Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
In the Hold Again - 21st May EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

In the Hold Again - 21st May

Go down

In the Hold Again - 21st May Empty In the Hold Again - 21st May

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 am

[Coming from here.]

Down in the hold, Padstowe made his way towards where he had been informed the horses were being kept. It was harder, he somehow thought, to find his footing down here; but it was not much different or difficult to cause him disturbance. Bethany, dear creature that she was, saw him coming and whinnied softly, reaching out her velvetly nose to him as he arrived and stroked her head.

"Hello, dear girl," he said softly, smiling. He stroked a calming hand down her neck. "At least you're always pleased to see me, eh?"

The mare snorted and bumped his chest with her nose and he chuckled.

"Yes, I have neglected you, and I am sorry. I'll try not to do it again."

Next to Bethany was Noix, head up, her ears twitched towards him. He gave her a wry smile, still petting Bethany.

"And hello to you, mademoiselle. Though I shall not come any closer, thank you, as I have been told that one of your past times is eating redcoats."

Finally he turned and directed his gaze across to the young stallion, Copenhagen.

"And you... You have caused more trouble than I am sure you are aware of. You know that gentleman you kicked in the head? He was the surgeon - a very important man. Somehow I don't think your new master will be very happy when he finds out you've been putting important men into a coma!"

Copenhagen continued to stare at him with his dark, liquid eyes and merely cocked one ear. Padstowe snorted - his own version of horse-like disgust - and continued stroking Bethany.

"I heard from Elizabeth," he said softly to her, although in reality he was more talking to himself than the horse. "You remember her, don't you? She had long blonde hair, and she gave you sugar. You've always liked sugar, haven't you?"

What horse would not? he reflected gloomily; and what woman still had the power to hurt him still but Elizabeth Seyliard? He had concerns enough already, things to think of more than of domesticity that could never be... It would have been easier were he to have thought himself rejected and with no second chance; but to think that he had stood a chance and lost it...

He had said he did not wish to marry; had turned aside all advances and possible encitements to be forced into committments he did not wish to make. And now the irony was that he himself had been rejected - by the one woman who he thought could have made him happy.

Last edited by Jonathan Padstowe on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Species : Wellesley's Staff
Number of posts : 3594

Back to top Go down

In the Hold Again - 21st May Empty Re: In the Hold Again - 21st May

Post  Jonathan Padstowe Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 pm

It was only down here that he could think on this and not feel guilty for it. Horses did not judge as men judged - Bethany would be glad of his company and give nothing for what his thoughts were. He could sit and brood here without anyone asking him if anything was wrong, or anyone coming to his cabin to see why he had not emerged. No one would see him to call him miserable or grumpy; so now he could just think.

He sat down beneath Bethany's stall, stroking the mare's nose whilst he thought of the past days' occurances - from their arrival on the ship to Raoul's altercation with that Marine, to the frigate's near-action and the crew's disappointment, to Stephen's operation and gaining of a patient, to the misery on the Midshipman's face that had accompanied the shore part, to poor Billy Barrow who may not live to see the end of this day. How, he wondered, for all he had said of the balance of Fate, could misfortune visit them so frequently and so heavily?

He thought of the army. More than ever now he wanted to be back with them; to be shot of this wretched business - Raoul included - and get back to what he was doing before. Never before had he thought he would be so eager to see Major Hogan's bewhiskered face again.

He glanced down the the sling and regarded it skeptically. Did he really need it still? Stephen had been busy, far too busy to rightly spare any attention for his injury, and the stitches were itching terribly. He'd heard before from friends that when they started to itch the stitches needed to come out soon, otherwise they would turn and begin to corrupt the wound. These friends were not, Padstowe admitted to himself, qualified doctors; but soldiers were no strangers to wounds or their treatments, and most would pray to be in the care of their mates or see to their own injuries rather than submit to a surgeon.

Padstowe undid the sling, keeping his folded arm resting in his lap. As Bethany watched with curious dark eyes he peeled off his coat, undid his neckcloth and slid his shirt down to reveal the shoulder. Carefully he started to unwind the bandage...

[Padstowe leaves the hold to return here.]
Jonathan Padstowe
Jonathan Padstowe
Captain

Species : Wellesley's Staff
Number of posts : 3594

Back to top Go down