Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Visiting the 60th Rifles

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Visiting the 60th Rifles - Page 3 Empty Re: Visiting the 60th Rifles

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 am

Edrington shrugged, and Duke Orsino shifted. The black gelding was still young, and being trained, but the way Simmerson had treated his horse seemed to have unsettled him. "He'll have to find new ways - I don't think he's seen any active service since ... Well, possibly none. And we do rather depend on our neighbours - which might be the 33rd."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 am

Brandy whickered softly, and Vickery patted his neck again. "I hope he won't do anything stupid, that's all. I am firmly of the opinion that men shouldn't be allowed to end up in charge of a regiment without having experienced active service beforehand. It causes far too much uncertainty."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Species : Captain; 5/60th Rifles
Number of posts : 2869

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/t1736-capt-the-hon-john-vic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:16 am

"We don't have time..." Edrington stopped and said rather more temperately. "He has experienced majors. My hope would rather be that - for one reason or another - he lets them guide him, or even command the regiment, until he is more sure of what he is doing. As he did at Pombal."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 am

"I think that is about the best that we can hope for," Vickery said. "I would not rely too heavily on the 33rd until we know whether they and their Colonel may be relied upon."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:59 am

Edrington grinned. "If you have to fall back on the line, make for the 62nd then. If you take refuge with the 33rd you might not get out so easily." It was, he thought, easy to say that he shouldn't rely on Simmerson and the 33rd, but in battle you relied on each other, and they were likely to be brigaded together. All he could do was hope that Picton - or any other general in charge, up to and including Wellesley, knew the man's weaknesses, and strengths - if they existed.

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 am

"We'll do that, sir," Vickery said, hoping that they wouldn't find themselves in a position where they had to trust to the 33rd's steadiness under fire. It was quite a pleasant day, and even Simerson's boorishness couldn't completely spoil it.

"I think I should reinforce the scouts, sir. And I will show you the Company books and Pye's transfer papers this evening, before letting Simmerson see them."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 am

"Very well. I leave that to you. And I hope to God there is nothing wrong with the paperwork... At either end."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 am

"There won't be, sir," Vickery said, a hint of determination showing on his face.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am

"You show remarkable faith in the 33rd - there is going to be a risk that they won't be able to find their documents. But ours will have the necessary signatures." Edrington stared ahead. The French were there, and he was worrying about paperwork. "I'd rather like Si.. the Colonel to take his complaint to the General. He would put him right on the merits of Riflemen. "

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 am

Vickery refrained from rolling his eyes. "If Simmerson and the 33rd have lost their paperwork, that is their lookout, sir. I would have thought he would have more important things to be worrying about than paperwork, however. Especially this close to the French." He shook his head, smiling. "And do I dare admit to wishing to be a fly on the wall during that conversation, sir?I daresay the General could make even Colonel Sir Henry Simmerson sit up and take note."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 am

Edrington gave a quick smile, but became serious. "We will need your riflemen, and you, but we also need the 33rd, and the other line regiments. We just have to hope that we can convince Colonel Simmerson - because paperwork, however excellent, isn't going to make him our friend."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 am

"I doubt there is anything that can work such a miracle as that, sir. We will just have to do the best we can and hope that what we do can convince him of our usefulness. Although he strikes me as one who prefers all soldiers to stand in line and be shot at, as in the days of Marlborough. I rather fancy that Riflemen have no place in the field of battle as he imagines it to be. Although I am prepared to be mistaken, of course."

Vickery thought again how lucky he and his men were to be attached to a regiment such a the 62nd, whose Colonel was prepared to see the merits of the Rifles.
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am

"He has yet to face the tirailleurs... We adapt and experiment, of course, as they did in Marlborough's day, and improve on what we already have."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:09 am

"We may, but I rather suspect that to someone of Simmerson's stamp, a battle should be exactly as depicted in paintings of Maplaquet or Blenheim. Bugles, banners and bags of glory - nothing else will do. I sincerely hope I am wrong, however."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 am

"And cannon with little balls of white smoke - I have one of my great-grandfather, on a rather unlikely horse... " Edrington smiled and then shrugged. "We must wait and see. I do not doubt that you will do what is required, if you are given the chance, and Colonel Simmerson will not persuade me otherwise."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 am

"We shall do our utmost to repay your trust. And it shall not be said that the Rifles fell at the first hurdle. You have seen a demonstration of our tactics, but a demonstration cannot show how men will perform when under fire, after all. After Vimeiro and Rolica, I feel I can assure you that we know our duty and will do our utmost to execute it. And I daresay there are some in green who will take a chance to do their duty even if that chance is not given to them by those in power."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Edrington raised an eyebrow at that declaration of independence. "You and your men will obey orders, Captain Vickery, and wait to be asked. A fine thing it would be if Companies took it into their own heads to act without the faintest idea of where that action fits into the overall plan - and what else they might have been required to do, if they hadn't decided to use their initiative."

Last edited by Edrington on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong code ...)

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 am

Vickery looked across at the 62nd's Colonel. "I was not referring to my men or myself, Colonel." He glanced towards where Sharpe and his men of the 95th were marching. "There are some men who think the less of a man because of where he has come from, despite his being where he is now. And for those who have fought their way up, they have to keep fighting to prove that they are worthy of being where they are now. And I do not just mean on the field of battle, either."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 am

The Colonel's lips twitched. "There are indeed, but I struggle against it. But I will say the same thing to Mr Sharpe. Once you have your orders, and are in action, you and he will no doubt use your initiative - but neither I nor the Generals will want to find that even so small a part of the army has wandered off to do its own thing without waiting to learn what it might usefully be employed in doing."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 am

Vickery's lip twitched. "I am sure that Mister Sharpe, from all I have heard of him, will not fail to find some sort of useful employment. Apparently he has a knack of doing that."
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 am

"I will discuss that with Mr Sharpe," Edrington said repressively. "Possibly his previous commanders have failed to appreciate him."

Back to top Go down

Post  John Vickery Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:53 am

"Quite possibly they have, sir," Vickery answered blandly. "I believe I shall increase the number of our scouting patrols, sir. I should think twenty men should be sufficient, and that will allow those of us left to reinforce them in good time, if needed. Do you suppose that the Frogs have done the sensible thing and retreated across the Douro by now?"
John Vickery
John Vickery
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:43 am

"Not as far as I know - but they may do so once they learn we are here in such numbers. They must have their agents and spies, as we do. But we are to assume that their forward position is just north of the Vouga, and that the chances of their patrols being south of the river - to see what we are up to - much be high."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3