Show the Colours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» WAR OF CHANGE
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm by Guest

» ONE-THOUSAND ARMS (A Naruto Roleplay)
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm by Guest

» 14th June: Building bridges of humanity
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» 7th October: Charming play
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 pm by Estefania Lopes d.Almeida

» Recondite Reverie
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm by Guest

» Into the Wild
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am by Guest

» Dragons' Cove
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm by Guest

» Break the Darkness - Black Jewels Trilogy RPG (SMF, BJT RPG)
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm by Guest

» Board closing date
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 am by Sharpiefan

» All Together Now
Beating to quarters - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am by Guest

Calendar
If there is a thread not linked from the Calendar, please let me know so I can add it. ~ Sharpie

May 1809
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

June 1809
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 262728 29 30

July 1809
2 345 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
161718 19 20 21 22
232425 262728 29
Staff

Admin: Sharpie
Mod: Allhands

Affiliates
Affiliate with us!
(See here for details)

Show the Colours

RPG-Directory ~

The London Life ~ Aeterna Roma

~ Steamhawke

Rise of an Empire ~

Edolon:A Tournament of Shadows ~

~ Rise of the Immortals

~ ~ ~
BTM affiliates ~ the HAUTE Ton
Credits
Total Drama Website's Jade Rook Award ~ 3 Years & Counting
Header banner, ad banner, Chattery banner and StC button were made by Keiju

Forum icons were made by Sharpiefan, Keiju and sans nom, using base pics from Sharpe, Hornblower and Master & Commander and photos provided by Kinsella

Canon characters belong to their respective authors; original characters belong to their players.

We make no profit from this site.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Beating to quarters

+10
Tom Branning
Edward Leat
Jacob Chase
Harry Quinn (Retired)
Thomas Crozier
Richard Bolitho
Mathew De Guarde
sans nom
George Thompson
Billy Barrow
14 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Beating to quarters - Page 10 Empty Re: Beating to quarters

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:12 am

"I see." He sighed, for he had about enough of the boy making a bad name of the midshipmen. Chase wouldn't have been calling for him , with the cannon not fairing any different than all the others, if the midshipman was being civil.

He wanted to tell the sailor that he had done the right thing, but thought better of it. Wouldn't do, to congratulate a man for sending a middie away, by their own deed or another's.

" We will be greatful if you will tell us, any of you. " He spoke kindly: "If you know. He is a midshipman.. and it wouldn't do to have anyone, midshipman or sailor, thrown over board because they weren't popular. " He looked at Chase and hoped he understood that he did not blame him, nor suspect him. As much as he was annoyed with the young brat, what was done, was not excusable.

"How's your back, sailor?" He asked then, knowing that after this he would be going, as there could be any time that they would be engaging the enemy, and it would not do to have second senior middie found below and not on his station.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Species : Royal Navy; Able Seaman
Number of posts : 8004

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/midshipman-ma

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:57 am

At the foot of the companionway, out of the rain, Edrington shook out the cloak and folded it over his arm. He was still damp: boots and breeches and the stock round his neck being the worst affected. He would stay wet - it was possible that they close with the chase before the rain died away, and he would have to go on deck again. But for the moment he had the respite that the sailors would not get. He had told the Marines he would be in his cabin, and to call him if they were likely to see action.

Once inside, he lit the lantern, no longer swaying wildly around. He had kept the musket and the sword and placed them on the cot. He rubbed at his hair and removed his neckcloth and stock, before sitting down and picking up his book.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 am

Embarassed - is Fletcher!

Young Fletcher had been up on deck observing as the Frenchman made to run. He looked excited at the prospect of the chase, thrilled at how everybody cheered and called to the French. The marines, the sailors, all in one voice, joined as if one.

He beamed proudly and saw Terpsy again for what she was. One body, one soul under the captain! They were joined with one purpose which they were able and willing to furfill. He couldn't help but feel glad that he was on this ship with these men. Each and every one of them, except perhaps one middie. But he wasn't thinking of him. How could he, when this was much better, much more like the old Terpsy.

He heard about Yates being hurt, and he wanted to share with him, the news of what was going on, to tell him that they were chasing a Fnrechman and that the cowards ran! So walking quickly down below, excited and smiling he came to the sick bay and there he knocked gently and called :" May I come in? "
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:44 am

Someone was at the door, and when it was opened [neither Crozier nor M'Clure being here to answer Smile ] Peter saw that Fletcher had come down. He sat up. "Hello, Fletch. The ship seems to be moving more steadily now. I could probably manage not to fall over."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 am

Embarassed Fletcher

So worried he was when he heard how his friend fell and hit his head that he'd thought at the very least poor Peter was unconscious and fighting for his life. And now that he saw him awake and sitting, a bright smile spread across his face and timidly he entered.

"I've come down, ..Yate' , I was so worried about you." He piped and went to stand at the lad's 'bed'. "Are you allright? Your head, does it hurt?" He looked up as if afraid that the boy would still faint at a moment's notice. "Your.." And he looked down at his arm and again the smile replaced a look of worry." Does it hurt?" He clutched a small rag tag thing in his hands, soft and hand sewn.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:55 am

"Of course it hurts - well, less now because Doctor Crozier gave me something to stop it. But ... " Peter realized how the younger boy was worrying and stopped complaining. "I tried to knock down the mast with my head, to save the Frog the trouble. But the mast was slightly tougher." He raised his uninjured hand to the bandage round his head. "It bled like billy-oh when I down here and the doc started prodding it, but there's no damage to the brain..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:02 am

Embarassed Fletcher

Soft laughter rang out at Peter's midly done joke and the boy smiled proud at how brave the other midshipman was. He knew he would cry, but not Yates. He only said it hurt, and then he made light of the situation and then he assured him that all was well. " You shouldn' help the French!" He waved his forefinger playfully and grinned.

He got on his tiptoes to see how his friend's head looked, all bandaged, worried he would see something bad, but glad that the doctor had done a fine job. Not that there was doubt. Dr. Crozier knew what he was doing!

"I .. I brought you something so you can .. sleep better." He blushed and he held the small rolled up rag that now slightly resembled a child's toy. One that some may have gone to sleep with even in that time. It had no name, nor much else but it was a memory and he wanted Yates to have it, so that he would feel better and that he could bear the pain.

"Did you see the stars?.. When you hit t' mast?" He asked , all ears.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:30 am

"No, but I didn't know where I was for a moment. Until I hit the cannon, and that told me. It was stupid of me." He looked at the ragged thing in his hand. "I can't take this, Fletch. It's yours, and you keep it." He had had his little stuffed toy when he was young, but he had not brought it with him to sea - he was surprised at Fletcher, who was old enough to train a cannon to kill a Frenchman, but still believed in the power of a doll. Laudanum was a better means of inducing sleep, anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:37 am

Embarassed Fletcher

He nodded gently :" Well, if you'll want it.. I'll have it brought here.. to keep you safe and sound." He smiled , more confident now as he saw young Yates in better spirits and in better enough shape. "wasn' stupid of you to fall. Storm was right bad out there! But now, it's going ,we think. T' wind is less too and you saw how the waves are. Not so dangerous no more. It's even raining less." He looked at his coat and blushed nudging some of the water that collected beneath him away.

"Oh, I came to tell you. The Frenchman we saw. They are trying to flee! We are going after them of course, cap'ns orders!" He smiled brightly, enthusiastically. " They're cowards like. All tail between their legs, and going." He nodded and looked at Yates's arm again and squinted, for it looked like it must've been a lot of pain to have it so.

"Did the doctor tell you how long till you can come join us? .."He shifted on his spot and clasped his hands together:" I think, Yate' . I think you are very brave!"
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:54 am

Mathew De Guarde wrote:"I see." He sighed, for he had about enough of the boy making a bad name of the midshipmen. Chase wouldn't have been calling for him , with the cannon not fairing any different than all the others, if the midshipman was being civil.

He wanted to tell the sailor that he had done the right thing, but thought better of it. Wouldn't do, to congratulate a man for sending a middie away, by their own deed or another's.

" We will be greatful if you will tell us, any of you. " He spoke kindly: "If you know. He is a midshipman.. and it wouldn't do to have anyone, midshipman or sailor, thrown over board because they weren't popular. " He looked at Chase and hoped he understood that he did not blame him, nor suspect him. As much as he was annoyed with the young brat, what was done, was not excusable.

"How's your back, sailor?" He asked then, knowing that after this he would be going, as there could be any time that they would be engaging the enemy, and it would not do to have second senior middie found below and not on his station.

Chase nodded. "Aye sar. If I knew, least." Then he shrugged. "Me back's arright, sar. Shoulders ache a bit but nothin' worryin'."
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Number of posts : 1351

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/player-characters-f4/jacob-

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 am

Cool Kinsella (...well, that smiley is him!)

"Thank you, Chase. I know you would've told us, if you knew." Kinsella may have had a quick temper, but he was as all of the middies, a kind and understanding lad, who cared for the ship and it's crew and wished it to work in harmony.

"Has the doctor told you how long you might still be on light duty?" He asked, for the pair of skilled hands such as Chase's were always very much sought for. He hadn't agreed with the punishment, but had to remain quiet. He was a good man, he wouldn't have done what that lad said. Not Chase atleast, even if there might've been a sailor or two .. no, not even them. This was Terpsy, and the crew was well rounded.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:23 am

"A week or summat, he said, sar, but that's a bit long innit?" Chase said. "Ain't like I can't run up the shrouds, sar."

Which, in the stir of activity after the sighting of the Frog, was exactly what he'd been doing.
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 am

Don't be daft, Fletcher. I am not brave. I passed out earlier, and -"

Peter thought. "I do hope the doctor will let me come up, if we engage with the Frenchman. But I wouldn't be much use. We've had hardly any gunnery practice, and the gun crews know so much more than I do, that I'd feel a real idiot giving them orders. But just to see it would be something, so I'd know about it next time."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:38 am

Embarassed Fletcher

" You passed out because it hurt, I'm sure. Not because you were scared." The boy's trust in Yates didn't waver. He smiled and shook his head. "N' you don't cry now and you are in pain. And I heard you didn't cry when you were being brought here too. I know I would. But you didn't, so you are a brave lad. Yate'."

He listened to what more his friend had to say and he placed his hands at his hips, before he spoke again: "The doctor mus' let you come. You can sit back, if you need. Won't tire yourself that way."

And he looked just a little nervous even if he had had more experience with the guns than the elder middie. "Oh, I hope it goes well. It will, won't it Yates?.. We'll have the French n' the prize. Jus' like that.. won't we?" It was strange how natural it felt that he would look up to the boy, even if it was he that would sometimes be there to show him the way of things. But still he was elder and taller and in many ways a senior too. Like a big brother, amongst the brothers that they both had in the midshipman's berth.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:38 am

Cool Kinsella

"We'll be sure to see you are well, Chase. For your sake and for ours." He smiled and then subtly he added:" We don't want to loose skilled hands and good men."

He looked to the cannon and then at the sailor: "Think you can handle it from here? Might be about time your friends are called back in. The French could be in range any moment. Won't do if we don't give them a proper English greeting, eh?" He grinned.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am

Philip came grumbling up to the two talking- he'd been thinking something like this would happen. "The doctor will let ye up when he reckons ye're ready- and not much before, I'll warrant."

He almost-smiled at the enthusiasm of the youths though, "And have no doubt we'll get that Frog no trouble" ha added, encouragingly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am

Chase - and the others behind him - grinned. "Aye sar, I think we gots it from here. Be on'y too happy to say hullo t'them Frogs properly! Thank you sar."
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:47 am

Philip raised his eyebrows, "Ye'll give those frogs a welcome from me, won't ye now?" he asked, anxiously.

(and then he disappeared because RL hates him)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:54 am

Peter grinned at M'Clure. "I'll be better by the time we catch up with the Frog, though, won't I? Or I won't be able to pass on your message."

He nodded to Fletcher. "Go and do your duty, Fletcher. It's all you can do, and I'm sure we will win. Against a Frog that runs away."

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:59 am

Embarassed Fletcher

He grinned at the surgeon's mate and nodded with enthusiasm only a child could master and then smiled at his friend and replied with equal strength in his voice: "You get yourself better, Yate'! We'll be needing you up there!"

With that and with a small turn for the door, he looked over his shoulder again: "We'll have that Frog yet! And we'll have them hoppin' far and wide in fear! Take care, Yate'!" And then he was gone, happy to share the news of their fellow middie's well being with Dunnock, who went and told Chandos. And it was but Kinsella that was yet to know, but the moment Fletcher could find him, he'd be briefed as thoroughly as if it was a recollection of one battle.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Cool Kinsella

Nodding to the lads and to Chase, Kinsella knew his time was at last up, and thus he motioned for the men to return to their station, a good word of encouragement said at the very last, and then he was heading for the deck, to see that all was prepared as it was meant to be, for once they would have the Frenchy squirming under their bow, there would be no time for buts and maybes and whys and why nots.
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Philip scrunched up his eyes, looking a bit non plussed, then smiled at his patient, "Well, ye mayn't be better fer them t'pass on the message, sir, you know." He grinned, "So long as one of them has something sharp to pass the mossage on with, you shouldn't worry about it at all."

He fussed a bit around the lad, then turned to return to the Dr, looking for his more usual place in this sort of action- though it was just as well he had beent here, "Ye stay here till the good Dr lets ye out, D'hear?" he called, not trusting the lad to remember otherwise when faced with so many eager faces again.

Back to top Go down

Beating to quarters - Page 10 Empty In the orlop

Post  Thomas Crozier Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:05 pm

The irritable surgeon looked up from bandaging seaman Preddie's hand. "M'Clure, keep them out unless they have an injury." He muttered a few choice words as the ship veered and made him stumble. "Or a message from the captain. And fix that light. And clean up that wadding. And Preddie..." He paused for a calming breath. "You're fine now. Go." He glared around the orlop and muttered to no one in particular, "Why do we have to have a chase during a storm...?"
Thomas Crozier
Thomas Crozier
Lieutenant

Species : In Memoria
Number of posts : 504

https://showthecolours.forumakers.com/characters-f4/thomas-crozie

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob Chase Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Relieved at Kinsella's departure, even though the lad's presence had been a fine deterrent, Chase turned back to his mates around their gun. "Betcha the cap'n's gonna wait 'til we're right up on 'em, 'fore we run out." He found himself grinning, even though by now it was too late to venture up the shrouds for the moment.
Jacob Chase
Jacob Chase
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathew De Guarde Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Cool Kinsella

The second senior midshipman sought out the young miscreant with his glass. There must've been an exchange between them, for they took a little more, to ever begin for the deck.

He took the offered and turned it around to see if it were in one piece and well and uncracked. Once sure, he looked at the midshipman and nodded:" You'll be standin' with me now." He said and motioned that the lad should follow. "Got our dirk, with you?"

De Guarde confirmed it by bringing the sharp edged weapon up for inspection. Kinsella studied it briefly He knew, as all middies that it was small and less able to do much damage to the enemy, but it was still theirs to use, and if able the lads could inflict a fair enough damage as well. "Good." He nodded to the boy. " We might yet need to board them." Keeping the lad under a watchful eye, they ascended onto the deck. Kinsella lifted his glass to see the Frenchman and observe the lively movement atop it's deck. It was trying to escape, but it wasn't right unprepared should they catch up.

Perhaps it was only a ruse. Have them follow till the wind was favourable to the enemy? Well, they'd sure show those Frogs! Fry them in what they've cooked up themselves! To his side, the middie stood quietly, observing the ship as well. Steadying himself against the railing, he looked to have been fair subdued.

(After that a little while, Mathew and Chase are summoned here : Summons )

Last edited by Mathew De Guarde on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Mathew De Guarde
Mathew De Guarde
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next