Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Preparing to sail - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Preparing to sail

+7
Mathew De Guarde
Billy Barrow
Harry Quinn (Retired)
Keiju
Jacob Chase
Jonathan Padstowe
Thomas Crozier
11 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Preparing to sail - Page 9 Empty Re: Preparing to sail

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:02 am

Stephen smiled at him fondly. "This is one of my favourite places to sit in the ship, any ship; I finding watching the wake spread out to be most conducive to reverie."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:16 am

"I hope Captain Padstowe is well - I ... I prefer to stay up on deck for as long as possible, and I am assured of everyone's good will." Raoul's lips quirked. "I am a novelty, and I hope they will learn to ignore me. I do not expect more: I am Bonapartiste and not a good, Royalist Frog. They do not have to like me."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:40 am

The preparations to set sail were under way. What looked like a disarray, chaos of bodies moving back and forth to their places and so, was actually found to be carrying a lot more purpose and organisation as first believed. Each man knew where was his place, and those that were new, were lead and ushered, shoved and pointed by those more experienced.

Soon the sails would be unfurled, while the anchors would be secured and then the ship would depart, leaving the port and the city of Lisbon behind. The ship became alive with movement, like an ant's nest, one body of men under the command of their superiors.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:41 am

Bolitho had watched Raoul walk over to the taff rail, then he had turned his attention back to the preparations for weighing anchor. After a few moments, he glanced in the Frenchman's direction again--and saw that Maturin had now emerged on deck as well. He was certain the crew had the task well in hand, yet he waited until they had at last raised the anchor in order to walk over and speak to the two gentlemen.

"Dr. Maturin, I am pleased to see you again," Bolitho said as he reached the taff rail, "I trust your preparations have all gone smoothly?"
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Species : Royal Navy; Captain
Number of posts : 1318

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/post-captain-

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 am

"Captain," said Stephen, making a leg. "They have, thank you; your crew could not have been more helpful or hospitable. I must thank you again for the generosity of this offer. I hope all has gone well for you in organising the departure?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:57 am

"I am glad to hear that. I would be most disappointed if you had been treated in anything less than a cordial manner. And I assure you that you are most welcome aboard our ship. We are more than happy to have you all as passengers."

Bolitho made a point to glance at Raoul as he said this. Then he turned back to Maturin.

"Thankfully yes, everything has gone well so far. But unexpected problems can occur at any time, even so close as we are to making sail. So I fear I cannot feel relieved just yet."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 am

"Thank you, Captain," said Stephen with a smile. "And thank God that the embarkation has thus far been without incident. I doubt two landsmen and a surgeon would be of much help to you, but if there is anything I could do I would be honoured. Are we in the way at all here?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:09 am

"You are not in the way at all," Bolitho assured him, shaking his head, "Not at all. And I am certain you could help a great deal if the situation called for it, but at the moment there is nothing that would require your assistance. The men have things all well in order. But I do appreciate your offer, doctor."
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:19 am

"Everyone has spoken to me most kindly," said Raoul. "And I can see the order. With the cavalry order changes to chaos once things start to happen - with a ship it is quite the other way around."

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 am

"An interesting observation, Capitaine. You are quite right."

Frenchman though he might be, Capitaine des Sablières seemed a most decent companion. He was quite observant and quite adept at conversation. Though he might never completely trust the man, Bolitho had to admit that he was feeling more and more at ease with his presence. Though time would only tell if his crew would feel the same.
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:42 am

(because my memory isn't good, correct if anything is wrong! ..or if all is wrong.)

With cables they've secured the first main anchor, while men worked to have the second heavy 'beast' dislodged and lifted from its dark grave. For a moment it began to sway precariously, before hooks had been secured and so the anchor came to stand harmlessly in place. Marines were there to land a hand, their own strength used to the benefit of the ship To heave the anchor upwards, alongside with the sailors.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:51 am

The ship began to turn, as if the shore were swinging around. Raoul watched as Lisbon passed behind the Captain's head and the Tower of Belem appeared over his shoulder. The Terpsichore was now facing the open sea.

More bare feet, as the men who had been hoisting the anchors ran and scampered up the yards, ready to let fall the sail that would carry them out to sea.

[Please note lack of specific detail. Raoul knows nothing about such things. He will reappear here]

Last edited by Raoul des Sablières on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add link)

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Bolitho Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:08 am

Everything was running as it should. The men had gone up into the rigging and were unfurling the sails, which soon caught the wind. The ship was underway and moving out to sea. Bolitho watched the Terpsichore's progress, pleased that things still seemed perfectly in order. All he could hope now was that their journey to Oporto would be just as smooth, and that they would arrive at their destination without any major incidents.
Richard Bolitho
Richard Bolitho
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:46 am

(hope all is well here again, helped with source. )

The top men were sent to loose the sails and climbed the shrouds with the ease of monkeys and the expertise of seasoned men. None seemed even once in danger of falling, none afraid of the height, for they were indeed made and chosen for the task. The yards were manned. The topsail sheets were stretched along and let to fall. Reef tackles were overhauled and so were bunt and clue-lines. The sails were footed out of the top, and topsail-sheets then hauled home.

The quarter-master and boatswain's mates were attending the braces. With the sails trimmed the ship and all tasks otherwise completed the ship was well ready and set on her course, at the captain's disposal to order as he wished, the direction as well as the use of sail and the amount. And for once there wasn't any delay, even with the former midshipman who had the first time moved to slack and slow as if he'd never climbed. This time however he did his task full well and worthy enough.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9