for the want of turning a blind eye at times of men who were just higher enough.

She gazed then at Torrington, and spoke again: "...The French spies, their informants, even the men who ride to carry news, papers, letters.. what you will, ..are dealt with as soon as they may be discovered." She smiled. "Do you not know that the French fear to send their own anywhere, if not with a great company of other men? That they would refrain from sending your women back, if it saved them the need to proceed on a perilous journey."

She watched as the sky proceeded to darken, and soon, just as she promised, the rain would com to have them all rather drenched if they would not hurry to their shelter.

"We do our outmost sir, to drive these beasts out of our home." A firm conviction. "Every man, woman and child has little more on their minds."
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 am

"It would make you stare, to see the numbers of provosts following the army, ready to take any man in the act who would think to rob the local population," Vickery replied, in an attempt to reassure her.

It was growing very dark, and it seemed her prediction would come true sooner rather than later.

"I believe your tent is closer than mine - and is somewhat larger," he said, addressing Torrington. "Although should it be an inconvenience, we can certainly shelter in my own tent."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:40 am

"No, not at all. I'd be honoured. Please come in."

Edward held open the flap to allow his guests to enter the tent, then looked around for Rottländer; the young man had already spotted them and came nearly galloping up.

In a mixture of English and German that seemed to developed into a lingua franca between them, Edward informed him of their guests and the coming rain; he would certainly have to make some preparations. The coffee appeared to be ready, however, so he would at least have something to entertain his guests with until Rottländer could attend to their breakfast again.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Allhands Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm

"You are forgetting sir, that we do see what goes on. " She answered before entering the tent. There she shuffled out of the way, and waited for them all to be secure under 'one roof'. She was surprised at the strange exchange of words, some not English. It did confirm that the young boy was not an Englishman himself.

"We heard that you have got a French officer as prisoner. Do you still keep him?" She asked glancing between the two men, with nonchalant curiosity.
Allhands
Allhands
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post  Edward Torrington Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 am

After the minute details she seemed to know about the poaching escapades in camp, it was not too much of a surprise to Edward that she knew of their prisoner as well. Neither being more than fleetingly conversant with the correct proceedings in handling prisoners of war, nor feeling it to be his place to answer, he left it to Captain Vickery to deal with this question and set about making his guests comfortable instead.

Once again the lady was led to the chair, while Captain Vickery was offered the camp-stool. Replacing his instruments and papers in the large, well-made chest which held most of his surveying equipment, he locked it again. It would make a very comfortable seating place for himself, should Estefania decided to sit down.
Edward Torrington
Edward Torrington
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm

"The prisoner went to Headquarters and I think is likely to be sent to Lisbon, and thence to England," Vickery replied, waiting for the lady to sit. Of course, manners meant that the lady must sit before the gentlemen could. It was more than likely that, being an officer, he could be exchanged before any such journey would take place, but telling this Portuguese lady that probably would not be politic. "You are very well informed, madam," he said instead.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next